Fishing Megathread: Looking For Big Girls Who swallow

Mac8111

34 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Trying to salt it up a bit in here.

4e1ed5638cf0e7eaa247dc37576056ab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello POC. Nice what did it weigh? And it was wrapped up’s fish? Dragging Up has a fish about 1.5 feet bigger in the boat. They aren’t weighing until tomorrow so I’m assuming they are somewhere in Louisiana. That was My captain is in 2nd place on Instigator for release and overall. He’s not running the boat just fishing with the guys. Looks like they lost the daily in the last hour and honestly there’s not much money there I think it was around 15,000. At any rate they are in good shape for tomorrow. Fishing sucked. They win tomorrow it looks like 175,000 payout. Currently it’s 56,000 for 2nd.

Can’t emphasize enough how bad the fishing is/was. As of about 10 this morning there were 6 or 7 blue marlin caught. Maybe 6 or 7 whites and sails. At end of day 27 total billfish. 40ish boats are fishing. Most boats will move back inshore tomorrow so there will be more sails and whites caught.

3 hours ago, Mac8111 said:

How long of a run are we talking to be fishing off LA and make the run to POC for weigh in?

POC to LA, then back…

Several of those boats are running 3-4k gallon tanks, plus barrels on the bow. Never really understood why the barrels over a bladder @justhookit?

3 hours ago, Mac8111 said:

How long of a run are we talking to be fishing off LA and make the run to POC for weigh in?

13 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

POC to LA, then back…

Several of those boats are running 3-4k gallon tanks, plus barrels on the bow. Never really understood why the barrels over a bladder @justhookit?

We did 4 or 5 years ago for this same tournament and if I remember right it was just under 600 miles round trip. It sucks to do 30 knots in the gulf chop. You don’t sleep.

We used bladders and most of the big boats do too. I’ve mainly seen the barrels on center consoles. I think the idea is they get out there and take up less space and sink them after they are emptied?

34 minutes ago, justhookit said:

We used bladders and most of the big boats do too. I’ve mainly seen the barrels on center consoles. I think the idea is they get out there and take up less space and sink them after they are emptied?

No compromise (#1) had 10+ barrels on the bow for several years. Don’t know if he’s still doing it with the new one, or only when they plan to hit La. A few others did too for a couple of years. Could have been on heavy La years, I don’t recall. I admittedly only kept up with the SFs that fueled up at the Fishing center.  But it always made me lol because what compliments an 80’ Viking better than a bunch of food grade barrels on the bow? I assumed the bladder would be in the way if they got into a fish early and maybe that’s why.  Only CC I know personally (Marlin Magic) didn’t mess with them, that I can recall. 

Brushy creek wasn’t as good  tonight, but that should be expected no rain and hotter and last week it had just rained and it was only in the 90s, still hooked some fighters, caught about 4 I think and lost 3 small mouth. One I got to cute when I had him on the line for a good while and I tried to get him to the reel to check out the reel action. Oh well.  Great place to practice precision casting. Almost august and fish still biting? I’ll take it.

small mouth seemed to like top water tonight my flies sucked storms aren’t open Sunday but they struck hard. I need to work on my bass hook set with top water and poppers. Streamers are easy just like a red. 

3wt is where it’s at. Can’t wait to take that lil bitch to Colorado secured a month on the roaring fork west of aspen/basalt before Carbondale for July 2023 fuck everyone I’m going fishing in 70 degree weather every fucking day, even my wife is gonna have to deal.  Gonna end up the old lady who only likes dogs and fish - and maybe people who like to fish when I’m old you watch.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Finally got to go check out my Dad's new bay boat. We fished Sabine Lake Friday morning.

Good news: Conditions were as good as you could hope for, no wind whatsoever, water was good color and flat as glass, clouds kept the temps down around 80. Caught probably 2 dozen fish over the course of the morning.

Bad news: Only 2 of those fish were keeper trout (~16 inches). Rest were small trout, big slimy hardheads, and god knows how many bait-thieving ladyfish.

I've had a pretty bad run the past few years. It's been at least 3 years since I can recall a day of catching limits. Most of my last dozen or so fishing trips have been about like yesterday.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Where at Sabine? What baits?

Launched at the pleasure island RV Park. Drifted along the north revetment wall and then later moved to fish over the reef near the sunken barge at the south side of the lake. Same results at both spots.

Mostly live shrimp under corks but also throwing some rootbeer/chartreuse tail soft plastics.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 11:17 PM, fattyflattie said:

Trying to salt it up a bit in here.

