Fishing Megathread: Looking For Big Girls Who swallow

Mac8111

2 hours ago, hookemATL said:

Whereabouts?  Ive got the white bass itch and am just looking for an excuse to play hooky from work.

Shaffer Bend on upper Lake Travis.  If you're on the other side of the lake, The Narrows would probably work as well.

Fish are running at The Steps at Lake Granger, but there are so many people fishing that it's not worth it if you can't get there really early.  There were no other fishermen at Shaffer Bend yesterday.

• Drool 1

On 2/26/2023 at 10:08 PM, BearSchlong said:

What was the reel they had on Amazon which was the Chinese knockoffs of the $400 Shimano Metanium or Anteres? Was about $60 IIRC and had great reviews? I’d go buy a half dozen of them now. Anyone? I can’t remember if it was this site or one of the ancestor sites where that discussion occurred.

Kastking and Piscifun seem to be the most common Amazon reels, get really good reviews and are cheap. I have no experience with them.

• Like 1

I haven't fished that much since the olden days when I was in clubs and doing tournaments and stuff. Got a toe in the water last year bank fishing, but I have never fished with anything but monofiliment line. Trilene XL was always my bass line of choice and still seems to be popular. What flourocarbon are y'all using? Too many damn choices. What's a good starter?

3 minutes ago, DougO said:

I haven't fished that much since the olden days when I was in clubs and doing tournaments and stuff. Got a toe in the water last year bank fishing, but I have never fished with anything but monofiliment line. Trilene XL was always my bass line of choice and still seems to be popular. What flourocarbon are y'all using? Too many damn choices. What's a good starter?

I use 30 lb powerpro braid with 6' of 20lb flouro leader on my baitcasters. Works great on bass or redfish at the coast. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, DougO said:

Tatsu is the best I have ever used--and there isn't a close second. I buy it in 8, 10, 12, 15 and 20 lb test. For lift-and-drop bottom-bouncing baits, there is nothing better. It is outrageously expensive though and will encourage you to go braid to leader. Learn the FG knot and don't look back.

I have recently tried a few spools of Diawa Samurai, and I am impressed with it as well. It is cheaper, but it still has the feel of high-end fluoro. 

For moving baits, there are lots of good cheaper choices. I bought several spool of P Line Tactical fluoro on sale last year, and it has been fine. 

If you want to buy just a good in-betweener that can do it all pretty well, SunLine Sniper is good stuff. 

For crankbaits and topwaters, I still like copolymer and McCoy's Mean Green has never done me wrong. Good combination of stretch, abrasion resistance and knot strength. Also cheap. 

Now braid is a different discussion....

Gearing up for my third tournament weekend in a row right now. Looking at my line supply, and it is a bit embarrassing. Probably 30 spools in my line case--not counting the ones I carry in the boat in case I blow up a reel.

• Like 3

Fishing has stayed extremely slow for this time of year in Costa Rica. Still way more marlin around than usual but the sailfish just aren’t here in numbers like they should be. Yesterday we found a ton of yellowfin tuna everywhere we went so got some for dinner, then caught this nice blue marlin and a few sails. We are fishing a one day tournament on Saturday so hopefully the fishing picks up.

Edited by justhookit
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

On 2/28/2023 at 2:13 PM, DougO said:

Kastking and Piscifun seem to be the most common Amazon reels, get really good reviews and are cheap. I have no experience with them.

They aren't bad, until you put heavy use on them and the bearings crap out. If you just fish every once in a blue moon, knock yourself out. 

37 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Always good to circle back to this thread and remind myself that despite all my more expensive-ish gear, there is nothing better than a stock tank, and cheap Zebco with a topwater, and a cooler of cold beer.

I definitely wish I could find access to a good stock tank. Beats bank fishing at the lake.

