Tom Herman Fired as UT Football Coach

texifornia

Shut the hell up, Joey Galloway.  If this was Ohio State you'd have the opposite view.

Edit:  Basically saying it's unfortunately that college football doesn't give coaches 5 years, it can take a long time, blah blah blah.

He's just another ESPN phony paid to take bogus positions just so they can use the worn out talk show trolling format of one hot take for, one hot take against.

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Fuck Tim Brando.

I'm tired of these S-E-C-loving media honks acting like Texas is so out of the fucking ordinary for expecting 5 million dollar coaches not to lose to TCU and Maryland.  It stinks of negative recruiting, trying to make our job look like more trouble than it's worth.  As if LSU and Florida fans would put up with the shitshow we've had going for 11 years?

Fuck alla y'all then.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, PatSolitanojr said:

It’s possible that his last head coaching job ended because he was coaching games drunk. I don’t care how you want to rationalize it. This is a huge roll of the dice that could set us back another decade. 

Maybe coaching football is like shooting pool.  I always play pool better with a buzz.

3 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Shut the hell up, Joey Galloway.  If this was Ohio State you'd have the opposite view.

Edit:  Basically saying it's unfortunately that college football doesn't give coaches 5 years, it can take a long time, blah blah blah.

Charlie Strong didn’t get long either....haha kiss my fat ass.

11 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Tom Herman was hired and announced as UH’s coach before tOSU played in the championship game. He coached that game while building a staff and recruiting for UH. It is not unprecedented for it to happen.

It happens quite a bit actually. Which is why the Urban(it's a secret) thing turned out to be so silly. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

and you want to keep Herman who has razzle dazzle'd you with an Alamo Bowl win (again) thinking he finally gets it right?  The risk just wasn't worth it anymore.  Recruiting for 22 is looking to be worse than in 21 with him still manning the team.  And fuck Mack.. he had to get away for a few years to understand that he needed to change..he wasn't going to see the light if he had stayed another 10 years here..  

Well Mack had gotten complacent.  It was time.  Strong was just wrong.

Hermann hasn't gotten complacent.

Recruiting is the valid argument.  But we had horrible recruiting for 3 years when Hermann came in.  We were ranked in the 20s in recruiting and we lost some of our best or they became John Burts.  21 isn't Texas level recruiting, but its not bad.  We need to win like Mack did in his prime.

4 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

He's just another ESPN phony paid to take bogus positions just so they can use the worn out talk show trolling format of one hot take for, one hot take against.

The assholes also leave out that coaches at big time programs are paid multimillion dollar guaranteed contracts to not fucking lose.

9 minutes ago, PatSolitanojr said:

It’s possible that his last head coaching job ended because he was coaching games drunk. I don’t care how you want to rationalize it. This is a huge roll of the dice that could set us back another decade. 

I'm pretty sure we agree -- it is a huge roll of the dice. I guess I'm desperate enough to see Herman gone that I'm willing to roll the dice on a plus recruiter who has had consistently inventive offenses. Hopefully the adults leading the coaching search have assured themselves that he's not going to be coaching games drunk any further.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

Herman was a very young head coach without much experience at all when you hired him. If you're going to hire that guy you need to groom him and give him time without expecting greatness within four years. Texas is great at doing everything to sabotage its own goals with sheer impatience and hubris. 

Yes yes you made this point months ago when you told us we should be happy playing for the conference title we failed to get to.

I am onboard with patience when there is learning, development, and progress being made but that wasn't the case.

But I guess if you just make the same post a few more dozen times for a few months you will eventually...what? Win whatever prize you are trying to win.

As for hubris and impatience, well that has been the character of Texas for 180 years. I don't see how being what we have always been ruins a legacy already built on hubris and impatience.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, bullet said:

21 isn't Texas level recruiting, but its not bad.  We need to win like Mack did in his prime.

The defensive side was good but the Offensive side was really, really shaky.  Really bad.  And keeping Herman would have led to a terrible 2022 class as well.  Short of Urban, there was no slam dunk replacement, but a change was absolutely needed.  The one area I'm most hopeful with Sark is on the recruiting front.  If he is a disaster here and we're looking for a new coach in 4 years yet again, at least hopefully he'll be able to keep the talent level up for Traylor to take the reigns.  

1 minute ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Herman was 32-18 at Texas. He sucked. He got paid a shit ton of money and his teams won 64% of their games. He failed.

I agree. I was addressing Brando's point about how since we didn't love Charlie Strong and non-2018 Tom Herman we were never going to be happy with anybody.

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

If Chip Brown is reporting it's Sark, and there's also media out there reporting he turned the job down, don't you have to go with the latter?

Feldman is reporting he hasn't turned it down, and he is pretty good.

If you're relying on Brando for any actual news, you're doing it wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

You cannot describe the situation in hindsight.  Were you actually around when the Freedom Bowl Massacre happened?  I lived in Austin at the time, and revisited this the other day.  The team voted to NOT go to the bowl game and the AD decided to go anyway.  Akers could not persuade the players to give a shit about the game.  The score was 55-17 in the third quarter.  Anybody who cared about Texas football enough to pay attention knew at the time that Fred had lost the team.  We had to wait TWO full years to let Fred go.  I saw many aggy cars shoepolished "Keep Fred"  before the 1986 aggy game, that we knew we would lose.  Fred was a good man, but he was long overdue to be let go.  

There was no way anybody could predict in 1986 that there would be a one-person coaching search.  Just like today, at least the first half of the equation was 100% correct.  The good news is the decision-makers have accelerated their decisions.  After spending two years too long with Fred, we spent much less extra time with Herm.  I personally did not feel like Herm needed to be fired until the 'Sam all by himself singing the eyes' event occurred after OU.  Imo he should have been fired after our last regular season game.  I don't think you fire a coach mid-season unless there are incredibly rare extenuating circumstances.  So, by that standard we only held onto Tom about 3-4 weeks too long.  This is a major improvement.  

I remember that game.

I remember a lot of bowls.  Texas players never cared if it wasn't the Cotton Bowl.  At least we had that mentality then that championships were our standard.

Now while I was around, I wasn't old enough to remember when people were lining up to fire DKR after 3 straight 6-4 seasons just before the greatest run in UT history.  Not that I would expect that from Hermann, but I expect him to contend for a conference championship.  Sark--the last thing I expect is consistency.

Mack took 8 years to win a title and 4 years to win 10 games and Mackovic didn't leave the cupboard as bare as Strong.

If Chip Brown is reporting it's Sark, and there's also media out there reporting he turned the job down, don't you have to go with the latter?
Feldman is reporting he hasn't turned it down, and he is pretty good.

Pollack and Brando have no sources at either Bama or Texas.

FCB will write whatever info you give him, and it appears this is what he’s been given, and it’s being confirmed by others.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SimkinsMan said:

If you're relying on Brando for any actual news, you're doing it wrong. 

Well, I'm not. It was more of a dig at Chip Brown. IT and Feldman are reporting it's Sark and I'd trust them more than others. Chip Brown vs Brando is like the OU vs aggy of CFB media.