4e1ed5638cf0e7eaa247dc37576056ab.jpg

Forgot the Lone Star Shootout was this past weekend. I miss the old POCO days, hanging out drinking in the hot ass sun, waiting for that rumored 1K pounder that'd never come in. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/24/2022 at 8:58 PM, troph said:

Brushy creek wasn’t as good  tonight, but that should be expected no rain and hotter and last week it had just rained and it was only in the 90s, still hooked some fighters, caught about 4 I think and lost 3 small mouth. One I got to cute when I had him on the line for a good while and I tried to get him to the reel to check out the reel action. Oh well.  Great place to practice precision casting. Almost august and fish still biting? I’ll take it.

small mouth seemed to like top water tonight my flies sucked storms aren’t open Sunday but they struck hard. I need to work on my bass hook set with top water and poppers. Streamers are easy just like a red. 

3wt is where it’s at. Can’t wait to take that lil bitch to Colorado secured a month on the roaring fork west of aspen/basalt before Carbondale for July 2023 fuck everyone I’m going fishing in 70 degree weather every fucking day, even my wife is gonna have to deal.  Gonna end up the old lady who only likes dogs and fish - and maybe people who like to fish when I’m old you watch.

I didn't get out to fish this past weekend.  I did check out a few spots on Brushy Creek west of Round Rock and the creek seemed pretty shallow and didn't seem to be moving much.  Tied up a few flies last night to use whenever I get out there.  Maybe one morning this weekend.

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

I didn't get out to fish this past weekend.  I did check out a few spots on Brushy Creek west of Round Rock and the creek seemed pretty shallow and didn't seem to be moving much.  Tied up a few flies last night to use whenever I get out there.  Maybe one morning this weekend.

I suspect the season is almost over there. I won't likely go again until October or a rain event.

That's not gonna suck...
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I'm about to send @troph into an incurable case of wanderlust. 

in a heart beat, even with some of you assholes.  would prefer to have locals who know the fishing but man I'd love at least partial command of that cat. would want some scuba too. did that in the BVIs but without as much wild and we only trolled one day. more scuba and beach bumming.  to take sailing, scuba and fly fishing and put it all together. that's pinnacle shit.  skiffs on the back end instead of dinghies? omg.  and btw they say no one cared about anything but the permit.  that's how you know they are aren't in the south pacific. GT holla.  that's a 14 day excursion *at least* imo.  LET'S GOOOO!!!!

Edited by troph

11 hours ago, davidg said:

Nice video.  Could have been nicer if they would have actually shown at least one full presentation, hook and land all the way through instead of 5 sec music video style jump cuts.

Yeah but who cares about the video - you know that trip would be fucking epic.

• Hook 'Em 1

Down at the beach with the family (Surfside). Every few years, we get this weather pattern (high parked over us, strong onshore wind, surf is a churning muddy mess). My daughter and I love to hit the surf for trout. It’s worthless this week. Hell, even going out there and tossing bait, there ain’t shit. We even tried to fish the intracoastal off some flats that are usually productive this morning (protected from the wind and churn)…nada.
Really kinda sucks, fishing is usually a big part of our routine when we’re down here, but not this time.

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Down at the beach with the family (Surfside). Every few years, we get this weather pattern (high parked over us, strong onshore wind, surf is a churning muddy mess). My daughter and I love to hit the surf for trout. It’s worthless this week. Hell, even going out there and tossing bait, there ain’t shit. We even tried to fish the intracoastal off some flats that are usually productive this morning (protected from the wind and churn)…nada.
Really kinda sucks, fishing is usually a big part of our routine when we’re down here, but not this time.

Have you tried the Surfside jetties? The channel sides of either the north or south jetty should have some fish willing to eat live or fresh dead shrimp and depending on how hard the wind is blowing, you might even have some fishable water on the gulf side of the north jetty.  Another idea is the back side of the island just west of San Luis Pass...not my home territory and I haven't been back there in years, but I have caught a bunch of fish back there multiple times wading and throwing soft plastics (and spoons way back when).  I used to drive across the bridge from Surfside, find an adequate road on the left just after you cross the bridge, park and start fishing.  

south of austin on the colorado --- where's decent wade fishing if any?  map below to make the discussion easier. 

been seeing some larger bass on insta though these guys are all on float trips, thinking about a late evening attempt for some lousiana saturday night outdoor fun (hello mel mcdaniel how did you pop into my head), as misguided as that might seem. 

