Fishing Megathread: Looking For Big Girls Who swallow

Mac8111

4 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Monofilament. Serious business.

Noticed the last time I changed out line that it had a lot of spool memory, maybe I got a bad batch?

What is your go-to monofilament for inshore fishing?  I've always been a 10 or 12 lb Trilene guy but I'm looking to see what else is out there.

When I fished mono, 10# Ande.  Changed after each trip, unless it was a several day trip and then I’d change every few days. It’s absolutely the cheapest part of any trip.  BUT I fish reels with small capacity so it’s fast and small amounts. 

2 hours ago, justhookit said:

Friend of mine is hooked up right now. Three fish killed so far but one didn’t make weight. Missed by 7 pounds. That boat was in all the pots. The 2 fish that did make weight were caught by boats that only entered the small pots, so there is a lot of money out there if someone boats a 300 pound or better fish in the next hour. Total pot was 9.7 million and I was told 7 million of that was still up for grabs today. Holy shit.

Yeah, I heard the 9.7 mil figure.  Holy schnikey!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

i fished on Saturday from Charlies in seadrift. water was hella low. boats couldn't run through the pass. the lagoon and shoalwater bays were almost bone dry. i thought the fish would be stacked up on the ESB shoreline waiting for the tide and water levels to rise so they could go back into the lakes. they were but not as many as i thought. fished around coyote pass ESB shoreline from 1-6PM. schools of mullet, shad, and shrimp were up and down that shoreline. tons of blow ups all around me but only in a 50 yard stretch of that shoreline. hardly saw reds but saw a decent amount of trout and lady fish. threw top water, jerk baits, mirrolures, corky and doa shrimp, nothing. the only thing they would hit was a paddle tail medium retrieve, no pauses, no rod action. even then they would mostly only nibble at the tail. i managed to catch 4 trout 15-18" and one red at 23". there was simply way to much bait for them.

when i made it back to Charlies, there was a TPWD guy surveying everyone who got off the water. he told me, i was only the 2nd person all day who caught trout. i got back at 6:15pm ish. he said tons of reds were caught but only 9 legal trout were brought back to charlies. a ton of boats launch from charlies. i was amazed by what he said. so yea, i guess that's what's driving the propose trout reg changes. looks like trout got hit HARD by the feb freeze. 

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

God knows I’ve done my part in letting them recover this year (by not fishing AT ALL FML) 

same. Sat was my first time fishing since Dec of last year. golf took over my free day on the weekends. but yea, the smell of that salt air and the pull of drag got me focused again. 

42 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

God knows I’ve done my part in letting them recover this year (by not fishing AT ALL FML) 

I haven't caught a Redfish in over a year. In that year, I've been to the Bahamas once and Mexico twice, caught probably 30 Bonefish and two Permit. It's just been a weird year. Weather sucked most of spring and early summer, then it got hot, now the weekdays have been good, but the weekends are blown out. The boy and I have been carp fishing on Buchanan a fair bit. It's fun and definitely harder than Redfishing, but I do miss the salt. Now our annual Cocoderie trip is in doubt because of the storm damage, but I just booked Ascension Bay Lodge for the week between Christmas and New Years, so I guess I'll get by. 

• Hook 'Em 2

17" trout and a closed flounder season. Never thought I'd see that happen, but even Louisiana reduced creel limits to 15 trout over by the TX border parishes. Signs of the apocalypse.

After catching my 30th undersized trout in a row I'll often comment "well at least if rule of law collapsed and I had to feed my family I could do it."

8 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I haven't caught a Redfish in over a year. In that year, I've been to the Bahamas once and Mexico twice, caught probably 30 Bonefish and two Permit. It's just been a weird year. Weather sucked most of spring and early summer, then it got hot, now the weekdays have been good, but the weekends are blown out. The boy and I have been carp fishing on Buchanan a fair bit. It's fun and definitely harder than Redfishing, but I do miss the salt. Now our annual Cocoderie trip is in doubt because of the storm damage, but I just booked Ascension Bay Lodge for the week between Christmas and New Years, so I guess I'll get by. 

Gotta catch em when you can.

