A story about a pathetic man's downfall

Francisco 2.0

Just now, Beau Vine said:

Jesus, that was pointless.  Merrick's pic needs to go in the dictionary next to the definition of "milquetoast."

Seems that his only point was to emphasize the necessity of the search warrant and scold the magat terrorists. 

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

That press conference could have been accomplished by a press release or tweet.

Big "meeting should have been an e-mail" energy

Just now, mdmost said:

TV is better than a press release. It put Trump on notice for all of America to see. 

Actually that's a better point than mine. Posrep

2 hours ago, Covri said:

OH SHIT! PHASE 2!!!

Oh shit, watch your ass next time you get some coffee (linky).

Starbucks To Begin Sinister 'Phase Two' Of Operation

SEATTLE–After a decade of aggressive expansion throughout North America and abroad, Starbucks suddenly and unexpectedly closed its 2,870 worldwide locations Monday to prepare for what company insiders are calling “Phase Two” of the company’s long-range plan.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

That press conference could have been accomplished by a press release or tweet.

Sure.  But this is the sitting AG executing a search warrant for the premises of the prior President.  I want him to stand up and say - I signed off on this personally.  I do not take that act lightly.  But we follow the law here.  

Sure that could all be in a statement, but I think the Country needed to hear it.  Not that it will change the mind of any one on the right. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

About the sealed filing added to the docket today: It's the property receipt.

Consistent with standard practice in this Court, the search warrant and attachments were each filed under seal in Case No. 22-mj-8332-BER prior to the search; the Property Receipt was filed under seal today. Former President Trump, through counsel, was provided copies of each of these documents on August 8, 2022, as part of the execution of the search.

From DOJ's motion to unseal. Read into it as much as you'd like.

The unsealing of judicial materials pursuant to the common-law right of access “requires a balancing of competing interests.” Chicago Tribune Co., 263 F.3d at 1311. “In balancing the public interest in accessing court documents against a party’s interest in keeping the information confidential, courts consider, among other factors, whether allowing access would impair court functions or harm legitimate privacy interests, the degree of and likelihood of injury if made public, the reliability of the information, whether there will be an opportunity to respond to the information, whether the information concerns public officials or public concerns, and the availability of a less onerous alternative to sealing the documents.” Romero, 480 F.3d at 1246. 2 Given the intense public interest presented by a search of a residence of a former President, the government believes these factors favor unsealing the search warrant, its accompanying Attachments A and B, and the Property Receipt, absent objection from the former President.

That said, the former President should have an opportunity to respond to this Motion and lodge objections, including with regards to any “legitimate privacy interests” or the potential for other “injury” if these materials are made public. Romero, 480 F.3d at 1246. To that end, the government will furnish counsel for the former President with a copy of this Motion.

Edited by Chopper

5 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

seems like nonsense.  the doj never thought this was going to be quiet.  

also vladeck is sort of embarrassing in the amount of online fame he covets.

I find Vladeck to be an excellent twatterer. Very astute. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Yeah how dare one of the country's leading experts on national security law give his opinion about a topical matter...

also, gfy.

Edited by Chopper
typo
  • Hook 'Em 3

I think the DOJ and FBI did this as quietly as possible.  They did not want a spectacle, but some 12 hours later by nightfall the merry Trumpsters were showing their support in the usual manner, driving in a circle with lots a flag waving.  But fuck... 12 hours later?  That is pretty stealthy in all honesty for something this big.  Don't know how the DOJ could have been more stealthy really.

Bottom line is a guy with no morals and no principles took shit he should not have.  I sure as shit hope that fat penalty increase he signed into law as an attack on Clinton bites him in that dimpled gelatinous ass.   

8 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

seems like nonsense.  the doj never thought this was going to be quiet.  

It is the perfect antidote to trump flooding the channel with horseshit. Rarely has any entity responded to that effectively. 

I assume that it will be embarrassing as fuck. To a normal human being with a conscience. 

1 minute ago, horn4life said:

I think the DOJ and FBI did this as quietly as possible.  They did not want a spectacle, but some 12 hours later by nightfall the merry Trumpsters were showing their support in the usual manner, driving in a circle with lots a flag waving.  But fuck... 12 hours later?  That is pretty stealthy in all honesty for something this big.  Don't know how the DOJ could have been more stealthy really.

Bottom line is a guy with no morals and no principles took shit he should not have.  I sure as shit hope that fat penalty increase he signed into law as an attack on Clinton bites him in that dimpled gelatinous ass.   

Yep it's from the same playbook Roger Stone used when he notified CNN of the likelihood of an impending raid on his own condo so they could stake it out and create a media sensation/outrage.

1 minute ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

i want my law professors to be more law professory.  to me he comes across as (1) onlyfans-for-librarians clout chasing; (2) too much of a partisan for a great thinker.   

I don't really find Vladeck to be partisan. He comes across to me as a lawsplainer on the side of the rule of law. 

He's far less hysterical than Laurence Tribe, for example. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Chopper said:

That said, the former President should have an opportunity to respond to this Motion and lodge objections, including with regards to any “legitimate privacy interests” or the potential for other “injury” if these materials are made public. Romero, 480 F.3d at 1246. To that end, the government will furnish counsel for the former President with a copy of this Motion.

6pnjxp.jpg.06587a2a36521c54cac19d5611f934bc.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

i want my law professors to be more law professory.  to me he comes across as (1) onlyfans-for-librarians clout chasing; (2) too much of a partisan for a great thinker.   

You’re out of your element, Donnie. He’s a Yale law grad, former clerk at SCOTUS, and national security law expert- in no small part because he’s personally argued key cases before the Supreme Court, never mind the books and academic articles he regularly publishes. Oh, and he’s super engaging in the classroom. Go home. You’re drunk

• Hook 'Em 4

22 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

I'm supposed to believe the press hadn't caught wind of a massive FBI raid at a former president's home? That the only reason anyone found out was because Trump scooped the press?

At the end of the day as the search was over a local Palm Beach (no blue check mark) reporter tweeted about the FBI being there but had no idea why. Nobody knew anything until trump started jabbering and posting on social media about it. (edit to add: In fact, the reporter's tweet was sourced to a report from someone who works at the club and it would have gone completely unnoticed except that after trump announced the search and scandalized it as a "raid" people went back and found it.) There's been zero information leaked about the entire situation from either the FBI or DOJ.

Edited by Chopper
clarity

3 minutes ago, Chopper said:

At the end of the day as the search was over a local Palm Beach (no blue check mark) reporter tweeted about the FBI being there but had no idea why. Nobody knew anything until trump started jabbering and tweeting about it. There's been zero information leaked about it from either the FBI or DOJ.

Damn. I guess MAL is so massive there aren't any neighbors around to see what a flock of FBI cars are up to.

• Bozo_Casanova changed the title to Poll: President Trump's Major Announcement