Fishing Megathread: Looking For Big Girls Who swallow

Mac8111

I keep a couple bead eyed clousers made entirely out of flash in the fly box. If the schools of Ladyfish are around they are an absolute blast with a 6wt. Throw a flashy clouser in front of the school and strip as fast as you can and the whole school will chase it down. 

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I keep a couple bead eyed clousers made entirely out of flash in the fly box. If the schools of Ladyfish are around they are an absolute blast with a 6wt. Throw a flashy clouser in front of the school and strip as fast as you can and the whole school will chase it down. 

I left all my gear like a dummy. I knew I should bring it but I figured I’d be a considerate partner and not fish the whole time. Yeah I’m an addict.

Change of plans, gonna wade fish the bird island flats just north of the boat ramp late day.  Another first… fly fishing salt flats on my own today. 

I have these two my guide gave me but I’ll stop by port A outfitters and get a few and some more tippet. 

IMG_2068.jpeg

Screenshot 2023-05-20 at 12.48.29 PM.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

This little lady jumped like 5 times, zigged, zagged, stripped all the way in and said nope and took 50 feet of slack line again and I had to bring it in on the reel. Easily as much fun as a red, pound for pound way more. Just wish it was on a 6 wt not an 8 wt. 

IMG_4112.thumb.jpeg.c32ccb00d82c4b51a8df44655aad49f6.jpeg

no my knees and elbows for that matter aren’t even a 6 - too much boon docking and roughing it out there to be pretty. So we can go ahead and get that out of the way. 
Nice they are a blast. For awhile as I kid I was targeting the state record. Hooked some pigs but lost them, PB is around 4.5 lbs. Bigger ones will shred your tippet, even 30lb. When my kid still fished bait I'd always catch a couple for cut bait before heading to the redfish spot. Best cut bait in the world.

You cannot strip too fast for them. They will also Destroy surface poppers.

Heard the surf was on fire this morning. I had to work fml

On 5/20/2023 at 2:47 PM, Born to Run said:

Heard the surf was on fire this morning. I had to work fml

Matagorda wasn’t. Bait everywhere, flat as could be.  Green water about 100 yds too far out.  Water was heavily stained, but not dirty. Coming in the green was reaching shore at 3 mile cut.   Spooks, mirrolures, and touts; gafftops, gafftops, and gafftops.    Should have took the boat out for some state snapper instead.  

Just now, fattyflattie said:

Matagorda wasn’t. Bait everywhere, flat as could be.  Green water about 100 yds too far out.  Water was heavily stained, but not dirty. Coming in the green was reaching shore at 3 mile cut.   Spooks, mirrolures, and touts; gafftops, gafftops, and gafftops.    Should have took the boat out for some state snapper instead.  

Well I went to a swim meet, so…

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Snapper is underrated. Limiting out in 20 mins is it’s own kinda crazy action.

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, troph said:

Snapper is underrated. Limiting out in 20 mins is it’s own kinda crazy action.

Bringing home snapper to the wife is about 80% of the reason I’ve been able to keep the boat and maintain with open checkbook, even in years of non-use due to work, etc.  

They are not so different, when the surf is dead on, I’ve strung 10 in 10 casts before, sort of like snapper fishing.  

• Hook 'Em 1

PSA. - for you lowly non-fly folks! ;-). I was looking at replacement spinning reels and saw that Dicks has the Shimano Sedonas on sale for $39.99, which is basically half price.  Pretty serviceable reel, especially for $40 instead of $80.  So I got a 3000 and a 4000.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, huge said:

IMG_8685.MOV 38.87 MB · 7 downloads  

Trying to attach video

What a glorious beast.

Questions for @justhookit and others who've chased billfish for decades: hHw are their populations holding up? Are their ranges as broad as they once were? Are larger specimens harder to find? Or has conservation been effective in maintaining an equilibrium or even resulting in greater numbers?

On 5/25/2023 at 5:22 PM, Braff Zacklin said:

What a glorious beast.

Questions for @justhookit and others who've chased billfish for decades: hHw are their populations holding up? Are their ranges as broad as they once were? Are larger specimens harder to find? Or has conservation been effective in maintaining an equilibrium or even resulting in greater numbers?

Hard to say. The fishing is as good or better than its ever been, but part of that is the increased efficiency and technology of boats and tackle and techniques. To really understand billfish populations we would need accurate commercial fishing data which we never had in the past and still don’t have.

The conservation issue means that almost all recreationally caught billfish are released. The problem has been and always will be on the commercial side.

• Like 1

Took the kid fishing Sunday, northwest of Tulsa in Osage County on a small city lake.  Fishing wasn’t great as a small storm popped up and chased us off the lake. However, thought I’d share some other wildlife photos - the shoreline around the lake had dozens of collared lizards running around.  I haven’t seen one since I was a kid.  

