Fishing Megathread: Looking For Big Girls Who swallow

Mac8111

4 hours ago, Born to Run said:

Taking the boy and his friends to Winter Park to snowboard next week. I'm not cleared to Ride yet (ACL)
Is it too early up there to fish?
I'd hire a guide for sure, trying to decide if I should pack my gear or just go snow shoeing.

I’m not that familiar with Winter Park but have fished the Colorado west of Granby and the Blue below Silverthorn. Both are excellent winter fisheries, especially the Blue.  Winter Park is about equidistant to both of those streams but two passes to navigate to the Blue.

I’ll let Colorado dudes chime in for better intel.

Taking the boy and his friends to Winter Park to snowboard next week. I'm not cleared to Ride yet (ACL)
I'd hire a guide for sure, trying to decide if I should pack my gear or just go snow shoeing.
You can fish the Colorado, but you'll freeze your nuts off.

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
On 3/11/2023 at 5:52 PM, Born to Run said:

You can fish the Colorado, but you'll freeze your nuts off.

I didn’t think it was that deep. 

On 3/11/2023 at 4:52 PM, Born to Run said:

it's not too early to fish in CO. it's one of my favorite times of the year to be on the water, but I would hire a guide to make sure you end up on the right stretch.

• Like 1

it's not too early to fish in CO. it's one of my favorite times of the year to be on the water, but I would hire a guide to make sure you end up on the right stretch.
Thanks everyone for advice. I had too many teens under my watch to make a meeting with a guide and get my ass to lower elevation and still make pick up when lifts quit.
I'd hoped another family could handle pick up a few days but that didn't work out. Oh well. Stomping around on snowshoes has me stoked to come back when things melt a bit.

One of them days.

Played hookie yesterday and went to a little river in town. Bluebird day but the olives were popping and every fish in the river was rising for a 2.5 hour stretch.

This river doesn’t typically hold big fish but the rainbows are starting to migrate to their spawning grounds and you can sight fish donkeys sipping on top this time of year.

638D3200-5B67-45C0-BDBF-D2DD13FB850F.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 6
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Pics never do the size justice.

- Brett Favre

lunch time brown with a massive paddle sipping on bugs in 3 inches of water.

54AE15AE-805A-4773-B5BC-37ED06691B96.jpeg

Working in Vegas. Super jealous but grinning ear to ear, anyway. Thanks for sharing.

Was he a diver? My observation is that big trout with big fins prefer to stay down. They really know how to lean on the line.

8 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Working in Vegas. Super jealous but grinning ear to ear, anyway. Thanks for sharing.

Was he a diver? My observation is that big trout with big fins prefer to stay down. They really know how to lean on the line.

Yup, that one fought real dirty. 

Sidenote: I’ve had a couple of big rainbows recently eat my fly, then literally just lay on top of the water as I reel them into the net. So fucking lazy you just have to laugh. My spirit animal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, hookemATL said:

Well here's the deal.  If my manager gets pissed just because I played hookie today(as inspired by your last few posts), then I am just going to blame you directly.  I will have him send you a sternly worded letter, and I shall fuck off to the creek!

You are a better person, therefore a better employee, after having fished.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

It’s a stretch of Brushy Creek here in Cedar Park below a small dam/lake. There is never anyone there and I can be from my front door to wet lines in 10 mins. My go to for sneaking out of work for a few hours so I don’t rage quit every other week. 

I wonder how close we are to each other...

da3820aa-462d-4f33-af26-05ce9616e042.jpg

On 3/16/2023 at 7:52 PM, MalibuSheriff said:

Oklahoma smallmouth bass country.  Fishing was slow (no smallmouth but a few spots and LMB).  Tent camping on top of a mountain in high winds.  However, good scenery, new stream access points found for warmer weather, and fun times with the kid.

8C9A0AA9-60C3-41C9-80B2-29221C0DD426.thumb.jpeg.12ebb8f995e030cd3dfda75d18a0132d.jpeg

382DD7E2-8AFA-4B1D-9E47-D96F4346629C.thumb.jpeg.11872f78a712517591bdf14ed19cadc6.jpeg

3120A94F-5109-4DFC-B157-698A3A904989.thumb.jpeg.39c04ec42d00149b39d595511fd22ce2.jpeg

3A54365D-98B4-461B-9051-6F1E59F070EF.thumb.jpeg.d6f5b759b6bdbae6a9a3b79ea0afc35f.jpeg

E9A6AD8B-54BE-41EF-B958-DD513A42F669.thumb.jpeg.ca6cf104309aacdf71c82bfdaea59339.jpeg

237CB98C-D2AB-44CE-B459-7A8536C981A2.thumb.jpeg.46e272bae32e158c372ae44576183ac5.jpeg

