A story about a pathetic man's downfall

Francisco 2.0

3 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I think our world will resemble the one parodied in the movie Brazil where terrorism is just a backdrop to life as usual. Great movie. I didn't consider it prophetic at the time.

Terrorism is already our backdrop to life as usual. We have mass shootings everyday in this country.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4
  • Rage+1 2

5 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Terrorism is already our backdrop to life as usual. We have mass shootings everyday in this country.

They're generally not political nor do they serve any end other than horror for its own sake. Still, I take your point about the daily background noise of what were once largely unthinkable violent acts.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Fucking kill shot

So the party that said J6 was "tourists" and "legitimate political discourse" wants to be able to see all the evidence? Sure, I bet they do it in good faith.

Also, that question/answer about taking home documents is perfect. "No" followed by three seconds of silence.

2 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

So the party that said J6 was "tourists" and "legitimate political discourse" wants to be able to see all the evidence? Sure, I bet they do it in good faith.

Also, that question/answer about taking home documents is perfect. "No" followed by three seconds of silence.

All they had to do was fly down to Mar al Lardo and borrow the padlock key. They had their chance.

The kill shot was brilliant. 

6 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

They're generally not political nor do they serve any end other than horror for its own sake. Still, I take your point about the daily background noise of what were once largely unthinkable violent acts.

That’s fair although there’s certainly plenty that have been political, or at least fueled by political hate. Pulse, El Paso, Pittsburgh Synagogue, etc. 

I think my point is more that we have widespread violence already. It isn’t going to ever become organized enough to be a threat to democracy or a civil war. We are going to continue to have widespread violence in this country because we don’t care to fix it. 

• Like 1

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

That’s fair although there’s certainly plenty that have been political, or at least fueled by political hate. Pulse, El Paso, Pittsburgh Synagogue, etc. 

I think my point is more that we have widespread violence already. It isn’t going to ever become organized enough to be a threat to democracy or a civil war. We are going to continue to have widespread violence in this country because we don’t care to fix it. 

Completely agree.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

47C9EA2A-4C0B-4B3A-B450-DE25A3F1C3BD.gif.17bce11835c873d67631c56e44ea2a00.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

A few things for those of you worried about our military.  There is this often broad statement that it is somehow massively right leaning.  

Around 25% of the current active duty military is African American, by far the most over-represented group compared to their actual demographic numbers in the U.S.  AAs went 92% to 8% for Biden in 2020.

Hispanics make up another sizable contingent in the military.  While Trump made some gains with Hispanics he still lost them 59-38 to Biden in 2020.  Extrapolate a bit further even in the non-college grad ranks of those two demos it was 92% for Biden in AA and 55% for Biden in Hispanics.  More than likely as it was with whites a lot of the Trumpkin hispanics are the olds.   

Then you go to age.  Biden won 18-29 year olds at 59% and 30-49 at 55%.  The "war" ain't getting fought by folks over 50.

All that is to say that sure there are likely large swaths of the military that are right leaning.  But come the fuck on this notion that there are not equally as large and probably much larger swaths of the military who hate his ass (most critically much of the leadership) and our military is some unit that is teetering on mass support of the Orangeaton is a bit too ledgy for me.  

Great information. Again, it's not that I think the Army will turn on the country; it's that where they stand is even a vague consideration in a political/legal internal conflict.

Edited by RomaVicta
errant i
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I served was in those ranks in the 90s.  They gave no shits about Clinton.  They are young.  Getting paid and getting laid are their main priorities. 

Those young ranks, while getting paid and getting laid are still Priorities 1 and 1a, also have a steady diet of Fox News, OAN and social media as well.  Things that were missing from your experience.

To understand the mindset of Trump & his group, look at a recent admission of Paul Manafort. Manafort now admits that he gave data to the Russians during the 2016 campaign. BTW he previously denied this to Mueller but now claims he recalls it.  

However Mueller Manafort says giving the data to the Russians was not about helping Trump or asking the Russians for help. It was only about securing future business deals.

For Trump, he won't think that selling documents to the Saudis is treasonous. We're not far from Trump stating that it's ok because they're allies, just ask Biden.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

28 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I served was in those ranks in the 90s.  They gave no shits about Clinton.  They are young.  Getting paid and getting laid are their main priorities. 

We’ll find out their real priorities when they’re ordered to shoot friends and family to defeat a movement they support. 

It’s like some of y’all have been living under a rock the past few decades. Civil wars are not impossible. They’re not even rare. That shit happens routinely and once it does, the pre-war norms of society collapse. Peacetime friends become wartime enemies. Read about life in post-Tito Yugoslavia or post-Ba’ath Iraq or post-colonial Rwanda. People are typically shocked at how quickly civil society turns into a backstabbing bloodbath. 

