A story about a pathetic man's downfall

Francisco 2.0

32 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Republicans take the House and Senate and vote to change the law.  

Trump shouldn't have been able to run the first time since he was compromised comprised and paid off prostitutes, was bankrolled by a foreign bank, and had foreign help spreading disinformation.  He breaks decorum, rules, and laws and Republicans shield him.  Why would this be any different? 

Fixed for Boobert

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

That was done earlier, and the response was "that's very personal, and I'm not gonna answer that.  It's very private" or some such.

Maybe the question was "which is your favorite" but surely "name one book" implicates no such privacy concerns

The qualifications are set by the constitution; congress can’t change that part of the constitution just like it can’t change any other per of the constitution. If you want to change something set by the constitution, you have to amend the constitution.

You mean like declaring war, setting tariffs, paying all debts, things like that?
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, CTC2 said:

A lot of reputable people think the provision is unconstitutional because the Constitution dictates eligibility requirements for federal office.

Unfortunately, that seems like a really pretty good argument as applied to those whose eligibility is addressed by the Constitution.

46 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Just noticed how he awkwardly grabs the Bible as if he’s figuring out contemporaneously how to hold it, and then holds it thumb forward like an idiot.  

Well, you'd hold it funny too if it was burning you.  Because it was burning him.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, SaucyJack said:

No, the magistrate was appointed by the Federal Judges of the Southern district of Florida.

https://www.flsd.uscourts.gov/district-judgesorida

https://www.flsd.uscourts.gov/magistrate-judges

I had said earlier that I thought a district judge could sign a search warrant.  Apparently not.

Magistrates are like "assistant judges."  There's almost nothing they can do that a District Judge can't do (but there's a lot DJs can do that magistrates can't in most circumstances).  However, hearing and signing/granting search warrants is apparently one of them.  https://www.law.cornell.edu/rules/frcrmp/rule_41

Representative Scott Perry says the F.B.I. seized his cellphone today.  It might be related, or it could be related to the 1/6 investigation. 

WASHINGTON — The F.B.I. on Tuesday seized the cellphone of Representative Scott Perry, Republican of Pennsylvania and the chairman of the ultraconservative House Freedom Caucus, according to the congressman’s office.

Mr. Perry, who has been issued a subpoena by the House committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol, said three F.B.I. agents seized his phone Tuesday morning while he was traveling with family.

“They made no attempt to contact my lawyer, who would have made arrangements for them to have my phone if that was their wish,” Mr. Perry said in a statement. “I’m outraged — though not surprised — that the F.B.I., under the direction of Merrick Garland’s D.O.J., would seize the phone of a sitting member of Congress.”

His statement was reported earlier by Fox News.

Mr. Perry compared the seizure of his cellphone to the F.B.I.’s search of former President Donald J. Trump’s Mar-a-Lago property Monday, in which agents took out boxes of materials after an all-day search related to an investigation into the mishandling of White House documents.

“My phone contains info about my legislative and political activities, and personal/private discussions with my wife, family, constituents and friends. None of this is the government’s business,” Mr. Perry said. “As with President Trump last night, D.O.J. chose this unnecessary and aggressive action instead of simply contacting my attorneys. These kinds of banana republic tactics should concern every citizen.”

It was not immediately clear why the F.B.I. had seized Mr. Perry’s phone. A spokeswoman for the congressman did not respond right away to a follow-up question, and the Justice Department did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Mr. Perry has refused to appear before the Jan. 6 committee, and his lawyer has argued that there was “nothing improper” about his actions during the buildup to the attack on the Capitol.

In the weeks after the 2020 election, Mr. Perry was among at least 11 members of Congress who were involved in discussions with White House officials about overturning the election, including plans to pressure Vice President Mike Pence to throw out electoral votes from states won by President Biden, according to the committee. Mr. Perry also endorsed the idea of encouraging supporters to march to the Capitol, the committee has said.

A member of Congress since 2013, Mr. Perry also compiled a dossier of voter fraud allegations and coordinated a plan to try to replace the acting attorney general, who was resisting Mr. Trump’s attempts to overturn the election, with a more compliant official.

Mr. Perry is not the only ally of Mr. Trump whose phone has been seized in recent weeks. In June, federal agents seized the phone of John Eastman, the conservative lawyer who advised Mr. Trump on strategies to overturn the election.

The seizure of Mr. Eastman’s phone was carried out by F.B.I. agents acting on behalf of the Justice Department’s Office of the Inspector General. It came the same day that federal agents raided the home and seized the electronic devices of Jeffrey Clark, a former Justice Department official who was central to Mr. Trump’s attempts to coerce the department’s leaders into backing his false claims of fraud in the election.

The inspector general’s office, which has jurisdiction over investigations of Justice Department employees, also issued the warrant in the search of Mr. Clark’s home. The warrant indicated that prosecutors are investigating Mr. Clark for charges that include conspiracy to obstruct the certification of the presidential election.

Mr. Perry was instrumental in introducing Mr. Clark to Mr. Trump, and pushing for Mr. Clark to be installed as acting attorney general.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/09/us/scott-perry-cellphone-fbi.html

Edited by Dutchrudder
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

Anastasiastic

we need a companion to aggypedia...

surlypedia.com

with entries like "bigboy", "sitting", "preacher boy", "porta-potty-girl", and with hundreds of others, likely the first entry alphabetically, this word, you have so masterfully crafted....

