A story about a pathetic man's downfall

Francisco 2.0

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I explained, I think earlier on this thread, that there have been at least three cases involving different parties (House Oversight, House Ways & Means, DA Vance) seeking Trump's tax returns under different authorities and for ostensibly different purposes.

Each case presents a different set of facts (and laws) such that the other cases have little or no bearing on them.

And yet all it would take is for one case to rule that he has to release his tax returns, and wallah, the other two cases are settled!  So the relevance of three cases and different laws is largely a red herring.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Supremes and non-MAGA/Q Republicans have gotten their marching orders. They're moving on from Trump to a more-electable POTUS candidate like DeSanctimonious. SCOTUS and Congress are no longer going to protect DOTARD.

The MAGAt voters are still going to vote for him, he’ll win the nomination again, then everyone you think has moved on will do an about face and hop right back on the Trump train. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, C-Man said:

Supremes and non-MAGA/Q Republicans have gotten their marching orders. They're moving on from Trump to a more-electable POTUS candidate like DeSanctimonious. SCOTUS and Congress are no longer going to protect DOTARD.

Congress probably will, but SCOTUS has never really helped Trump out much at all.

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

And yet all it would take is for one case to rule that he has to release his tax returns, and wallah, the other two cases are settled!  So the relevance of three cases and different laws is largely a red herring.

bonus rep for "wallah"

• Hook 'Em 1

At the oral argument

Pryor asked Trump's lawyer to cite "a single decision by a federal court other than this one" with a similar result.

Trump's lawyer Jim Trusty said he could not, but that the circumstances of a former president being the subject of the search needed to be considered.

"I agree with the court's premise that there's not case law," Trusty said. "I would start with the broader premise, which is there's also not a situation in the history of this country where a sitting president authorized a raid of a presidential candidate's home." Trusty also said that his team isn't asking for special treatment for Trump.

That dumb motherfucker argued that to a United States Court of Appeals.  What.  The.  Fuck.

Same guy that called it a "dispute over an overdue library book" at the district court, where I suppose you can get away with more, especially if you think the judge is in your pocket.

But Jesus.

Edited by TwiceHorn

15 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

At the oral argument

That dumb motherfucker argued that to a United States Court of Appeals.  What.  The.  Fuck.

Same guy that called it a "dispute over an overdue library book" at the district court, where I suppose you can get away with more, especially if you think the judge is in your pocket.

But Jesus.

So why is this a bridge too far?  For real, I rely on you to explain stuff like this to plebs like myself.  I mean, it is a "presidential candidate's home".  Is it a big deal because he wasn't officially a presidential candidate at the time? 

I'm not being flippant.  I really want to know.

52 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

So why is this a bridge too far?  For real, I rely on you to explain stuff like this to plebs like myself.  I mean, it is a "presidential candidate's home".  Is it a big deal because he wasn't officially a presidential candidate at the time? 

Don't believe him! He's being flippant.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It’s not a raid, he wasn’t a presidential candidate, and the president wasn’t the one to explicitly authorize it?

Yeah saying Biden personally authorized it was just spreading lies and conspiracies to the panel of already skeptical judges. I’m sure they had a good laugh in the chambers afterward 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

For one thing, it's counter-factual in terms of Biden's role in it and whether Trump was a candidate at the time.  You don't want to play loose with the facts in a court argument, it undermines your credibility.  You don't want to have an appellate judge come back on you as recounted in putt's tweet, unless it is a very honest mistake, and even then.

And, courts are reluctant to be drawn into matters purely political, even if they're Trump appointees or otherwise political hacks.  In some sense, it's just a matter of appearances, but as the sanctioning judges in Michigan and Florida have said, the courts are not a proper forum for airing of political grievances, especially the fictitious or fantastical.

