A story about a pathetic man's downfall

Francisco 2.0

On 4/29/2022 at 9:44 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

The myth of Trump being a savvy businessman, a capable deal maker, and a strong leader is sort of central to the topic at hand, isn’t it? Then there’s also the reality that so many self-proclaimed Christians believe in such an utterly un-Christian man, at least “Christian” as defined by the teachings of Jesus Christ in the Bible.

Speaking of myths, I moved about six months ago and when I was cleaning out my attic I located my long misplaced copy of The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell. It’s worth a read.

896F96DC-983D-43BB-B872-A18C770D33D1.png.4cb8f883ce1d96bf72e27c4a88d24e79.png

All religions are true, yet none is literal. -Joseph Campbell/paraphrased

Trump was masterful at playing the GOP presidential field in 2016 whether intentional or just his natural inclination. He was the guy who walked into a room and punched the biggest guy there. He's the bully in the room. The WWE wrestler giving an interview.

The others candidates loved it when the top candidate was Trump's target, and they each thought they would be the last person left standing.  They really had no clue how to handle Trump and figured that the GOP voters to see what a phony Trump was. The rest is history.

• Rage+1 1

On 4/29/2022 at 3:14 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

I’d still like to know why he hasn’t been jailed for the same campaign finance violations that got his attorney Michael Cohen thrown in jail. That’s an open and shut case.

For one thing, it's a pretty chickenshit felony (see Dinesh D'Souza).  For another, Trump may have had just enough deniability as to what the money was for that prosecuting would have been somewhat problematic for the "reward."  https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/pr/michael-cohen-pleads-guilty-manhattan-federal-court-eight-counts-including-criminal-tax

Cohen got three years and had bank fraud and tax evasion among his crimes.

29 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Buck was talking about campaign finance violations only from the Stormy Daniels thing.

Why shouldn’t that be enough? It was also about paying off Karen McDougal. Those are felonies, right? Why isn’t that deserving of jail time? 

That’s just one of his many crimes that we know about. And other than Cohen’s crimes relating to NYC taxi cab “medallions,” which of his crimes haven’t also been committed by Trump? Were any of those committed in service of Trump? Or just inspired by Trump as part of his criminal syndicate?

That fucker should be dangling at the end of a rope for being a traitor to American constitutional democracy. Why he’s not at least in jail by now will forever escape my understanding. He must be paying off the right people.

• Rage+1 1

29 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Why shouldn’t that be enough? It was also about paying off Karen McDougal. Those are felonies, right? Why isn’t that deserving of jail time? 

That’s just one of his many crimes that we know about. And other than Cohen’s crimes relating to NYC taxi cab “medallions,” which of his crimes haven’t also been committed by Trump? Were any of those committed in service of Trump? Or just inspired by Trump as part of his criminal syndicate?

That fucker should be dangling at the end of a rope for being a traitor to American constitutional democracy. Why he’s not at least in jail by now will forever escape my understanding. He must be paying off the right people.

you may be "technically" wrong, but you're not wrong. 

• Like 1

Deniability is Trump's mafia boss m.o.

The optics aren't good for jailing ex-presidents. I'm also worried that this impeachment thing becomes a constant empty threat to future leaders and wastes our time while taking our sights off the real issues.

I very much would like to see him lose his financial backing, but even then there are trumpsters ponying up huge bucks so that he's got a plane.

Trump and OJ will golf daily until they die.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Nolacycling said:

Trump and OJ will golf daily until they die.

At least OJ isn’t a threat to society. Trump, Pence, and Kushner put my personal health and safety at risk more than OJ ever could, for one thing. And OJ isn’t a threat to democracy. Herschel Walker scares me more than OJ.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I make some allowance because Trump was "Person-1" in Cohen's indictment on the election violations, which sure makes it seem like a very "provable" offense.

However, Cohen wasn't actually indicted.  it was a "package deal" where the indictment (actually an information, which is less formal and rarely subject to proof) was filed the day he pled guilty.  And, there were other substantial felonies contained in that information, including the 30-year bank fraud, and tax evasion to the tune of a couple of million in taxes.

