A story about a pathetic man's downfall

Francisco 2.0

A federal judge on Thursday imposed nearly $1 million in sanctions on former President Donald Trump and his lawyer for filing a “frivolous” lawsuit against Hillary Clinton and others that claimed they tried to rig the 2016 presidential election in Clinton’s favor.

“This case should never have been brought,” wrote Judge John Middlebrooks in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida in his order sanctioning Trump for the civil suit, which the judge previously dismissed.

“Its inadequacy as a legal claim was evident from the start,” Middlebrooks wrote.

“No reasonable lawyer would have filed it. Intended for a political purpose, none of the counts of the amended complaint stated a cognizable legal claim.”

Under the order, Trump and his lead lawyer in the case, Alina Habba, are jointly and severally liable for the total amount of sanctions the judge imposed: $937,989.39.

“The amount of fees awarded in this case, while reasonable, is substantial,” Middlebrooks wrote.

The judge’s order is the latest in a series of embarrassing legal setbacks for Trump, which have included the criminal conviction last month in New York state court of his Manhattan-based real estate company, The Trump Organization, for a years-long tax avoidance scheme.

Trump and his company also face a major civil lawsuit by New York’s attorney general for an alleged scheme to misstate the valuation of real estate assets for financial gain, and Trump also is being sued by the writer E. Jean Carroll, who accuses him of raping her in the mid-1990s in New York.

A state grand jury in Georgia recently completed gathering evidence and hearing testimony as part of an ongoing criminal probe into whether Trump illegally tried to overturn the results of the state’s 2020 election, which he lost.

And federal prosecutors are investigating Trump for his bid to reverse his loss in the national election to President Joe Biden, and his taking government documents to his Florida residence when he left office.

Middlebrooks in September had dismissed the lawsuit against Clinton and all other defendants besides the United States government “with prejudice,” which bars Trump from refiling the complaint.

In his order Thursday, the judge noted that Trump’s suit had “fatal substantive defects,” and that its factual allegations were undermined and contradicted by the public reports and filings upon which it purported to rely.”

Trump late last year announced that he will seek the 2024 Republican presidential nomination.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Cool.  When does he supposedly have to pay this?  He's going to be dead in 10-15 years (god let it be sooner), so who gives a shit?  Any "penalties" this man receives for his crimes against humanity need to be doled out immediately if we are to make an example of him...oh, I get it now.  Furk.  

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

A federal judge on Thursday imposed nearly $1 million in sanctions on former President Donald Trump and his lawyer for filing a “frivolous” lawsuit against Hillary Clinton and others that claimed they tried to rig the 2016 presidential election in Clinton’s favor.

“This case should never have been brought,” wrote Judge John Middlebrooks in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida in his order sanctioning Trump for the civil suit, which the judge previously dismissed.

“Its inadequacy as a legal claim was evident from the start,” Middlebrooks wrote.

“No reasonable lawyer would have filed it. Intended for a political purpose, none of the counts of the amended complaint stated a cognizable legal claim.”

Under the order, Trump and his lead lawyer in the case, Alina Habba, are jointly and severally liable for the total amount of sanctions the judge imposed: $937,989.39.

“The amount of fees awarded in this case, while reasonable, is substantial,” Middlebrooks wrote.

The judge’s order is the latest in a series of embarrassing legal setbacks for Trump, which have included the criminal conviction last month in New York state court of his Manhattan-based real estate company, The Trump Organization, for a years-long tax avoidance scheme.

Trump and his company also face a major civil lawsuit by New York’s attorney general for an alleged scheme to misstate the valuation of real estate assets for financial gain, and Trump also is being sued by the writer E. Jean Carroll, who accuses him of raping her in the mid-1990s in New York.

A state grand jury in Georgia recently completed gathering evidence and hearing testimony as part of an ongoing criminal probe into whether Trump illegally tried to overturn the results of the state’s 2020 election, which he lost.

And federal prosecutors are investigating Trump for his bid to reverse his loss in the national election to President Joe Biden, and his taking government documents to his Florida residence when he left office.