This remote work thing works for me because I can live near the coast, fish a lot, and work on deals hundreds of miles away.

• Hook 'Em 2

i fished on Saturday from Charlies in seadrift. water was hella low. boats couldn't run through the pass. the lagoon and shoalwater bays were almost bone dry. i thought the fish would be stacked up on the ESB shoreline waiting for the tide and water levels to rise so they could go back into the lakes. they were but not as many as i thought. fished around coyote pass ESB shoreline from 1-6PM. schools of mullet, shad, and shrimp were up and down that shoreline. tons of blow ups all around me but only in a 50 yard stretch of that shoreline. hardly saw reds but saw a decent amount of trout and lady fish. threw top water, jerk baits, mirrolures, corky and doa shrimp, nothing. the only thing they would hit was a paddle tail medium retrieve, no pauses, no rod action. even then they would mostly only nibble at the tail. i managed to catch 4 trout 15-18" and one red at 23". there was simply way to much bait for them.
when i made it back to Charlies, there was a TPWD guy surveying everyone who got off the water. he told me, i was only the 2nd person all day who caught trout. i got back at 6:15pm ish. he said tons of reds were caught but only 9 legal trout were brought back to charlies. a ton of boats launch from charlies. i was amazed by what he said. so yea, i guess that's what's driving the propose trout reg changes. looks like trout got hit HARD by the feb freeze. 
I was down there Sat as well. Left my waders in the truck and was shivering my ass off. Beautiful day though, wow.

Experienced the same deal, fished known low tide spots on Bayucos, Big Pocket, J hook and down to greens. Could not get a blow up on tops or much more than a casual bump on artificials anywhere. Kept a few reds for dinner after seeing several schools and basically fishing a gulp like dead bait. My buddy strung his limit quick with bait. Couldn't buy a bite on arties and i fished my ass off and skipped the UT game. Trout spots were ass aside from a giant school of sandies. With the low tides, time of year, perfect weather and warm water I expected an epic bite like many many Novembers past were they hit anything thrown and stacked up on any marsh drain shoreline and were easy pickings. Weird day

My son finally got a good flounder gigging trip. I let him finish my limit. He spotted the largest at 23" himself in a sneaky shell patch area. That fucker was angry and got my kid's adrenaline up and sprayed some mud for sure. They were stacked up everywhere, quick limits, then a bit of hand grabbing and releasing them for fun. Expect a closure next year so glad we got 1 trip in.

Bait soakers at the jetties, and surf did really well on bulls. Now that my kid wades, its not really my bag.

• Hook 'Em 3

Waded Friday afternoon and most of the day on Saturday. All our Reds were super shallow. Came across a pod of about 25 of them hauling ass in 12 “ of water on the Dewberry shoreline where the Lagoon empties out. We managed to catch up to them and I got one on top water and a buddy hooked up and then broke off and then they scattered.

Next day in same area they wanted no part of top water at all. I finally switched to salt pepper Gambler and put it on their nose and the finally bit.

One trout was caught drifting over by Bill Day.

Was a pretty weekend of weather and the wind was much lighter than expected.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, davidg said:

So, I guess this is how the 0.01% fishes.   Dudes are slaying some marlin.

Those guys are running a serious fishing program. 5 or 6 years ago I know their budget was around 4 million a year and that was before they had the mothership and giant sf.

I know the guys that had the previous record. When the stripe marlin are stacked up that thick at Mag Bay you are really only limited by how much live bait you have available. If they were using the mother ship to hold bait and transferring throughout the day, I’d say it’s sort of “cheating”. Still cool nonetheless.

my friends and captain fished there last week and said it was insane fishing.

So

On 11/17/2021 at 11:24 AM, justhookit said:

Those guys are running a serious fishing program. 5 or 6 years ago I know their budget was around 4 million a year and that was before they had the mothership and giant sf.

I know the guys that had the previous record. When the stripe marlin are stacked up that thick at Mag Bay you are really only limited by how much live bait you have available. If they were using the mother ship to hold bait and transferring throughout the day, I’d say it’s sort of “cheating”. Still cool nonetheless.

my friends and captain fished there last week and said it was insane fishing.

