Baker Mayfield is a piece of shit catchall thread

Landomatic

1 minute ago, Deej said:

Why would anyone make that trade? Anyone trading for him when they can just wait until the end of the season to get him for pennies on the dollar is an idiot. 

There are some really poorly run NFL teams and one of them might think that Baker got a bad deal in Cleveland and would do it in order to get him and see if they could make a playoff run. 

It's highly unlikely but look at the Texans, Lions, Jets, Giants, Jaguars, and Bears. All are capable of using incredibly poor judgment and doing something like this.

51 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Those kind of stats are useless without knowing how the average NFL QB fares in such situations. But still, 2-14 seems anti-clutch.

Agreed. This article said 37.9% success rate in 2020. Only one year but over 100 drives. So league average in 16 chances would be 6-10 versus his 2-14.

https://www.milehighreport.com/platform/amp/2021/8/3/22559449/nfl-quarterback-success-and-failure-in-2020-on-late-game-drives-when-trailing

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, The Dog said:

Pretty much this. If Cleveland doesn't contend next year then he'll probably be traded for draft picks but only if the Browns eat some of the contract. 

He's the very definition of "serviceable". 

The thing is, he's surrounded by dudes in Cleveland so teams are going to wonder how he'll do on a team that isn't as loaded as the Browns. 

This is exactly it. If he can't produce surrounded by good talent, then where can he produce? The Browns run the fuck outta the ball, and Baker still can't make any headway in the passing game or even make the D respect him in their schemes. Imagine this POS on a team that doesn't have that kind of OL, running game, or weapons (i.e. most teams), where he'd have to throw the ball more often and in worse down & distance scenarios where the D knows what's coming. The social media posts from his stupid af bitch wife alone would be off the charts hilarious. 

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, The Dog said:

There are some really poorly run NFL teams and one of them might think that Baker got a bad deal in Cleveland and would do it in order to get him and see if they could make a playoff run. 

It's highly unlikely but look at the Texans, Lions, Jets, Giants, Jaguars, and Bears. All are capable of using incredibly poor judgment and doing something like this.

LOL, yep. And if he weren't playing for the Browns already, they'd probably be stupid enough to trade for him.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, TurkeyChew said:

As a #1 overall pick he's clearly a bust. As a QB in the NFL he's probably got another decade in him, bouncing from various teams and oscillating between starter and back-up. He's basically a more unlikable Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Or Colt McCoy? <ducks>

1 hour ago, Ignatius said:

Not when Kareem Hunt is healthy; that’s the best 1-2 RB combo in the NFL…

their 3rd string guy also flashed here and there. 

my 2 cents. BM reminds me of squints. Hyper strong arm from texas HS system and can toss the ball GDG sideways style like a champ. However has no touch. On the other hand it is nice to see a guy like Josh Allen get some touch on his throws (in addition to just being a strong arm guy)

Aaron Rodgers is the high bar for touch. There has to be something in between the two, but I am afraid thats like 3 or 4 guys tops in teh league at any one moment who can both sling it and throw with the right touch. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Chopper said:

I choose to view this as when they need to score but can’t rely on the running game and have to rely on the qb.  Spectacular failure. 

out of the 30 or so browns qbs over the past 20 seasons, how many have had good results as a starting qb in the nfl for any extended period of their post-browns career?

you’d think the nfl teams would notice the pattern and stop considering qbs that get pooped out of the browns losing machine. 

Baker had 2 chances in the divisional round against KC to win that game and advance to the AFC title game but miserably failed both times. You put the ball in his hands when the game is on the line and bad things will usually happen. I will cut him a little slack because he has had a different OC I believe each of his 4 seasons but still, his mechanics just are not that good. I have zero idea why they drafted him #1 overall. They had a chance to get either Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson. Either would be better. But it's Cleveland so it would not be them if they actually hit on a QB. That should be their #1 priority this offseason. If you roll Baker out there again, you are going nowhere. 

4 hours ago, Helobious said:

Those kind of stats are useless without knowing how the average NFL QB fares in such situations. But still, 2-14 seems anti-clutch.

Baker sucks but agree that statement means little without context.  time remaining, how many TO's, field position...

59 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Baker had 2 chances in the divisional round against KC to win that game and advance to the AFC title game but miserably failed both times. You put the ball in his hands when the game is on the line and bad things will usually happen. I will cut him a little slack because he has had a different OC I believe each of his 4 seasons but still, his mechanics just are not that good. I have zero idea why they drafted him #1 overall. They had a chance to get either Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson. Either would be better. But it's Cleveland so it would not be them if they actually hit on a QB. That should be their #1 priority this offseason. If you roll Baker out there again, you are going nowhere. 