PSA - They’ll bite the shit out of you if you pick one up…

IMG_7789.thumb.jpeg.4f235cbdedb3a911e9f478ff0d68fad1.jpeg

IMG_7788.thumb.png.c5da9efcad98b8bfad3d302b3ae05fe9.png

IMG_0808.thumb.jpeg.87295f9312ce48c11fb5d7d3bd443c8b.jpeg

IMG_0809.thumb.jpeg.0248955c9b7669e2d1335b0a9361c617.jpeg

IMG_7771.thumb.jpeg.a98cc20a093fa04b83590977f32ffd9b.jpeg

IMG_7728.thumb.jpeg.ee87afc12f73ea8a7264ff353065edbd.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, MalibuSheriff said:

Took the kid fishing Sunday, northwest of Tulsa in Osage County on a small city lake.  Fishing wasn’t great as a small storm popped up and chased us off the lake. However, thought I’d share some other wildlife photos - the shoreline around the lake had dozens of collared lizards running around.  I haven’t seen one since I was a kid.  

PSA - They’ll bite the shit out of you if you pick one up…

IMG_7789.thumb.jpeg.4f235cbdedb3a911e9f478ff0d68fad1.jpeg

IMG_7788.thumb.png.c5da9efcad98b8bfad3d302b3ae05fe9.png

IMG_0808.thumb.jpeg.87295f9312ce48c11fb5d7d3bd443c8b.jpeg

IMG_0809.thumb.jpeg.0248955c9b7669e2d1335b0a9361c617.jpeg

IMG_7771.thumb.jpeg.a98cc20a093fa04b83590977f32ffd9b.jpeg

IMG_7728.thumb.jpeg.ee87afc12f73ea8a7264ff353065edbd.jpeg

That’s awesome. Didn’t even know those existed. Thx for posting. 

• Like 1

I've fished my whole life various places in Texas and have STILL yet to catch a tripletail.  Good stuff.
I have caught more nearshore and offshore than in the bay. In the bay they can get finicky and spook easily, and you generally need calmer days so it's hot as fuck and they stick tight to shade. But any floating weed patch or debris can hold them. Caught a bunch under a floating piece of plywood maybe a half mile off POC and few under sargassum inside the jetty. Clean like giant crappie.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I've fished my whole life various places in Texas and have STILL yet to catch a tripletail.  Good stuff.

There's a bunch of them not far from where you used to camp out and fish.  ANYTHING floating will hold them on calm, hot days.  DOA's or live shrimp, or nothing has been our experience.  They are fun to hunt in the doldrums of summer afternoons. 

There's a bunch of them not far from where you used to camp out and fish.  ANYTHING floating will hold them on calm, hot days.  DOA's or live shrimp, or nothing has been our experience.  They are fun to hunt in the doldrums of summer afternoons. 
They like small live bait, jigs, bucktails and flies. They just don't like to move much off the structure in my experience. I'd choose a small mullet or shad over a late summer eating size live shrimp imo, a small shrimp would be first choice however. Smaller hooks too, dudes try and target with bigger offshore shit and it usually doesn't work. They Are like giant crappie. A small minnow or shrimp or lure right in the face or you aren't fishing.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Born to Run said:
15 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

They like small live bait, jigs, bucktails and flies. They just don't like to move much off the structure in my experience. I'd choose a small mullet or shad over a late summer eating size live shrimp imo, a small shrimp would be first choice however. Smaller hooks too, dudes try and target with bigger offshore shit and it usually doesn't work. They Are like giant crappie. A small minnow or shrimp or lure right in the face or you aren't fishing.

Good to know.  Shrimp colored 3" DOA has been my go as long as I can remember (haven't had bait on the boat (inshore) in ~25 years).  Used to have good luck with live shrimp on buoys or garbage in West M as a kid. 

Fuck man, skunked yesterday south of Baffin. Didn’t even find them. Waded 3 spots, ended on some sand flats that were muddy water and found one red. Ghost shadow looked like a small patch of damn grass but it moved. We stalked it for 5-10 mins got to within about 60 feet with favorable winds and I tossed that fly right on its nose and stripped and got the hook and lost it pretty quickly. That was it.  Fml.

how many of y’all skunk out hunting for reds on the fly and just don’t talk about it because I feel like a mother fucking looser. 

Edited by troph
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

Excited. I booked a salt water fly fishing trip out of Port A for first week in August.  I’ve wade fished both in the surf and back bays and never caught anything, although enjoying it immensely.  Looking forward to this with my son. 

Let us know how it goes and if you like your guide. I’ll be there the week after you and similarly have been skunked trying to fly fish at the coast. 

11 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

Excited. I booked a salt water fly fishing trip out of Port A for first week in August.  I’ve wade fished both in the surf and back bays and never caught anything, although enjoying it immensely.  Looking forward to this with my son. 

28 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

Let us know how it goes and if you like your guide. I’ll be there the week after you and similarly have been skunked trying to fly fish at the coast. 

No one answered my question probably because they didn’t want to embarrass me with their stories of tagged reds on the fly every trip. But I talked to my trout and bass guide about it as he’s transitioning to a salt water guide for the warmer months and he said he’s skunked often. 

@CycleTex87 do let us know who you use, my salt water guide is retiring and I’ll need another one for next year. I think I have my guy but always open. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I will say it seems like always the best strategy to catch is to cover a lot of water. Wading on your own without a boat is great fun but if that spot doesn’t have fish, you can cast til the sun goes down and you won’t get a bite. I probably waded 3 spots a total of 2 miles on foot either site casting (rare) or blind casting with a pattern almost like mowing the lawn. 2 miles x60 feet means I was tossing a fly across a lot of water.  In that time last weekend I had one verified red that’s it. Some black drum tails too. Fucking mullet tho… 

Edited by troph