A large percentage of federal judges, even the most political Opus Dei/Fed Soc hacks, are vastly smarter than the Trump base and are not falling for that shit.  They may cynically use Trump to advance their political agenda, but they don't buy into his bullshit at all.  Trump is so simplistically wrong so much of the time that the courts cant' grant him relief even if they want to.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

For one thing, it's counter-factual in terms of Biden's role in it and whether Trump was a candidate at the time.  You don't want to play loose with the facts in a court argument, it undermines your credibility.  You don't want to have an appellate judge come back on you as recounted in putt's tweet, unless it is a very honest mistake, and even then.
And, courts are reluctant to be drawn into matters purely political, even if they're Trump appointees or otherwise political hacks.  In some sense, it's just a matter of appearances, but as the sanctioning judges in Michigan and Florida have said, the courts are not a proper forum for airing of political grievances, especially the fictitious or fantastical.

Correct.
Courts are for feats of strength. Which is why I tried an entire case last week shirtless, periodically slamming opposing counsel to the ground and doing a WWE strut in front of the jury.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Correct.
Courts are for feats of strength. Which is why I tried an entire case last week shirtless, periodically slamming opposing counsel to the ground and doing a WWE strut in front of the jury.

Stop crying and fight your opposing counsel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Stop crying and fight your opposing counsel.

That’s almost happened three times in my career. Once in a depo, once in the courtroom after the hearing, and once in the street outside after winning at trial. Shit can get real in Texas. I figure it will actually happen for real one of these days.
I have a knack for really pissing some people off.
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The GOP always want to go back to the Nixon defense that "if the President does something, it means it's not illegal." But with Trump, they want to expand that quote to include Presidential candidates and not consider Biden to be the President. 

“If a Republican president or presidential candidate or former president does something, it means it’s not illegal” is what you mean 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Correct.

Did you win?
The GOP always want to go back to the Nixon defense that "if the President does something, it means it's not illegal." But with Trump, they want to expand that quote to include Presidential candidates and not consider Biden to be the President. 

Yeah except when Nixon said that, the ENTIRE country was shocked and dismayed.
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

It frees them from the burden of having to think for themselves. 

One of the last exchanges with my biological father ended when I asked him to stop parroting whatever he heard on fox news and just think for a minute. He responds, I DONT LIKE TO THINK!!!

To which I said, then I can't help you. 

Sometimes wonder if I'm adopted. I look nothing like my immediate family members.  I'm a 6'2 ginger while everyone else is squatty with dark hair.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Correct.

This post made Nick Adams, Alpha Male, wet. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Underdog said:

This post made Nick Adams, Alpha Male, wet. 

Wet like the wings at your local hooters where you should be hanging out with your bros 24/7! Fuck spending time with a wife or girlfriend, alpha males only spend time with alpha males!! 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

The MAGAt voters are still going to vote for him, he’ll win the nomination again, then everyone you think has moved on will do an about face and hop right back on the Trump train. 

gop - well, i will likely support the republican candidate, and i really think it'll be ron dansantis.  he's sensible and has our best interests at heart.  trump's nonsense has worn thin and we're done with him, he needs to just move on with his life.

narrator - trump is the nominee, now what? 

gop - as you might recall, i recently said i would support the republican candidate, so my hands are tied.  also have you heard about hunter biden?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 3

8 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

That’s almost happened three times in my career. Once in a depo, once in the courtroom after the hearing, and once in the street outside after winning at trial. Shit can get real in Texas. I figure it will actually happen for real one of these days.

One of my better friends in law school wound up getting in a fistfight at a deposition with a friend from undergrad. 

10 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

One of my better friends in law school wound up getting in a fistfight at a deposition with a friend from undergrad. 

Who are you in this video

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

One of the last exchanges with my biological father ended when I asked him to stop parroting whatever he heard on fox news and just think for a minute. He responds, I DONT LIKE TO THINK!!!

To which I said, then I can't help you. 

Sometimes wonder if I'm adopted. I look nothing like my immediate family members.  I'm a 6'2 ginger while everyone else is squatty with dark hair.

You were adopted by Denisovans?

• Bozo_Casanova changed the title to Poll: President Trump's Major Announcement