Middlebrooks in September had dismissed the lawsuit against Clinton and all other defendants besides the United States government “with prejudice,” which bars Trump from refiling the complaint.

In his order Thursday, the judge noted that Trump’s suit had “fatal substantive defects,” and that its factual allegations were undermined and contradicted by the public reports and filings upon which it purported to rely.”

Trump late last year announced that he will seek the 2024 Republican presidential nomination.

And his rape trial is scheduled to start in April. Good times ahead.

Edited by Satchel

Under the order, Trump and his lead lawyer in the case, Alina Habba, are jointly and severally liable for the total amount ofsanctions the judge imposed: $937,989.39.

I’ll bet Ms Habba had an ‘oh shit!’ moment realizing she’s on the hook for the full amount knowing damn well that deadbeat isn’t paying his share. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Satchel said:

Trump has claimed he couldn’t have raped E. Jean Carroll because she wasn’t his type. But when shown a picture of her, he mistook her for his former wife Marla Maples.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/3819286-trump-mistook-photo-of-rape-accuser-e-jean-carroll-for-ex-wife-during-deposition

Trump mistook photo of rape accuser E. Jean Carroll for ex-wife during deposition

Former President Trump mistook his rape accuser, E. Jean Carroll, for his former wife, Marla Maples, in a photo shown to him during a deposition in October, according to court records unsealed this week.

In the deposition for a lawsuit filed against him by Carroll, the writer who has accused Trump of raping her in the 1990s, the former president mistakenly identifies the author as his then-wife Maples in a photo of the two at a 1987 NBC event.

“I don’t even know the woman. I don’t know who — it’s Marla,” Trump said in the deposition from his Mar-a-Lago residence when shown the photo. Pointing to Carroll in the photo, Trump said, “That’s Marla, yeah. That’s my wife.”

Carroll’s lawyers interjected, telling Trump that it was Carroll he was pointing to. 

“Oh, I see,” Trump answered.

Trump told The Hill in 2019, after the allegations from Carroll had surfaced, that the writer was “not my type.”

Trump previously claimed to have never met Carroll but later said he had been made aware that there was a photo of him and Carroll shaking hands at the NBC event. 

Trump married Maples in 1993 after the birth of their daughter, Tiffany. They divorced six years later.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Trump has claimed he couldn’t have raped E. Jean Carroll because she wasn’t his type. But when shown a picture of her, he mistook her for his former wife Marla Maples.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/3819286-trump-mistook-photo-of-rape-accuser-e-jean-carroll-for-ex-wife-during-deposition

Is that the dementia showing, or the idiocy, or the not paying any attention to anything that isn’t great for him narcissism?

11 hours ago, Satchel said:

For the record, it is not a rape trial, it is a defamation case arising out of allegations of rape and denial of same.

So, it's a civil case, like most of Trump's, and can be settled and probably will be.  Which is how a criminal case differs wildly from what Trump is used to.

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, The Dog said:

'Member when barristers of this board said we were being overly emotional and irrational when we said that judge cannon was in the bag for trump? I 'member. 

It's funny how even now, folks who should know better than to think trump does things in good faith, still keep fucking falling for his shit 

42 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

For the record, it is not a rape trial, it is a defamation case arising out of allegations of rape and denial of same.

So, it's a civil case, like most of Trump's, and can be settled and probably will be.  Which is how a criminal case differs wildly from what Trump is used to.

I read this in the voices of the kid and his daD on the lunar shuttle in airplane II.   “How many kids get to live on another planet?”  

55 minutes ago, Captainant said:

'Member when barristers of this board said we were being overly emotional and irrational when we said that judge cannon was in the bag for trump? I 'member. 

It's funny how even now, folks who should know better than to think trump does things in good faith, still keep fucking falling for his shit 

That post neither proves nor disproves that Cannon is or was in the bag for Trump.

No one ever questioned whether Trump was forum shopping for what he believed was a sympathetic judge.  Of course, Trump believes all of his appointed judges are sympathetic, and he's wrong most of the time.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Cool.  When does he supposedly have to pay this?  He's going to be dead in 10-15 years (god let it be sooner), so who gives a shit?  Any "penalties" this man receives for his crimes against humanity need to be doled out immediately if we are to make an example of him...oh, I get it now.  Furk.  

