A story about a pathetic man's downfall

Francisco 2.0

Just now, GenXer said:

I would expect lawdogs to eagerly anticipate delays and dilatory tactics because billable hours.

I say this as a software consultant that has experience with billable hours.

As someone who almost went to work for Accenture/Anderson Consulting after undergrad and have several friends that did, their billing practices would make many lawyers blush.

It's mostly that lawyers get that even something as relatively straightforward as a patent application takes several years to wind through the system, as does most litigation, you adjust your expectations accordingly.

20 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, as lawdogs we have a pretty high tolerance for delays and dilatory tactics.  All in the game, yo.

And, most of this dilatory shit is at least theoretically available to any party to litigation.  They just have to be able to afford it and have lawyers willing to do it.  And, in many cases, it's not strictly a matter of affording it, but that it doesn't survive any cost-benefit analysis.  Some are willing to do it/spend on it despite the low likelihood of success.

Like this latest stunt to the Supreme Court.  It's not going to get Trump much, even delay.  Therefore, most litigants wouldn't have bothered, no matter how deep their pockets.

200w.gif?cid=82a1493b9nf7fy0a9ty2vk42nep

🙃

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

This is certainly shining a very bright light on the inner machinations of the US legal system based on who the defendant is. Hell, I would've checked out dozens of pages ago if this wasn't related to this fuckface. But let's not fool ourselves -- DOTARD isn't the only rich prick who is helped daily by the way the US legal system is set up. It doesn't work the same for people without means or other marginalized people.

1fffdf94-b8a4-4cce-bfd2-a4b57676feb5_tex

DOTARD was helped by the system when he claimed multiple bankruptcies and dodged multiple drafts.  The system just seems built to help him.  

I read a comment the other day that stated along the lines of if everything Donald did was wrong like the Liberals claim, how come he hasn't been arrested? Fake news.  

So yes, all this does aid their arguments of persecution. 

Edited by Mdhorn

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

He's a former FISA judge. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Dearie

Shh.  That's an anastasis dog whistle.

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

One thing it almost certainly did was create another order that could be appealed by Trump.  Whether the ongoing stay issue is moot or not is a very interesting question, but the answer is not clear.

Or whether the ongoing stay issue is unripe (because Trump hasn't appealed the revised order to the 11th Circuit).

Might as well put the retainer agreements with lawyers next to the toilet paper he wipes his ass with.  They're almost worth that much.

I look forward to the spin job Foxnews and DT puts on this latest round on details on the documents.

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

I don't follow the details too closely or the long-winded responses in this thread, but I know a couple of things. (1) Courts often move slowly, by design sometimes as part of due process, and shouldn't be viewed as positive or negative just part of the system; (2) Courts will be especially careful in highly publicized cases like this one which can lead to additional time or things non-lawyers view as strange since the details of procedure aren't widely considered common knowledge; and (3) there's been enough fuckery among the federal courts since 2016 that skepticism about the system in this type of case is appropriate.

It's also not unique to politicians or public figures to file frivolous bullshit motions as a delay tactic, corporate parties do it all the time, so that is the least of my criticisms from trump and his gaggle of dumbshit lawyers. The difference is that the corporate guys have better lawyers and their arguments are usually plausible enough to effectively cause delay. Trumps people are morons and their bullshittery is easier to dispose of (although I have also dealt with plenty of dumbshit lawyers filing dumbshit stuff that it sometimes is harder to respond when they make complete nonsense arguments because you have to spend half the brief pointing out clearly how stupid they are in a professional way).

I personally think there are limits that even the hardest trump judge wouldn't go through (Thomas maybe since he's an amoral piece of shit and Alito isn't too far behind) but the majority and maybe even those two will have a threshold of absurdity they won't cross. I think trump and his family are ultimately fucked but it'll get dragged out at least until he's dead and his family will strike some sort of deal. Once he's dead I won't give a shit, he just needs to disappear one way or another. 

what is giving people pause/anxiety/mini-stroke is:

-by design, courts move slowly and deliberately

-moving slowly and deliberately is the safe way to make sure everything is done right

-trump's playbook is all about delay

while it seems like these are related, they really aren't, though they are all still independently true at the same time.  the part that bothers people is that it has the appearance of "trump getting what he wants".

if i want to be late to a party, and the best way to get there is to take the 405, then we're gonna be late, even though i didn't create the traffic or choose an odd route.

