A story about a pathetic man's downfall

Francisco 2.0

3 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

Everyone knew Hitler did the night of long knives. Nothing was done. It’s going to be the same.

Yeah, but the Germans at that time were a tough, organized bunch that had 16 years of extreme hardship and international humiliation haunting them, not cosplaying wannabes with diabetes looking for the nearest Golden Corral. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

I wasn’t alive then, but whenever someone posits this I have to be skeptical.  It seems to me enforcement of the Civil Rights Act(s), add Vietnam, actual assassinations of political candidates, etc., argue that the 60’s were worse.  

A case can be made that the 1960s was as bad or worse in many ways. But data on key indicators of potential for civil war such as the polity score (which measures how democratic versus autocratic a country is) and factionalism have been worse in the past few years than they were in the 60s. 

And would you really be surprised by assassination attempts in the coming months? We’ve already witnessed one or two in the past week. Don’t let yourself get frog-boiled into the mistaken belief that shit is even remotely normal or secure right now. The data doesn’t lie and it’s not blinded by normalcy bias or gradual acclimation.

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Every R I've seen on tv this morning has been very very super duper concerned.

About the legitimacy of the search. 

And every dem is basically saying "don't know, no comment". 

Yeah, here's the thing -- no one knows shit except for FBI and DOJ. Could have Trump on video accepting a briefcase full of cash from MBS and then letting him look at the docs. Could be that these boxes were just sitting there. 

But I don't think for a second that the FBI/DOJ would serve a warrant on a former president unless there is something significant. Despite what one side wants you to think, there haven't been witch hunts. There have been serious, methodical investigations into legit concerns of wrongdoing. It's not their fault that Trump can't stop doing shady stuff that they have to investigate.

And to be clear: I’m not saying civil war is inevitable. We just need to understand that it is also much more likely now than at any time in our lives (well, except for Armybrat). And that we can’t apply the same old approaches to problems in what are new, more perilous circumstances. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I th

2 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

A case can be made that the 1960s was as bad or worse in many ways. But data on key indicators of potential for civil war such as the polity score (which measures how democratic versus autocratic a country is) and factionalism have been worse in the past few years than they were in the 60s. 

And would you be surprised by assassination attempts in the coming months? We’ve already witnessed one or two in the past week. Don’t let yourself get frog-boiled into the mistaken belief that shit is even remotely normal or secure right now. The data doesn’t lie and it’s not blinded by normalcy bias or gradual acclimation.

I think some of the measures you cite are hard to really compare much past the last decade.  Go back to the 60s, there was plenty of hard core autocratic shit going on you just didn't hear about every single instance of it, or even most of it like you do now.  That's not to dismiss what is going on now, but the cacophony is much much louder now due to technology.  That in and of itself may be a problem as it has a pretty sizable effect on perception of Joe Citizen.

9 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

And would you really be surprised by assassination attempts in the coming months? We’ve already witnessed one or two in the past week. Don’t let yourself get frog-boiled into the mistaken belief that shit is even remotely normal or secure right now. The data doesn’t lie and it’s not blinded by normalcy bias or gradual acclimation.

I don't want to take this tangent too off the direction of the thread, but if you're looking for signs of hope (or just trying to play devil's advocate with yourself), I think scrutinizing the data for generational differences will make things look far less distressing. 

When I initially heard about the raid I thought that they probably got some intelligence from either another country or as part of our spy efforts that something fishy was going on.  Haven’t read anything about that but I guess it’s a possibility. Seems like if he was doing something some intel could very easily be picked up. 

10 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

I th

I think some of the measures you cite are hard to really compare much past the last decade.  Go back to the 60s, there was plenty of hard core autocratic shit going on you just didn't hear about every single instance of it, or even most of it like you do now.  That's not to dismiss what is going on now, but the cacophony is much much louder now due to technology.  That in and of itself may be a problem as it has a pretty sizable effect on perception of Joe Citizen.

it's real simple.

the counter-culture civil-rights post-war revolution was a revolution of the left against consensus reality and the status quo, and all parties shared a common frame of reference, there was no post-truth simulation.

this is a revolution of the right against the status quo, in a post-truth simulation.

we have no idea how it's going to play out, but it bears zero resemblance to the 60s.

this time, the government are the sympathetic heroes.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

When I initially heard about the raid I thought that they probably got some intelligence from either another country or as part of our spy efforts that something fishy was going on.  Haven’t read anything about that but I guess it’s a possibility. Seems like if he was doing something some intel could very easily be picked up. 