America is not immune. If anything, we’re more primed for a civil war now that at any time in the past 150+ years.

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, BrickHorn said:

This. The notion that the armed forces and law enforcement form some sort of unanimous bloc of unwavering constitutional purists is naive.

The military and police forces are made up of people. On average, those people are more right-leaning than the average American. The lower, boots-on-the-ground levels of each are predominantly right-wing.  They come from rural areas and likely have deep ties to (and even share the views of) MAGA cultists who are their friends, family, and fellow churchgoers. And beyond the general demographics, extreme far right groups have been actively infiltrating the military and law enforcement for decades. 

I don’t have a lot of faith that the military and law enforcement will end up fighting for the good guys once bullets start flying. 

Anyone in the military who wants to FAFO by flirting with treason/insurrection/rebellion is entering a world of pain Burn After Reading style.

2 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Anyone in the military who wants to FAFO by flirting with treason/insurrection/rebellion is entering a world of pain Burn After Reading style.

And this is why in the history of the world, no military has ever turned on its government.

1 minute ago, AnTiM said:

Now my question is what happen when a few copies of these documents start showing up and trump demands that all charges against him be dropped or every document he ever stole will be released to our mortal enemies?

We don't negotiate with terrorists. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

America is not immune. If anything, we’re more primed for a civil war now that at any time in the past 150+ years.

I wasn’t alive then, but whenever someone posits this I have to be skeptical.  It seems to me enforcement of the Civil Rights Act(s), add Vietnam, actual assassinations of political candidates, etc., argue that the 60’s were worse.  

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, LCHorn said:

I wasn’t alive then, but whenever someone posits this I have to be skeptical.  It seems to me enforcement of the Civil Rights Act(s), add Vietnam, actual assassinations of political candidates, etc., argue that the 60’s were worse.  

The 60s were much worse. That's not to say now isn't bad.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Watching the entire CNN interview with Mike Turner. He is currently explaining why Hillary's emails were so much worse than Trump hording classified documents in his basement. 

I've never heard anyone on the Left not say that the govt should go after Hillary if the DOJ believes that HIllary's action rise to level of criminality. If she broke the law, go after her. Trump's DOJ had 4 years to do so, and they obviously felt she didn't break the law that required a govt indictment.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'll say this much. I trust Garland a hell of a lot more than I ever trusted Mueller. Liberals cheerleading a George W Bush official like he was on some kind of Eddie Munson redemption arc. Made me throw up in my mouth.

They should have known better than to expect anything more than the bare fucking minimum effort to hold people accountable or anything less than him moving heaven and earth to punt on every issue.

With Garland I think there's an axe to grind against the GOP. He's too smart to every publicly suggest it, but he's not going to give any of these assholes the benefit of the doubt. The fact Roger Stone's name has already come up this early on tells me everything I need to know about how this investigation will unravel.

The evidence will be there. For the first time, so too is the will to do something with it.

6 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

There was more political violence that erupted in the 60s than has yet in the 2020s.  But right now we have a radicalized 30% of so of the population that is living in entire alternate reality where truth can't invade.  And that radicalized 30% has a majority of the SCOTUS, state houses, local police forces, and maybe the military.  

We have evidence the former president is a traitor to the nation, and his supporters are out there defending him, based on nonsense excuses that have changed multiple times in less days.  I posted, I think on the old site, the first time I saw someone raise a Trump flag, how scary that was, and different from normal politics as he was amassing a cult.  And was told by multiple people I was overreacting.  I'd like to be wrong now.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, Covri said:

You keep saying nothing so obviously you don't know how any of this works either.  

You made the assertion that something should’ve happened within five days. The burden of proof is on you to demonstrate that that’s a realistic timeframe based on historical evidence. No one can prove a negative. You have to prove that sometimes in similar situations things have happened within your specified timeframe.

Garland released the warrant and the receipt. That’s something. What were you expecting would realistically happen by now?

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Those young ranks, while getting paid and getting laid are still Priorities 1 and 1a, also have a steady diet of Fox News, OAN and social media as well.  Things that were missing from your experience.

There may be members of the rank and file who are on Trump’s side. But the generals aren’t. They assured Congressional leaders after the election that the military would take no part in helping Trump illegally hold on to power. 

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

His hesitation was because he didn't want to say "no", then realizing that anything but an unequivocal denial would be tantamount to an admission of criminal conduct. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• Bozo_Casanova changed the title to Poll: President Trump's Major Announcement