Say What Saturday Night Live GIF

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

trump is not bright, we know this.

but the fact that he put documents he legally wasn't allowed to have (classified/top secret/nara) alongside documents he may have sort of been allowed to have, like personal notes about pardons, retainer agreements, other shady shit, is just chef's kiss, and right on-brand.  i bet he knows exactly what's in that "legal" stack, and it's not good for him.

it reminds me of a great, yet somehow underrated movie, body heat.  atty william hurt wants to start some shit, but he's not a criminal, so he goes to someone he's defended several times who is - mickey roarke, who is adamantly advising him against it.  he says something like, "look, when you want to do a really big crime, there's about 50 ways you can fuck it up.  if you can think of 25 of them, you're a genius.  and you ain't no genius."

Edited by henrygandorf
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

trump is not bright, we know this.

but the fact that he put documents he legally wasn't allowed to have (classified/top secret/nara) alongside documents he may have sort been allowed to have, like personal notes about pardons, retainer agreements, other shady shit, is just chef's kiss, and right on-brand.  i bet he knows exactly what's in that "legal" stack, and it's not good for him.

it reminds me of a great, yet somehow underrated movie, body heat.  atty william hurt wants to start some shit, but he's not a criminal, so he goes to someone he's defended several times who is - mickey roarke, who is adamantly advising him against it.  he says something like, "look, when you want to do a really big crime, there's about 50 ways you can fuck it up.  if you can think of 25 of them, you're a genius.  and you ain't no genius."

anyway, that's my advice to you counselor.  Don't do it.  'cause arson is a serious crime.   /cormacmccarthy

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Horndog said:

11th Circuit has fast-tracked the appeal. Not what the dotard wanted. 

https://www.reuters.com/legal/us-appeals-court-grants-justice-dept-expedited-appeal-trump-case-2022-10-05/

Seems like a pretty good sign that they are going to follow through on the holding that the special master was entirely an abuse of discretion.

Also, I saw that a "filter team" case coming out of the 11th, where they specifically approved non-special-master handling of privileged docs, was denied cert recently.  This seems to be an active area for the 11th.  Maybe Miami drug lawyers getting searched and seized.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

Oh, Asha.  A brimful of disappointment here.

Trump is not appealing, per se, he's challenging the 11th Circuit's stay of the district court's order.  It looks an awful lot like an appeal, but it isn't.  The 11th Circuit's merits decision (the actual appeal) will have little or no effect on the stay or the "appeal" thereof.

The stay is on the Supreme's shadow docket, where they avoid making precedential decisions on the merits.

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Oh, Asha.  A brimful of disappointment here.

Trump is not appealing, per se, he's challenging the 11th Circuit's stay of the district court's order.  It looks an awful lot like an appeal, but it isn't.  The 11th Circuit's merits decision (the actual appeal) will have little or no effect on the stay or the "appeal" thereof.

The stay is on the Supreme's shadow docket, where they avoid making precedential decisions on the merits.

What would be stayed, though?  If Cannon's order is vacated, there's no special master, and there's nothing to stay from the special master's review.  

17 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

he's dumber than his base .....

Sure why not? Since we're all creating false realities, where Trump isn't a treasonous, mushroomed dick bigot, we may as well also state he would beat George Washington and Abe Lincoln. Especially when Washington served as a General and Trump dodged the draft multiple times--same exact thing.  

2 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Sure why not? Since we're all creating false realities, where Trump isn't a treasonous, mushroomed dick bigot, we may as well also state he would beat George Washington and Abe Lincoln. Especially when Washington served as a General and Trump dodged the draft multiple times--same exact thing.  

Have you noticed that aggy has never lost a football that hasn't been played?  Same thing.

