A story about a pathetic man's downfall

Francisco 2.0

Well, it does reflect poorly on the warrant execution team.

Would the warrant execution team be looking at every document? Would they even necessarily have had clearance to do so if there were for example nuclear secrets in those documents? I’m not sure if the answers, but if trump stored 11 boxes worth of government documents along with some of his personal crap, couldn’t the personal stuff including passports been inadvertently boxed up given that there were 11 boxes of documents that hadn’t been reviewed yet.

3 hours ago, Tuco said:

Maybe from a lawyer's perspective, they don't need a reason.  But as a citizen, yeah, they need a fucking reason.  You can't just have FBI agents deciding to confiscate passports. That's a bullshit position.  

Sounds like the FBI fucked up here.  But, per the email, it was two expired passports and one diplomatic one, so nothing that Trump could actually use. So, it's not really a big deal. 

2 hours ago, chainsaw said:

I guess what's interesting to me is that there are people in Denver or elsewhere in MDT that are involved in the investigation and who screenshotted this

Not related at all but today in Fort Collins, see if you can spot a certain someone who's appearing in state court attempting to quash a subpoena

image.thumb.png.44e255106eb2c5c3d75579b389d621f4.png

48 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, it does reflect poorly on the warrant execution team.

Nope. The search warrant authorized seizure of documents and any containers holding documents responsive to the search and the agents did their job. One of the items seized, it was noted in the inventory, was a leather binder containing classified material responsive to the search as well as items that were not covered by the warrant - the passports. The filtration team exists to go through all that material and weed out items not covered.

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Back in Dilworld, ever think that maybe the FBI deserves domestic terrorism???

Wait... so, is he saying that people need to start talking about bombing Mar-A-Lago if we want Donald Trump to do some self-reflection? 

I'm beginning to think Scott Adams doesn't think through things too thoroughly. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Marcie Wheeler has a different interpretation about the "filter agents," the passports and what it means. https://www.emptywheel.net/2022/08/16/trumps-latest-tirade-proves-any-temporary-restraining-order-may-come-too-late/

Contrary to what certain journalists have concluded from an email from Bratt that said, “the filter agents seized three passports belonging to President Trump,” that doesn’t mean a filter team currently working found the passports (though I assume a filter team may review materials seized under the SSA receipt a second time). It means that filter agents were used to do the search, as was reported contemporaneously. And now case agents — the people who determine which items are within scope of the investigation and which “items [] do not need to be retained for law enforcement purposes” — appear to be making scope determinations.

DOJ only needs to identify a single classified document to charge the former President under the Espionage Act. And given the way that Trump is ginning up outrage and attacks on FBI agents (which the government cited in explaining the need to keep the affidavit sealed), charging him with a single count indictment describing (hypothetically) the nuclear codes might be a good way to shut everyone up. They could use that to offer Trump a plea deal to lesser charges while they catalog other documents that each could bear a separate 10-year sentence.

If they’ve already singled out Trump’s passports, they surely are processing the stolen classified documents that could expose Trump to years in prison.

And Trump’s still at the manufactured outrage stage of his defense.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

There’s no law against keeping an expired passport. Great souvenirs especially if you rack up the visas an stamps.  When you renew it will get sent back with holes punched through the code at the bottom Of the photo page. 

If you don’t renew it’s not a problem at all to have it. Just don’t try to use it. 

They made me send mine in when I renewed.   Checked the gov site and they require you to submit the old passport.   Also says they will return it.   WTH?  I never got the old one back when the new one came. 

So you are 100% right Sir.   That said, an expired passport is worthless.   What is the harm? 

• Hook 'Em 1

Pro Tip: If your actions cause Muslims -- to openly discuss using planes to bomb your landmarks and centers of your government , self-reflection is in order.

Sample question: "Was it something we did?"
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

He's got that disease where he made money off one thing, so he thinks he's brilliant at all things.

Usually it's some dude who sold the most cars in the tri-county area. This time it's a cartoonist.

