Fishing Megathread: Looking For Big Girls Who swallow

Mac8111

A guard drove by and told me to go fish a certain corner with a Texas rig worm. 

"There's a 6 or 7 pounder in that spot we keep catching."

Went over and threw a worm. Third cast something heavy starts moving off with my bait, and I miss the hook set. 

Back tomorrow. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Our final score was=

5 in the boat.  4 reds over 33”, 1 black drum.

1 broke off at the boat.

Had bites/takes with about 10 fish but somehow or another fucked up a lot today.

Had good shots at about 20 fish.  Drum wouldnt bite and we suck at fly fishing.

Casualties - 1 Winston 9 weight, 12 beers

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Pescado Rojo you’ll like this.  

Buddy is casting - sees two big fish together.  Casts and hooks the small one.  It takes out a shitload of line.  By small I mean probably a 34” red.  Big one swims right behind the boat and is just sitting there.  It’s big.

Guide is snapping his fingers and saying “Cotex grab this other rod and bust the big one.”

So 1 fish on up front, guide trying to get off poling platform, and me trying to get rod out and get behind guide and “snap.”  I broke dude’s expensive ass fly rod, right in my hands.

Then buddy breaks off the small fish.  0-2.

Sorry for partying.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 3

2 hours ago, CoTex said:

Pescado Rojo you’ll like this.  

Buddy is casting - sees two big fish together.  Casts and hooks the small one.  It takes out a shitload of line.  By small I mean probably a 34” red.  Big one swims right behind the boat and is just sitting there.  It’s big.

Guide is snapping his fingers and saying “Cotex grab this other rod and bust the big one.”

So 1 fish on up front, guide trying to get off poling platform, and me trying to get rod out and get behind guide and “snap.”  I broke dude’s expensive ass fly rod, right in my hands.

Then buddy breaks off the small fish.  0-2.

Sorry for partying.

Hahaha….cockpit chaos, gotta love it. Where were you guys? Who were you fishing with?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, CoTex said:

Port Fourchon - not much here.  

Steamboat Flyfusher has some guides down here for the winter that had a last minute weekend opening so, mountain river guys at the bayou.

Nice. Never fished out of Fourchon, but I've fished out of Leeville and Golden Meadow several times. Mostly tow my skiff over and fish from Cocodrie these days. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Nice. Never fished out of Fourchon, but I've fished out of Leeville and Golden Meadow several times. Mostly tow my skiff over and fish from Cocodrie these days. 

I’ve fished out of Hopedale twice and Fourchon once.

Fourchon was a ghost town.  Only other fisherman we saw were sitting on a bucket on the bank on the side of the road.

Today - clouded out.  1 big ugly in 5 hours of poling and staring at our reflections on the water.  Drank 6 beers.  No gear lost or broken.

• Like 1

Didn’t know if the fly fishers on this thread had heard the news but we lost one of the greats of the sport Thanksgiving night, Dave Whitlock passed from a stroke.  Dave was the consummate gentleman, one of the most talented people I’ve met in life - art, science, writing, fly design - you name it.

7EF96A32-D6DC-426F-9A61-01EE69E4B44E.thumb.jpeg.667d0ae70b8021e3131fc6ce8172052e.jpeg

For the fly fishers, thought you all would enjoy these videos - Kelly Bostian, the former outdoor writer for the Tulsa World, spent a day with Dave at his home in Eastern Oklahoma a couple of years ago. He did an original video on Dave instructing proper roll casts:

https://youtu.be/Pb47tNX6yvw

He released two additional videos recently.  The first is Dave going through an excellent breakdown of a four-part fly cast ( Dave catches a huge rainbow from his spring-fed pond at end of the video):
https://youtu.be/XCwBn9YYfx4

The third is Dave going through his fly boxes talking about his favorite flies for fishing in Oklahoma:
https://youtu.be/2fl7RC_jfYA

Hope you all enjoy. I learned a couple of new things from the master. RIP Dave.  One of the very best of the good guys.
Edited by MalibuSheriff
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

That big flat that runs between Cayo Calebra and the south point of the bay. On the inshore side. 

No shit? I always feel like they stop there at the end of the day before crossing so they don’t show up at the lodge early.

Always feels like a throwaway spot to me.

Can’t tell what time you landed it…late in the day or early?