We really don't know what provable crimes are out there.  We have pretty good ideas, but in the final analysis, it's all armchair prosecution.  The fact is that Cohen's crimes were never proven. And it's a faulty assumption that just because Trump was recited in Cohen's information, for his role in that shitfest, that he would be easily proven guilty.  And, while campaign/election violation crimes are five year felonies, theoretically, using D'Souza as an example, he got eight months halfway house, not even actual prison time.  That game is arguably not worth the prosecution candle, especially if there are weaknesses in the proof, which there very well could be.  Namely, that Cohen's jury credibility is probably nil, even though we know he's telling the truth, and there was probably enough deniability for reasonable doubt as to exactly why Person-1 was cutting those checks.

Edited by TwiceHorn

31 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

My body is ready. And so are my finances. I borrowed as much as I could against every asset I have, and then quickly sold those assets. And dumped all of that into LGB crypto.  All that’s left is to select the beach from which I will be earning 20%. 

To be truly free, you need a seastead off the coast of Panama.

I like the reply that said this won’t even move the needle. Bullshit, it definitely will - his supported will LOVE this, he’s tough and fighting for us! Their enthusiasm for him will only increase. Because that’s how violent death cults work.

Biden said the same thing.  Not 'both sides' , just interesting.

Very interesting…and very different-

TRUMP: Trump said he wanted the military to go in and “beat the fuck” out of Black Lives Matter protesters and that he said, “Just shoot them,” on multiple occasions. Trump only toned down the order to shoot them in the “leg” or “foot” after Attorney General William Barr and Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Mark Milley pushed back on his initial request. (Rolling Stone)

BIDEN: “Instead of standing there and teaching a cop when there’s an unarmed person coming at them with a knife or something, shoot them in the leg instead of in the heart,” Biden said, going on to argue that “There’s a lot of different things that can change” in police training. (New York Post)

What exactly is your point ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Surlymermaid said:

Very interesting…and very different-

TRUMP: Trump said he wanted the military to go in and “beat the fuck” out of Black Lives Matter protesters and that he said, “Just shoot them,” on multiple occasions. Trump only toned down the order to shoot them in the “leg” or “foot” after Attorney General William Barr and Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Mark Milley pushed back on his initial request. (Rolling Stone)

BIDEN: “Instead of standing there and teaching a cop when there’s an unarmed person coming at them with a knife or something, shoot them in the leg instead of in the heart,” Biden said, going on to argue that “There’s a lot of different things that can change” in police training. (New York Post)

What exactly is your point ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah, I was responding to the tweet I quoted.  I didn't read an article. 

My point was the tweet and Biden's statement both had 'shoot them in the leg.'  Both are stupid statements, imo.

Edited by MC Fresh Breath

Ah, I was responding to the tweet I quoted.  I didn't read an article. 
My point was the tweet and Biden's statement both had 'shoot them in the leg.'  Both are stupid statements, imo.

Not stupid. Just imprudent. But a President should say something like “nonlethal force”

Yeah, Trump got jiggy with it. He’s a dumb, fat Putin:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/24/politics/bender-book-trump-milley-protests/index.html

"That's how you're supposed to handle these people," Trump told his top law enforcement and military officials, according to Bender. "Crack their skulls!"
Trump also told his team that he wanted the military to go in and "beat the f--k out" of the civil rights protesters, Bender writes…

"Just shoot them," Trump said on multiple occasions inside the Oval Office, according to the excerpts.
When Milley and then-Attorney General William Barr would push back, Trump toned it down, but only slightly, Bender adds
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

Atheists figured out how to prove a negative? 

We don’t need to. That which is asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. It’s not incumbent on the non-believer to prove the non-existence of God. To argue otherwise is fallacious.

There are signs, though, that are pretty hard to miss. Like how humankind has existed for hundreds of thousands of years (more or less) before anyone’s current conception of “God” was invented. Then there are the writings in so-called scripture that contradict themselves so much that they can’t all be true, but they could all be false. And then there are the examples set by the self-professed believers whose acts of intolerance and cruelty betray the fact that it’s all bullshit.

