A story about a pathetic man's downfall

Francisco 2.0

44 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The new defamation case is assigned to a different Trump appointee, Anuraag Singhal.

As noted above, the statements are not defamatory, they're more akin to opinion.

The complaint also makes some noise about the actual malice standard of NYT v. Sullivan, which is what Thomas wants to get rid of.  But this case is lousy to take to the Supreme Court.

I have learned lately that defamation cases are surprisingly easy to dismiss at "failure to state a claim" level, meaning early.  So, I think this would be a good candidate for that.

Unlike the special master case, this isn't something with much/any judicial discretion, it's a pretty pure question of law.  We'll see what this Trump appointee does.

for defamation suits, don't you need to show damages? 

i mean, he could say those statements cost him the election, but he won...right?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

12 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

The new defamation case is assigned to a different Trump appointee, Anuraag Singhal.

As noted above, the statements are not defamatory, they're more akin to opinion.

The complaint also makes some noise about the actual malice standard of NYT v. Sullivan, which is what Thomas wants to get rid of.  But this case is lousy to take to the Supreme Court.

I have learned lately that defamation cases are surprisingly easy to dismiss at "failure to state a claim" level, meaning early.  So, I think this would be a good candidate for that.

Unlike the special master case, this isn't something with much/any judicial discretion, it's a pretty pure question of law.  We'll see what this Trump appointee does.

Can CNN postpone asking for a dismissal till after depositions are taken?   He files these stupid lawsuits for publicity and fund raising and knows there is no downside since it will be dismissed quickly.  I wish somebody would go ahead and let the trial go forward for a while and dispose him under oath  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

7 hours ago, trauma babe said:

Kinda crazy that the First Amendment lets him spout that planting evidence bullshit in public while refusing to say it in court.

Kinda crazy that our judicial system won't hold his own words against him in court filings and impose further sanction for his lies and abuse of the court system. But then again, it completely makes sense why they wouldn't - to address the problem is to admit there IS a problem. And we all know that we have a perfect and beyond reproach judicial system that is never abused and weaponized by special interests

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 3

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Kinda crazy that our judicial system won't hold his own words against him in court filings and impose further sanction for his lies and abuse of the court system. But then again, it completely makes sense why they wouldn't - to address the problem is to admit there IS a problem. And we all know that we have a perfect and beyond reproach judicial system that is never abused and weaponized by special interests

TwiceHorn quote?  

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Never said any such thing.  Both of those things happen all too often.  The government weaponizes it on occasion, as well.

I know and I do appreciate your explanations of the legal system.  I'm not here to kill the messenger....I just get really, really frustrated at how dotard will, seemingly, never face a single fucking consequence for all the illegal bullshit he's doing to our country. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I know and I do appreciate your explanations of the legal system.  I'm not here to kill the messenger....I just get really, really frustrated at how dotard will, seemingly, never face a single fucking consequence for all the illegal bullshit he's doing to our country. 

We'll see.

It's worth noting that his other lolsuit was dismissed and is subject to sanctions, along with the Michigan election suit.

One of the problems with all the bullshit lawsuits is that, right or wrong, judges tend to withhold sanctions "on their own motion," and wait for the winning party to make a motion for them.  And in the election suits, few of the defendants made sanctions motions, and once a lawsuit is dismissed, the motion is no longer timely.

Also, here is a summary, with examples, some quite funny, of Florida law addressing statements of opinion or fair comment/criticism: https://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/opinion-and-fair-comment-privileges

Incidentally, if you want/need a quick rundown on the defamation laws of the 50 states, that site (Digital Media Law Project) is a great resource.

8 hours ago, trauma babe said:

Kinda crazy that the First Amendment lets him spout that planting evidence bullshit in public while refusing to say it in court.

It’s amazing that he gets away with claiming that they were planted, that he declassified them when he took them there, that he doesn’t store his stolen documents on the floor like that, and they’re his and he wants them back. And there are millions of idiots who hear that and think he’s being treated unfairly and demand to know why nobody is doing anything about Hunter Biden. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Horn Dog said:

Can CNN postpone asking for a dismissal till after depositions are taken?   He files these stupid lawsuits for publicity and fund raising and knows there is no downside since it will be dismissed quickly.  I wish somebody would go ahead and let the trial go forward for a while and dispose him under oath  

Dispose with extreme prejudice

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, The Dog said:

@religioustypes- Is that blasphemy, heresy, or sacrilege?