• Hook 'Em 1

Looking forward to getting to wet a line for the first time in a while. Dad and I planning to head out to Sabine on Saturday morning. Forecast weather conditions are pretty much perfect. Wind finally supposed to be below 10 mph for the first time in ages. At a bare minimum it will at least be a pretty morning.

• Hook 'Em 2

I snuck out Monday evening to a small lake outside of Tulsa to see if I could catch anything.  I threw a spinner bait to start off with with no takers, switched to my fly rod throwing streamers…nothing.  I was about to call it a day but decided to try a dragonfly nymph under an indicator and immediately started getting bites.  Turned in to a fun evening:

1E9572F7-B1DA-45F7-879F-6B4954C1101E.thumb.jpeg.00af36ead2aa137747904739aa25a5fc.jpeg

3FE6DA9E-2B10-4918-B152-391D1A48B448.thumb.jpeg.ede0e7ec96fc4f09e030283654524ff2.jpeg

09B16F18-5F8C-4403-85D7-CDFF296C7380.thumb.jpeg.511e940dcc831fe39e484fd122578967.jpeg

67A74B4B-8728-45E8-AB15-99AA4A10472A.thumb.jpeg.da9402441c07f59fe21dc350ae73dac6.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 6

Fished the Guad with a guide for trout finally. I learned more today than I think I've learned in any single day fishing. I fucked up on a really solid fish and pinched the line just as it surged. If its A redfish and I survive that fuck up. Some dumb instinctual stupidity and broke off like a clown. Humbling. Inspiring. Can't wait to go back.

Did get two on dry flies missed several

Caught plenty.

I suspect I'll dream more about that trout than than any saltwater fishI lost recently. Except maybe that plus 30 trout I lost in Galvatraz last summer.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Born to Run said:

Fished the Guad with a guide for trout finally. I learned more today than I think I've learned in any single day fishing. I fucked up on a really solid fish and pinched the line just as it surged. If its A redfish and I survive that fuck up. Some dumb instinctual stupidity and broke off like a clown. Humbling. Inspiring. Can't wait to go back.

Did get two on dry flies missed several

Caught plenty.

I suspect I'll dream more about that trout than than any saltwater fishI lost recently. Except maybe that plus 30 trout I lost in Galvatraz last summer.

Nice.  I was debating fishing for whites or going to the Guad this weekend.  I think another trout trip is in order.

4 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

Where should I go to find the whites (besides Crate and Barrel or Restoration Hardware)? I’ve tried to get out but sick kids blew up my fishing plans last two weekends. 

If you're in the Austin area, The Steps at Lake Granger, Shaffer Bend, and The Narrows should have fish.  The Steps get really crowded on weekends.  I don't mind combat fishing, but I get there early enough to get the spot I want.  There was no one fishing Shaffer Bend last Sunday.

For other places around the state, check out the Texas Fishing Forum - https://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forums/4/1/whites-hybrids-striper.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Jerry Callo said:

If you're in the Austin area, The Steps at Lake Granger, Shaffer Bend, and The Narrows should have fish.  The Steps get really crowded on weekends.  I don't mind combat fishing, but I get there early enough to get the spot I want.  There was no one fishing Shaffer Bend last Sunday.

For other places around the state, check out the Texas Fishing Forum - https://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forums/4/1/whites-hybrids-striper.

Thanks! I’m very close to Camp Tejas/Lake Georgetown and I know people have success there, I’m just not exactly sure WHERE along that part of the San Gabriel I should target and what parts would get me away from the crowds. 

Just now, hookemATL said:

Thanks! I’m very close to Camp Tejas/Lake Georgetown and I know people have success there, I’m just not exactly sure WHERE along that part of the San Gabriel I should target and what parts would get me away from the crowds. 

