A story about a pathetic man's downfall

Francisco 2.0

7 hours ago, Bullneck said:

I've been waiting for this guy's eventual "fatal mistake."  I'd have liked for it to be more catastrophic and more public, but I'll take what life gives me:

Oct 1, 2022, 05:23 AM EDT

48663835-0-image-a-3_1633142788641.jpg

LAS VEGAS (AP) — An ex-adviser to former President Donald Trump has taken a plea deal to resolve allegations that he made unwanted sexual advances to a GOP donor at a Las Vegas event.

Corey Lewandowski entered into a plea agreement earlier this month involving a charge of misdemeanor battery, according to online Clark County records.

While he does not admit to any wrongdoing, Lewandowski will undergo eight hours of impulse control counseling and 50 hours of community service.

Court documents dated Monday state that the charge will be dismissed if he satisfies these requirements and stays out of trouble for one year.

“A misdemeanor case was filed but we are pleased to say the matter has been resolved,” defense attorneys David Chesnoff and Richard Schonfeld said in a statement. “The court set conditions that Mr. Lewandowski will fulfill and the case will ultimately be dismissed.”

The plea agreement was first reported by Politico.

Trump donor Trashelle Odom publicly alleged Lewandowski repeatedly touched her without her permission, made lewd comments and stalked her throughout a September 2021 fundraising event. Odom is the wife of Idaho construction executive John Odom.

The allegations led to several Republican figures cutting ties with him.

The name "Trashelle" will never not make me giggle.

And "Odom" is just  . . . chef's kiss.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

not to be a twice apologist, but the issue is the court/legal system, not preferential treatment.  the other issue is that trump has a ton of experience knowing about and abusing the holes and weaknesses in the system.

so he does his normal thing, and he abuses the system in his normal ways.  since it's so public, people think trump is getting preferential treatment, but they're really just getting their first up-close-and-personal view of the weaknesses in the system.

yet trump complains about being mistreated, it's all a witch hunt, can you believe how they're coming after me, etc.  right now, it's not personal.  he acts like it is, but it isn't.  what he's actually doing is daring them to make it personal.  he's daring them to give him special treatment (but in the other direction) because he can run on that, he can raise on that, and he can win on that.

the general frustration is with the legal system and trump's ability to manipulate it.  but as has been repeated again and again, once you start changing the rules to catch a criminal, you're giving the criminal exactly what he wants.

• Hook 'Em 4

Nonplussed means bewildered or surprised and confused so much that someone is unsure how to react. The “non” in it is not a negation of “plussed.” “Plussed” isn’t a thing to negate. In more recent years some Americans that should know better, including Obama and the New York Times, have used the word to mean something like unsurprised, making it something of a contronym.

Using nonplussed to mean unsurprised leaves those of us who know the word nonplussed.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

not to be a twice apologist, but the issue is the court/legal system, not preferential treatment.  the other issue is that trump has a ton of experience knowing about and abusing the holes and weaknesses in the system.

so he does his normal thing, and he abuses the system in his normal ways.  since it's so public, people think trump is getting preferential treatment, but they're really just getting their first up-close-and-personal view of the weaknesses in the system.

yet trump complains about being mistreated, it's all a witch hunt, can you believe how they're coming after me, etc.  right now, it's not personal.  he acts like it is, but it isn't.  what he's actually doing is daring them to make it personal.  he's daring them to give him special treatment (but in the other direction) because he can run on that, he can raise on that, and he can win on that.

the general frustration is with the legal system and trump's ability to manipulate it.  but as has been repeated again and again, once you start changing the rules to catch a criminal, you're giving the criminal exactly what he wants.

A lot of truth to this, fo sho.  Trump's abuses are not particularly unique, and are super-exaggerated versions of pretty conventional techniques used by litigants good and bad.  Like foosters said, seeking delay "within the rules" and maybe a little bit outside it is something good lawyers do on behalf of decent clients pretty routinely.

It sticks out here because most aren't used to paying this level of attention to this type of proceeding.

But, he's getting a degree of preferential treatment here, whether it's favoritism, or awe, or overindulgence of the former POTUS prerogatives (executive privilege, etc.) resulting from unfamiliarity with that body of law.

The last sentence is dead-on, though.  Change the rules or shortcut them in order to cut through Trump's bullshit and you may have fallen into his trap, not to mention the ramifications for others who actually deserve some protection from the awesome power of the government in prosecution mode.

• Hook 'Em 2

39 minutes ago, Mole said:

Nonplussed means bewildered or surprised and confused so much that someone is unsure how to react. The “non” in it is not a negation of “plussed.” “Plussed” isn’t a thing to negate. In more recent years some Americans that should know better, including Obama and the New York Times, have used the word to mean something like unsurprised, making it something of a contronym.

Using nonplussed to mean unsurprised leaves those of us who know the word nonplussed.

My use of "plussed" was tongue-in-cheek, ala gruntled.  "Nonplussed" (Unfazed, unaffected, or unimpressed) carries a connotation of pretty seriously unconcerned, and that's not me.

