Fishing Megathread: Looking For Big Girls Who swallow

Mac8111

On 5/18/2022 at 6:32 PM, tequila said:

Any recs for a guide/outfitter in Jackson, WY?  I want to take my two boys (11 & 9) on a half day trip so the can try fly fishing.  They’re both great with a spinning rod, but fly will be a new thing for them.  Would prefer to wade/walk versus float.  TIA.

I've used WorldCast Anglers and love them.  They have a stable of guides that are excellent.

I haven’t fished with them since Aubrey died, but I bet they’re pretty good. They launch out of Riviera. Actually, since it’s Putt asking, they launch out of Loyola Beach. Putt knows that part of the world pretty good. 

• Like 1

[mention=171]Lat22[/mention] or [mention=251]Pescado_Rojo[/mention] or anyone else ….. any recs for Baffin Bay guides ?
it’ll be 3 or 4 of us 

I have someone for you. Will fish hard. I’ll message you his info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

I haven’t fished with them since Aubrey died, but I bet they’re pretty good. They launch out of Riviera. Actually, since it’s Putt asking, they launch out of Loyola Beach. Putt knows that part of the world pretty good. 

I just fell into a dove lease dow there. My brother wants to go and look at it, figured why not set up a fishing trip 

• Hook 'Em 1

The wind gave us a few open windows (not many) over the last week and a half.  With how bad April and May have been so far, its nice to just get out on the water.  Had a few decent pulls for the efforts.  All on live shrimp in W Galveston Bay.

5C4AD9D9-8BCA-4374-B6B4-9F26FF855B5C.jpeg

349ACD0B-6D95-4330-B6CF-A73ED43E643A.jpeg

F7FD2937-C655-47A8-8C3D-257D9A0A8410.jpeg

E3BD8C28-BEF9-42D0-80BB-70BB57BD4FD5.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, justhookit said:

675 pound bluefin tuna caught by a friend of mine last week out of Port A at the floaters.

377E4CF5-C5E0-4F9E-B0CA-3B793FF7C60A.jpeg

The brought in a couple of those pigs to Pelican Rest Marina in Galveston last week as well.  Not mine, taken from the Facebooks.

image.thumb.jpeg.ebfe81599d03904439fbc97bbf9b9d9a.jpeg

A32F63E0-DB40-45D1-9DC2-C422E6255B99.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 5/18/2022 at 11:35 PM, Chewbacca said:
On 5/18/2022 at 8:42 PM, texastough said:
It usually happens mid June so I imagine this weekend is early.

Is been really hot and dry this spring. They are expecting it early, just don't know how early.

sorry was banned missed your original email...you'll be too early, but better before the hatch than right after. damn i miss those fish.

2 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

sorry was banned missed your original email...you'll be too early, but better before the hatch than right after. damn i miss those fish.

Yeah, last weekend was the only time we could fit it in, so that's what we did.  Drove in a fucking blizzard all the way from Fraser to Glenwood.  Snow let up until just outside Carbondale and then kept snowing all the way to where we were staying in Crawford.  Didn't snow at the Pleasure Park, but it was cold and the water was really high as they were flushing out one of the dams upstream (flows were over 1000 cfs).

All that said, we had a great day.  Didn't throw any dries (I only saw one fish surface all day), but San Juan worms and stonefly nymphs did the trick.  We had a great guide float us down and he had us on fish all day long.  I just love that river.  By far my favorite river in CO.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

All yous fly fisherman:

Im going to be in Banff National Park in a few weeks and will be bringing my fly rod. I have never trout fished so I am looking for some helpful tips on flies/presentation/anything else that could help me land a couple. Reading up on the waters, it looks like the following species can be found in the area:  

Rainbow Trout, Brown Trout, Brook Trout, Lake Trout, Mountain Whitefish, and Lake Whitefish.
I know we have several guys on this thread that target trout so I am hopeful y’all can help this poor pathetic n00b. 

PS any tips on how to not get mauled by bears would be appreciated as well. 

3 hours ago, hookemATL said:

All yous fly fisherman:

Im going to be in Banff National Park in a few weeks and will be bringing my fly rod. I have never trout fished so I am looking for some helpful tips on flies/presentation/anything else that could help me land a couple. Reading up on the waters, it looks like the following species can be found in the area:  

Rainbow Trout, Brown Trout, Brook Trout, Lake Trout, Mountain Whitefish, and Lake Whitefish.
I know we have several guys on this thread that target trout so I am hopeful y’all can help this poor pathetic n00b. 

PS any tips on how to not get mauled by bears would be appreciated as well. 

It ain’t like sight casting reds.  I’ve learned that much.

