Fishing Megathread: Looking For Big Girls Who swallow

Mac8111

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, troph said:

Solid article on fishing the Guad for rainbows. It’s worked really well the 3 times we went in December.

https://www.castellguideservice.com/post/guadalupe-river-nymphing

Nymphing has always been my goto on the Guad.  I tie a bunch of spanflex midges and eggs before going.  If I get bored, I'll try something else, but that rig is most productive.

3 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

You can always catch bull reds and big black drum in the winter (well generally speaking).  Not sure how you'd do it on a fly rod though, if that's what you were intending.  

Not there yet would use standard equipment. Looks like we won’t go, a buddy of ours wants to go to big bend for a long weekend. I’ll get down there in February I think. 

3 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

Subscribed.  Last weekend of deer season then a few more quail hunts... then my focus shifts to them big girls!

This was my plans. Just got a call this afternoon and I’m back to WV for the next 6-8 weeks.   And we are absolutely covered up in quail this year.  Need that powerball to hit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, troph said:

Not there yet would use standard equipment. Looks like we won’t go, a buddy of ours wants to go to big bend for a long weekend. I’ll get down there in February I think. 

Well you can't go wrong with Big Bend, especially this time of year.  If/when you do decide to go to PINS let me know and I'll point you to a couple tutorial posts on another fishing board that might help.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Some friends of mine have been wrecking the state snapper over the last few weeks. Little further up the coast than y’all but some pigs up to 30”.   I’m talking crushing them. 

I had a 25” and 23” but those were the biggest.  We had a lot of 16-18” ones we kept. We threw back probably as many as we kept and suffered so much bait theft it would make a big city police chief blush. 

i’ve never been snapper fishing as the goal of the trip but it was surprisingly fun because there’s always action.  And they are a bit trickier than I thought they’d be.

I also was happy with the smaller ones this time, as it made for some tremendous eating.  Super tasty and now I’ve wrecked my New Years diet.  

Edited by troph

55 minutes ago, troph said:

i’ve never been snapper fishing as the goal of the trip but it was surprisingly fun because there’s always action.  And they are a bit trickier than I thought they’d be.

If you want to up the fun, and typically entice bigger fish, use jigs instead of just dropping bait.  We have a lot of success that way and it really culls down the smaller fish. Snapper fishing is fun to me.  Get those hogs in first then spend the rest of the day trolling for pelagics.  We eat it every  3rd meal or so until we are out every time.  Wife loves it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

If you want to up the fun, and typically entice bigger fish, use jigs instead of just dropping bait.  We have a lot of success that way and it really culls down the smaller fish. Snapper fishing is fun to me.  Get those hogs in first then spend the rest of the day trolling for pelagics.  We eat it every  3rd meal or so until we are out every time.  Wife loves it. 

This was how I caught the two bigger ones... 

5F7B8994-887C-4000-BE88-C8348FD61BA4.jpeg

Next time I’ll try without the bait fish, If that’s what you are saying.  We had some bigger jigs too. The guys who had the action but the small ones were just using frozen cut spotted croaker.  

with my new found confidence with the fly rod set up I was a bit more adventurous and departed from their bait set up and did this.

I’ll probably read up for next time.

I think our next trip is an over night for tuna and I’ll make sure we bookend with some snapper.  It is a lot of fun if you find their holes then it’s just one after the other.  Different kind of action.

All the fish to eat would be great but my gf isn’t much of a fish eater, go figure. 

Edited by troph

@troph So one small thing.  If snapper fishing with “natural bait”, the law is it has to be on a non-stainless, circle hook.   It’s almost impossible to find jigs (butterfly type) that have circle hooks. I typically take the hooks off a snapper slapper and add circle hooks to it myself.  This law goes for dropping bait or “tipping” jigs.  We disqualified ourselves out of a tournament once with a low 20’s# snapper that would have won because of it.   Nice little $2500 lesson.  Not trying to play Jr Racoon ranger on you just don’t want y’all to get a ticket. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mac8111 said:

70 degrees in POC for The Freeze Out tournament. Lol.

Saw the Calcutta was up to 52k at one point (don’t know where it ended).   I’ll say this, it’s been held in more crappy Wx than good. I can remember at least 2 years it’s was windchill upper 20’s/low 30’s and WINDY.  

Took my newly minted teenager chasing rainbows for his birthday.  Little bit of tag and hide and seek today.  Hard day fishing with the sun and no clouds but we did alright. 6 in the net, new skills foe both of us, I caught two small ones on a wolly bugger - practicing for Guad bass this spring.  Young man netted two large. I had the best jump *and* runs thus far... four runs on one fish. Jumped at the end of the third run near the boat and screamed away for a fourth as soon as she saw the net. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 1/30/2021 at 6:29 PM, Mac8111 said:

70 degrees in POC for The Freeze Out tournament. Lol.

