A story about a pathetic man's downfall

Francisco 2.0

What’s up with the defamation suit filed against that POS?

Edit to add:

I see the trial starts next year, and there has not been a DNA collection. 

A civil trial is allowed to see his refusal to prove his innocence as proof he is, in fact, a rapist POS. Que no?

Edited by Willfully Horn

38 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I certainly can’t repeat it to anyone followed by, “Brown Eyed Susan said so on Twitter!”

You don't have to because you can do even better.

"Many people are saying..."

"A lot of people don't know this, but..."

"A top-notch forensic accountant straight out of central casting came up to me with tears in her eyes and said..."

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/18/2022 at 8:39 PM, Brandywine said:

So how many years will this special investigation take now? 

As many as it takes to accomplish absolutely nothing and waste everyone's time and tons of money

On 11/18/2022 at 8:47 PM, Fudge Nuggets said:

Not really.

large

That's the next step, but of course it'll be the wackos trying to off the democrats and not anyone putting a round through Trump's head. 

On 11/18/2022 at 9:49 PM, TwiceHorn said:

This Smith cat seems like a pretty good appointment.

Unlike Mueller, he's never strayed very far into bureaucracy and has always remained a prosecutor/trial lawyer.

The closest thing to a bureaucrat he's been is head of the Public Integrity Section, as pointed out above, but they say he was extremely hands on with younger/less-experienced prosecutors and a great supporter and teacher.

Your continued belief in the legitimacy of a system created by the rich and white to protect the rich and white at the expense of everyone else is either the epitome of avoidance of cognitive dissonance or the height of optimistic delusion. I can't tell which, but in the end they're 2 sides of the same coin. 

Either way I'm entertained by it and enjoy reading it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

What’s up with the defamation suit filed against that POS?

Edit to add:

I see the trial starts next year, and there has not been a DNA collection. 

A civil trial is allowed to see his refusal to prove his innocence as proof he is, in fact, a rapist POS. Que no?

You mean the Carroll suit?  In that one, Trump was yet again provided with a defense that he wouldn't have but for being president in the Westfall Act, which provides immunity from suit for "official actions" and the case law on it extends the scope of official actions pretty far beyond strictly carrying out the duties of office.

So, one would be perhaps inclined to say "oh, there goes Trump abusing some privilege of office again."  And you might have a point, but, the Biden Administration came in and took the same position as Trump, that is, that his alleged defamation of Carroll was within the scope of his official duties and he was thus immune. https://www.lawfareblog.com/whats-justice-department-doing-e-jean-carroll-lawsuit

However, it seems that neither Trump's nor Biden's DOJ has been successful, although that question remains pending at the DC Circuit.

And, that is a rather bizarre suit, in that a civil case for sexual assault is probably barred by the statute of limitations, but Carroll is kind of bootstrapping it into a defamation case.  I don't know that Trump can be forced to prove that he didn't rape her, as in by DNA testing (not sure there's any pecker tracks to test), but one defense would be truth of the allegations (never happened) and his failure to attempt to prove that can be held against him.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

As many as it takes to accomplish absolutely nothing and waste everyone's time and tons of money

That's the next step, but of course it'll be the wackos trying to off the democrats and not anyone putting a round through Trump's head. 

Your continued belief in the legitimacy of a system created by the rich and white to protect the rich and white at the expense of everyone else is either the epitome of avoidance of cognitive dissonance or the height of optimistic delusion. I can't tell which, but in the end they're 2 sides of the same coin. 

Either way I'm entertained by it and enjoy reading it. 

I fully acknowledge the flaws of our justice system.  And am pretty vocal about them in other contexts. But it also tends to be more accessible to the non-rich and the non-white (or whatever the dominant culture is) than any other justice system on earth.

And I am not defending it so much as explaining how it works, what's normal and what's aberrant, because a whole lot of people post things about it without any basic knowledge of those things.

And, finally, as I have said, our justice system is about all we have left against this guy, and, therefore, I am rooting for it to work.

• Hook 'Em 4

7 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Any chance the criminal trial leads to anything ?