I have been saying all along that if the government can make a good case, they're going to indict, while the majority of this thread seems to believe that Garland and co. are too chicken to do it, citing uninformed analyses of the delay (why not done) and silence from the DOJ, which is par for the course, and tinged with personal attacks on a man they know nothing about.

My statement that I would "not be terribly surprised" is not a concession that I would be nonplussed by the lack of indictment or conviction, but rather an acknowledgement that anything, including those outcomes, is possible.  I wouldn't be wasting so much of my "breath" in this thread trying to explain how things aren't fucked if I was nonplussed about the outcome.

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 hour ago, Mole said:

Negged.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

My use of "plussed" was tongue-in-cheek, ala gruntled.  "Nonplussed" (Unfazed, unaffected, or unimpressed) carries a connotation of pretty seriously unconcerned, and that's not me.

I have been saying all along that if the government can make a good case, they're going to indict, while the majority of this thread seems to believe that Garland and co. are too chicken to do it, citing uninformed analyses of the delay (why not done) and silence from the DOJ, which is par for the course, and tinged with personal attacks on a man they know nothing about.

My statement that I would "not be terribly surprised" is not a concession that I would be nonplussed by the lack of indictment or conviction, but rather an acknowledgement that anything, including those outcomes, is possible.  I wouldn't be wasting so much of my "breath" in this thread trying to explain how things aren't fucked if I was nonplussed about the outcome.

Your use of nonplussed is the nonstandard (i.e., wrong) usage of the word. Think “irregardless”. 

adjective

completely puzzled or perplexed by something unexpected: She blows a hole in the wall and escapes, and the nonplussed aliens are left wondering what happened.

Nonstandard. not dismayed; indifferent or unexcited; calm: I hadn’t yet told my girlfriend I was leaving—I didn't want to risk being crushed by a nonplussed response to the news.

B5D05383-E353-4F0B-9EC7-B03B4DFFDA7C.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/1/2022 at 9:00 AM, Bullneck said:

I've been waiting for this guy's eventual "fatal mistake."  I'd have liked for it to be more catastrophic and more public, but I'll take what life gives me:

Oct 1, 2022, 05:23 AM EDT

48663835-0-image-a-3_1633142788641.jpg

LAS VEGAS (AP) — An ex-adviser to former President Donald Trump has taken a plea deal to resolve allegations that he made unwanted sexual advances to a GOP donor at a Las Vegas event.

Corey Lewandowski entered into a plea agreement earlier this month involving a charge of misdemeanor battery, according to online Clark County records.

While he does not admit to any wrongdoing, Lewandowski will undergo eight hours of impulse control counseling and 50 hours of community service.

Court documents dated Monday state that the charge will be dismissed if he satisfies these requirements and stays out of trouble for one year.

“A misdemeanor case was filed but we are pleased to say the matter has been resolved,” defense attorneys David Chesnoff and Richard Schonfeld said in a statement. “The court set conditions that Mr. Lewandowski will fulfill and the case will ultimately be dismissed.”

The plea agreement was first reported by Politico.

Trump donor Trashelle Odom publicly alleged Lewandowski repeatedly touched her without her permission, made lewd comments and stalked her throughout a September 2021 fundraising event. Odom is the wife of Idaho construction executive John Odom.

The allegations led to several Republican figures cutting ties with him.

It’s really hard for me to feel any sympathy for a woman who gives money to Donald Trump when someone grabs her by the pussy.

• Hook 'Em 5

6 hours ago, Mole said:

Plus background on ‘amenable’ and Genesis 38:8.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Your use of nonplussed is the nonstandard (i.e., wrong) usage of the word. Think “irregardless”. 

adjective

completely puzzled or perplexed by something unexpected: She blows a hole in the wall and escapes, and the nonplussed aliens are left wondering what happened.

Nonstandard. not dismayed; indifferent or unexcited; calm: I hadn’t yet told my girlfriend I was leaving—I didn't want to risk being crushed by a nonplussed response to the news.

Point of order.  I only used "plussed' in response to Captainant's nonstandard usage of "nonplussed."

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

great watch ...

One quibble with that.  Congressional subpoenas to executive branch officials have always been contentious, people just weren't paying attention.  Exemplia gratia, but there are dozens. https://www.usnews.com/debate-club/was-the-house-right-to-hold-eric-holder-in-contempt/eric-holder-is-defying-the-law-by-resisting-subpoena

22 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

adjective

11 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Point of order.  I only used "plussed' in response to Captainant's nonstandard usage of "nonplussed."

I can’t believe I didn’t get any response to my “Negged” comment in this discussion. I thought that was funny. 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 10/2/2022 at 6:54 AM, Mole said:

Counterpoint: in English, usage dictates grammar. One of the reasons it is extant. “Plussed” might eventually become an accepted back formation (see gruntled). 

• Hook 'Em 2

• Bozo_Casanova changed the title to Poll: President Trump's Major Announcement