Tom Herman Fired as UT Football Coach

texifornia

17 minutes ago, VaLonghorn99 said:

Happy to see Herman go. He was failing at basic game time decisions and not developing players. Didn't know much about the new guy until I read the first few pages of this thread. I am not against second chances. 'Bama has been dominant for more than a decade so hoping for the best. We got so much talent that some basic competent coaching should at least keep us in top 15. If Sark after dark is out to redeem himself then maybe this turns out to be great. I am just hopeful because of the change.

This is the same shit we heard when Akers was fired.

Herman's definitely not perfect, but he's not that bad.  Kirby makes some of those dumb decisions and he was a long pass away from an MNC.

1 hour ago, PatSolitanojr said:

Donors are not shelling out 25 million to replace Tom with a failed alcoholic head coach. And if they did, they would not be announcing it right before the new head coach has to coach in the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. 

Tom Herman was hired and announced as UH’s coach before tOSU played in the championship game. He coached that game while building a staff and recruiting for UH. It is not unprecedented for it to happen.

Edited by Macklemore

1 minute ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

No...but he did hear Herman got fired.

LOL. Works for me. He's finally figured out his ass isn't safe, which is fine. He's utilizing his talent finally and maybe for a change we can get our 5* kids to do what they were recruited to do. 

Speaking of which, any news on that kid that was leaning Texas and then Oklahoma?

• Hook 'Em 1

If Sark needs a driver I'm available.   I'm certain Saban wouldn't have him on the staff if he was still guzzling down the booze.  So I give the benefit of the doubt to Sark.  If Sark hasn't been drinking while working under Saban more power to him.  God knows if I worked for Saban my liver would opt out.

5 minutes ago, bullet said:

I wasn't complaining about Hermann.  He needed one more year to show he could do it.  Or for Urban Meyer to want to come.  Not for some drunk mediocre OC to replace him.

I remember people like you being so happy Akers was gone--for McWilliams.  It took us 15 years to recover from that mistake.  And so happy Mack was replaced by Strong.  Guess what?  Mack is in a NY6 game with a basketball school.  And we are on our 3rd coach.

You cannot describe the situation in hindsight.  Were you actually around when the Freedom Bowl Massacre happened?  I lived in Austin at the time, and revisited this the other day.  The team voted to NOT go to the bowl game and the AD decided to go anyway.  Akers could not persuade the players to give a shit about the game.  The score was 55-17 in the third quarter.  Anybody who cared about Texas football enough to pay attention knew at the time that Fred had lost the team.  We had to wait TWO full years to let Fred go.  I saw many aggy cars shoepolished "Keep Fred"  before the 1986 aggy game, that we knew we would lose.  Fred was a good man, but he was long overdue to be let go.  

There was no way anybody could predict in 1986 that there would be a one-person coaching search.  Just like today, at least the first half of the equation was 100% correct.  The good news is the decision-makers have accelerated their decisions.  After spending two years too long with Fred, we spent much less extra time with Herm.  I personally did not feel like Herm needed to be fired until the 'Sam all by himself singing the eyes' event occurred after OU.  Imo he should have been fired after our last regular season game.  I don't think you fire a coach mid-season unless there are incredibly rare extenuating circumstances.  So, by that standard we only held onto Tom about 3-4 weeks too long.  This is a major improvement.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PatSolitanojr said:

Donors are not shelling out 25 million to replace Tom with a failed alcoholic head coach. And if they did, they would not be announcing it right before the new head coach has to coach in the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. 

Except they are.

It's just possible the decision makers know more than you. It's just possible they realize we're not getting Urban fucking Meyer, and that Brian Kelly isn't making a lateral move from Notre Dame to Texas. It's just possible that Sarkisian is one hell of a recruiter and football coach when sober. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

All this alcoholic talk....something called recovery isn’t possible. No...never. It’s 2021, as someone in recovery, start believing that one someone can get ahold of their demons, they are a strong and special kind of person. Talk about the coaching all you want but he’s about to win the broyles award and that doesn’t go to the biggest drunk. Yeah I’m not super pumped but disappointed to see all this “he’s a drunk” talk with all the people in recovery or SHOULD be in recovery on this very board. 

There is the possibility that Steve Sarkisian has become the best version of himself yet to be seen.  It's a very real possibility.

But so is relapse.

I would assume that Saban put in place exactly the kind of support Sark needed and we would do the same.

