Tom Herman Fired as UT Football Coach

texifornia

On 1/16/2021 at 12:16 AM, Surly Bevo said:

I seem to recall that it was reported after the first team meeting Tom had when he was hired he said things to the effect of “you guys are the reason the other guy is gone and I’m here”.

I don’t recall talk of him lighting specific players up in that encounter but guess that is possible and my “quote” above is how that first encounter was sanitized to be presented to the masses.

The quote was along the lines of "you guys just got your last coach fired."

20 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Sound quality sucks. Didn't get passed 2 minutes.  Anything news-worthy?

Where did they film this, in a cave? Horrible acoustics. I watched most of it and maybe caught 80% of what was said.

John Burt talked too much.

Guys thought they were almost "there", meaning they were almost there to greatness.

JP is not a fan of Herman. Said it would different if they played for a coach they respected, or somesuch. Burt and others brought up distractions to the season, Covid, social justice, etc, JP said Bama and tOSU had same distractions and were fine. The difference was those teams played for their head coach also, instead of just for themselves which is what it sounded Texas was doing.

Herman came in hot, put players in bullshit mental stress.

Burt thought Herman was fired too early. Others seem to agree.

Also they maybe all agreed that Urban rumors after TCU lost was a distraction, which may have lead to team not playing for Herman since they didn't think he would be there.

Did I mention that the acoustics fucking blew?

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

10 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Where did they film this, in a cave? Horrible acoustics. I watched most of it and maybe caught 80% of what was said.

John Burt talked too much.

Guys thought they were almost "there", meaning they were almost there to greatness.

JP is not a fan of Herman. Said it would different if they played for a coach they respected, or somesuch. Burt and others brought up distractions to the season, Covid, social justice, etc, JP said Bama and tOSU had same distractions and were fine. The difference was those teams played for their head coach also, instead of just for themselves which is what it sounded Texas was doing.

Herman came in hot, put players in bullshit mental stress.

Burt thought Herman was fired too early. Others seem to agree.

Also they maybe all agreed that Urban rumors after TCU lost was a distraction, which may have lead to team not playing for Herman since they didn't think he would be there.

Did I mention that the acoustics fucking blew?

Pos rep for watching this so I didn’t have to. 

18 days now and still like the thread title. 

I can see how the players might think a coach (Charlie or name not to be mentioned) was fired too early. However, from the "overhead view" (be it right or wrong) It looked like the air was going out of the program. And it wasn't like it had been running at wide open throttle for some time. Three more years with (name not to be mentioned) would have put this thing back in the ditch it was in with Charlie here. 

As for the events of the off season, if you really care about your people and take care of them, do you really need marches and koombyah campfires to tell them? I don't think so. I think that was a big difference between programs where the coach actually builds a relationship with his players and what we have had the last 4 seasons.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/19/2021 at 10:01 AM, Machinator said:

Some former players talk about the Herman experience and their thoughts on the coaching transition(s).

So at the very end it becomes clear that Tom Herman didn't only throw his players under the bus but called out his coaches in front of his players for inconsistency. These players thought that was being tough but what they don't understand is that it was Herman's job to make sure his coaches were good hires that worked under a process that made them consistent. He failed to put his coaches in position to succeed and therefore put his players in a position to fail.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/15/2021 at 1:41 PM, CurlyDumps said:

Just his immaturity and lack of decorum maybe? Not sure I'd make the leap to he was drunk during in-homes. But I don't know shit so maybe.

Chippy B shared a story on his show once about Tom's first trip to the Austin Country Club(?). Instead of dressing for the occasion, he rolled up looking like a frat boy going to an Umphrey's show.  Eschewed the course dress code, showed up in a rumpled t-shirt and cargo shorts toting a six pack and a pregame buzz. 

I'm guessing that's one of many stories about Herman that left quite an impression.

Probably the first thing I've ever heard about him going back to UH days that has made him seem cool. 

13 hours ago, 927 E. 41st said:

Nobody is as desperate as we were when we needed to ditch Charlie, but give them time. 

FFS Herman was not a desperation hire. He was coach-in-waiting for over a year before we pulled the trigger. I stress this because if he was desperation hire, it would be more excusable, but our BMDs shut down any coaching search that might have started before it even got off the ground. They locked in on this asshole and then proceeded to ignore a North Korean patriotic rally-sized ocean of red flags during Herman's last year at UH.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, 927 E. 41st said:

Of course there was desperation. You describe it yourself, it is the nature of a desperation decision to ignore red flags. 

If Charlie would have been fired mid-season, as he should have been, then Mike would have had more time and more candidates to choose from.

I don’t think we were in a wallet war with LSU over a guy you would call a “desperation hire.” He was acknowledged as “the guy,” as in “the answer.”  

Were we desperate for “the answer?”  Yes.  Have been since Colt McCoy’s QB dive. But we hired Herman because virtually everyone thought he was the next great genius of CFB. 