map showing river access points

Headed back home from Colorado, which is always a melancholy drive.
Didn't have a lot of luck on the Gunny, but had a lot of fun. My younger caught another cutbow and I managed some humble but fun browns.
460896234_PXL_20220725_1640557563.thumb.jpg.16275ac62ab3231136317f95e7d50e54.jpg
258493319_PXL_20220725_1748183393.thumb.jpg.78f08f123e617f1440f82530ec0a2970.jpg
From a fishing perspective,much of the rest of the trip was limited by a strange phenomenon where droplets of water fell...out of the sky!
Also, my boys wanted to go hiking outside of Crested Butte
PXL_20220727_172924206.thumb.jpg.166b52ce627012821be752703fba714f.jpg
PXL_20220727_173113373_PANO.thumb.jpg.bd1cc01bf0dae4780fd2801f54f318ad.jpg
and they discovered biking at Hartman Rocks
PXL_20220728_001825915.thumb.jpg.5b0f7cc679df7d90061f064d7cf87d7e.jpg
and at this stage of life, as much as I love to fish poorly, whenever they ask me to take them to do something cool, the answer is always "Yes." 
Gunny is underrated, for sure.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Have a question about spinning reels maybe someone here can answer.

I fish inshore and use baitcasters exclusively, but am looking to get my son a (better) spinning reel for his birthday (will be 10). He can throw the baitcasters a little bit, but it's for sure less frustrating for him to throw a spinning, especially since he's throwing lures more these days. My question is about braid vs. mono. I use braid on all of my casters, but he has mono on the spinning reel he's been using and it just tangles up WAY too much. I've read that braid might tangle less on a spinning vs mono, but wanted to see if any of you guys had any personal experience with that?

Edited by UncleBuck

35 minutes ago, Masshole Horn said:

I use braid to flouro on my spinning reels. I like it and they don't tangle for me. I think 10 is a good age for braid.

My son at 6 spent so much time playing around the house with his spinning reel that I had to refill it about once a month for a while. So, I used 8# trilene big game.

Appreciate the reply. I go braid to flouro leader on my baitcasters already, and that's the plan for the spinning. 

Another question I just thought of: do you back up the braid with anything? A layer of mono, or maybe electrical tape?

Thanks

Edited by UncleBuck

1 hour ago, UncleBuck said:

Appreciate the reply. I go braid to flouro leader on my baitcasters already, and that's the plan for the spinning. 

Another question I just thought of: do you back up the braid with anything? A layer of mono, or maybe electrical tape?

Thanks

I use a small bit of duct or electrical tape generally. I've also used dacron flyline backing when I didn't want to spool up 300yds on a surf reel, but I like the tape on light reels.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

I fish inshore and use baitcasters exclusively, but am looking to get my son a (better) spinning reel for his birthday (will be 10). He can throw the baitcasters a little bit, but it's for sure less frustrating for him to throw a spinning, especially since he's throwing lures more these days. My question is about braid vs. mono. I use braid on all of my casters, but he has mono on the spinning reel he's been using and it just tangles up WAY too much. I've read that braid might tangle less on a spinning vs mono, but wanted to see if any of you guys had any personal experience with that?

A Calcutta DC will just about eliminate backlashes, even for a novice.  Life is too short to fish with an eggbeater.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

He can get a $400-$500 reel when he gets a job in six years lol. 

Lol, I fat fingered that an actually meant a Curado DC.   Those are about $250 and I even think there's a new DC model that's closer to $200.  Only have experience with the Curado version and you can get just about anyone casting well really quick with it.  

If you are still thinking spinning reel, change out the mono as a first step,.  Make sure to wind on the new mono in the correct direction or it will definitely tangle like crazy.  Best way is by removing the spool and using a winder so that it goes on like a conventional reel. 

If that doesn't work and you want to get him a new reel, I like the Stradic and Spheros in the 2500-4000 sizes.   