Camp Tejas is nice when the water is up, but when the lake is low you have to walk a mile or a mile and a half to get to where the fish should can get to.  I tried once last year and only caught one and will not go again until the lake gets more water.  In the best conditions, Tejas can be difficult because the water is so clear. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Yeah it’s super convenient to me (15-20 min drive) and I really like the area and walking the riverbank just for fun but never had great luck fishing. Still might give it a shot, especially if we keep getting this badass weather. 

unsolicited fish pic from my the last time I snuck out to Brushy Creek during “work”

82DD3D1B-83E6-44C4-A8B9-42C1FA5D4830.jpeg

5700D126-0CB0-49A2-B749-93A11A8749A2.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

Yeah it’s super convenient to me (15-20 min drive) and I really like the area and walking the riverbank just for fun but never had great luck fishing. Still might give it a shot, especially if we keep getting this badass weather. 

Give it a shot and report back.  Just make sure you walk down past the big bend and get to the main lake.  The fish can't make it up past the old booty crossing when the lake is low.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

I recommend TFO (Temple Fork Outfitters) for all flyrods. 

This. I’ve got a Thomas & Thomas and a Scott and the two TFOs I have are just as good and less than half the price. My 3wt TFO is my favorite rod.

Edited by troph
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, hookemATL said:

unsolicited fish pic from my the last time I snuck out to Brushy Creek during “work”

I was thinking about getting up there soon with this weather.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, hookemATL said:

I dunno how clean the water is in Brushy Creek, what with all the development runoff around here.

Hit Shaffer Bend this morning looking for whites. Only caught a few whites but ended up with several largemouth and Guadalupe bass.

This one was about 2.5 pounds.

Beautiful morning enjoying nature - including coyotes howling, turkeys gobbling, and a curious beaver.

61aa6ac9c05772d7975b409c8f0471f9.jpg7ae331227f0c78183c3e0f0711e5e90a.jpg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Armybrat said:

I dunno how clean the water is in Brushy Creek, what with all the development runoff around here.

I've never fished Brushy Creek, and if I did I'd probably be terrible at it, but I trust Living Waters and below is their request for action on TPWD input for protection via bag limits:

The Link

And for @Born to Run, there are a ton of variables that go into it, but I'll echo the TFO recommendations.  You may end up wanting something slightly different, but that TFO will always have a home and play a solid role in your "quiver."  Also, don't underestimate how much importance the line plays.  It's an underrated but over-represented part of the experience as I've learned from those on here and from my limited experience.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Fished the Guadalupe for trout yesterday.  Only caught large two trout, but I had a myriad of rigging issues keeping my flies out of the water.  My buddy caught three trout and a red horse sucker - one of the trout was really nice.  Always nice to be out enjoying nature.  I think this turkey was coming on to me.

914ee4a8384a467b0c018e70bda86333.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

myriad of rigging issues keeping my flies out of the water

1. Small piece of duct tape stuck to indicator fly required re-rigging before first cast.

2. Realized that I missed two eyelets when lining the rod, after initial re-rig, thus re-re-rig.

3. Forgot split shot after re-rigging and didn't notice for 30 minutes, thus casting practice.

4. First fish landed.  Hook on pheasant tail nymph indicator bent 90 degrees to the side.  Re-re-re-rig.

5. Second fish landed.  Midge gets hooked to bootlace.  Re-re-re-re-rig.

6.  Miss hard strike. San Juan worm and midge end up in branch above me.  Re-re-re-re-re-rig.

7.  Fish for a while longer and call it a day.

I suspect I spent as much time re-rigging as I did fishing yesterday.  Sometimes its just not your day - and still managed to land two trout. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

1. Small piece of duct tape stuck to indicator fly required re-rigging before first cast.

2. Realized that I missed two eyelets when lining the rod, after initial re-rig, thus re-re-rig.

3. Forgot split shot after re-rigging and didn't notice for 30 minutes, thus casting practice.

4. First fish landed.  Hook on pheasant tail nymph indicator bent 90 degrees to the side.  Re-re-re-rig.

5. Second fish landed.  Midge gets hooked to bootlace.  Re-re-re-re-rig.

6.  Miss hard strike. San Juan worm and midge end up in branch above me.  Re-re-re-re-re-rig.

7.  Fish for a while longer and call it a day.

I suspect I spent as much time re-rigging as I did fishing yesterday.  Sometimes its just not your day - and still managed to land two trout. 