To me the current coach seems more like a pure “desperation hire.”  We just wanted Herman gone, had to have him gone, needed him gone.  So hire somebody-anybody.  First guy not interested?  Hire the next guy. He’s not coming? Move down the list.  The goal is to have the 2021 coach be “not Tom Herman.”  

• Haha 1

We haven't had anyone go into retirement, substantially into broadcasting (the other usual 'victory lap' route), into the NFL, or to even a lateral program.  It's been almost a half-century of hiring coaches who have glimpses of glory, stay way too long, cost us way too much money, that go on to lesser programs which prove they never should have coached here to begin with (or at least not coached her as long as they did).  

I realize many other 'CFB Bluebood' programs suffer this same fate but it just seems like we pay so much more for the fuckup than most other elite schools.  

I agree we're a destination job, so we should hire like that.  Our last six went Purdue, reassignment within the athletic department, Arizona, North Carolina, South Florida, and probably an OC position at a big program.  My only point is that's indicative of something else wrong with the culture at our school.  We're paying out the fucking nose so that schools like USF can get a good look at their next head football coach.  

Anyway, I am genuinely curious to see where Herman ends up and what he'll make.  Hopefully his next employer won't read these threads about him because that will certainly effect how much he gets offered.  

Yeah, that's been the case for a long while around here.  It'll be nice to see guys like Eddie Reese and Jared Elliott go out on top and retire here after ridiculous success.  

Mick Haley left our volleyball program to coach the Olympics and then at USC where he had incredible success with 6 final fours and two titles.  But that's certainly the exception.  And we've always just had better coaches top-to-bottom on the women's side...at least as long as I've been following UT athletics.  

Speaking of premier coaches leaving here, what's Karen Aston up to these days?  I see she's still on our payroll, WTF? 

22 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, that's been the case for a long while around here.  It'll be nice to see guys like Eddie Reese and Jared Elliott go out on top and retire here after ridiculous success.  

Mick Haley left our volleyball program to coach the Olympics and then at USC where he had incredible success with 6 final fours and two titles.  But that's certainly the exception.  And we've always just had better coaches top-to-bottom on the women's side...at least as long as I've been following UT athletics.  

Speaking of premier coaches leaving here, what's Karen Aston up to these days?  I see she's still on our payroll, WTF? 

Yeah, and I think USC was probably a better job back then?

I think both programs were still young (obviously with the AIAW shift), but were probably comparable.  But he made Texas from great to elite and then Elliott took us up a notch from there to the perennial Final 4 contender we know today.  Haley had national team success and then turns USC from great to elite as well.  

It seems like we've been washing through women's basketball, softball, and soccer coaches for a long time here without much success.  T&F, S&D, and Crew are stable and successful though.  Which is nice.  

Meanwhile, Pearce, Smart, and Sark could all win Big XII titles this year if I'm realistic.  And all three could be shitcanned within the next 3 years.  It could go either way.  I guess we're all just craving consistency without all the complacency that we're still cleaning up. 

2 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I don’t think we were in a wallet war with LSU over a guy you would call a “desperation hire.” He was acknowledged as “the guy,” as in “the answer.”  

Were we desperate for “the answer?”  Yes.  Have been since Colt McCoy’s QB dive. But we hired Herman because virtually everyone thought he was the next great genius of CFB. 

To me the current coach seems more like a pure “desperation hire.”  We just wanted Herman gone, had to have him gone, needed him gone.  So hire somebody-anybody.  First guy not interested?  Hire the next guy. He’s not coming? Move down the list.  The goal is to have the 2021 coach be “not Tom Herman.”  

Well, I'm sure it depends on individual perspective but were we not ,generally speaking, at least as desperate to get rid of Charlie? I know I was. And as glad as I am that "he who will not be named" is gone, at least he was better than Charlie.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, 927 E. 41st said:

Well, I'm sure it depends on individual perspective but were we not ,generally speaking, at least as desperate to get rid of Charlie? I know I was. And as glad as I am that "he who will not be named" is gone, at least he was better than Charlie.

It's the difference between getting out of a relationship with a good person who just isn't pulling their weight and getting out of a relationship with a Grade-A narcissist.  Charlie shouldn't be a head coach, but I like the guy and wish him well.  With Tom, the results just weren't worth all the bullshit.  He could still develop into a winning head coach somewhere else, but he'll always be a dick.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

When I'm sad, I just look at this headline and it makes me feel better. What a total shit show he was. A complete fucking moron and fuck up. Goodbye, good riddance, and go fuck yourself. 

When you are sad it is easier to just watch this, but to each their own

40.gif

Edited by Laxtonto
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, XYZ said:

I just saw a headline that said “analytics may have been the downfall of bills, packers” and my first thought was “and turtle tom”.

That doesn't even make sense. The Bucs probably made the more analytically sound moves in that game, in particular going for it on 4th and 3 right before halftime.

• Hook 'Em 1