27 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

What would be stayed, though?  If Cannon's order is vacated, there's no special master, and there's nothing to stay from the special master's review.  

Yeah it would make the stay, or "unstay" of no effect, but the stay and the appeal are pretty independent of one another other than that.

I would fully expect the SCt to decide the stay in the next week, long before an 11th Circuit decision.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Yeah it would make the stay, or "unstay" of no effect, but the stay and the appeal are pretty independent of one another other than that.
I would fully expect the SCt to decide the stay in the next week, long before an 11th Circuit decision.

I’m not sure what you’re saying. Trump went to scotus to get the classified docs before the special master. If there’s no special master there’s nothing to bring before him.

18 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

One of the most pathetic things is how quickly the entire Republican Party and so many others in the government and elsewhere completely cow-towed to this guy like he was fucking Stalin or something.  It’s not even like it took fear of the gulag, secret police and executions to make people debase themselves.  Just “Oh no, the giant man baby might yell at me or say something mean on Twitter.”

I doubt that's it.   I bet he has acquired (or was given) a huge amount of dirt on people.   

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

One of the most pathetic things is how quickly the entire Republican Party and so many others in the government and elsewhere completely cow-towed to this guy like he was fucking Stalin or something.  It’s not even like it took fear of the gulag, secret police and executions to make people debase themselves.  Just “Oh no, the giant man baby might yell at me or say something mean on Twitter.”

Truth.

You think Lindsey Graham and others sat around and watched The Apprentice and thought to themselves "by God, I could really get behind (no pun) a man like that if he was President!  Imagine how great our country could be!"

I'm thinking more like "What a fucking piece of shit.  I hope he never asks me for something.  What a fraud"  

What really was surprising to me was evangelicals.  Sure, they are showing their true colors, but they so quickly latched on to the idea that Trump was sent from God or something like that.  But someone like Jimmy Carter is a shit stain.

• Hook 'Em 3

19 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

there's no way that number is accurate.  i would run, not walk, to vote for two zombie presidents on a ticket.  they would get 90% of the vote.

A zombie laden ticket would do well with the leopards eating people's faces party

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

More lulz...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-10-05/trump-says-feds-packed-top-secret-mar-a-lago-documents-foia-says-they-didn-t?sref=knoriXqz

This thread is GREAT!

1/1Skip AdContinue watchingafter the adVisit Advertiser websiteGO TO PAGE

5.png
1/1Skip AdContinue watchingafter the adVisit Advertiser websiteGO TO PAGE

5.png

Am2Dm GIF by AM to DM

I'm a poor. Can you c/p?

41 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

You think Lindsey Graham and others sat around and watched The Apprentice and thought to themselves "by God, I could really get behind (no pun) a man like that if he was President!  Imagine how great our country could be!"

I'm thinking more like "What a fucking piece of shit.  I hope he never asks me for something.  What a fraud"  

What really was surprising to me was evangelicals.  Sure, they are showing their true colors, but they so quickly latched on to the idea that Trump was sent from God or something like that.  But someone like Jimmy Carter is a shit stain.

They all knew who Trump is. The other R nominees all said who he is during their campaigns and during the debates. Jeb Bush (JEB!) correctly pointed out that he’s a pathological liar. Jeb’s political career is over so he could just walk off into the sunset. But Rubio and Cruz have seats to protect so they caved and kissed the ring after Trump won the nomination.

But Graham, he didn’t at first. He still called out Trump for what he is even after he won.

Then they went golfing and Lindsey changed. Maybe Trump has something on him. I suppose it would be irresponsible of me to speculate but I have an idea what it might be.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, lemonlime said:

I’m not sure what you’re saying. Trump went to scotus to get the classified docs before the special master. If there’s no special master there’s nothing to bring before him.

Whatever the Supreme Court does with the stay will occur long before the 11th Circuit rules, so whatever action the Supreme Court takes will be independent of and unaffected by the merits ruling by the 11th.

The stay/dissolution may be rendered ineffectual if the 11th vacates the Special Master order, but it won't deal with the stay otherwise.

• Bozo_Casanova changed the title to Poll: President Trump's Major Announcement