A story about a pathetic man's downfall

Francisco 2.0

11 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

Exactly.  It was classified because it would harm the United States if it was released.  That the information is restricted also makes it valuable for monetary and extortion purposes.  If it was released on wikileaks it is still valuable to hurt the US but loses the monetary and extortion purposes.

The documents were stolen from DC.  The initial crime was committed in DC.  Storing it illegaly, sharing the information or trying to sell it may have been done in FL but it could be argued that they intended to do those crimes when they stole it.  Could make for an interesting jurisdiction case.

(a)

Except as otherwise expressly provided by enactment of Congress, any offense against the United States begun in one district and completed in another, or committed in more than one district, may be inquired of and prosecuted in any district in which such offense was begun, continued, or completed.

Gubmint's choice. https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/3237

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

My only interest in this argument is that there seems to be something of a consensus among the national security law scholars that the president's authority is almost limitless.  So don't get your hopes up.

I am not sure if we're in agreement or disagreement, tbh. But there was a case like 2 years ago where trump wrote on twitter that he was declassifying something and then the White House counsel successfully argued that his words had no legal meaning because the necessary steps to declassify what he specifically said he was going to declassify (maybe it was the JFK stuff?) weren't taken and his words, though written, were not enough. A president can declassify something but there has to be an official act of some sort, such as him making it public or commanding an administrative step. With the stuff in the White House on the last day of his presidency, he did neither. There would be a record of the declassification and just as it can be declassified, a document can be reclassified. Surely Dotard was on notice that the gov't believed the documents he had taken were classified. The top tier of DOJ visited his residence to get the material back.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Vegas set odds yet on where the passports are? Maybe Melania auctioned them off for bitcoin.

Yeah, if they took passports, that was a mistake.  Surrendering a passport to make flight more difficult is a common condition of pre-trial detention, ordered by a judge, but not something the FBI does, even pursuant to a search warrant.

Edited by TwiceHorn

8 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I am not sure if we're in agreement or disagreement, tbh. But there was a case like 2 years ago where trump wrote on twitter that he was declassifying something and then the White House counsel successfully argued that his words had no legal meaning because the necessary steps to declassify what he specifically said he was going to declassify (maybe it was the JFK stuff?) weren't taken and his words, though written, were not enough. A president can declassify something but there has to be an official act of some sort, such as him making it public or commanding an administrative step. With the stuff in the White House on the last day of his presidency, he did neither. There would be a record of the declassification and just as it can be declassified, a document can be reclassified. Surely Dotard was on notice that the gov't believed the documents he had taken were classified. The top tier of DOJ visited his residence to get the material back.

There's no real ruling on it.  My only point is, don't hang your hopes on generals, or colonels, or CIA people, or even statutes as restraining the power to declassify.  Listen to the national security scholars like Vladeck and this Turner guy.  Even Lawfare has acknowledged an almost unfettered ability to declassify.

Edited by TwiceHorn

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Well they already have said they didn't.  You going to take dotard's word over the FBI?  Don't answer that Anastasis.

Also, isn't dotard in NY or NJ.  How the hell would he know his passports were taken from FL?  The demented asshole probably just lost them.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Vegas set odds yet on where the passports are? Maybe Melania auctioned them off for bitcoin.

Oh I'm sure it's just a funny misunderstanding! Donald Trump will be along in moments to apologize on Truth Social and telling us he found them.

2 hours ago, Chooky said:

And to top it all off, the surrounding sidewalks at Mar-A-Lago are about to be covered in MAGA doo doo.

There was a similar story a couple of years back.

Jared and Ivanka moved into a DC neighborhood, and in that neighborhood, only a block or two away, was the Obama residence.   Despite having 9 bathrooms, Jared and Ivanka didn't allow any SS agents to use one.  

Meanwhile, the Obamas, being decent people,  had converted a portion of the garage in their place into a lounge, of sorts, for their SS detail.  Put in a break room with a kitchen and a bathroom.

