A story about a pathetic man's downfall

Francisco 2.0

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It was somewhat funny when I worked in a cubicle farm at a tech company 20 years ago.  But only because web comics weren't as prevalent back then.

Back then, you could read a comic strip or watch a TV show and say "wow, I know these words" or "wow, this situation is somewhat relatable" and that would be enough to make you feel like it was "good."

50 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

And, of course, half the board disagrees with me about bush, but I'll be pro-wax till i die. 

Disappointed King Of The Hill GIF

Just now, chainsaw said:

Back then, you could read a comic strip or watch a TV show and say "wow, I know these words" or "wow, this situation is somewhat relatable" and that would be enough to make you feel like it was "good."

Perry Bible Fellowship ruined me on a lot of other comics.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

That's one of several such statutes that he could be prosecuted under, I believe, depending on the nature of the information.

But you fucking know that he thought he was increasing the penalty for when Hilary was prosecuted.

But, he's such a constitutional moron that he doesn't have any inkling about the ex post facto clause.

ok, so as one of our resident lawdogs who has a tendency to push back against things that "seem obvious in theory", how can trump be stopped from running (or winning) in 2024, even if this investigation ends with that exact penalty.  

we all know he's not going to prison.  house arrest would be great, but i'm on the record saying a "win" for me is him not being allowed to run (or losing the primary), and his life becoming ~uncomfortable, either because of constant lawsuits, depositions, hearings, money issues, whatever.  that's my idea of realistic expectations, high as they may be.

so how would it work?  let's game it out.  he can obviously hold rallies - anyone can - if they have the $ and people will come to it.  he can raise money, again, anyone can (i think) as long as people are stupid enough to send it to him (it's not like he didn't have to already fold a college and a charity because of fraud).

so he enters into a plea deal where he's not allowed to hold office.  then let's say he campaigns, raises money, goes on tv, holds rallies - then what?  who decides that he can't run?  i understand he likely won't be on the general ballot in some states, but let's be honest - he wasn't going to win those states anyway.  i guess he won't be involved in enough primaries to win the nomination, especially if someone like desantis pushes hard enough?

and then at the convention...they would still have to decide to nominate desantis.  though trump would spend months working on getting every poll to say that desantis would lose in the general - that's the only play in his playbook.  so he tries to fuck with the convention, open it up, force a floor vote?  at some point, people will say "he's not allowed to hold office again" but what guardrails are there?  trump's biggest strength is finding the lack of guardrails and exploiting it and doing whatever he wants.

so let's say there are enough idiots to nominate him after all that (i mean, this is a republican convention, right?), and there are enough red states that will have him on the ballot while he appeals and litigates his way around his plea that he claims was unfair or some shit.  then what if he wins?  am i supposed to think the supreme court won't swear him in?  and he likely would/will win because of all the shenanigans he's already pulling to election security on the state level.

so please someone, explain to me exactly how all that would work, because in our current climate, i don't consider what i wrote to be some overdramatic fictional piece of fantasy.  in fact, it seems based in reality.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 4

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

ok, so as one of our resident lawdogs who has a tendency to push back against things that "seem obvious in theory", how can trump be stopped from running (or winning) in 2024, even if this investigation ends with that exact penalty.  

we all know he's not going to prison.  house arrest would be great, but i'm on the record saying a "win" for me is him not being allowed to run (or losing the primary), and his life becoming ~uncomfortable, either because of constant lawsuits, depositions, hearings, money issues, whatever.  that's my idea of realistic expectations, high as they may be.

so how would it work?  let's game it out.  he can obviously hold rallies - anyone can - if they have the $ and people will come to it.  he can raise money, again, anyone can (i think) as long as people are stupid enough to send it to him (it's not like he didn't have to already fold a college and a charity because of fraud).

so he enters into a plea deal where he's not allowed to hold office.  then let's say he campaigns, raises money, goes on tv, holds rallies - then what?  who decides that he can't run?  i understand he likely won't be on the general ballot in some states, but let's be honest - he wasn't going to win those states anyway.  i guess he won't be involved in enough primaries to win the nomination, especially if someone like desantis pushes hard enough?

and then at the convention...they would still have to decide to nominate desantis.  though trump would spend months working on getting every poll to say that desantis would lose in the general - that's the only play in his playbook.  so he tries to fuck with the convention, open it up, force a floor vote?  at some point, people will say "he's not allowed to hold office again" but what guardrails are there?  trump's biggest strength is finding the lack of guardrails and exploiting it and doing whatever he wants.

so let's say there are enough idiots to nominate him after all that (i mean, this is a republican convention, right?), and there are enough red states that will have him on the ballot while he appeals and litigates his way around his plea that he claims was unfair or some shit.  then what if he wins?  am i supposed to think the supreme court won't swear him in?  and he likely would/will win because of all the shenanigans he's already pulling to election security on the state level.

so please someone, explain to me exactly how all that would work, because in our current climate, i don't consider what i wrote to be some overdramatic fictional piece of fantasy.  in fact, it seems based in reality.

A lot of reputable people think the provision is unconstitutional because the Constitution dictates eligibility requirements for federal office.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I can name a couple of many anomolies in the election that make no sense to me.  
1st how did Biden get to 81 million votes without taking any from Trump?  Trump actually got more votes too than his first election.  That never happened in history...
2nd How did Trump win all but one of the 19 Belweather counties and both of the Belweather states and still lose?  
Can you clear those up for me?  