can't have the sugar without the salt, amigo.

i haven't fished in months, but it's now my favorite time of the year: the olives are popping and every fish in the river is looking up and they're dumb as shit. going to try and get out tomorrow for a bank session, will try and get some vids if the bugs pop. the river looks like it's boiling with rises.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/2/2023 at 2:20 PM, Storm the Field said:

Looking forward to getting to wet a line for the first time in a while. Dad and I planning to head out to Sabine on Saturday morning. Forecast weather conditions are pretty much perfect. Wind finally supposed to be below 10 mph for the first time in ages. At a bare minimum it will at least be a pretty morning.

Well that sucked.

Absolutely zero wind, literally 0 mph, when we got up in the morning and hit the road. Stopped at the bait shop to get some fresh shrimp, about 5 miles from the boat launch, and still maybe only a slight 3-4 mph breeze. Get to the launch and notice there's only 1 other truck parked there. Wind is whipping around strong from the east and the lake is white-capping with 3-4 foot swells.

Gave up and audibled to Keith Lake where it's more protected. Place was absolutely dead. No bait moving anywhere, no birds flying, nothing. Never even saw a mullet jump. Of the maybe 15 boats we saw out there, didn't see anyone having any action except for one group that was fishing dead shrimp off the bottom and catching a couple sheephead. I think the water was too fresh, as I noticed there was no smell of salt in the air whatsoever. Smelled like cruising across a freshwater lake.

At least it was sunny and cool. 

Edited by Storm the Field

I've never fished Brushy Creek, and if I did I'd probably be terrible at it, but I trust Living Waters and below is their request for action on TPWD input for protection via bag limits:
The Link
And for [mention=2205]Born to Run[/mention], there are a ton of variables that go into it, but I'll echo the TFO recommendations.  You may end up wanting something slightly different, but that TFO will always have a home and play a solid role in your "quiver."  Also, don't underestimate how much importance the line plays.  It's an underrated but over-represented part of the experience as I've learned from those on here and from my limited experience.
Thanks to all for the advice. line recs?

I've always spent money on flyline, you are correct it's the most important element. I can deal with a cheaper real and a decent rod. I currently own 27 different fishing set ups. And I have way to many other hobbies.

18 hours ago, Born to Run said:

Thanks to all for the advice. line recs?

I've always spent money on flyline, you are correct it's the most important element. I can deal with a cheaper real and a decent rod. I currently own 27 different fishing set ups. And I have way to many other hobbies.

not Rio.

I fish SA almost exclusively but also like the Orvis Pro line (which is actually just SA with different branding)

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I generally agree with Hollywood, SA v good. The sound the textured lines make take some getting used to, but they shoot really nicely.

My local shop a few years ago bought a huge lot of new old stock from Rio and sold me a couple new $120 lines for $50 each. So I’d say ask your local if they have any good deals.

On 3/6/2023 at 8:39 AM, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

can't have the sugar without the salt, amigo.

i haven't fished in months, but it's now my favorite time of the year: the olives are popping and every fish in the river is looking up and they're dumb as shit. going to try and get out tomorrow for a bank session, will try and get some vids if the bugs pop. the river looks like it's boiling with rises.

Where do you typically fish?  The Fryingpan or the Roaring Fork?

11 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
11 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:
Mostly the fork, occasionally the Colorado, and maybe 1-2 times a year I go to the pan.

Just too many people on the Pan or what? Or are the fish too smart?

It’s a combo of things. I do most of my damage from the boat, but if I wade I want some solitude and I want to be able to move around and know the spots I’m fishing haven’t been hammered all day.

Most people that fish the Pan stand in the same spot targeting the same 50 fish all day. It drives me nuts.

• Like 1