Baker Mayfield is a piece of shit catchall thread

Landomatic

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

This take never ceases to be stupid. The NFL has a great product. It’s much better than the college game once you get past your alma mater and a few other programs/marquee games. Less crazy shit happens perhaps but part of that is CFB having four times as many games every week.

I agree the take is stupid. I don’t agree that the NFL has a much better product than college. 

The NFL has a much more polished product than college. Clearly. That doesn’t necessarily make it better, as anyone who’s seen “polish” mess up a steak, or chili, or enchiladas, or tacos, muscle cars, or anything else that’s been so refined that it loses a lot of the character than makes it awesome in the first place. 

I get that there are people who live and die for pro teams. Good for them. That’s cool. I’ll take the bands and the pageantry and the life-and-death of a game, especially a rivalry game, over a largely sterile NFL game all day. Others have a different opinion. Luckily, we have the immutable fact that Baker Mayfield is a piece of shit as at least one unifying thesis. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On 12/9/2022 at 9:42 PM, satyanash said:

FjjA8yVWIAIFTbU?format=jpg&name=large

Haha, sums up my feelings spot on. All the okies here would put him in the hall of fame for that win! He had some good games in Cleveland too, but he sucks shit overall. He also did it against LV, which is a joke of a franchise right now with a lame duck coach that everyone hates. He bought himself maybe an extra year or so in the league as a backup, that's literally all he managed with that game. 

13 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

I agree the take is stupid. I don’t agree that the NFL has a much better product than college. 

The NFL has a much more polished product than college. Clearly. That doesn’t necessarily make it better, as anyone who’s seen “polish” mess up a steak, or chili, or enchiladas, or tacos, muscle cars, or anything else that’s been so refined that it loses a lot of the character than makes it awesome in the first place. 

I get that there are people who live and die for pro teams. Good for them. That’s cool. I’ll take the bands and the pageantry and the life-and-death of a game, especially a rivalry game, over a largely sterile NFL game all day. Others have a different opinion. Luckily, we have the immutable fact that Baker Mayfield is a piece of shit as at least one unifying thesis. 

I think college is way more fun of a product to watch in person, and the NFL is a better product for watching on TV. I don't think I'll ever attend another NFL game, the atmosphere is stale compared to college, and the crowds and parking lots are ten times as rough and trashy. College bands, tailgating, and the more direct connection if your an alum can't be matched by the NFL.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I think college is way more fun of a product to watch in person, and the NFL is a better product for watching on TV. I don't think I'll ever attend another NFL game, the atmosphere is stale compared to college, and the crowds and parking lots are ten times as rough and trashy. 

Whatever do you mean?

Screen-Shot-2015-12-06-at-10.22.36-PM-61

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

I think college is way more fun of a product to watch in person, and the NFL is a better product for watching on TV. I don't think I'll ever attend another NFL game, the atmosphere is stale compared to college, and the crowds and parking lots are ten times as rough and trashy. 

College, in person >>>> College, on TV >>> NFL, on TV >>>>>>>>> NFL, in person

I’ve been to NFL games in a few different venues. Like you, I doubt I’ll ever go to another one. There’s nothing, from the Super Bowl on down, that would motivate me to get up and go to one even for free. 

I don’t really care about the trashiness, per se. I went to Columbus, after all.

The Cowboys used to be second only to the Longhorns when it came to football, so I understand the concept. There’s still a lot of nostalgia there — I grew up when they didn’t suck, a playoff berth was a given, and watching them in the playoffs during Christmas break was just how life was — but that’s about it. 

• Hook 'Em 5

48 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

The above all makes sense. I love, love, love the college game. It's just not always played all that well. The line between success/failure in the NFL is razor-thin because the players are so damn good and the league structure is such to mostly attempt to bring parity to the league. And the NFL playoffs are far superior to college football's current format. I reserve the right to change my mind after the 12-team playoff cranks up in 2024, though I still think the NFL format is pretty tough to beat. Finally, I think the very best football games played every year come from the NFL -- Chiefs/Bills in the playoffs last year, Bills/Vikings from regular season so far and so on.