Apparently true. https://www.axios.com/2022/11/19/trump-cfo-allen-weisselberg-holiday-bonus

Also, to answer your question, this case is against the Trump Organization and I think a conviction of the Organization is highly likely.  Convictions of entities and corporations often don't amount to much, though.  Cf. Arthur Andersen.

34 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Apparently true. https://www.axios.com/2022/11/19/trump-cfo-allen-weisselberg-holiday-bonus

Also, to answer your question, this case is against the Trump Organization and I think a conviction of the Organization is highly likely.  Convictions of entities and corporations often don't amount to much, though.  Cf. Arthur Andersen.

aren’t the officers of the corporation held accountable ?

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

our justice system is about all we have left against this guy, and, therefore, I am rooting for it to work.

It's proving to be about as effective as Capt. Miller's side arm against the tank at the end of Saving Private Ryan. And just like that tank it'll take outside intervention to defeat it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, they might have to pay a fine! And even though Donald, Don Jr., and Eric all signed bonus checks to help Trump Org execs and the company itself avoid taxes, none of them are being charged with anything. No, they didn’t know there was anything funny going on. They just discovered the books were crooked and tried to clean things up after Trump was elected president. Weisselberg will take the fall and insulate Trump from any involvement. Trump is paying for his defense and he’ll probably be handsomely rewarded when he’s released from prison. That’s how mobsters operate. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

12 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Any chance that the deal he worked to create truth social got him to sign some level of exclusivity clause that should preclude him from using Twitter?  

and then if so, what are the chances he would violate that obligation because he can’t help himself?

I’m going to guess 0% and 100% respectively. 

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Any chance that the deal he worked to create truth social got him to sign some level of exclusivity clause that should preclude him from using Twitter?  

and then if so, what are the chances he would violate that obligation because he can’t help himself?

I saw something that said Truth Social gets a 6-hour exclusive window to his content, but he’s made it clear he’s not coming back right now,

He had a say in how the client was designed, how it works, etc. and he knows they will never ban him or push his posts down unlike Twitter, so he’s probably very happy with it.

5 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

You mean the Carroll suit?  

TFG has made the same defamatory comments after his term, so I don’t see how those remarks fit the description of POTUS immunity,(and fuck the DOJ for saying slander is a presidential prerogative.) There is a dress, so fungus slime is an open question.

Trump has continued to dismiss Carroll's allegations as false and criticize the lawsuit. Last week, he posted on Truth Social that Carroll was a "complete con job" following the news that a federal judge had rejected his bid to pause his deposition on Wednesday.

As for the black coat dress she said she was wearing during the alleged assault, Carroll told MSNBC in 2019 that she saved the garment, leaving it unlaundered, and kept it hanging on the back of her closet door for years

https://www.newsweek.com/will-e-jean-carrolls-dress-revealed-trumps-deposition-1753240?amp=1

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

He had a say in how the client was designed, how it works, etc.

‘Duh, make it just like Twitter but with a red check mark instead of a blue one.’

No way did that computer illiterate moron’s input on design and functionality go farther than that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Trump gave a speech before the Republican Jewish Coalition over the weekend, during which he bragged that he was “the greatest friend Israel ever had in the White House.” His speech was laden with jabs at President Joe Biden — as he ripped on his successor’s overall performance in office, claimed Israel’s alliance with the U.S. is “not even strong by a little bit” on Biden’s watch, and also claimed Biden “betrayed Israel and the Jewish community.”

Aside from telling the conference to rally for the restoration of his Twitter account, Trump spoke about what he called his “great fondness” for Jewish people and for Israel.

“I hope people in the United States share that,” Trump said, “because some people in the United States — Jewish people — don’t appreciate Israel the way they should. I’ll tell you who does appreciate Israel very much are the evangelicals, because evangelicals are on your side. Evangelical Christians, they’re really on your side. But I appreciate Israel, and it’s an honor to have, I think, done far more for Israel than any other president.”

https://www.mediaite.com/trump/watch-trump-brags-truth-social-better-while-encouraging-fans-to-vote-in-elon-musks-poll-on-restoring-his-twitter-account/

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

‘Duh, make it just like Twitter but with a red check mark instead of a blue one.’

