Fishing Megathread: Looking For Big Girls Who swallow

Mac8111

I'm thinking I may buy an affordable on sale baitcasting reel and a two-piece rod to keep in the car/truck. I never used 2-piece casting rods but it's just more practical, and I don't want to risk my more vintage stuff getting busted or stolen. Any recommendations on a decent two-piece casting rod for portable pond jumping and spontaneous fishing when I'm out and about?
Take a look at Temple Fork Outfitters. I primarily fly fish and they make reasonably-priced, good rods. They also make conventional rods. I have two, three-piece spinning rods that have served me well from the Texas coast to Canada. I suspect they have decent travel baitcast rods as well.

They're headquartered in the metroplex, have great warranty, and great customer service.
  • Like 1

Slow afternoon of trolling, but caught a few tom cod for crab bait and one little 18”, 2 lb king salmon. It’s a terminal fishing so no 28” minimum, and it’s going to be damn good grilled tonight. Doing one side with salt and black pepper, one side with dill and white pepper. 

295CC055-6FB5-426F-B37D-8B4D4290E854.jpeg

04F4CDE6-E45F-4E9B-AB83-784EF5A3AC15.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Take a look at Temple Fork Outfitters. I primarily fly fish and they make reasonably-priced, good rods. They also make conventional rods. I have two, three-piece spinning rods that have served me well from the Texas coast to Canada. I suspect they have decent travel baitcast rods as well.

They're headquartered in the metroplex, have great warranty, and great customer service.

Can't say enough about TFO customer service. I've showed up at their office in Dallas with a broken 10wt and walked out of there 10 minutes and $20 dollars later with a new rod. I've also ordered a replacement tip section for a different rod from them and had it on my front porch in 2 days. When I broke my $1,000 Scott Meridian it took me 6 weeks and $150 to get it back. 

• Hook 'Em 4

^^^

I just broke a section on my Scott G 5wt, and we're leaving for Colorado in 4 weeks. /facepalm

I'm thinking about a TFO for the meantime and to mix in for the rest of the family when I get it back.  Any recommendations on something similar to that in the TFO family?  Pro, Signature?

It may come down to what I can find in stock at this point.  Everything sucks.

40 minutes ago, Damor said:

^^^

I just broke a section on my Scott G 5wt, and we're leaving for Colorado in 4 weeks. /facepalm

I'm thinking about a TFO for the meantime and to mix in for the rest of the family when I get it back.  Any recommendations on something similar to that in the TFO family?  Pro, Signature?

It may come down to what I can find in stock at this point.  Everything sucks.

See if you can find an LK Legacy in 5wt. That's what I use for trout. It's one of their premium models. I think it was around $300

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Is the TFO office in Dallas a service center, or do they have a showroom?

No show room...at least they didn't pre-covid. It's a pretty nondescript office park space with a warehouse in back. I walked right in to a cube farm, and the lady closest to the door looked up and asked if she could help me. 

On 6/8/2022 at 11:17 AM, DeathTongue said:

After a quick look at Dick’s/Academy/Bass Pro, other than a bunch of combos at BassPro (which are essentially a Bass Pro brand 2-piece rod with a decent Abu/Diawa/Lew’s/Shimano reel) this was the only combo that I saw with a 2-piece rod:

https://www.academy.com/p/kastking-7-ft-mh-freshwater-casting-rod-and-reel-combo?sku=7-right-medium-heavy-fast-6-5-1

…and it’s currently on sale.  I haven’t ever fished a Kast King, but my brother’s FIL has one and he seems to like his.

If you want to put together a combo on your own, an Ugly Stick is really the only 2-piece rod that I saw other than the Bass Pro rod mentioned above.

As for a reels to pair with it, Abu used to make a decent low-end reel (Black Max) but doesn’t look like they make it any longer.  It looks like the replacement is the Abu Max X.  It appears to have decent reviews.  Lew’s makes a few sub-$100 reels (Speed Spool series) that I have heard good things about.

Thanks, I've been looking at the Max series, and probably will decide between the X and Pro. You can still get the older Black Max at Wal Mart for a few bucks cheaper than Academy has the X on sale. I'll probably get a lightnin' rod or Lew's Hank Parker to pair when I know I'm going fishing and can stash it over the seat.

I might take look at those two-piece rods you mentioned for a perma-stash car rod, but I haven't seen much around, though local options aren't great.

I picked up a Lew's "Hank Parker" 6-10" baitcasting rod today at the local Walmart for $24! It was on a sale rack at the end of the aisle, both baitcast and spinning versions, the older model that is being cleared out. That's a little less than half the price of the newer model that's on the regular sales rack. Nice feeling rod, the only difference is the color and the EVA foam type grip, which I prefer, to the cork handles on the newer models. So if you need a cheap rod for an extra/back up or occasional rod, check your local store. That's the price range I was buying decent rods for back when I was fishing a lot back in the olden days. 

Edited by DougO

Mississippi Gulf Coast tournament was this weekend. Same boat won again for the third time in a row. They are doing something right. 763 pound blue and won over 600,000 dollars. Port A boat was 3rd in catch and release but won all the money because the boats that beat them weren’t in the big money pots. They won about 160,000.

CF21530E-9864-4ACE-94B4-0CDFF3D00F52.jpeg

D5C5D1D2-1E1E-44B8-831A-D9EC18A1A18C.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

On 6/13/2022 at 11:19 PM, fattyflattie said:

I do but it’s never at my ramp. 

There was a time last year when he had a story up from Lake Travis (surf boat on the rocks) and Auke Bay, AK (#damnrollers incident) which hit incredibly close to home for me. Every time I launch at a public ramp I’m double checking everything twice to make sure I don’t end up on the QC, so I guess that’s a service in a way. 