Anastasiastic

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Js1 said:

Gotta be way more than just classified docs 

tonight woodward said it's stuff that's classification is classified

that's way beyond sources, methods, or bluffdale

we're in to capabilities, technologies, real heavy shit

you can try to steal the election

you can try to overthrow the government

but the one thing you absolutely positively never do is fuck with the boys

11 hours ago, TexasEd said:

With the exception of twitter and text Trump is a luddite or technophobe.  He had everything printed for him to read. 

The people who printed it had to mark it, put a cover sheet on it, put it in an appropriately labeled and color coded envelope and it had to be securely stored and tracked until it was destroyed and then it would be taken off the printed inventory list.

The President’s daily brief was a hard doc till Obama’s second term. Would not surprise me at all if Trump preferred a hard copy, lots of senior people do.

There are other reasons to have hard copies, for instance someone needs to be read in and they have clearance but not systems access.  There are cover sheets and handling instructions for exactly these reasons. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Just noticed how he awkwardly grabs the Bible as if he’s figuring out contemporaneously how to hold it, and then holds it thumb forward like an idiot.  

Because his hand was burning like a motherfucker.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

I’m not a ledge guy but the back and forth over if material civil strife could be instigated by some flashpoint moment in all this did get me thinking. 

if you are a country hostile to us…aren’t you gameplanning assassinating Trump and making it look like the dirty libs did it?

No, I’d be trying to get him back in office.
  • Hook 'Em 3

24 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Well, this is fun.  Eric Trump is an idiot.

So, yeah, that is not how that is supposed to work at all.  Not a shock to any of us, but still to have it said so blatently.

In light of the murder and dismemberment of Jamal Khashoggi, I wonder if the Trump family would like to revise his statement about knowledge and approval?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 3

31 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Well, this is fun.  Eric Trump is an idiot.

So, yeah, that is not how that is supposed to work at all.  Not a shock to any of us, but still to have it said so blatently.

Also, fuck Andrew Cuomo. Criminals obviously stick together.

I think the most likely answer is that ET does not, in fact, know what he's talking about.

But the next mostly likely answer is that the Trump White House was, in fact, all up in the DOJ's business like no other.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

So, apparently Trump is giving his deposition to the NY AG today.  I'm kind of digging that he's probably agitated af.

I'm digging all of this.  While Trump is a veteran of civil cases, many or most of which he initiated, I'm relatively certain he's never been under the gun like this before.  His insecurity and ego have to be absolutely wilding out about now.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

Yeah, the GOP playbook here is obvious.

1. This is Joe Biden and/or Nancy Pelosi weaponizing the Justice Department to settle personal political scores.

2. Any evidence obtained from the search was planted by the FBI.  They protected Hillary and they're framing Trump.

3. They are trying to steal the next election from Trump by making him ineligible, just like they stole the last one.  [Surprised I haven't heard this one yet, but they'll get to it]

There are a lot of problems with this reasoning, but it will make perfect sense to their heavily armed horde.

The GOP is dog whistling for violence.  And I'm afraid it's gonna work.

Edited by TexArcher

21 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

So, apparently Trump is giving his deposition to the NY AG today.  I'm kind of digging that he's probably agitated af.

I'm digging all of this.  While Trump is a veteran of civil cases, many or most of which he initiated, I'm relatively certain he's never been under the gun like this before.  His insecurity and ego have to be absolutely wilding out about now.

Has he ever actually been in a courthouse? I wonder how he going to like going through security.

31 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Yeah, the GOP playbook here is obvious.

1. This is Joe Biden and/or Nancy Pelosi weaponizing the Justice Department to settle personal political scores.

2. Any evidence obtained from the search was planted by the FBI.  They protected Hillary and they're framing Trump.

3. They are trying to steal the next election from Trump by making him ineligible, just like they stole the last one.  [Surprised I haven't heard this one yet, but they'll get to it]

There are a lot of problems with this reasoning, but it will make perfect sense to their heavily armed horde.

The GOP is dog whistling for violence.  And I'm afraid it's gonna work.

Good. Let them get violent. 

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I figured that was why he was in NYC.  Fuck him.  If I were not so busy this week, I would totally have gone down with a sarcastic sign and protested his continued existence.  I heard there were actually MAGA folks supporting him on 5th.  I should go have lunch at Bergdorf's sidewalk cafe and look down my nose at them. Cult members.

• Fuck You 1

27 minutes ago, RPM said:

Has he ever actually been in a courthouse? I wonder how he going to like going through security.

Depositions happen in conference rooms just about anywhere. Although I’m sure he will have to go to court at some point for the defamation/rape case against him 

50 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

So, apparently Trump is giving his deposition to the NY AG today. 

That is Letitia James, correct? Oh that is not going to trouble him at all, at all. An intelligent African-American female attorney who has called him on the carpet to face consequences.....

very glad he has no twitter....

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

You want political violence?

I think he believes if there is some violence by the extreme right, a lot of the folks who are following along (i.e. the Fatties of the world who are one issue voters) will be so disgusted that they start realizing how fucked up Trump and his supporters really are.  At least that is what I think he meant.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I think he believes if there is some violence by the extreme right, a lot of the folks who are following along (i.e. the Fatties of the world who are one issue voters) will be so disgusted that they start realizing how fucked up Trump and his supporters really are.  At least that is what I think he meant.

Exactly correct. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

That and because they will get arrested, fucked up, or both.

• Hook 'Em 5

6 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

5 minutes ago, immamac said:

Exactly correct. 

Idi Amin GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

• Bozo_Casanova changed the title to Poll: President Trump's Major Announcement