A story about a pathetic man's downfall

Francisco 2.0

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

Maybe. It just depends on how the evidence has come out so far. If all the testimony and evidence the defense wanted was introduced during the Plaintiff's case, it isn't much of a risk. It isn't like the defense is waiving closing argument. Muddling up the plaintiff's case with all the defense stuff is a time honored tactic. 

I agree that a judgment against him personally is going to be harder for him to get around. But I'm sure his paper assets are held in various trusts that then themselves have different holding companies for the various assets. While he may not technically be judgment proof, I would not be surprised if untangling that mess would in and of itself cause a significant expense to any judgment creditor. Hell, maybe he even has found a way to hide many of his assets in an ERISA retirement account, which would make them immune from collection. 

Well, if New York has anything like the Turnover statute in Texas, a judgment creditor can make his life a living hell pretty easily.  He's over 71, so his ERISA stuff is spitting out RMDs that could become E. Jean Carroll's RMDs.

3 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I don't know what this means, or that it means anything. But I do want to record here for posterity that the Trump org employs security execs named Matthew Calamari Sr, and also his son. Matthew Calamari Jr. 

Not clear: which Matthew Calamari is pictured below. 

I bet Trump hired them just because he likes their names.

4 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

Maybe. It just depends on how the evidence has come out so far. If all the testimony and evidence the defense wanted was introduced during the Plaintiff's case, it isn't much of a risk. It isn't like the defense is waiving closing argument. Muddling up the plaintiff's case with all the defense stuff is a time honored tactic. 

I agree that a judgment against him personally is going to be harder for him to get around. But I'm sure his paper assets are held in various trusts that then themselves have different holding companies for the various assets. While he may not technically be judgment proof, I would not be surprised if untangling that mess would in and of itself cause a significant expense to any judgment creditor. Hell, maybe he even has found a way to hide many of his assets in an ERISA retirement account, which would make them immune from collection. 

I agree that maybe it's not that risky to us techniicians, but I would be worried about jury expectations of some kind of case in chief from the defense.  I'd also be worried that my fucking client didn't bother to show up for the trial.

In a criminal case, it just seems to work better to say, the state has the entire burden of proof beyond a reasonable doubt, my client doesn't have to prove or say a single thing to avoid conviction.  And then not put on a case in chief in defense.

You can do the exact same thing in a civil case, but for all the vagaries of what the hell is a burden of proof and can you really measure it, I think it's a lot easier to fall back on a reasonable doubt than excluding a preponderance.

But there's also the issue of what the hell do you put on for such a defense.  You'd think you'd at least want to put up your guy to deny it, but Trump.  So, I don't know.

How did this case survive summary judgment anyway?

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't know what this means, or that it means anything. But I do want to record here for posterity that the Trump org employs security execs named Matthew Calamari Sr, and also his son. Matthew Calamari Jr. 

Not clear: which Matthew Calamari is pictured below. 

Hmmmm…..this is disturbing….the tentacles of the Trump gang extend into every element of our society. DO THE RESEARCH, SHEEPLE.

11 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, if New York has anything like the Turnover statute in Texas, a judgment creditor can make his life a living hell pretty easily.  He's over 71, so his ERISA stuff is spitting out RMDs that could become E. Jean Carroll's RMDs.

He probably doesnt have a shit ton of money put away in ERISA sheltered accounts.   There's a limit on what he can put in annually to any of them.   At best, he could put around 22,000 a year away.  The Trump Org could put additional money in but we're not talking millions and millions of dollars unless that has been happening for decades.  I highly doubt that Trump has a significant 401k or 457f balance.   His liquid money is probably in the Caymans or Bermuda.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Macanudo said:

He probably doesnt have a shit ton of money put away in ERISA sheltered accounts.   There's a limit on what he can put in annually to any of them.   At best, he could put around 22,000 a year away.  The Trump Org could put additional money in but we're not talking millions and millions of dollars unless that has been happening for decades.  I highly doubt that Trump has a significant 401k or 457f balance.   His liquid money is probably in the Caymans or Bermuda.  

And, legally speaking, only valid contributions are exempt from creditor claims.  In addition to any tax consequences, "overstuffing" is not exempt.

But Texas and I imagine most other jurisdictions have a collection procedure by which any sums owing to the judgment debtor can be paid over to the judgment creditor.  Things like management fees, or distributions from trusts, or ERISA or other retirement accounts.

23 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

And, legally speaking, only valid contributions are exempt from creditor claims.  In addition to any tax consequences, "overstuffing" is not exempt.

