Fishing Megathread: Looking For Big Girls Who swallow

Mac8111

15 hours ago, troph said:

When you start living on them the beam and length does matter just like well you know. But for moving through the water and fishing - yeah size and beam not an issue once you reach a minimum size - other factors make comfort underway. For me the issue for living on one is having enough room to have a master cabin with a walk around king bed. I don’t need all the square footage but I do need my bed space. 

This is that 65 foot cat I took a picture of the other night when the lighting was bad. That cradle at the stern is usually carrying a jet ski. It’s got outriggers and rod holders. I’ll go stick a sail up on top and then it will be perfect for you.

B52B6984-AFFF-4E94-9796-AA664FA8088A.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

I am on a carp streak. Every single weekend I get one on a lipless crankbait. Out in the pitch dark this morning, rattling that thing through the water, and *bump*. Something big takes off and I can not get it turned. I'm grabbing the end of the rod and trying to pull the line hard enough to turn it. 15  minutes later, I finally hear the damn thing splashing on the surface and just make out in the darkness that I'd hooked him through the tail. No wonder I couldn't turn him around.

It was an interesting fight, at least. 

3 hours ago, Deej said:

I am on a carp streak. Every single weekend I get one on a lipless crankbait. Out in the pitch dark this morning, rattling that thing through the water, and *bump*. Something big takes off and I can not get it turned. I'm grabbing the end of the rod and trying to pull the line hard enough to turn it. 15  minutes later, I finally hear the damn thing splashing on the surface and just make out in the darkness that I'd hooked him through the tail. No wonder I couldn't turn him around.

It was an interesting fight, at least. 

My first 30” trout was hooked in the back 1/3 near the tail, after taking a swing at a corky.  When I set the hook, I saw several other fish in the school break, and a few were reds. So I though I just had a really good red.  Then I saw that massive tail come out, and it wasn’t a reds tail, and I thought, holy shit - this may be “the one”.  I had caught plenty in the 27-28.5 slot before, and this girl was something entirely else.  So she comes in close and it was pure enjoyment and disappointment at the exact same time.  30 club and all that, but not what I figured she was found to be based off the fight. Then continued on to one of the most epic trips I’ve had for next 2 days. I need to get back down to Baffin this winter. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

One of the marlin we raised yesterday was on the left teaser and one of my mates was trying to feed it but his bait was jacked up so the fish peeled off and came for my bait on the right pitch. I hooked it and handed the rod over to a friend for her first ever marlin. I’m hoping to get this boat sold soon so told my captain “cool the last ever fish I had on this boat was a marlin” (and I didn’t miss it). I wasn’t planning on trying to hook anything else after that because I wanted it to end on that.

But, so Whenever we have about 15 minutes left in the day we take the marlin pitch bait out of the cooler and send it straight down the middle, sort of like a center teaser only we have a hook in it. Captain tells the mates 5 minutes left. A shitty song is playing (my playlist sucks) so I’m fucking around with the remote, find a Cure song and crank the volume. After about 2 minutes of that I decide that’s not the right way to end this so I’m skipping forward and land on ‘Slow Ride’. It’s the 9 minute version but hey this is probably our last trip on this boat so who cares.

Song is ending so tell the guys to reel everything in and go home. Bridge teasers are already all the way in. My first mate/second captain is reeling in the marlin pitch bait and I happen to be watching and it absolutely gets destroyed. 3 of us on the bridge all see it happen and think it’s another marlin. Mate tries to get it in free spool and the fish nails it again going away. Massive backlash. But it’s hooked. So now you can’t go forward without breaking it off so the boat is full throttle in reverse. I run down off the bridge to help clear lines, grab the left short and it pops out of the clip the second I pick it up. Oh fuck, now I’m getting bit and we are in reverse which is no bueno to hook a fish. So I start reeling as fast as I can.

The other fish we already have hooked jumps and damn it’s a sail but ok let’s get it and also I now know I’m 99% getting another sail bite. We are still full throttle in reverse and the leader is up out of the water. I have no idea what the mates are doing but I’ve got a rod in one hand getting bit and the leader in the other hand trying to keep the fish from going into the right teaser that’s still dangling from the outrigger. Get the release as my captain is spinning the boat and he immediately goes forward and holy shit I’m still hooked up. Get the second fish quick for our first double of the day. For sure one of the most memorable events ever on the boat.

Also unless you are familiar with bait and switch billfishing you probably won’t understand any of that. Hopefully someone got it on video.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

On 8/30/2022 at 10:04 AM, Ojo Rojo said:

Goddammit. I REALLY want that Maverick.  Dropped the price to $56,500 today.  I'm not quite ready, but I don't know that I can afford to wait.