No way did that computer illiterate moron’s input on design and functionality go farther than that. 

He's a boomer who claims not to use computers. I have a feeling he had input in the manner of "you have to make this easier for me to do" and "I need a client that's easy to use while I'm on the shitter" and "when people praise me, I need to easily see that".

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Evangelicals are idiots already in one cult. It’s not shocking they joined another. 

And their leaders are just fine with them being used by another cult leader as long as it benefits them, but now it's no longer benefitting a lot of the cult leaders (Trump is a proven loser, and they got their court picks and then Roe was tossed out).

I'm guessing they will flock to DeSantis, because even though he's a Catholic, he's been willing to listen to them, and he's the inevitable frontrunner.

I'm honestly surprised Trump isn't taking to twitter to attack DeSantis.

8 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

whenever i think to myself, how can i be a better jew, i think, maybe take a look at what the evangelicals are up to, then just follow their lead. 

• Drool 1

On 11/18/2022 at 6:02 PM, TwiceHorn said:

There is one law change that I think needs to be made and that is that criminal and civil statutes of limitation are tolled for the period a President holds office.   And I think that would pass constitutional muster easily.  Some other things might not.

I would think there is a solid legal argument of equitable tolling already available since limitations is different from repose. 

9 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

I would think there is a solid legal argument of equitable tolling already available since limitations is different from repose. 

Definitely on civil cases, but is there even such a thing as equitable tolling in criminal cases?

And, I think it probably needs to be made certain.  Seems like a small thing.

47 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Definitely on civil cases, but is there even such a thing as equitable tolling in criminal cases?

And, I think it probably needs to be made certain.  Seems like a small thing.

I don't disagree.  However, at the same time, if a law were enacted now it would give weight to a challenge from TFG for it being ex post facto.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Seriously, haven't we seen some version of this every few months for the past like 4 years?

It doesn't even matter.  We've seen him act treasonously many times.  There's enough smoking guns to supply an entire army.  And the cult keeps on culting while everyone else is horrified.  Those tax returns could be released and show him on Putin and Al Qaeda's payrolls and it still wouldn't matter.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 4

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Seriously, haven't we seen some version of this every few months for the past like 4 years?

I explained, I think earlier on this thread, that there have been at least three cases involving different parties (House Oversight, House Ways & Means, DA Vance) seeking Trump's tax returns under different authorities and for ostensibly different purposes.

Each case presents a different set of facts (and laws) such that the other cases have little or no bearing on them.

4 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Our legal system is designed to create nothing but upside for those who can pay to delay and delay. The worst case for the delayer is that their punishment is just handed down at a later date.

I understand why we need a system to allow someone to seek justice but it seems like the result is mainly for some to abuse it.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Our legal system is designed to create nothing but upside for those who can pay to delay and delay. The worst case for the delayer is that their punishment is just handed down at a later date.

I understand why we need a system to allow someone to seek justice but it seems like the result is mainly for some to abuse it.

In this particular case, that's not true at all.

Different parties have sought tax returns from Trump under different theories of why they are entitled to them.  The only thing these cases have in common is that they seek Trump's tax returns.

If you have an "open" system, as we more or less do, that system is open to abuses.  It's very difficult to close off the system to "abusive" users without excluding substantial numbers of non-abusive users.

It's why Sidney Powell and her ilk have defenses to what they did:  American plaintiffs are permitted to pursue novel legal theories and those not yet supported by facts that could be developed during the case.  Drawing a line between abuses like Powellco and legitimate claimaints seeking redress for real injuries is not as simple as people want to make it.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I will believe it when I see it. Can't he raise another legal issue in an attempt to delay it another 6 weeks to get to a GOP-led House?

Supremes and non-MAGA/Q Republicans have gotten their marching orders. They're moving on from Trump to a more-electable POTUS candidate like DeSanctimonious. SCOTUS and Congress are no longer going to protect DOTARD.

• Hook 'Em 2

• Bozo_Casanova changed the title to Poll: President Trump's Major Announcement