So my captain had 270 bites on that last trip. Mostly trolling and not doing live bait like that video. They are fishing again the first week of December and then headed back to Costa Rica. I’m going to head down to CR late January and spend a couple of months fishing and drinking Imperial.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 2

22 hours ago, justhookit said:

So

So my captain had 270 bites on that last trip. Mostly trolling and not doing live bait like that video. They are fishing again the first week of December and then headed back to Costa Rica. I’m going to head down to CR late January and spend a couple of months fishing and drinking Imperial.

that's a rough life. hoping you have the strength and courage to endure it. thoughts and prayers.

• Like 1

I gotta give a shout out to Temple Fork Outfitters customer service. Little Rojo broke the tip on his 8wt Sunday (shut the hatch on it) and we are going to Mexico the week between Christmas and New Year. Last year I broke a Scott Meridian ($1,000 rod) about this time of year, and it took almost 3 months to get it back. I ended up buying the TFO the boy just broke just to have something to use in the Bahamas on our Christmas trip last year. Anyway, the boy loves the rod and I told him it's highly unlikely he gets it back from warranty service in time for our trip, so he'd probably have to use his old rod. So yesterday morning I was filling out the online warranty form, and decided to email them and see what the expected turn around time was and if I could pay to expedite. The lady told me I had two options. Option one: Fill out the warranty form, send them the whole rod, let them check out the break and then send me back the repaired rod. The warranty replacement is $20, plus shipping both ways. They're in Dallas, so probably $40-$50 all in. OR, Option 2. I could just buy a replacement tip section for $56 including shipping and tax and they could ship it right away. I opted for that option at 2:00 yesterday afternoon, and the new tip section showed up at 10:00 this morning. Pretty great experience from a company that doesn't make a rod that costs over $350 bucks. 

• Hook 'Em 6

OK so "this ain't no bullshit" I went fishing with three buddies the Saturday after Thanksgiving. We were about 15 miles from the nearest point of land in the GOM offshore of Taylor County, Florida. Saw a "log" about 150 yards from our spot. The "log" was looking weird in the water so we decided to idle over. We found a boar hog "deader than Elvis" just floating around. Didn't see any bullet holes but we didn't look too hard because it wasn't daisy fresh. The working theory is that someone shot it and it ran to (or was dumped in) the river and the tides gave it a free ride out. Obviously it was November so it made it out without the wall of teeth tearing it up.

We limited out on gag grouper trolling FWIW. 929820dcc9feefa9faf095c50acc558a.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

God I love mid seventies in December.

I got a good buddy in town on a couple of big girls at the jetties on Friday.

image.thumb.jpeg.520f70381f3e61d676ca668773e9013d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.bb79ee4866dbc6df70e62c83e50392f6.jpeg

Then we waded West Bay yesterday midday for a couple hours and got these three for the grill.

image.thumb.jpeg.acc510555b3e1814faa2077f9727af88.jpeg

Its just as nice out today but too damn tired to go back out.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

Do any of y'all who have done the Gunnison overnight float trips have a trusted guide/outfitter?  Paging @MoJames, @DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt, @troph, others?

I'm looking at stuff to do next July, and I'm thinking this would be a good time to take my 17yo and 14yo boys as a bucket list experience I'd like us to have before they fly away.

1 hour ago, Damor said:

Do any of y'all who have done the Gunnison overnight float trips have a trusted guide/outfitter?  Paging @MoJames, @DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt, @troph, others?

I'm looking at stuff to do next July, and I'm thinking this would be a good time to take my 17yo and 14yo boys as a bucket list experience I'd like us to have before they fly away.

Black Canyon Anglers is good and has the advantage of having a cabin on the river where you can stay for your last night of the trip for something like $200 extra 

• Hook 'Em 1

Thanks, y'all!  I'm checking in with Black Canyon, but it looks like this is something I probably should have thought about earlier -- I got an additional recommendation from the guys at ArkAnglers for RIGS, and they're already booked all but one day in July.  I'm even having trouble getting our usual accommodations in Gunnison and Salida this far out -- guess the whole world has gone crazy.