I’ve stated before, I do most of the trailer backing and my wife or kids pull it off or on the trailer. I’m terrified of a parking brake not working, etc and dumping the whole thing in the lake. I go so far as to chock the driver front tire with a 4x6 when I leave the truck seat. It’s got a rope on it and I can retrieve as I pull up the ramp.

#teamnoboatrampfolies

I’ve stated before, I do most of the trailer backing and my wife or kids pull it off or on the trailer. I’m terrified of a parking brake not working, etc and dumping the whole thing in the lake. I go so far as to chock the driver front tire with a 4x6 when I leave the truck seat. It’s got a rope on it and I can retrieve as I pull up the ramp.

#teamnoboatrampfolies

9 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Psa: Picked up a few Concept C reels at Academy today, expected to pay $230 ea but they rang up at $184, apparently 20% off for fathers day. I think the discount applies to all reels.

Academy is weird about not advertising sales inside the store, or sometimes even in the weekly flier. You gotta check online and dig through their clumsy menu to see current sale prices of what you are looking for. I'll probably pick up another reel this weekend that's on sale cheaper than it was on sale the week before, but you would never know it from walking into the store and looking at the item, marked at regular price and no tags saying otherwise.

31 minutes ago, Mac8111 said:

So I have a customer who wants to go “spear fishing for Grouper “. Anyone have any experience with this on the TX coast ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would pay good money to watch him try to keep a decent sized one out of an oil rig. It’s hard enough using a boat to winch one out on 80 pound tackle. I don’t know anyone out of Port A that spear fish charters. You might try Freeport or South Padre and I doubt grouper is a target species.

51 minutes ago, Mac8111 said:

So I have a customer who wants to go “spear fishing for Grouper “. Anyone have any experience with this on the TX coast ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did find this from on old link on 2coolfishing. This looks to be the best bet by far if they are still in business.

http://www.texasbluewatersafaris.com/

48 minutes ago, justhookit said:

I would pay good money to watch him try to keep a decent sized one out of an oil rig. It’s hard enough using a boat to winch one out on 80 pound tackle. I don’t know anyone out of Port A that spear fish charters. You might try Freeport or South Padre and I doubt grouper is a target species.

I invited him to go fishing with the plan of getting a nice house in Port A and do some bay fishing for a couple of days and then he came back to me a week later with Spearfishing.  I saw the website you posted below and found another one in South Padre that I will contact as well.  I will keep you guys updated on the progress of this adventure.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Zwylde said:

3 sharks on 4 cuts of skipjack in about 45 minutes.  I forgot to load my damn drink cooler so I didn’t stay long.  Another beauty day at the jetties and beyond though.  

4C6FD472-E09C-4400-94D4-9D496E6F4C13.jpeg

43E99CBA-7CED-4538-BD88-D5E9CBFAB731.jpeg

DA365238-139A-4FCE-AFDC-5A1BED8D3A02.jpeg

Good stuff.  Love the jetties.  I'll be down tomorrow.

So since my father died I’ve fished alone a few times in quiet homage and meditation about our shared respite.

I’m now taking civilians like both my FIL’s fishing. I can’t believe it but I’m going to go buy a few Zebco 808s later. Or I’m going to have to teach them how to use other equipment.

Also, and I haven’t taken stock yet, but I’m going to have to go through the fly rod and reel inventory at Dads house. I estimate a dozen or so Sage rods in every imaginable weight. He was always flying somewhere remote to throw flies at Tarpon.

I may be shifting to flies, and I may be begging Pescado’s son for a guys weekend soon so he can school me.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

would love to hear what sage sticks you discover @BearSchlong...there's some vintage sage stuff that the gearheads drool over.

speaking of tarpon on fly...had a 70 pounder eat my fly in about 3 feet of water 20 feet off the boat last week. trout set that bitch like a boss. my brain can't handle a fish that big eating a fly in such shallow water. it all happens in slow motion and my brain explodes.

• Like 4

Just finished reading Lords of the Fly, pretty sure it was recommended by some asshole on this thread:

410RCMGO1xL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Awesome read.  I'm still resisting getting into saltwater fly fishing because I love my wife, family, and financial solvency too much at this point.

That said, Backcountry tempted me with 20% off on a LK Legacy 5wt, so I figured I'll use that as a slightly faster substitute until my Scott G gets repaired.  I can justify that as my windy conditions rod, of course.

@BearSchlong... Pics.  Rules, man.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, midtown said:
21 hours ago, texastough said:
Mmmm, ciguatera

Lol. No you can eat then. Very good

Yup. They are slimy as hell and stink, but damn if you prepare them right they are really good. One of the best restaurants here, Venetian, had it as a special years ago. The waitress was a friend of mine and told me she’d buy my meal if I didn’t like it. Was really good.

Just finished reading Lords of the Fly, pretty sure it was recommended by some asshole on this thread:

410RCMGO1xL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Awesome read.  I'm still resisting getting into saltwater fly fishing because I love my wife, family, and financial solvency too much at this point.

That said, Backcountry tempted me with 20% off on a LK Legacy 5wt, so I figured I'll use that as a slightly faster substitute until my Scott G gets repaired.  I can justify that as my windy conditions rod, of course.

[mention=398]BearSchlong[/mention]... Pics.  Rules, man.

Wait, what are you using that 5wt for? You started off talking tarpon. And then you’re waiting on a Scott repair. I need to know what you’re fishing where!

18 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

i don't think so but yeah, cuda is delicious...ceviche, grilled steaks, they're excellent eats.

was just commenting on the size...

No doubt on the small size.  The tide was out so lots of smaller fish that day.   I've caught lots of 3 footers out here.  Smaller are better to eat but the biguns are crazy fun to catch.

Edited by midtown