7 minutes ago, C-Man said:

The above all makes sense. I love, love, love the college game. It's just not always played all that well. The line between success/failure in the NFL is razor-thin because the players are so damn good and the league structure is such to mostly attempt to bring parity to the league. And the NFL playoffs are far superior to college football's current format. I reserve the right to change my mind after the 12-team playoff cranks up in 2024, though I still think the NFL format is pretty tough to beat. Finally, I think the very best football games played every year come from the NFL -- Chiefs/Bills in the playoffs last year, Bills/Vikings from regular season so far and so on.

There are no upsets in the nfl. App state over michigan is an upset. Jacksonville over philly is not. 

the antiquated systems and coaching and shitty owners that only care about going 8-8 make the nfl shit. The re-treads, cronyism and backward thinking makes it borderline unwatchable. Nfl is boring as fuck compared to college

There are no bands, no rivalries, no recruiting, no rankings, no characters, and most stadiums are indoors. College is better by far

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Haha, sums up my feelings spot on. All the okies here would put him in the hall of fame for that win! He had some good games in Cleveland too, but he sucks shit overall. He also did it against LV, which is a joke of a franchise right now with a lame duck coach that everyone hates. He bought himself maybe an extra year or so in the league as a backup, that's literally all he managed with that game. 

... depending on how the rest of his season goes with the Rams. If I had to bet, it won't all be rosy.

10 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Of course the talent level, preparation, execution, etc. are higher in the NFL. And the margin for error is much smaller. It’s a far better game, strictly speaking, no doubt, but that doesn’t make it a better product. 

The playoffs are a can of worms. There is a very high intensity level in the NFL playoffs. The difference between a #1 seed and a #7 seed is relatively small, especially in a one game “winner take all” scenario, even with nearly half the teams in the playoffs. It’s an attractive scenario even though I’m not as big a pro fan as I used to be. 

College is apples and oranges as far as the playoffs are concerned, imo. You’re never going to have the same level of representation or connections among so many teams. (A 64 team super Division 1 will/would scale back those issues.) The current beauty pageant aspect of it sucks. The “conference winners and some at larges” scenario mostly gets around that at the expense, to some degree (imo), of the meaningfulness of regular season games, particularly OOC ones. Maybe that’s just the price to pay and the change in mindset it will take: a 8-4 team that wins a conference and gets on a run, or avoids injury, can win it all. We’ll have to see it in practice, I suppose. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

No rivalries in the NFL? JenniferLawrenceOK.gif

I’ll buy rivalries in the NFL to some extent, but nowhere near the extent they’re made out to be. Maybe in the pre-free agency days when the core of teams stayed more intact. I think that back in the day — get off my lawn — the Chiefs and Raiders, Cowboys and Redskins, etc. honestly disliked each other and wanted to inflict pain. It seems much more business-like now, though, of course, you especially want to beat the guys in your division. 

Rivalries in college are real. Nfl rivalries are like wwe wrestling compared to college. People dont steal each others mascots in the nfl. People dont vandalize other peoples fields/stadiums in the nfl. Nfl doesnt have fight songs, but if they did, they wouldnt have other teams in the fight songs. People dont load cannons onto trains in the nfl.

ive said it before but ill say it again… nfl is for those who didnt go to college or went to college without an fbs football team. 

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Never mind about that. 
How fast can the Tampa cops run?

The cops in the video were of pretty average speed I'd say but the guy who actually made the tackle used an effective pursuit angle. He also did a good job of forcing the ball carrier into the boundary. The sideline is really an extra defender and it's never missed a tackle.  And this may have been the first concussion it's dealt out. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.everythinglubbock.com/news/state-regional/courts-baker-mayfield-seeks-proof-of-how-his-12m-was-invested-with-familys-companies/

Attorneys for Baker and Emily Mayfield filed a petition in Travis County District Court to request information regarding the potential misappropriation of $12 million by an Austin investment firm where Mayfield’s family members work.

hey at least he has not invested in a college station bar with John

but then again if John is successful with the Money Bar there could be a Bakers Money Bar franchise in Norman

“I’m going to form an investment group and let my parents/sibling/uncle/cousin manage my new-found fortune. That’ll work out swell.”
Tale as old as time.

Why hire a financial advisory who has a fiduciary obligation to act in my best interest when uncle daddy knows there is money in banana stands!
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

Why hire a financial advisory who has a fiduciary obligation to act in my best interest when uncle daddy knows there is money in banana stands!

Errbody know the real money is in banana JUICE stands. Capital investment required for juicing equipment.