And we may never hear what actually was found out because revealing it would endanger people and operations that keep enemies from taking us over.  That is why trump's fking with this stuff is a really bad offense.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

And to be clear: I’m not saying civil war is inevitable. We just need to understand that it is also much more likely now than at any time in our lives (well, except for Armybrat). And that we can’t apply the same old approaches to problems in what are new, more perilous circumstances. 

I agree. It won’t look like our idea of a battlefield. It will be small acts that revolve around gaining power and the closing the doors to having any reason to relinquish it. 
In many ways, this is the last gasp of the white baby boomer who feel like their country has left them and that have some fucked up notion about protecting it from dark people or those that don’t have their limited world view. 
I do have faith in the younger generation if we can survive this assault. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And here's something I find objectively fascinating: the Baby Boomer generation is largely responsible for BOTH periods in history being shitshows.  In the 60s, they were the youth, radicalized and fighting against "the establishment," leading to significant unrest.  Today.....they are radicalized, and fighting against "the deep state" (even though they fucking ARE the establishment), leading to significant unrest.  No matter their age, the Boomers manage to be fucking toxic.  Worst generation ever.

HALF the boomers and HALF the silents gave us the explosion of culture and technical innovation we have today.  The other half of each gave us the simulation we are currently suffocating within.  But all that followed The Greatest are saddled with the American Exceptionalism they created using the post-war rise of television.  The end game of all of it is the collision of stupidity and technological advancement.

We have identified 2 different types of human beings, one of which has a severe genetic flaw in the functionality of it's brain programming.  How we deal with that fundamental fact will determine if The Republic is standing for it's 300th birthday.

• Hook 'Em 4

51 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You made the assertion that something should’ve happened within five days. The burden of proof is on you to demonstrate that that’s a realistic timeframe based on historical evidence. No one can prove a negative. You have to prove that sometimes in similar situations things have happened within your specified timeframe.

Garland released the warrant and the receipt. That’s something. What were you expecting would realistically happen by now?

Public hanging

25 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep.

And here's something I find objectively fascinating: the Baby Boomer generation is largely responsible for BOTH periods in history being shitshows.  In the 60s, they were the youth, radicalized and fighting against "the establishment," leading to significant unrest.  Today.....they are radicalized, and fighting against "the deep state" (even though they fucking ARE the establishment), leading to significant unrest.  No matter their age, the Boomers manage to be fucking toxic.  Worst generation ever.

Here, Scott, lemme analogize that for you, so even a deranged psychopath like you can understand:

Jewelry thief, after being arrested for running off with a sack full of jewelry from a Zales smash-and-grab: "today I learned that using the wrong process to move jewelry is 'theft.'"

See, you orange-jizz-addled fucknut, TAKING/RETAINING SOMETHING THAT YOU DO NOT HAVE THE LEGAL RIGHT TO TAKE/RETAIN IS DAMNED NEAR ALWAYS A FUCKING CRIME.

I wish he would just come out and say that he wants a separate set of rules to apply for white people.

13 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

In many ways, this is the last gasp of the white baby boomer who feel like their country has left them and that have some fucked up notion about protecting it from dark people or those that don’t have their limited world view.  I do have faith in the younger generation if we can survive this assault. 

As just posted it's the last gasp of half the silents and half the boomers.   But I don't have faith in the younger generation.  They have been programmed within the simulation.   Talk to a random 20-year-old.  Ask them some basic questions you would expect them to know.  What year did we land on the moon?  What year did World War 2 end?  Where was the first atomic attack?

What will save The Republic is today's left and right that are immune to the simulation taking control for 20 years and instituting a permanent revolution in primary and secondary education.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Well, when you’ve lost Booger County…

The govt will let them play their games and if it’s a real threat they’ll go in there one day and decimate whatever the local sheriff and his men think they’ve set up.  Until then, they can cosplay all they want.  

This. Sheriff Depts and white nationalist militias stand no chance against the military and DOJ/FBI. And while members of the military may lean right, their leaders are under constant attack by the GQP as being communist sympathizers. The military is not going to break to the side of the crazies

• Hook 'Em 3

As just posted it's the last gasp of half the silents and half the boomers.   But I don't have faith in the younger generation.  They have been programmed within the simulation.   Talk to a random 20-year-old.  Ask them some basic questions you would expect them to know.  What year did we land on the moon?  What year did World War 2 end?  Where was the first atomic attack?
What will save The Republic is today's left and right that are immune to the simulation taking control for 20 years and instituting a permanent revolution in primary and secondary education.