Be prepared to get your rig stuck in a tree, a shoreside willow, a submerged bush, on a rock, and then in the willow again.  Then be prepared to generally not even know when a fish takes the fly.

Best thing I can say is get a guide for your first time on a River.  It’s a whole different world of mending, eggs, droppers and microscopic flies.  And it is awesome.  Those River fish fight like hell and will break your fly off quickly.

On the bears - read up on what not to do here.

https://huntershield.com/case-closed-in-case-of-wyoming-hunting-guide-killed-by-grizzly-bear/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Thanks a ton!

This is a backpacking trip and mostly hitting small streams and alpine-ish lakes in my free time so likely not going to be on a river proper (although fishing the Bow River will definitely happen at some point in the future if not this trip).

any actual fish caught will be a total bonus,  but it would be a very cool experience if I can luck into one or two. 

On 5/28/2022 at 8:39 AM, hookemATL said:

All yous fly fisherman:

If you are new to fly fishing, start practicing right now, find yourself a quiet small pond or creek.

I recently and briefly tried to teach my kid how to fly fish for perch and small bass along Shoal Creek here in Austin.  Lots of obstacles - small pools of water at times, trees, weeds, etc.  Good practice, but he's not ready for it just yet.

As far as bears, I would pick up some kind of bear spray.  If a bear comes along, and you have another person or persons along with you (that you're not close to), you can spray the other person(s) with the bear spray, and they'll make so much racket/noise that it'll distract the bear long enough for you to get away.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Anybody got tips on where to fish without a boat in/near Rockport?  Wife and I heading down there in a few weeks.

Backside of the airport on Copano Bay.  Park at the Howard Murph Memorial Park.  Then go down to the old pier.  Can wade fish on the south side of the pier.  A couple of buddies went last weekend a d caught some nice trout.  Watch out for the big alligator that lives in the drainage ditch.

Screenshot_20220529-225047_Gallery.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

Anybody got tips on where to fish without a boat in/near Rockport?  Wife and I heading down there in a few weeks.
Goose Island State Park pier. Half way down the pier is a set of steps down to the water. You can wade a ways out. Fish the guts, especially the one you can't cross.

Also, continue on past the entrance to GISP and the road and runs curves and runs along St. Charles Bay. Drive all the way to where it turns again. There is easily 3/4 mile of wadeable shoreline.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 5/28/2022 at 1:13 PM, hookemATL said:

Thanks a ton!

This is a backpacking trip and mostly hitting small streams and alpine-ish lakes in my free time so likely not going to be on a river proper (although fishing the Bow River will definitely happen at some point in the future if not this trip).

any actual fish caught will be a total bonus,  but it would be a very cool experience if I can luck into one or two. 

Brohan if you're hitting up high elevation creeks in Canada (or anywhere for that matter) all you have to do is get a fly in the water and the trout will eat it. It's more about understanding where the trout hold in the water and just getting any fly that floats drifting through the water without dragging. Fly selection doesn't matter...anything size 12-16 that rides high. Just take a lot of them and bring dryshake. The biggest problem in the high country is churning through flies when the brookies are annihilating them.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Brohan if you're hitting up high elevation creeks in Canada (or anywhere for that matter) all you have to do is get a fly in the water and the trout will eat it. It's more about understanding where the trout hold in the water and just getting any fly that floats drifting through the water without dragging. Fly selection doesn't matter...anything size 12-16 that rides high. Just take a lot of them and bring dryshake. The biggest problem in the high country is churning through flies when the brookies are annihilating them.

Thanks for the tips and good to know! Never had the opportunity to target trout before so every little bit of info helps.  And noted on the dryshake (not something I have previously used/carried with my gear).

23 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

Thanks for the tips and good to know! Never had the opportunity to target trout before so every little bit of info helps.  And noted on the dryshake (not something I have previously used/carried with my gear).

Dry shake, a little hand rag and a baseball cap you can stick them to the bill and air dry them. 

If the creek is small enough you can just start walking up it and you will start spooking the fish. You can take mental note of where they are darting off from and start to pick up on where they hang out (where fast water meets slow, bonus if there is any depth in the slow).

• Hook 'Em 1

Wild high elevation trout have such a short feeding season they usually slam anything you set on the water. I can definitely attest to that. 

Usually they’re not too big (10” max) for the same reason. 
Dumb, young and full of fun.

I always carry a Tenkara or 3 weight travel rod on backpacking trips with a small box of dry flies
Usually pays off, the one time I don't bother I regret it with a high alpine lake or stream with constant rises and starving dumb fish. That's much worse than carrying gear I don't use because it's too dry or Intel was off.
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 5/31/2022 at 7:58 AM, Johnny Chimpo said:

Wild high elevation trout have such a short feeding season they usually slam anything you set on the water. I can definitely attest to that. 