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

The spinning reel is my go to for throwing a popping cork.  I have tried to throw the cork with a bait caster,  but being in a kayak, half drunk, and fighting the wind and the wonky cork set up was always too frustrating.  I obviously don't need any kind of flouro for the connection, so I just tie the braid straight to a quick connect and clip on the cork set up...but I digress.  A spinning reel in the $30-$50 range is just fine for him as a present at this age.  I have a couple in that price range that have served me well so I can spend my money on my top water bait casters.  I back the spinners with mono connected with an Alberto knot. 12lb mono to 20lb braid with 6-8 twists.  Much better than mono.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

The spinning reel is my go to for throwing a popping cork.  I have tried to throw the cork with a bait caster,  but being in a kayak, half drunk, and fighting the wind and the wonky cork set up was always too frustrating.  I obviously don't need any kind of flouro for the connection, so I just tie the braid straight to a quick connect and clip on the cork set up...but I digress.  A spinning reel in the $30-$50 range is just fine for him as a present at this age.  I have a couple in that price range that have served me well so I can spend my money on my top water bait casters.  I back the spinners with mono connected with an Alberto knot. 12lb mono to 20lb braid with 6-8 twists.  Much better than mono.

No doubt on the popping cork thing. I don't throw 'em, but The Boy's always asking about them. Have seen many who have no problem throwing a baitcaster launch a popping cork an immediately *expletive* lol. One of the applications where a spinning setup shines. 

So went with a Penn Wrath 2500. Would have liked to get him something maybe a little better but wasn't sure if I'd be able to make it to a good store before tomorrow AM. It actually has a type of rubber or silicone band on the spool that I'm guessing is meant to be used with braid, to eliminate the slippage. Cool. 

Had a nice Penn rod there, but the color didn't really match, which isn't a huge deal, but the reel has that obvious baby blue color on black, so I found the closest rod to that color, checked the guides and spine, and that was it. He'll love it. 

Thanks for the input. 

Looking to upgrade the sled.  We’re currently in a Majek 20V that we bought new around 20 years ago.  I’ve got a mess of kids and I’m looking for something a bit bigger.  I’m currently thinking about the following primarily:

Shallow Sport X3 25

SCB R24

Simmons Rev 25

Anyone have any experience with the boats listed above and or have any other similar suggestions I’m missing?  We mostly fish out of Aransas Pass, relatively close to home.  

Thanks in advance.

12 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

So went with a Penn Wrath 2500. Would have liked to get him something maybe a little better but wasn't sure if I'd be able to make it to a good store before tomorrow AM. It actually has a type of rubber or silicone band on the spool that I'm guessing is meant to be used with braid, to eliminate the slippage. Cool. 

Had a nice Penn rod there, but the color didn't really match, which isn't a huge deal, but the reel has that obvious baby blue color on black, so I found the closest rod to that color, checked the guides and spine, and that was it. He'll love it. 

Thanks for the input. 

I run all Penn spinning setups currently, have 6 of them. I backfill the spool with mono, then top it off with braid and then use a mono leader. My kids fish them also and we rarely have had any issues with the braid on them. Occasionally you’ll get a knot as the first layer of braid starts to wear so I just cut it back and keep going until the braid layer gets shorter than I want it to be.

3 hours ago, tequila said:

Looking to upgrade the sled.  We’re currently in a Majek 20V that we bought new around 20 years ago.  I’ve got a mess of kids and I’m looking for something a bit bigger.  I’m currently thinking about the following primarily:

Shallow Sport X3 25

SCB R24

Simmons Rev 25

Anyone have any experience with the boats listed above and or have any other similar suggestions I’m missing?  We mostly fish out of Aransas Pass, relatively close to home.  

Thanks in advance.

There’s a brand new (4 hours) Rev 25 for sale on FB marketplace right now. 205k. 

3 hours ago, tequila said:

Shallow Sport X3 25

SCB R24

Simmons Rev 25

Thanks in advance.

Tried to edit, ran out of time. 

There’s a brand new (4 hours) Rev 25 for sale on FB marketplace right now. 205k. 450R, bunch of speakers, white on white. 

Eta: a coworker has one of the SS SCBs in queue right now, whatever they’re calling the old Recons. He paid 138k, lightly spec’d. 

A guy I fish with regularly who’s on his 3rd or so Simmons said his next fave are the JH Outlaw. I’m not a big cat guy so can’t really speak to them. 

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Tried to edit, ran out of time. 

There’s a brand new (4 hours) Rev 25 for sale on FB marketplace right now. 205k. 450R, bunch of speakers, white on white. 

Eta: a coworker has one of the SS SCBs in queue right now, whatever they’re calling the old Recons. He paid 138k, lightly spec’d. 

A guy I fish with regularly who’s on his 3rd or so Simmons said his next fave are the JH Outlaw. I’m not a big cat guy so can’t really speak to them. 

Thanks.  Any chance you could send the FB link if you have spare time?  Just took a quick look and couldn’t find it.  Much appreciated!