Not like a successful brain surgeon could run HUD or something. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

From what I understand ‘the nuclear codes’ (gold codes) change regularly and wouldn’t be worth much of anything.  All they are is a way to positively identify the President when he phoned in a launch order to the national command, who then transmits both the code to unlock the weapons/safes plus another code they match in the locked up book to verify its an authorized order.  Besides you’re not gonna just call someone on an unsecure line to kickoff WWIII because you had a code book. 

Much, much more damaging would be details about the design, materials or performance figures of a warhead or delivery system…say how to make FOGBANK, details on the strong/weak link setup in the PAL, or exact dimensions of the warhead in the B-61–12 bomb.   With that information you could either design your own or detonate a stolen warhead.  Saudi’s would love that I’m sure.  But that stuff is ‘born secret’ and I can’t imagine it’s ever just floating around the White House.  

Ultimately I wish NYT or whoever hadn’t gone straight to nuclear secrets/codes.  It’s a nuanced subject, and we all know these lunatics don’t care for details…and if it turns out to not be nuke stuff but ultimately just as damaging (say details on the B21 or formula for F35 paint or a dossier on intelligence sources), we know they’ll just say it was overblown.  

Edited by Homercles

4 years of archivists running around collecting every scrap of communication he made that he didn’t eat or flush, and he still says that. 

my question still is how did these documents end up leaving the White House at all?  Snuck out?  Or did they still have to do as he ordered since he was still potus while the move happened?  Potus still has laws to abide by, in theory. 

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

my question still is how did these documents end up leaving the White House at all?  Snuck out?  Or did they still have to do as he ordered since he was still potus while the move happened?  Potus still has laws to abide by, in theory. 

We really don't know. What was described in today's nyt is Pence's top staffers went through his office over the period of a few weeks and boxed everything for the archives. In the Oval Office top staff were quitting in droves over the orange bitch's attempt to overthrow the newly elected gov't. And that was preceded by an environment where dotard took for his personal enjoyment any records he wanted, and took others in order to hide them from various investigations. Seems reasonable to expect he took all those records to the WH residence and that's where the items were packed, and because it was the residence and the incompetent Mark Meadows was in charge, there was no adult providing oversight.

Wanted to add earlier - the nuclear info...the speculation I've seen that makes the most sense is it's material about the nuclear capabilities of other countries, e.g. N Korea, not anything about the US. But it's all just speculation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chopper said:

We really don't know. What was described in today's nyt is Pence's top staffers went through his office over the period of a few weeks and boxed everything for the archives. In the Oval Office top staff were quitting in droves over the orange bitch's attempt to overthrow the newly elected gov't. And that was preceded by an environment where dotard took for his personal enjoyment any records he wanted, and took others in order to hide them from various investigations. Seems reasonable to expect he took all those records to the WH residence and that's where the items were packed, and because it was the residence and the incompetent Mark Meadows was in charge, there was no adult providing oversight.

Wanted to add earlier - the nuclear info...the speculation I've seen that makes the most sense is it's material about the nuclear capabilities of other countries, e.g. N Korea, not anything about the US. But it's all just speculation.

Seems likely.  Probably stuffed them in the mattress. 

1 hour ago, Chopper said:

Marcie Wheeler has a different interpretation about the "filter agents," the passports and what it means. https://www.emptywheel.net/2022/08/16/trumps-latest-tirade-proves-any-temporary-restraining-order-may-come-too-late/

I'll go out on a limb and say Marcie Wheeler knows as much about the real details as I do.  Jack fuck all.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

4 years of archivists running around collecting every scrap of communication he made that he didn’t eat or flush, and he still says that. 

Maybe I'm misremembering but I thought once he finally accepted he was going to have to move out of the White House, he grudgingly -- and openly -- loaded up a tractor trailer with shit and took it to MAL. I assume lackeys put the boxes in question on the truck without asking any questions.

Edited by C-Man

13 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Trump isn’t losing FOX, FFS.  His words about lowering the temperature aren’t a gotdamn olive branch, they’re a fucking threat.  Come on, people. 

“Vito, this shop is great. Beautiful. But all this olive oil, all these boxes. A fire could really spread. What can we do to make sure that doesn’t happen?”