If he doesn't pay, at minimum, you can expect that he will not be permitted to file civil suits in the S.D. Florida and Habba will not be permitted to appear as his counsel, there, or probably any other federal courts.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

If he doesn't pay, at minimum, you can expect that he will not be permitted to file civil suits in the S.D. Florida and Habba will not be permitted to appear as his counsel, there, or probably any other federal courts.

• Hook 'Em 2

He can easily raise the money tomorrow when he he speaks at Diamond’s memorial service.  After spending 30 minutes airing his grievances (spending 1 minute actually talking about Diamond), he can plug a memorial fund to be set up for Diamond.*

*fine print…95% of funds raised go to Trump’s legal penalties, 5% to Diamond.**

**actually it will all go to Trump.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

That post neither proves nor disproves that Cannon is or was in the bag for Trump.

No one ever questioned whether Trump was forum shopping for what he believed was a sympathetic judge.  Of course, Trump believes all of his appointed judges are sympathetic, and he's wrong most of the time.

Are you seriously arguing cannon wasn’t and isn’t in the bag for trump?

17 hours ago, Matuka said:

He can easily raise the money tomorrow when he he speaks at Diamond’s memorial service.  After spending 30 minutes airing his grievances (spending 1 minute actually talking about Diamond), he can plug a memorial fund to be set up for Diamond.*

*fine print…95% of funds raised go to Trump’s legal penalties, 5% to Diamond.**

**actually it will all go to Trump.

Her funeral sounds a lot like Festivus.  Is there an aluminum poll involved in this somehow?  

33 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Poll?

Yes, this is a political thread.  So we're putting a poll out in the field:

Would you be more likely or less likely to vote for Trump if he did for the aluminum industry what he did for the coal industry?

1.  More Likely

2.  Less Likely 

3.  Unsure/No Opinion

serious question-are these services for Diamond available to see online/streaming?  Or will we have to wait until attendees post their personal videos to social media?  I am morbidly curious to hear what Trump says.  

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

Are you seriously arguing cannon wasn’t and isn’t in the bag for trump?

I have not followed the story that closely. Once the 11th circuit bitch slapped her stupid decision making I thought she complied with the appellate court…instead of trying to do some weaselly end-around their direction.

I tell ya Sawbones, while I think favoring Trump is a more likely scenario, I simply can’t ignore the possibility that she is dumb as a post - and like humans often do she let her inclinations substitute for whatever goes in her brain for a logic.  

Stupidity and negligence are often the correct explanation for perceived malevolent machinations by a court. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/21/2023 at 1:07 PM, Gatorubet said:

I have not followed the story that closely. Once the 11th circuit bitch slapped her stupid decision making I thought she complied with the appellate court…instead of trying to do some weaselly end-around their direction.

I tell ya Sawbones, while I think favoring Trump is a more likely scenario, I simply can’t ignore the possibility that she is dumb as a post - and like humans often do she let her inclinations substitute for whatever goes in her brain for a logic.  

Stupidity and negligence are often the correct explanation for perceived malevolent machinations by a court. 

I think she was overly sympathetic to the notion that executing a search warrant on a POTUS was unprecedented (it was) and maybe deserved some deference and public airing for that reason.

She botched the equitable analysis mostly for those same reasons:  the factors are very squishy and that type of bias can creep in really easily.  And, she's a baby judge and overawed by things, that may or may not include gratitude/obeisance to the beast that appointed her.  District judges usually aren't nearly as immersed in politics as court of appeals judges, who are not nearly as immersed as supreme court candidates.  She had to have some kind of GOP "bona fides" to be even considered, but once she got the attention of the right people, it was mostly a fait accompli.

One thing that's interesting, though, the factor that the 11th Circuit focused on, "disregard of constitutional rights," it claimed was the A#1 factor, but no prior cases really said that.  But in the final analysis, she fucked the dog on most of them, so it's immaterial.  

And, two of the three 11th Circuit judges ruling were Trump appointees, and the third, Will Pryor, was one Trump (really FedSoc) only wishes he could have appointed.