You understand that knowledge of recent history has a shitload to do with when you were born. Asking a teenager about WW2 is akin to asking me about WW1. How many GenXrs could give much info on the Ottoman Empire?

Your concern is still warranted, but the examples are horrible. Questions about basic reasoning, constitutional rights, economics, scientific methods, etc. would be more compelling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

There will be a blue wave.

There will be majorities in House, Senate, and Biden in the White House.

ACB, Kavanaugh, and Thomas will be removed OR Biden will expand to 13 judges.

Every. Single. Traitor. will be punished.

I'm a realist but I'm as optimistic now as I've been in a long time.  

The gigantic grinder that is the U.S. Government has turned its attention to Trump and the republicans.  It's over, Johnny.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sawbonz said:

This. Sheriff Depts and white nationalist militias stand no chance against the military and DOJ/FBI. And while members of the military may lean right, their leaders are under constant attack by the GQP as being communist sympathizers. The military is not going to break to the side of the crazies

The vocal ones are a minority. Most enlisted and officers are not interested in a civil war.

Police is a different story, but despite all the toys and bloated budgets you're going to get Uvalde-like results because they are cowards, bullies, and lack the training and discipline required to succeed.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Sawbonz said:

When is the last news story of an active duty military getting in trouble for right wing dumbassery? It’s pretty rare 

Latest I can remember was the Marine colonel publicly calling out the Biden admin for Afghanistan. I don't know if he was a far-right type, but the far-right latched onto what he was saying.

2 hours ago, LCHorn said:

I wasn’t alive then, but whenever someone posits this I have to be skeptical.  It seems to me enforcement of the Civil Rights Act(s), add Vietnam, actual assassinations of political candidates, etc., argue that the 60’s were worse.  

I fully anticipate assassinations in the next 2-5 years.

7 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

The gigantic grinder that is the U.S. Government has turned its attention to Trump and the republicans.  It's over, Johnny.

For the record, I want to believe, but don't. It's the equivalent of Donald Trump is going to drain the swamp!!!1!

5 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

Latest I can remember was the Marine colonel publicly calling out the Biden admin for Afghanistan. I don't know if he was a far-right type, but the far-right latched onto what he was saying.

And didn’t he immediately resign his commission rather than face court martial and prison?

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You made the assertion that something should’ve happened within five days. The burden of proof is on you to demonstrate that that’s a realistic timeframe based on historical evidence. No one can prove a negative. You have to prove that sometimes in similar situations things have happened within your specified timeframe.

Garland released the warrant and the receipt. That’s something. What were you expecting would realistically happen by now?

Well, to be fair, and I was among the first to jump on the "five days," it is not uncommon to couple an arrest with the execution of a search warrant.  It happens with some frequency in drug, gun, and child pr0n and other cases, where the search warrant is kind of the culmination of the investigation and the fruits of the warrant are the smoking gun.

But there's still some dots to be connected here.  I'd hate to think that the principal purpose of the warrant was simply to secure sensitive documents, but I guess I can't quarrel with the legitimacy of it. 

Here, though, I would expect more grand jury subpoenas of witnesses, including and especially those that participated in the prior subpoena response, to determine who knew what and why the subpoena was not properly responded to.

And that could very well lead to indictments, including of TFG.  Or maybe indictments of lower-levels will cause them to turn on Trump.  We do know that the feds are skilled, probably to a fault, in investigating offenses by indictment.

I do find it possibly questionable that there would be two indictments of Trump, for this and for 1/6.  Although they're not necessarily related, they might be and I would think just one indictment is preferable.

2 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Those young ranks, while getting paid and getting laid are still Priorities 1 and 1a, also have a steady diet of Fox News, OAN and social media as well.  Things that were missing from your experience.

Tell me you don’t know any teen or twenty-somethings in the military without telling me you don’t know any teen or twenty-somethings in the military. The military is not feeding them a stream of right-wing batshittery.

The people you are talking about are going to be watching a Fast and the Furious movie, or Game of Thrones, or the latest bullshit reality show that civilian twenty-something’s are watching, long before they actively sit around listening to Fox News.  They are more worried about making payments on their Charger or Mustangs long before they give a shit about what Tucker is saying.

And in fact my experience included some of what concerns you - most of our senior NCOs and officers came in during Vietnam or later 70s, and our junior NCOs and officers came in under the Reagan buildup.  If a radio was on, guess what was on?  Rush Motherfucking Limbaugh.  The older NCOs and officers fucking loathed Clinton over him being a draft dodger.  But none of them gave a shit enough to act on it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Sheriff departments won’t do shit, because they love their paychecks and their pensions far more than Trump.