Well, since the Kirshner detail couldn't use a bathroom at the Kirshner's, they started using the Obama facility too.  Until one day when a Kirshner detail agent went over there and took a massive, taco bell filthy, dirty dump, and left the place a shit-covered mess, like the agent was a certain former Texas coach, and the Obama's home was Walker Little's. 

After that,  the Senior agent on the Obama detail banned the Kirshner team from setting foot on the Obama property. 

• Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

What’s to stop him from heading to a private strip and stepping on a private jet headed to Moscow ?

Other than effectively abandoning his empire with the hopes of a warm welcome in Russia, nothing.  

I wonder how Vlad feels about people who have outlived their usefulness?

Maybe Jedda is more to his liking? 

2 hours ago, Ojo Rojo said:

I'm no Trumpist. I'm the opposite of whatever Trump is. I just try to remain objective so I can see things as clearly as possible and how they really are. I don't think I'm being Polyanna based on what has actually happened and the direction things are going. I guess we'll see.

To be clear, my meaning was that I'm highly doubtful that you're a Trumpist. I was also serious when I wrote respectfully

I don't believe you're any more objective than I am nor do you seek clarity with anymore desire than I do. I can certainly be wrong.

4 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

What’s to stop him from heading to a private strip and stepping on a private jet headed to Moscow ?

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

His ego and belief that he’s super-smart and can outsmart the feds and that he’s above the law.

That is certainly true, but also the only thing Trump craves more than Ivanka's bleached starfish is the constant adulation and worship of the magtards. I guarantee that Putin thinks the guy is a fucking clown and nobody in Russia will tongue his taint like the GQP members of congress do. He would be miserable over there as nothing more than Putin's dancing bear. 

Now is Russia preferable to prison? Sure. But he will gamble that the GQP takes power in Congress in the midterms, and then the  WH in 24. He is 100% certain he can string things out until then, and he's probably right.  If all 3 branches of government are Team Trump, he doesn't really have to worry about shit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Other than effectively abandoning his empire with the hopes of a warm welcome in Russia, nothing.  

I wonder how Vlad feels about people who have outlived their usefulness?

Maybe Jedda is more to his liking? 

Again, Putin is saying he’s already studying the Mara Lago “declassified” documents.

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Tucker is projecting fear more than anger.

He’s doing a shitty job of stirring up the Waffle SS.  

Yep. Clearly attributing Trump’s tactics after the election to the DOJ now acting legitimately. But the fact he is even talking about lowering the temperature shows desperation. Less of the stupid squinty eyes as well

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Lol good point.   I’ve fucked up some recipes in my time by using hyperbole. If .5 tsp of baking powder is good, 1/3 tsp should do it.  Although normally I do it in reverse. 

I do that with mixed drinks. Woops.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

It's being discussed on the Fox thread, but yeah, he's lost Ingraham

Trump is trying to have it both ways. His overture to Garland is a cynical and transparent attempt to inoculate himself against the coming MAGA violence that he almost single-handedly fomented.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Is the DA going to actually do something about it this time?

Nope.  He didn't roll even a tiny bit.   He's going to go to some club-fed and work on his basketweaving skills, and, his family will come into a windfall of cash. 

45 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

To be clear, my meaning was that I'm highly doubtful that you're a Trumpist. I was also serious when I wrote respectfully

I don't believe you're any more objective than I am nor do you seek clarity with anymore desire than I do. I can certainly be wrong.

I appreciated your civility. I'm not claiming superiority in the objectivity or clarity departments. I may be more circumspect, if anything. That's partly my overt optimism. Maybe that makes me a fool and I should really be cleaning my guns and stocking my bug out bag.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Yup.

And one of those Arizona election officials who got death threats and horrible messages about his dead daughter was asked who he would vote for in 2024 if it was Trump v. Biden again.

AND HE STILL SAID TRUMP

Well, he's certainly going to vote Biden, but he also doesn't want to get shot.

• Haha 1

• Bozo_Casanova changed the title to Poll: President Trump's Major Announcement