25 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

No shit? I always feel like they stop there at the end of the day before crossing so they don’t show up at the lodge early.

Always feels like a throwaway spot to me.

Can’t tell what time you landed it…late in the day or early?

Yea, no shit. I always thought the same thing, but whaddayouknow? I caught it around 2:30 or so. Caught the tarpon in the morning at Cayo Calebra. It was cloudy, so we were hanging out there waiting for the sun. There were so big Permit cruising around there earlier in the week, so we were hoping for some sun to look for them. 
I wasn’t even thinking about a slam, but Oscar remembered I had the tarpon already, and we ran up onto that flat after we released the permit, and it took longer to rig a bonefish rod than it took to find and catch the bone. Then Oscar and I sat up front and smoked a joint while his new Jr drove us home. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

Very nice two part video on fly fishing from the lower laguna madre up to Sabine pass. Travel by skiff, camp on islands in tents. The guys are on the young side so their pontificating about life is… I’ll say cute. But mad props for doing this trip and for filming it. Quality is good. 

I’d do this trip in a heart beat and yeah I’ve ridden around all day fishing hard in the heat so I know at times it would be a miserable experience.

anyway, the extreme adventure and doing in our home waters makes it kinda special.

worth a watch if you can’t help watching fishing videos. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, troph said:

’d do this trip in a heart beat and yeah I’ve ridden around all day fishing hard in the heat so I know at times it would be a miserable experience.

Having camped on Matagorda island many times after days of fishing (as a yoot), I can unequivocally tell you that the camping would be the most miserable part.   Even in the easy spots like the air fields, just miserable sleeping with the rattlesnakes, mesquitos, and pirates.  Some of the locals that live in those shacks are worse than the rattlers.  But fun to remember those times. 

By day two they were in port Mansfield. So that far south - which I’ve not been south of port Mansfield - would be one night.  The entire trip would have miserable parts but as I tell my kids it’s the memory and being able to say you did something that makes it incredible. I’m pretty sure I could avoid the snakes pirates are another thing I’ll give you, I wasn’t thinking about that. Doesn’t matter I’m not doing it, my first adventure as a middle ager will be crossing the ocean, which I would argue might be more dangerous. 

3 hours ago, troph said:

By day two they were in port Mansfield. So that far south - which I’ve not been south of port Mansfield - would be one night.  The entire trip would have miserable parts but as I tell my kids it’s the memory and being able to say you did something that makes it incredible. I’m pretty sure I could avoid the snakes pirates are another thing I’ll give you, I wasn’t thinking about that. Doesn’t matter I’m not doing it, my first adventure as a middle ager will be crossing the ocean, which I would argue might be more dangerous. 

Don’t get me wrong, I hope to do something similar, seems awesome. Was just stating how the miserableness of the camping is what stuck with me out of all those trips.  Only time I’d worry about the pirates, is matty. It is, after all, pirate country out on the island. 

We used to do a lot of evening fish, night gig, attempt to nap, then hit the bay again in AM trips. There are windows in Oct and December you can make it work alright, but the rest of the year, oof. But was always pretty fun, and definitely memorable.  The air fields make convenient spots to camp, but are also snake havens when the Wx is enjoyable.   Once I was old enough to have a boat capable of this, I had made fire a with houses up and down the coast, which would also be a cool trip to try and plan.  

15 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Having camped on Matagorda island many times after days of fishing (as a yoot), I can unequivocally tell you that the camping would be the most miserable part.   Even in the easy spots like the air fields, just miserable sleeping with the rattlesnakes, mesquitos, and pirates.  Some of the locals that live in those shacks are worse than the rattlers.  But fun to remember those times. 

3 hours ago, troph said:

Just for the record I think tent camping anywhere at near 50 years old is miserable even if fishing is the reason. 

Yep, I've camped many, many times from Matagorda down to Port Mansfield.  It was tolerable when I was young but now it's just a beating, particularly when you have to haul everything in and out like on PINS.  Also slept in my truck numerous times overnight on Matagorda and at Oyster Lake, sometimes in freezing ass weather.  These days I am all about a VRBO or cheap hotel room.  If you HAVE to sleep on the beach, a tent-cot is the way to do it.  @troph your brother knows it’s a beating even when you’re youngish, if you drink too much.  I’ll never forget him waking up that morning realizing his prized custom rods had been eaten by the surf.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...