And as others mentioned, your typical Trumpers are not going to go to war and wreck the government or the infrastructure because that means their Social Security, Medicare, pensions/401ks will be jeopardized.  

31 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

When is the last news story of an active duty military getting in trouble for right wing dumbassery? It’s pretty rare 

not exactly political but there are some very suspicious, racially-tinged, and misogynist things happening at Ft Hood and word is it's been that way for a long time. The Guillen story shed a bit of light on it, but supposedly that was just the tip of the iceberg.

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Sheriff departments won’t do shit, because they love their paychecks and their pensions far more than Trump.

And as others mentioned, your typical Trumpers are not going to go to war and wreck the government or the infrastructure because that means their Social Security, Medicare, pensions/401ks will be jeopardized.  

at the end of the day, they are too attached to their Panera, Whole Foods, and Starbucks to strive for the world they claim they want. They'll get their liberal democracy and they'll like it (while outwardly pretending to bitch about it)

2 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

A few things for those of you worried about our military.  There is this often broad statement that it is somehow massively right leaning.  

Around 25% of the current active duty military is African American, by far the most over-represented group compared to their actual demographic numbers in the U.S.  AAs went 92% to 8% for Biden in 2020.

Hispanics make up another sizable contingent in the military.  While Trump made some gains with Hispanics he still lost them 59-38 to Biden in 2020.  Extrapolate a bit further even in the non-college grad ranks of those two demos it was 92% for Biden in AA and 55% for Biden in Hispanics.  More than likely as it was with whites a lot of the Trumpkin hispanics are the olds.   

Then you go to age.  Biden won 18-29 year olds at 59% and 30-49 at 55%.  The "war" ain't getting fought by folks over 50.

All that is to say that sure there are likely large swaths of the military that are right leaning.  But come the fuck on this notion that there are not equally as large and probably much larger swaths of the military who hate his ass (most critically much of the leadership) and our military is some unit that is teetering on mass support of the Orangeaton is a bit too ledgy for me.  

The African Americans in the military are a self-selected sample, not a random sample of African Americans in general. Same with any demograhic. IOW, just because 92% of AAs support Biden, doesn't mean that 92% of AAs in the military also support Biden. Same for hispanics, young, whoever.

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I think you're giving them too much credit for thinking it through.

They will participate in mobs of various sorts because that's how they get their kicks these days.

But if shooting breaks out, or any type of violence where they don't seriously outnumber the opposition, I'm relatively certain they'll be running for the exits.  Their commitment to the cause is actually pretty superficial.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

That is all very rational and logical. BUT...

You can't use rational arguments when the people you are talking about are irrational.

Yes, they are so fucking stupid that they honestly believe that if Texas secedes they will still get their SS checks.

35 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

For the record, I want to believe, but don't. It's the equivalent of Donald Trump is going to drain the swamp!!!1!

My favorite part about this is how GQP won't see the humor in this one bit and legitimately feel demoralized by it. Love to see it.

1 hour ago, Bullneck said:

I'll have some of what you're smoking.

Edited by Biff Tannen
Gator beat me
  • Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Preach Amy Poehler GIF by Sisters

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BrickHorn said:

1963-1968, just 5 years, saw a sitting President, and then his brother who was Presidential contender and probable winner, as well as the two highest profile names in the Civil Rights movement, all assassinated.  None of us in our 50s and under can comprehend what that did to the country.  We just can’t.

You throw out some interesting data points and what social media is doing, etc., but you leave out some extremely important things:

Never in the history of this country have so many people relied on the government remaining stable and the lights staying on. When you talk about civil war, you are talking about a situation where everybody involved could lose access to their bank accounts, their pensions, Social Security, medical care, medicine, food distribution, and the list goes on.

For fucks sake, these people lost their fucking minds over not getting a haircut at Supercuts or dining in at Chili’s during the COVID pandemic, and you think they will risk their bank accounts, their Social Security payments or pensions or paychecks, their medical care, their internet access, etc.?

Sure, we will see dumbasses who didn’t read up on what Sun Tzu had to say about nail-guns vs bulletproof glass in FBI lobbies doing dumbass things, but the vast majority of Trumpers are not going to do shit to jeopardize their lives.  Think of the Trumpers you know, and how they would handle losing their bank accounts, pensions, Social Security payments or paychecks, etc.  

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

• Bozo_Casanova changed the title to Poll: President Trump's Major Announcement