Usually they’re not too big (10” max) for the same reason. 

What sort of elevation are we talking? Unless the water freezes solid, the fish are feeding year round.

There might not be insects to skim off the top, but there are always bugs in various stages of their lifecycles distributed throughout the water column.

• Hook 'Em 1

Question for you old-timers who have kept up with the times, unlike me. In my younger days I was an avid bass fisherman, and used the good ol' Ambassador 4500 series reels. I still have them and will probably fish with them again. But I was thinking about getting a modern generation reel. I have no idea what's good now. How does the new stuff compare to the stuff I an accustomed to? 

I was looking at the Garcia Max stuff, Lew's and H20 at Academy. I have Abu Garcia bias for sure, but the stuff is all made in China now, tiny spools and the goofy thumb bar which I always hated. But I guess it would be good to get a newer rig and get used to it. 

54 minutes ago, DougO said:

Question for you old-timers who have kept up with the times, unlike me. In my younger days I was an avid bass fisherman, and used the good ol' Ambassador 4500 series reels. I still have them and will probably fish with them again. But I was thinking about getting a modern generation reel. I have no idea what's good now. How does the new stuff compare to the stuff I an accustomed to? 

I was looking at the Garcia Max stuff, Lew's and H20 at Academy. I have Abu Garcia bias for sure, but the stuff is all made in China now, tiny spools and the goofy thumb bar which I always hated. But I guess it would be good to get a newer rig and get used to it. 

Lews or Shimano. 

Never had a Lew's reel, but loved the rods. I developed anti-Shimano bias because I had a few and they would always go to shit in a fairly short time, and weren't as easy to maintenance. I can tear down and old Ambassadeur and tune it up any time it is really needed.

9 minutes ago, DougO said:

Never had a Lew's reel, but loved the rods. I developed anti-Shimano bias because I had a few and they would always go to shit in a fairly short time, and weren't as easy to maintenance. I can tear down and old Ambassadeur and tune it up any time it is really needed.

I don’t know what you consider go to shit but if you are fishing a Chronarch or higher, it shouldn’t go to shit. I still keep one from ‘00 as a backup, and it’s entire life has been in salt. Surf fishing, bay fishing, hell I’ve caught dorado with it.  Same goes for that vintage Calcutta’s.   I’ve got some of the cheaper Lews, ~$200-ish, and they are ok. I use them specially for the 2-3 bass tournaments I go to and that’s it.  I’ve got friends that use the high end Lews stuff in salt and they like them, but I haven’t had need for a new reel in awhile.  I typically go 15 years on a chronarch/core then it goes to backup duty and replaced with newest version.  None of them will be mistaken for a 4500 ambassador.  If you like that style, try a Calcutta. 

eta: 99.9% of it is not dunking your reel, and lightly rinsing after every trip.  When I took my 50MG to have a full breakdown sonic clean they replaced something like $5 in parts.  Put a reel cover on when crossing choppy water, etc.  

Edited by fattyflattie

I don’t know what you consider go to shit but if you are fishing a Chronarch or higher, it shouldn’t go to shit. I still keep one from ‘00 as a backup, and it’s entire life has been in salt. Surf fishing, bay fishing, hell I’ve caught dorado with it.  Same goes for that vintage Calcutta’s.   I’ve got some of the cheaper Lews, ~$200-ish, and they are ok. I use them specially for the 2-3 bass tournaments I go to and that’s it.  I’ve got friends that use the high end Lews stuff in salt and they like them, but I haven’t had need for a new reel in awhile.  I typically go 15 years on a chronarch/core then it goes to backup duty and replaced with newest version.  None of them will be mistaken for a 4500 ambassador.  If you like that style, try a Calcutta. 

eta: 99.9% of it is not dunking your reel, and lightly rinsing after every trip.  When I took my 50MG to have a full breakdown sonic clean they replaced something like $5 in parts.  Put a reel cover on when crossing choppy water, etc.  
I haven't owned a chronarch, but I love my 13 fishing concept C except that its white and is starting to look beat to shit.

Regarding Lew's, which models do your saltwater friends prefer?

The only one I have is a museum peice that is actually a Browning designed by Lewis Childre.

4 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Regarding Lew's, which models do your saltwater friends prefer?

Hypermags and Custom Lites.  Most of them are guys that loved their MG50’s/cores and didnt care for the Metanium or Alderbaran.    I’ll say this, the Lews spools are considerably louder, but they are as smooth or smoother than any shimano I’ve had.  