Humans have a tendency for superstition and hallucination. Have you ever known a sports fan who has a lucky t-shirt? Or who will change their shirt when their team is losing? I’ve known guys who, when playing dealer’s choice poker, will deal the same game they just won because they want to, and I quote, “appease the poker gods.” Human psychology isn’t hard to understand. Get rid of all religions today and new ones will be created tomorrow.

But hey, if I’m wrong and God exists then he knows my address. He’s welcome to show himself anytime. 

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

We don’t need to. That which is asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. It’s not incumbent on the non-believer to prove the non-existence of God. To argue otherwise is fallacious.

There are signs, though, that are pretty hard to miss. Like how humankind has existed for hundreds of thousands of years (more or less) before anyone’s current conception of “God” was invented. Then there are the writings in so-called scripture that contradict themselves so much that they can’t all be true, but they could all be false. And then there are the examples set by the self-professed believers whose acts of intolerance and cruelty betray the fact that it’s all bullshit.

Humans have a tendency for superstition and hallucination. Have you ever known a sports fan who has a lucky t-shirt? Or who will change their shirt when their team is losing? I’ve known guys who, when playing dealer’s choice poker, will deal the same game they just won because they want to, and I quote, “appease the poker gods.” Human psychology isn’t hard to understand. Get rid of all religions today and new ones will be created tomorrow.

But hey, if I’m wrong and God exists then he knows my address. He’s welcome to show himself anytime. 

I’m not trying to convince you of anything. I respect your right to believe what you will.

But saying atheism Isn’t a belief, too? Your argument doesn’t convince me. 

Perhaps you could share the fallacy involved? Because it seems atheists are making a claim: that there is no God.

In the Torah, God defines Himself, in part, as a totality of all that is seen and unseen. That partial definition jibes with our understanding of matter, and predates our knowledge of dark matter by millennia. Further, the creation myth put down in Genesis  largely correlates  (though pendants are free to disagree) our understanding of how we cane to be. There were plants prior to animal life, creatures began in the water, birds before mammals. These things do not contradict what science believes. Lucky guess?

Much of common belief about the creation myth doesn’t correspond to what was written. For instance, Adam was not the first human. Further, what was written had earlier been an oral tradition. In this, the Torah is not unique. Oral traditions rely on literal fidelity. Separating the literal transference of narrative when the narrative is allegorical has been problematic. As evidenced in your argument against the existence of God.

Edited by Willfully Horn
Puncted

Thanks, you've thoroughly shared your thoughts on aethesim thoroughly in various threads unrelated to religion. Bravo talking to yourself.

I'm impressed; you've totally changed my faith with your dizzying intellect.

Thanks, you've thoroughly shared your thoughts on aethesim thoroughly in various threads unrelated to religion. Bravo talking to yourself.

I'm impressed; you've totally changed my faith with your dizzying intellect.

Groovy. I’m a man of faith. But his first lines are absolutely correct. Atheists have no burden of proof. They simply point to the lack of proof, and say “things that are not proven, I do not believe.” That is sound logical and evidence-based reasoning. Believe in God is a matter of faith, not proof. That’s okay, too. Both things are what they are.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Groovy. I’m a man of faith. But his first lines are absolutely correct. Atheists have no burden of proof. They simply point to the lack of proof, and say “things that are not proven, I do not believe.” That is sound logical and evidence-based reasoning. Believe in God is a matter of faith, not proof. That’s okay, too. Both things are what they are.

So, it is reasonable to not believe in the existence of dark matter? I get that it makes the numbers work. Yet there’s  no empirical proof.

Edited by Willfully Horn

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This may be semantics but you are actually describing agnosticism. Atheism is affirmative belief that there is no God. Absence of proof is not proof of absence. That is the appeal to ignorance fallacy. Could also be denying the antecedent depending on how the argument is made

• Bozo_Casanova changed the title to Poll: President Trump's Major Announcement