And the original Browns franchise (the Ravens) stole LJ at #32 after the Browns took Baker #1. The level of incompetence of some NFL personnel people is just staggering.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, wood said:

And the original Browns franchise (the Ravens) stole LJ at #32 after the Browns took Baker #1. The level of incompetence of some NFL personnel people is just staggering.

In all honesty, I don’t think LJ has the same success anywhere else.  The Baltimore staff is one of the best.  

6 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

One Baker's biggest problems is his coach is a fool.

Chubb ran 17 for 126. He should never have less than 25 when healthy and Baker is his QB.

Absolutely. It’s like this every game. D’E Johnson isn’t bad either. When Hunt is healthy they should run no less than 35 times per game. Mayfield’s ceiling is Flacco. Start playing to your strengths. KS should be fired if they miss the playoffs. New guy needs to turn BM into a bus driver. That’s all he is. And then move him after ‘22 season. 

4 hours ago, staboner said:

their 3rd string guy also flashed here and there. 

my 2 cents. BM reminds me of squints. Hyper strong arm from texas HS system and can toss the ball GDG sideways style like a champ. However has no touch. On the other hand it is nice to see a guy like Josh Allen get some touch on his throws (in addition to just being a strong arm guy)

Aaron Rodgers is the high bar for touch. There has to be something in between the two, but I am afraid thats like 3 or 4 guys tops in teh league at any one moment who can both sling it and throw with the right touch. 

Baker’s problem is he doesn’t have the arm talent.  I don’t pay too much attention to big arms, but in the league, there are probably none bigger than Mahomes, Allen, Rodgers, Stafford, Herbert, Wentz and Lawrence. Mayfield doesn’t have anywhere near that arm - not even Dak’s. He looks more like Case McCoy in the NFL, relatively speaking. It’s noticeable every time I see him play. 

34 minutes ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

In all honesty, I don’t think LJ has the same success anywhere else.  The Baltimore staff is one of the best.  

I don’t think LJ is that good. I think his MVP year was an anomaly and while efficient because he could run, he couldn’t really pass then and hasn’t developed at all (he’s regressed). If I were an NFL GM, I doubt he’d be in my Top 10 of QBs I’d pick. 

Yea but in free agency. the draft seems like it will suck for QBs. Lots and lots of good o and d linemen will go top ten it seems.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 12/27/2021 at 8:39 PM, Porterhouse said:

Baker’s problem is he doesn’t have the arm talent.  I don’t pay too much attention to big arms, but in the league, there are probably none bigger than Mahomes, Allen, Rodgers, Stafford, Herbert, Wentz and Lawrence. Mayfield doesn’t have anywhere near that arm - not even Dak’s. He looks more like Case McCoy in the NFL, relatively speaking. It’s noticeable every time I see him play. 

I don’t think LJ is that good. I think his MVP year was an anomaly and while efficient because he could run, he couldn’t really pass then and hasn’t developed at all (he’s regressed). If I were an NFL GM, I doubt he’d be in my Top 10 of QBs I’d pick. 

Nope...he can sling it. He just sucks

PFF said 2nd one was longest throw in the air they've charted

10 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Nope...he can sling it. He just sucks

PFF said 2nd one was longest throw in the air they've charted

Most NFL QBs can throw those. His velocity is simply not there. He doesn’t have a big arm. 

13 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Most NFL QBs can throw those. His velocity is simply not there. He doesn’t have a big arm. 

A company that provides analysis for literally all pro and major college football teams and has 850k+ followers on Twitter says he has the longest throw, but Porterhouse from the internet says nah....OK bud...

I'm not saying he has the strongest arm. Just that arm strength isn't his problem.  He has several problems,  like decision making, touch, accuracy, leadership,  liability and on and on. But he can throw it a long way. If one of you physicists wants to explain how being able to throw it 70 yards doesn't prove its a strong arm please feel free and show your work

Edited by Dennis Taylor

33 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

A company that provides analysis for literally all pro and major college football teams and has 850k+ followers on Twitter says he has the longest throw, but Porterhouse from the internet says nah....OK bud...

I'm not saying he has the strongest arm. Just that arm strength isn't his problem.  He has several problems,  like decision making, touch, accuracy, leadership,  liability and on and on. But he can throw it a long way. If one of you physicists wants to explain how being able to throw it 70 yards doesn't prove its a strong arm please feel free and show your work

Because the guys I named all can do it too. They just haven’t had the opportunity to Uncle Rico the ball in a live game setting. The difference is, they have markedly stronger arms. He cannot make throws with the velocity they have. Arm talent is an issue with him.