But Texas and I imagine most other jurisdictions have a collection procedure by which any sums owing to the judgment debtor can be paid over to the judgment creditor.  Things like management fees, or distributions from trusts, or ERISA or other retirement accounts.

Even with "overstuffing" there's an annual limit between employer and employee contributions.   It's currently $66,000 and only went over $50,000 in 2012.   It was between 30-40k from 1994-2003.  Sure, to the normal person, 40k a year being put away into an 401k plan is phenomenal.    For a "billionaire" $400,000 over ten years should be chump change.   I'd be shocked if Trump had more than 4-5 million in an ERISA account.

He's also the only self-proclaimed "billionaire" to not have a family office.  His supporters, at least the dipshits that even know what a family office is, dismiss it as "Trump's so smart, he doesn't need a family office...he handles everything himself even when working 100 hours/week as President."  

There's two reasons Trump does not operate a family office, but instead pretends to run all his "investments" through the Trump Organization:

1.  He's not worth anywhere near what he says he is.

2.  The transparency and reporting requirements are pretty robust.  Say what you want about billionaires cheating on taxes, almost every last one of 'em runs a family office to handle investments outside their originating/core business and most of them are on the level.  Since, like most of what Trump does is completely smoke and mirrors, consider his "asset allocation" to be complete bullshit.  I'd say if you strip away his bullshit self-valuation of just saying all the equity valuations of all his real estate is his personal net worth, on a proper balance sheet---Donald Trump, kids aside, is probably personally worth $100mm.  Tops.  But he's just such a goddamn stable business genius, it's hard to say.  Because you know...how stable people are always misreporting balance sheets.  That totally normal thing wealthy people do for no fucking reason but to invite public scorn and legal ridicule.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

As I said in regard to Clarence Thomas, the corruption is just so brazen:

Huh, no AR-15 pins on their uniforms. Commies. 

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Even Trump’s staunchest supporters know he’s going down for this. Can you imagine the fallout if a connection between Trump’s document heist, LIV golf and the Saudis is established?

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/04/us/politics/trump-documents-subpoenas-justice-department.html

Federal prosecutors investigating former President Donald J. Trump’s handling of classified documents have obtained the confidential cooperation of a person who has worked for him at Mar-a-Lago, part of an intensifying effort to determine whether Mr. Trump ordered boxes containing sensitive material moved out of a storage room there as the government sought to recover it last year, multiple people familiar with the inquiry said.

Through a wave of new subpoenas and grand jury testimony, the Justice Department is moving aggressively to develop a fuller picture of how the documents Mr. Trump took with him from the White House were stored, who had access to them, how the security camera system at Mar-a-Lago works and what Mr. Trump told aides and his lawyers about what material he had and where it was, the people said.

At the heart of the inquiry is whether Mr. Trump sought to hide some documents after the Justice Department issued a subpoena last May demanding their return.

The existence of an insider witness, whose identity has not been disclosed, could be a significant step in the investigation, which is being overseen by Jack Smith, the special counsel appointed by Attorney General Merrick B. Garland. The witness is said to have provided investigators with a picture of the storage room where the material had been held. Little else is known about what prosecutors might have learned from the witness or when the witness first began to provide information to the prosecutors

Edited by Satchel

5 hours ago, Satchel said:

Even Trump’s staunchest supporters know he’s going down for this. Can you imagine the fallout if a connection between Trump’s document heist, LIV golf and the Saudis is established?

3 of my least favorite things...

4 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I'll take "Favorite 'stars' from one million years ago", for $800, Alex 

Hundreds of thousands of years before homosapiens existed on this planet, you had stars grabbing women by the pussy. 

That guy was president. Still just mind blowing. 

And might be again. He is going to WALK with the nomination of one of our two political parties, without even a meaningful challenge.
One of our political parties is not only ok with this, they want MORE of it, they can’t get ENOUGH of it, they think he’s the BEST PRESIDENT IN HISTORY.

We occupy the same planet as these people. This is like standing outside in a blizzard, obviously freezing our asses off, and half the people are insisting that this is the hottest, sunniest day ever! What the actual fuck?
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

One of our political parties is not only ok with this, they want MORE of it, they can’t get ENOUGH of it, they think he’s the BEST PRESIDENT IN HISTORY.

ferris-they-think-hes-a-righteous-dude.g

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

We occupy the same planet as these people.

indeed. It's called "Planet of the Apes."

A devolutionary future society in which the science/evolution-denying apes rule the humans. The 1968 film masterpiece saw it coming, symbolically. Nuclear apocalypse or intellectual collapse, the effect is the same. Crash! Apes in charge. 

ApesPosterBest.jpg

TrumpZaius.jpg

Edited by BevoAbyss
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Drool 1