@Ojo Rojo Nice Gordon Waterman on Microskiff. I know the previous owner of this skiff, and it was maintained with an open checkbook prior to 2018 when this guy bought it. Tom Gordon was the shop manager for Hell's Bay in the early days. When the original ownership sold out, Tom bought the Waterman molds and went into business for himself. This 16' Waterman is identical to the Hell's Bay Whipray, and Hell's Bay service department will work on them just like if they were HBs. There's a longer story there, but that's the short version. HB nerds consider Gordon's to be equal or better than most vintages of the Whipray. 

https://www.microskiff.com/threads/2007-gordon-waterman-16-tunnel.105042/

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/19/2022 at 8:32 AM, tequila said:

Here’s a few pics:

3b4dcf88e43d35722be42f289089853f.jpg
cc191c69c2945b778aee0c7fcab37053.jpg
8862ac9e5004561f31859a744578ff20.jpg
2ce831a351935da58a8201010c0b28ac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks for the invite, I can't wait to go out with you !

On 9/12/2022 at 7:03 PM, Mac8111 said:

Was in POC this weekend hosting a large group for “work”

Thurs we hit the jetties and it was a bust. One keeper red. Couple mangrove snapper. Couple sharks. 5000 world class skip jacks. I’ve never caught so many.

Thurs night we went flounder gigging. Started slow and then it picked up around 10:30pm. Ended up with a limit of 20 and was back at the dock at midnight.

The reports from Friday was that the surf was flat and so errrrrvbody and their mother was in the surf on Sat morning. We caught limit of redfish in the first gut pretty easy. Largest was 30”. Only two undersized. Couldn’t find a trout though. Full moon might have had something to do with that I guess. All of our guided boats crushed it.

Pan seared some flounder tonight with a white wine Lemon butter sauce. The old man just sent me a pic of him about to throw two whole flounder in the oven.

We will be back in two weeks to do it all over again.

1a8972cf7c46c28cae909df76c929287.jpeg

b83ad4671b7cf75002d3c430ef8ef838.jpeg

906783e0c57587bc71d8f3709019133c.jpg

bca02fad943496e7e0f95e36438c7063.jpg

729b17db346b6fda1c4825124f783bec.jpg

thanks for the invite !

Edited by tx 3 putt

Was in Boston for work this week. My badass gf got me a trip out on the ocean with her upstairs neighbor. Like I’ve said before, she’s new to this sport, but enjoys it. She’s getting pretty good too!

We sabiki’ed up some mackerel and drifted them. Caught a bunch of decent Stripers and a couple of decent blues.

65fecdd00d6546d21367125a4615fc12.jpeg

15c47ee3a03bec8518171b623934865d.jpg

I’m cooking Striper and Andouille gumbo right now. I swear it tastes better than Buchanan/Freshwater Stripers.

We also saw a Mola Mola which I’ve never seen before, but was a cool experience:

9e1cc41d0106471b5a1ccdaf17349873.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

On 9/18/2022 at 4:42 PM, Masshole Horn said:

Was in Boston for work this week. My badass gf got me a trip out on the ocean with her upstairs neighbor. Like I’ve said before, she’s new to this sport, but enjoys it. She’s getting pretty good too!

We sabiki’ed up some mackerel and drifted them. Caught a bunch of decent Stripers and a couple of decent blues.

65fecdd00d6546d21367125a4615fc12.jpeg

We also saw a Mola Mola which I’ve never seen before, but was a cool experience:

9e1cc41d0106471b5a1ccdaf17349873.jpeg

Holy shit, it's a baby fuckin' whale, man!

• Haha 3

On 9/21/2022 at 4:49 PM, DougO said:

I  was in an Academy store earlier today and saw that the entire selection of H20 crankbaits is gone. Is it the same everywhere? What's the deal?

There were all on clearance. I bought about 40 lures for 60 bucks. A lot of there stuff was direct copies of name brand stuff. I wonder if that had anything to do with it. Their lipless crankbaits catch me a lot of bass. 

Had a top 3 fishing day of my life yesterday. Full day float, cloud cover and some rain in the morning, fishing was ok. Blue winged olives started to pop but nobody was looking up. 

Ate lunch and the weather started to clear a bit, then spent the next two hours posting up and sniping rising fish on #18 parachute adams. See fish, cast, watch them rise from the bottom and eat it 15 feet off the boat in the slo-mo…over and over and over.

Then another storm rolled in (dark, dark clouds and rain) and we threw massive white streamers and the fish went bonkers…I’m talking every cast, multiple fish chasing it. It was insane. 
Where were you?

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
35 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:
Had a top 3 fishing day of my life yesterday. Full day float, cloud cover and some rain in the morning, fishing was ok. Blue winged olives started to pop but nobody was looking up. 