18 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Texas is never going to be happy with shitty coaching decisions, shitty personnel rotations and stank ass attitude. No respectable school should be. Why is that so hard for these 'experts' to understand? We're not mad because TH doesn't have 4 straight conference titles(or National titles). We're mad because he didn't put in the work necessary to compete for those things. Fuck, it's not rocket science.

Herman was a very young head coach without much experience at all when you hired him. If you're going to hire that guy you need to groom him and give him time without expecting greatness within four years. Texas is great at doing everything to sabotage its own goals with sheer impatience and hubris. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 14

13 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Sounds like what you're looking for is a Fire del Conte, Fire Hartzell, Fire Eltife thread, then. He's right that it doesn't make sense and it's a stupid thing that the board shouldn't do anymore.

I was thinking of starting a “Burn it All Down” thread. Do I have your blessing?

16 minutes ago, Hairy Biped said:

For fuck's sake, Sark's Head Coaching record is 46-35.  That's a fucking terrible resume for a stress-filled, top job like Texas.  Add to that, his very questionable past, there is nothing to like about hiring Sark.  Who cares what he did as OC at Bama?  We're aren't hiring that position yet.  The best indicator of future performance is past performance, and Sark's past performance has been horrible.  That said, this move is right in line with how Texas handles these things.  Got lucky with DKR and Mack and have struck out with every other hire in the modern era.  Why should this one be any different?  If true, I hate this hire. 

Unless you have a blank slate like McWilliams who wasn't ready for the big time, their history always shows.

Mackovic would somehow win a big game and lose a bunch of winnable games.  Have a good season and a mediocre season.  Hit it off with the wine and cheese crowd and miss with the beer crowd.  We know that from his previous stops.

Mack would lose his big regular season games and win his bowls.  He was always just short.  He was a great recruiter, did a pretty good job with assistants, but wasn't that good a game day coach.  We know that from UNC.

Charley Strong had a tendency to lose games he shouldn't.  Maybe we didn't know just how bad he was.

Tom Hermann got his team ready for big games, but sometimes lost to an SMU or TCU.  

Every one of them continued in the same patterns here.  And Mack and Tom had better previous patterns than Sark.  So we've got a Mackovic who will hit it off with the wine crowd, the beer crowd and maybe continue right up to game time.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

All this alcoholic talk....something called recovery isn’t possible. No...never. It’s 2021, as someone in recovery, start believing that one someone can get ahold of their demons, they are a strong and special kind of person. Talk about the coaching all you want but he’s about to win the broyles award and that doesn’t go to the biggest drunk. Yeah I’m not super pumped but disappointed to see all this “he’s a drunk” talk with all the people in recovery or SHOULD be in recovery on this very board. 

I don’t think anyone is rooting against Sark and I’m sure we are hoping that he can stay the path to sobriety but the HC job at Texas is very stressful. No doubt working under Saban has its pressures but nothing like being the “man” to bring UT football back to redemption pressure. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

There is the possibility that Steve Sarkisian has become the best version of himself yet to be seen.  It's a very real possibility.

But so is relapse.

I would assume that Saban put in place exactly the kind of support Sark needed and we would do the same.

As a Tech fan who watched the Billie Gillespie implosion close up, I really hope this is true.  UT football is not the job for someone who can't deal with pressure in a healthy way.

28 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Holy grammar fuckery, Batman

Brando is a piece of shit and should never be allowed to call our games.

3 minutes ago, runthebone said:

All we know for sure is that Herman is finally fucking fired and that Chip Brown and Tim Brando are worthless pieces of shit.

Two of those we knew before today.

1 minute ago, SimkinsMan said:

Except they are.

It's just possible the decision makers know more than you. It's just possible they realize we're not getting Urban fucking Meyer, and that Brian Kelly isn't making a lateral move from Notre Dame to Texas. It's just possible that Sarkisian is one hell of a recruiter and football coach when sober. 

It’s possible that his last head coaching job ended because he was coaching games drunk. I don’t care how you want to rationalize it. This is a huge roll of the dice that could set us back another decade. 

12 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Well so far I’m liking all the names you’ve been throwing out as possible position coaches. Hopefully he really does put together this kind of a coaching staff. 

Oh you like Mike Stoops?

2 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

Herman was a very young head coach without much experience at all when you hired him. If you're going to hire that guy you need to groom him and give him time without expecting greatness within four years. Texas is great at doing everything to sabotage its own goals with sheer impatience and hubris. 

Paging @RGBIII for salt gif. 

• Hook 'Em 1