Lmao what?

Are you under the impression the number of people voting in successive elections is static? You’re under the impression that no second term president has ever gotten more votes in their second election than their first? Are you serious?

Are you under the impression that Ohio was thought of a bellwether because it was ordained by god to pick the President, not because it was relatively reflective of national demographics and political coalitions, but if which have shifted over time?

This is a troll bit, right?

Just now, gmr548 said:

Lmao what?

Are you under the impression the number of people voting in successive elections is static? You’re under the impression that no second term president has ever gotten more votes in their second election than their first? Are you serious?

Are you under the impression that Ohio was thought of a bellwether because it was ordained by god to pick the President, not because it was relatively reflective of national demographics and political coalitions, but if which have shifted over time?

This is a troll bit, right?

Uh Huh Reaction GIF by Originals

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Jesus. I’ve heard the names of more of Trump’s lawyers than the names of the lawyers for all the other Presidents during my lifetime combined. 

Well he has 320 of them on retainer 

14 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

A lot of reputable people think the provision is unconstitutional because the Constitution dictates eligibility requirements for federal office.

not surprising.  i will need someone to explain the enforceability of it all before i pretend to get interested. 

a lot of presidential expectations were not based on laws, they were based on decency, pride, shame, and a general attitude of giving a shit about america and americans.

trump's problem isn't that he lacks these things.  trump's problem is that he supports the opposite of all of them.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I think the bold is where you are wrong.  A goodly percentage didn't watch and just had a vague impression that he was being picked on.
But 1/6 and the going on 24 months of the big lie, and they're starting to notice that their man is a little  . . .  problematic.

Probably a fair point regarding level of engagement/info. Still, I think we’ve seen enough mental gymnastics out of Republicans and R leaning independents that assuming a significant number would defect is unwise. Staying home is the best thing you can hope for.

I wish I didn’t agree with that take, but I do. It’s not Comgress’s place to set an eligibility requirement for federal elected office. It’s a constitutional matter.

And does the is mean that I think that MAGAs would nominate and elect Trump POTUS while he was sitting in a prison cell? 100%
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I wish I didn’t agree with that take, but I do. It’s not Comgress’s place to set an eligibility requirement for federal elected office. It’s a constitutional matter.

And does the is mean that I think that MAGAs would nominate and elect Trump POTUS while he was sitting in a prison cell? 100%

Can't the same argument be applied to packing the supreme court? And hasn't the size of the court changed over the years?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

Republicans take the House and Senate and vote to change the law.  

Trump shouldn't have been able to run the first time since he was compromised and paid off prostitutes, was bankrolled by a foreign bank, and had foreign help spreading disinformation.  He breaks decorum, rules, and laws and Republicans shield him.  Why would this be any different? 

• Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, SaucyJack said:

Point of info:

The President does not appoint Federal Magistrate Judges.

Federal District Judges appoint the Magistrates in their respective districts (8 year terms).

I read earlier in the thread that Sean Hannity revealed the identity of the magistrate judge. I don't know who it was, but are you saying that magistrate was appointed by a Trump judge?

Just now, SaucyJack said:

ZT37COJLQ5CQXD7AGIXRSIL7Y4.jpg

Yeah I would have gone with Duece Bigalow over Richmeister too.

Sure but why can't Congress add new qualifications for office? Is that forbidden somewhere?

The qualifications are set by the constitution; congress can’t change that part of the constitution just like it can’t change any other per of the constitution. If you want to change something set by the constitution, you have to amend the constitution.
  • Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

I read earlier in the thread that Sean Hannity revealed the identity of the magistrate judge. I don't know who it was, but are you saying that magistrate was appointed by a Trump judge?

Yeah I would have gone with Duece Bigalow over Richmeister too.

No, the magistrate was appointed by the Federal Judges of the Southern district of Florida.

https://www.flsd.uscourts.gov/district-judgesorida

https://www.flsd.uscourts.gov/magistrate-judges

Edited by SaucyJack
add mags
  • Hook 'Em 2

I’m not a ledge guy but the back and forth over if material civil strife could be instigated by some flashpoint moment in all this did get me thinking. 

if you are a country hostile to us…aren’t you gameplanning assassinating Trump and making it look like the dirty libs did it?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Hell, his dumbass probably thought this new law he was signing made it legal for him to take whatever he wanted.

No, he thought that, because he was president, he was above any law he signed. He thought that this law was for other people, not for him.

• Hook 'Em 3

27 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Republicans take the House and Senate and vote to change the law.  

Trump shouldn't have been able to run the first time since he was compromised and paid off prostitutes, was bankrolled by a foreign bank, and had foreign help spreading disinformation.  He breaks decorum, rules, and laws and Republicans shield him.  Why would this be any different? 

Biden would veto and they wouldn’t get 2/3 to override. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

Just noticed how he awkwardly grabs the Bible as if he’s figuring out contemporaneously how to hold it, and then holds it thumb forward like an idiot.  

I wish someone would have asked him to name a single book in the Bible. Just one.

• Bozo_Casanova changed the title to Poll: President Trump's Major Announcement