Saw first ended up at 24.62 including a 9.4 red and 7.8 trout.    IIRC that's a 3T/1R tournament.    LOL, just noticed 2 of the top 5 fish that "friends" tournament I try and do every year down there.  Becoming a bit outclassed in that one it appears. 

That's why you take it slow down the ditch at night.

This dude is looking at some pen time unless his attorney can pull a rabbit out of a hat.

Convictions at trial (or technically, even a plea bargain) for Intoxication Assault and Intoxication Manslaughter sentences can be run concurrent by the trial judge, should the court so desire. So trying a multi-victim case can be perilous. His max exposure would be 2-10 for IA and 2-20 for IM, probably with a deadly weapon allegation that would make him serve at least 50% of any sentence before becoming parole eligible, but as a practical matter, in cases like this, a defendant would not parole out until close to all of the sentence was served.

On 2/11/2021 at 3:43 PM, 4th and 5 said:

This dude is looking at some pen time unless his attorney can pull a rabbit out of a hat.

Convictions at trial (or technically, even a plea bargain) for Intoxication Assault and Intoxication Manslaughter sentences can be run concurrent by the trial judge, should the court so desire. So trying a multi-victim case can be perilous. His max exposure would be 2-10 for IA and 2-20 for IM, probably with a deadly weapon allegation that would make him serve at least 50% of any sentence before becoming parole eligible, but as a practical matter, in cases like this, a defendant would not parole out until close to all of the sentence was served.

I all but quit drinking on the boat for this reason.  Lake Travis the last two years has been a shit show when busy.  That and teenage sons always watching as well fake beer is now really really good considering all we used to have is odouls. 

Edited by troph

havent asked around about that guy's family but if his family has even slight pull, grand jury passes on this case. calhoun county isn't a hot bed of liberty and justice. the right family can swing a big dick down there. 

ill go out on a limb, he ends up with probation and stern warning 

11 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

havent asked around about that guy's family but if his family has even slight pull, grand jury passes on this case. calhoun county isn't a hot bed of liberty and justice. the right family can swing a big dick down there. 

I’ve got a close friend that knows the family of deceased.  Said the wife was adamant she didn’t want any charges pressed (guess it’s not her call) but told everyone that would listen (DA, law that was reaching out to them, etc).  Said she didn’t want to ruin any more lives. Apparently the guy was arrested at ramp (with father - prefishing for a tourney) not long after incident which doesn’t jibe with this article.  Take that with a grain of salt, I’m sure you know how rumors fly around H’ville. 

But to your point, I thought the same. 35 yo with 125k bay rig headed back to sanctuary screams local family pull.  To be honest, it was my understanding the guy who passed was his best friend.  You killed your best friend and injured 2 more, that’s quite the punishment in itself. 

15 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I’ve got a close friend that knows the family of deceased.  Said the wife was adamant she didn’t want any charges pressed (guess it’s not her call) but told everyone that would listen (DA, law that was reaching out to them, etc).  Said she didn’t want to ruin any more lives. Apparently the guy was arrested at ramp (with father - prefishing for a tourney) not long after incident which doesn’t jibe with this article.  Take that with a grain of salt, I’m sure you know how rumors fly around H’ville. 

But to your point, I thought the same. 35 yo with 125k bay rig headed back to sanctuary screams local family pull.  To be honest, it was my understanding the guy who passed was his best friend.  You killed your best friend and injured 2 more, that’s quite the punishment in itself. 

being white and having money goes a long way in calhoun county. if he was mexican, 100% prison time would be in his future. calhoun county has to be tough on those law breaking mexicans ! 

it's very well known down there that port oconnor is treated differently. people buy down there because they assume they're 'above the law' and can cut loose as they see fit 

Edited by tx 3 putt

For what they were doing, yeah.   Shotgun starts with runs to Baffin don’t work that way, though. I’ve been passed on tournament morning in that area by SCBs  at well over 75 in the dark.  I’m a slowpoke by their standards at ~70.  And I guarantee you those guys aren’t watching their AIS. One close call with a barge (instant death) is all it takes to have AIS system set up and reading on your chart.  Hell we monitor both the chart and the VHF (displays AIS data) as a backup.  Scary shit with little margin for error. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

I definitely agree with your premise as I have had multiple occasions to represent “the right family” in a Calhoun County courtroom, but unless the D’s BAC was under .08 or there iare some issues with the warrant or blood test, this case isn’t going away with a slap on the wrist.

Edited by 4th and 5

15 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Apparently the guy was arrested at ramp (with father - prefishing for a tourney) not long after incident which doesn’t jibe with this article.  

He was arrested last week at his house in POC by Game Wardens.  They got him when he came in from prefishing for Legends.