I'll agree with you but it's definitely interesting the Murdochs are off the trump train.  They get out whatever narrative they want out and that's what's out right now.  Make no mistake...the rats will scurry at some point - I don't think that's yet, but it will 100% happen.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, chainsaw said:

I think if I had a net worth of $50 million (jesus, that's so fucked up) that I would maybe try to stay off of FBI watch lists.  But that's just me.

Edited by Biff Tannen
JFC, $75 million as of 2021
  • Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I'll go out on a limb and say Marcie Wheeler knows as much about the real details as I do.  Jack fuck all.

Yeah, I've been reading some of her stuff and am not impressed.  She pretty clearly makes a lot of educated guesses about stuff and then acts like it's truth.  

It's a big change to go from reading analysis on a legal blog, where every word is scrutinized, to reading her.  

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

Yeah, I've been reading some of her stuff and am not impressed.  She pretty clearly makes a lot of educated guesses about stuff and then acts like it's truth.  

It's a big change to go from reading analysis on a legal blog, where every word is scrutinized, to reading her.  

The most interesting part about that latest post is that it asserts that Evan Corcoran signed off on subpoena compiance.

Corcoran is the real deal, not some d-cup real estate or parking garage or parking ticket lawyer.  He knows the gravity of that and didn't himself half-ass it as Trump and Alina Habba, to name names, have done recently, see contempt citation in NY civil court.

That indicates to me that Corcoran was fairly actively deceived about what was at MAL and whether it had all been turned over.

1 minute ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I don't understand why Scott Adams keeps getting posted in this thread.  People haven't given a fuck about Dilbert in forever.  This is the only place I see his dumb ass being discussed.

because people keep falling into the trap of repeating the lies and propaganda of bad faith actors, doing their work for them. It doesn't matter than you're making fun of em, just repeating the lie gives it oxygen

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The most interesting part about that latest post is that it asserts that Evan Corcoran signed off on subpoena compiance.

Corcoran is the real deal, not some d-cup real estate or parking garage or parking ticket lawyer.  He knows the gravity of that and didn't himself half-ass it as Trump and Alina Habba, to name names, have done recently, see contempt citation in NY civil court.

That indicates to me that Corcoran was fairly actively deceived about what was at MAL and whether it had all been turned over.

Why would any lawyer trust Trump to tell the truth when he is clearly allergic to it?

2 hours ago, Chopper said:

Not related at all but today in Fort Collins, see if you can spot a certain someone who's appearing in state court attempting to quash a subpoena

image.thumb.png.44e255106eb2c5c3d75579b389d621f4.png

Nope. The search warrant authorized seizure of documents and any containers holding documents responsive to the search and the agents did their job. One of the items seized, it was noted in the inventory, was a leather binder containing classified material responsive to the search as well as items that were not covered by the warrant - the passports. The filtration team exists to go through all that material and weed out items not covered.

Fair enough.  I have not studied the warrant in great detail.

And, as alluded to earlier, sometimes it's not just the documents themselves that have evidentiary value, it's what they're stored in and with.  If the nuclear codes are in a folder with Trump's handwritten political hit list dated last week, that's significant.

4 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I don't understand why Scott Adams keeps getting posted in this thread.  People haven't given a fuck about Dilbert in forever.  This is the only place I see his dumb ass being discussed.

He got renewed interest because he was one of the first famous people to predict Trump would be president.  He also had some interesting/sane political thoughts he shared in blogs and Twitter prior to going insane.  So people still think of him as relevant even though at this point he’s just another insane celebrity spouting nonsense.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Snake Diggity said:

He got renewed interest because he was one of the first famous people to predict Trump would be president.  He also had some interesting/sane political thoughts he shared in blogs and Twitter prior to going insane.  So people still think of him as relevant even though at this point he’s just another insane celebrity spouting nonsense.

I find him entertaining because he markets himself as some kind of intellectual yet his opinions are pure MAGA dogshit

• Hook 'Em 1

• Bozo_Casanova changed the title to Poll: President Trump's Major Announcement