5 hours ago, Lat22 said:

Anybody ever fished offshore out of Nassau? Looking for charter recs. We’ll be down there next month and I’d like to get out on a boat. Thanks. 

I’ve never heard anything good about the fishing in Nassau.

2 hours ago, LebongJames said:

Going this weekend to Venice, La. Going offshore on Saturday and Bay fishing on Sunday. Really want to catch some tuna and red snapper. Would kill for one of those up thread.

There might be bluefin around still but I doubt it. Season is over though so if you did catch one you’d have a really, really long fight and then have to let it go. Good luck on the yellowfins.

• Hook 'Em 2

I'm thinking I may buy an affordable on sale baitcasting reel and a two-piece rod to keep in the car/truck. I never used 2-piece casting rods but it's just more practical, and I don't want to risk my more vintage stuff getting busted or stolen. Any recommendations on a decent two-piece casting rod for portable pond jumping and spontaneous fishing when I'm out and about?

My youngest wanted to go out and chum for some mankillers on Sunday.  Nothing big but a couple of small twin blacktips kept him busy.  Those little bastards are so hard to tire out I hate to image latching on to a couple hundred pounder.  Makes my back ache just thinking about it.

F56A3039-F1E3-43CB-BAD8-9E0268006A22.jpeg

73221CC7-DB18-4373-878E-F40EDD9F3A27.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

About to board a flight to Juneau for a week to some fishing and relax where it’s not 100 and damn 5. We will probably do some inside waters fishing close by and also head out to the west coast of Chichigof and Yakobi Islands to wreck some big kings and halibut.  I’ve been so excited I had to channel my energy into tying leaders.  Should have some blood on the decks by tomorrow afternoon’s low tide.  

2F4FA273-26D9-4559-8880-6F8D2910951F.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

On 6/6/2022 at 5:13 PM, DougO said:

I'm thinking I may buy an affordable on sale baitcasting reel and a two-piece rod to keep in the car/truck. I never used 2-piece casting rods but it's just more practical, and I don't want to risk my more vintage stuff getting busted or stolen. Any recommendations on a decent two-piece casting rod for portable pond jumping and spontaneous fishing when I'm out and about?

After a quick look at Dick’s/Academy/Bass Pro, other than a bunch of combos at BassPro (which are essentially a Bass Pro brand 2-piece rod with a decent Abu/Diawa/Lew’s/Shimano reel) this was the only combo that I saw with a 2-piece rod:

https://www.academy.com/p/kastking-7-ft-mh-freshwater-casting-rod-and-reel-combo?sku=7-right-medium-heavy-fast-6-5-1

…and it’s currently on sale.  I haven’t ever fished a Kast King, but my brother’s FIL has one and he seems to like his.

If you want to put together a combo on your own, an Ugly Stick is really the only 2-piece rod that I saw other than the Bass Pro rod mentioned above.

As for a reels to pair with it, Abu used to make a decent low-end reel (Black Max) but doesn’t look like they make it any longer.  It looks like the replacement is the Abu Max X.  It appears to have decent reviews.  Lew’s makes a few sub-$100 reels (Speed Spool series) that I have heard good things about.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DeathTongue said:

After a quick look at Dick’s/Academy/Bass Pro, other than a bunch of combos at BassPro (which are essentially a Bass Pro brand 2-piece rod with a decent Abu/Diawa/Lew’s/Shimano reel) this was the only combo that I saw with a 2-piece rod:

https://www.academy.com/p/kastking-7-ft-mh-freshwater-casting-rod-and-reel-combo?sku=7-right-medium-heavy-fast-6-5-1

…and it’s currently on sale.  I haven’t ever fished a Kast King, but my brother’s FIL has one and he seems to like his.

If you want to put together a combo on your own, an Ugly Stick is really the only 2-piece rod that I saw other than the Bass Pro rod mentioned above.

As for a reels to pair with it, Abu used to make a decent low-end reel (Black Max) but doesn’t look like they make it any longer.  It looks like the replacement is the Abu Max X.  It appears to have decent reviews.  Lew’s makes a few sub-$100 reels (Speed Spool series) that I have heard good things about.

Thanks, I've been looking at the Max series, and probably will decide between the X and Pro. You can still get the older Black Max at Wal Mart for a few bucks cheaper than Academy has the X on sale. I'll probably get a lightnin' rod or Lew's Hank Parker to pair when I know I'm going fishing and can stash it over the seat.

I might take look at those two-piece rods you mentioned for a perma-stash car rod, but I haven't seen much around, though local options aren't great.