008FFB7B-E2E8-40CD-B594-7EB92424767E.thumb.png.ab267f982c1371220d9142f1bd373ca1.png

1D347D15-3660-4334-B403-AAE0656EE13A.thumb.jpeg.849dbb6703f4464eceb1588d5bdb28f1.jpeg

8F123369-3722-485C-B069-917B2B9D509A.thumb.jpeg.5bf017c47733bb9a90244cd965d7b116.jpeg

DC297C04-AA3B-455D-8B3F-7EC7D9D12715.thumb.jpeg.3f28890317dca422e6edff9bfb336f46.jpeg

Can you imagine all the Indians sent to Oklahoma coming across this place and saying "hey, this ain't all that bad", only to end up in Lawton.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Looks like the best weather of the year at the coast, and little Rojo starts his first job tomorrow, so we're stuck in CenTex. Might pull out the skiff and go carp fish Sunday just to get out. 

I’m playing hooky Monday to go do some wading. 

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

Well the catching wasn't so good with the wading trip, but getting the fuck out of Austin and getting reacquainted with gear I hadn't touched since last October was nice.  Was a nice day, fish just didn't cooperate.  Left Austin at 3:40 this morning, hit Oyster Lake out of Palacios at 6:45 (had to stop at Hruska's for a sack of breakfast),  got back home at 3:50  this afternoon.  Man I'm tired.  Days total was 2 sand trout, a huge gafftop, too many oyster shells to count and that was pretty much it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Well the catching wasn't so good with the wading trip, but getting the fuck out of Austin and getting reacquainted with gear I hadn't touched since last October was nice.  Was a nice day, fish just didn't cooperate.  Left Austin at 3:40 this morning, hit Oyster Lake out of Palacios at 6:45 (had to stop at Hruska's for a sack of breakfast),  got back home at 3:50  this afternoon.  Man I'm tired.  Days total was 2 sand trout, a huge gafftop, too many oyster shells to count and that was pretty much it. 

Its the getting out part that cleanses the soul but you already knew that.  I count my blessings that I don’t have to make drives like that anymore when the itch needs to be scratched.

1 hour ago, Zwylde said:

Its the getting out part that cleanses the soul but you already knew that.  I count my blessings that I don’t have to make drives like that anymore when the itch needs to be scratched.

Sure and I did the trip with a few lifelong friends, spending time with them was gold.  Like these fellas.

spacer.png

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

Fun trip with a client last week to the Guad. Insane amount of fish, landed about 25 fish most all were 16-24. Fish everywhere we went . Caught 5 on streamers including a pb around 24 BUT FAT AF. fish were dumb but pick
Ate mostly on tiny clesr nymphs.

So much fun. Client landed roughly a 6lb
most fun this year

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, texastough said:

Try Chris Johnson at Living Waters

Chris doesn't do much guiding anymore.  I think the Guad guide that he had, Alex Herrera, has moved on to something else.  I fished with Alex last year at this time and it was good.

Someone at the shop should be able to give a recommendation.  I'm sure Action Angler has guides, as well.  I think @troph has used some guides on the Guad.

Fished half day today solo. Caught a few, lost a few. Everyone I talked to had a slower day. Saw few fish and most I caught I didn't see. All were quality and healthy, no dinks. Had a pig on that just ran and ran damn near to backing and then turned and spit the hook without me getting a good look.
Not sure which is worse, knowing or not knowing how big with a good visual.

Guess I need to work Sat and go back once more next week before it's too hot.

Floated the big river yesterday in the probably the most intense bug hatches I’ve ever seen. Midges and olives just exploded after several days of wind/snow. 

Nobody had on a buff and we were just inhaling bugs the entire float. Usually thick hatches like that come in waves but these never let up for 5 hours.

Not a single boat saw a single fish rise all day.

The more I fish the less I know.

EBC42615-E966-46A4-85D3-6C7CEF4924D6.jpeg

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Floated the big river yesterday in the probably the most intense bug hatches I’ve ever seen. Midges and olives just exploded after several days of wind/snow. 

Nobody had on a buff and we were just inhaling bugs the entire float. Usually thick hatches like that come in waves but these never let up for 5 hours.

Not a single boat saw a single fish rise all day.

The more I fish the less I know.

EBC42615-E966-46A4-85D3-6C7CEF4924D6.jpeg

Lots of extrusive basaltic flows in your neck of the woods. If I didn't know better, I'd have thought you snapped that in SE Idaho.

Any luck on streamers/leeches?

8 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Lots of extrusive basaltic flows in your neck of the woods. If I didn't know better, I'd have thought you snapped that in SE Idaho.

Any luck on streamers/leeches?

Town next door is named Basalt 😜

Didn't even move a fish on streamers. I think they was filled up on bugs and taking a siesta.