Ate lunch and the weather started to clear a bit, then spent the next two hours posting up and sniping rising fish on #18 parachute adams. See fish, cast, watch them rise from the bottom and eat it 15 feet off the boat in the slo-mo…over and over and over.

Then another storm rolled in (dark, dark clouds and rain) and we threw massive white streamers and the fish went bonkers…I’m talking every cast, multiple fish chasing it. It was insane. 

Where were you?

El Tenedor.

Fished solo today; same place as Sunday.

Super frustrating at times because there is this one flat channel with several lanes of fish rising. Just sip, sip, sip all the live long day. Some midges and lots of blue wing olives in the air, but my BWO pattern wasn't to their liking, so I spent about two hours throwing the kitchen sink at them. Nothing.

Gave up, moved up to this wide, long riffle and started nymphing. Instant results. Cinnamon Crunch (think: minimalist beadhead pheasant tail) was the day's MVP.

Tied on a streamer (local variation of a polar minnow) and did OK, but missed way more than I caught. It's like they were drunk and couldn't hit what they struck at.

Anyway, pics are spoilered to mitigate longcatting. Hard to take decent shots when you're solo.

Going to be fishing lots over the next couple of weeks, so I might have more to share if y'all like this sort of stuff.

Spoiler

This chubby 'bow was my first catch on a nymph and probably biggest of the day. Didn't measure but guessing she was near 20"

20221005-135535-Sharped.jpg

More red-spotted browns

20221005-140938-Sharped.jpg

The day's MVP

20221005-142942-Sharped.jpg

Favorite fish of the day was this idiot. Why am I calling him that? Because he tried to swallow my AirLock bobber. Happens surprisingly often, especially when using an orange or pink indicator. Today's was white. Anyway, I set as he rose for the bobber and managed to hook him in the nose with the CC nymph. Suck it, IGFA.

20221005-143108-Sharped.jpg

And a humble Bonnie that required four passes and some jigging with a streamer to finally connect after countless misses

20221005-163238-Sharped.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 5

Bobber comes off when they come up to eat it.

Dry or die, baby.

Quick story:

Was in a zoom with like 8 people yesterday when a caddis landed on my hand while I was talking. Visibly geeked (been waiting for the October hatch, they are here), then tried explaining what I was geeking about. Bug? Trout? What the fuck is this idiot talking about?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Bobber comes off when they come up to eat it.

Dry or die, baby.

Quick story:

Was in a zoom with like 8 people yesterday when a caddis landed on my hand while I was talking. Visibly geeked (been waiting for the October hatch, they are here), then tried explaining what I was geeking about. Bug? Trout? What the fuck is this idiot talking about?

The worst thing about too many flyfishermen ... is they are always passing judgment on how you fish and telling you how they think you should be fishing.

In all seriousness, I thought you lived in the Yucatan these days? They have a big caddis hatch there in October? Or are you multinational?

18 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

The worst thing about too many flyfishermen ... is they are always passing judgment on how you fish and telling you how they think you should be fishing.

In all seriousness, I thought you lived in the Yucatan these days? They have a big caddis hatch there in October? Or are you multinational?

Trout anglers are THE. WORST.

Back in CO! Wet summer, fish are happy. I am fucking them up 👊.

So my neighbor has been trying to get into fly fishing and not having any luck so I took him the other day. He hooked into 3 but couldn’t land them. Today I asked if he could play hookie in the afternoon. 

He catches a nice brown trout and then I tell him I want him to catch a whitefish so he can feel how they fight different.

A few minutes later he lands this. An absolute tank of a choagie.

E68F332E-34B0-4202-A8D1-1B999D9A9789.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

So my neighbor has been trying to get into fly fishing and not having any luck so I took him the other day. He hooked into 3 but couldn’t land them. Today I asked if he could play hookie in the afternoon. 

He catches a nice brown trout and then I tell him I want him to catch a whitefish so he can feel how they fight different.

A few minutes later he lands this. An absolute tank of a choagie.

E68F332E-34B0-4202-A8D1-1B999D9A9789.jpeg

Nice fish.  Dude is set for tippet.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Forgot to post this. Hit up Ray Roberts fishing for Sandies. Caught about 60 between the three of us, but didn’t get anything other than a cat for the first two hours. A cold front blew through the night before and it was windy and overcast.

IMG_1051.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

I’m stoked for next week.  Got a nice RV setup, private pier with lights and a kayak, going to spend a few days on Keller Bay.  Staying at this place.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/43986372?source_impression_id=p3_1667051850_Oq084OeWD4T4ovVL

I’ll be sure to give a review of the place, one of our crew has stayed there twice and says it’s great, except for the mosquitoes.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2