5 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Also, here is a summary, with examples, some quite funny, of Florida law addressing statements of opinion or fair comment/criticism: https://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/opinion-and-fair-comment-privileges

Incidentally, if you want/need a quick rundown on the defamation laws of the 50 states, that site (Digital Media Law Project) is a great resource.

that sounds like an interesting and engaging read.

33 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

@religioustypes- Is that blasphemy, heresy, or sacrilege?

kinda past the point of giving a fuck what the Bible says about anything.  we are not a theocracy as much as the zealots on the GOP want it to be and trying to prove a point or justify a stance to the zealots based on the words in the Bible is already losing the argument by acknowledging that book has a say in the first place.  Then add on top the fact that the Bible is a choose-your-own adventure book that can justify whatever the hell anyone wants to.  

yeah, it's fun to dunk on people where there are blatant contradictions, but anyone bringing up what is in the good book as a response to a government question should be shut down immediately.  We (the people) don't elect a pope or high priest so fuck religion having any say.

• Hook 'Em 5

Former President Donald Trump has asked the Supreme Court to intervene in the dispute over materials the FBI seized from his Mar-a-Lago estate this summer.

His emergency request with Supreme Court is the latest example of the former President seeking to involve the justices in investigations that entangle him – at a time when the high court’s legitimacy in politically explosive cases is under intense scrutiny.

This story is breaking and will be updated.

• Rage+1 1

Is this where the whole Court votes whether to take it up and Trump has to hope Roberts and Kav don't fuck him or just the justice who oversees the 11th Circuit gets to decide? Because that judge is........

CLARENCE! 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

16 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Former President Donald Trump has asked the Supreme Court to intervene in the dispute over materials the FBI seized from his Mar-a-Lago estate this summer.

His emergency request with Supreme Court is the latest example of the former President seeking to involve the justices in investigations that entangle him – at a time when the high court’s legitimacy in politically explosive cases is under intense scrutiny.

This story is breaking and will be updated.

I hope this ends with Trump calling Kav a drunken loser. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 6

I guess, being not a legal person, I'm confused.

He hasn't lost anything yet, right?  I mean, he has his various appeals and special master and whatnot all still pending..so he can just go straight from the district court to the Supremes, despite not having all this other stuff worked out yet at the district court level?

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Tuco said:

I hope this ends with Trump calling Kav a drunken loser. 

"I never met the guy, but many people are saying he's a drunken loser, gets drunk as a dog every weekend, used to grab sorority girls and beauty pageant contestants by the pussy.  And nobody did anything about it!"

Just now, Francisco 2.0 said:

He hasn't lost anything yet, right?  I mean, he has his various appeals and special master and whatnot all still pending..so he can just go straight from the district court to the Supremes, despite not having all this other stuff worked out yet at the district court level?

He's a very special boy who demands (and gets) very special, preferential treatment at every fucking turn.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 3

3 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

He's appealing the 11th Circuit's ruling that the classified documents can continue to be used for the investigation.  He wants them back under Dearie's review. 

Trump is specifically asking the court to ensure that the more than 100 documents marked as classified are part of the special master’s review. The request, if granted, could bolster the former President’s attempt to challenge the search in court and have the documents returned to him.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

He's appealing the 11th Circuit's ruling that the classified documents can continue to be used for the investigation.  He wants them back under Dearie's review. 

So, let me get this straight.

Trump requested a Special Master.

Cannon appointed Dearie.

Dearie ruled in the DOJ and FBI favor (and then some).  Trump protested.

11th Circuit said DOJ and FBI could continue on.

Cannon edited her ruling, then changed her mind and said that Dearie was overstepping his bounds.

Now, Trump wants the Supremes to step in and put the documents back under Dearie, who (Cannon ruled) is overstepping his bounds.

Do I have it mostly right?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

So, let me get this straight.

Trump requested a Special Master.

Cannon appointed Dearie.

Dearie ruled in the DOJ and FBI favor (and then some).  Trump protested.

11th Circuit said DOJ and FBI could continue on.

Cannon edited her ruling, then changed her mind and said that Dearie was overstepping his bounds.

Now, Trump wants the Supremes to step in and put the documents back under Dearie, who (Cannon ruled) is overstepping his bounds.

Do I have it mostly right?  

87978-calvinball.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

• Bozo_Casanova changed the title to Poll: President Trump's Major Announcement