Tom Herman Fired as UT Football Coach

texifornia

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

The no guns policy was one of his biggest failings as a head coach. We have plenty of data pointing to guns around the locker room resulting in national championship caliber teams. Just look at OU under Switzer, the Mack glory years, UF under Urban. 

Charlie should have known better. 

Shit Urban had an honest to God serial killer - look what that did for him. They ought to hand out guns not ban them. 

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

Maybe Flood?

It sucks but it is what it is. The number of coaches Bama has lost over the last 14 years could probably fill up 3 to 4 coaching staffs. Saban just plugs in the next. The real problem is when no other team wants your coaches.

Texas Fans know all about that with Gerg "2-yard out" Davis

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

Well hopefully the millions of dollars we paid him make up for it.

He wouldn't have much room to talk after taking this job before the season was over at Houston anyway.

I don't get your point here. This is all perfectly standard in every coaches career, in no way did we treat him badly. He was well compensated and will have a new job soon.

I'm saying after cutting out his knees like that there was no chance to bring him back and you got turned down by Meyer so you had to turn to someone. This was either the best you could get to accept or who the rich donors who apparently make the decisions think is the best for the job. Either way a guy who's failed at multiple places doesn't strike me as a great hire but the one chance he has is Casey Thompson has legit NFL tools and Robinson looks like a future NFL first round pick even as a running back. Either he will utilize those talents to start winning and get a perpetual motion of success rolling, or he'll completely waste two of the best looking quarterback /running backs in the country. 

Herman came out looking like a rose in all of this. Publicly got his knees cut out by an AD that looks inept then afterwards went out and won the bowl game in blowout fashion before being sent away with a 34-18 or so record and the 15 million dollar parting gift. If he's half the asshole you all make him out to be your university found a way to make him look sympathetic and wronged. He'll be hired as soon as he wants elsewhere. 

Edited by Wanker Bob
  • Fuck You 11

55 minutes ago, Stunns38 said:

If Urban was never in the equation then the fan base would have been more excited...but not elated like an Urban hire would have been.

Most fans weren't nearly as tied to or aware of Urban as Surly was. Most fans also see Alabama OC and think it's good. Or alcoholic and think bad.

• Hook 'Em 1

i'm interested to see what an actual offensive mind can do here.

as long as most of the passes aren't sideways, to a receiver who's standing still and facing the wrong direction, i'm happy.

also on 4th and a foot, with a mobile qb, maybe don't run the shotgun option to the short side of the field.

i don't ask for much.

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, he's got some growing to do, but could do it.  This is actually probably a huge step for him (being fired) if he takes lessons from it.

He can head to the coaching rehab program in Tuscaloosa. Saban would humble the shit out of his arrogant ass 

• Hook 'Em 2

i'm interested to see what an actual offensive mind can do here.
as long as most of the passes aren't sideways, to a receiver who's standing still and facing the wrong direction, i'm happy.
also on 4th and a foot, with a mobile qb, maybe don't run the shotgun option to the short side of the field.
i don't ask for much.

Clearly you aren’t a member of mensa.

Herman's going to have to live with the fact that he fucked around for three plus years before he figured out how to put together a decent running attack. What we saw in the last two games coulda been the norm by now and TH would be a king. He missed the greatest opportunity he will ever have to fame and fortune. Okay, well, he got the fortune down pretty well.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Okay, talk to the BMDs and various insiders on this here board on their opinion on CDC. He literally put himself in a position to be tethered to a reclamation project that has flamed out at a very comparable school, and was a disaster in the NFL. I don’t put a lot of stock into his Falcons gig because what he is competent at isn’t necessarily translatable to the NFL. I question why he went there in the first place. I question how successful he’ll be outside the whip that Saban brandishes. I think he can be a good to great head coach someday. I just question why CDC would combine alienating BMDs with hitching his wagon to this guy. He just made himself a target if Sark doesn’t work out. 

I don’t like that we let the situation with Herman fester all year. If you’re going to drag out shit with your team, fans and BMDs, you don’t lift the veil and show Sark. This entire situation would have been handled with more decisiveness had we axed him after OU or ISU. You’re not not getting Sark by doing that. Instead he had that clownish press release about Herman when CDC knew he was gone at that point, and it didn’t help shore up NSD 1 and in fact I think the indecisiveness or stubborn refusal to deviate from waiting until the end of the season irreparably hurt recruiting for this transition year. 

In short, again, CDC is a fucking idiot until proven otherwise. He could have a lot of foresight into Sark and really believe in him. But, there will be a significant amount of luck involved in CDC’s long term future here, and that’s not what you want to see out of a rainmaker AD. At the time of Sark’s hire, this is a bad hire, particularly with the way the last two months have played out. 

There was only one realistic non-bad hire. He didn't want the job.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

That’s OK. You’ve said too much already. 

Fair. I was actually hoping you guys would get Meyer. College football is better when you and USC are good. I think everyone's pretty tired of this Alabama/Clemson/Ohio State/Oklahoma regional bullshit year after year. Sark was a highly respected coach at one point. Everyone deserves a second chance.

51 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I wonder how Michelle is handing this. No tweets or calling into local sports radio yet  

She probably snuck mini liquor bottles all over Tom’s old office to set Sark up. Crazy bitch. 

She’s still in the basement with the money counters 

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

I'm glad Tom is gone. I don't have the same hate for him as the surliest on here, but it was pretty clear he wasn't the guy after last season.

I think all of the realistic candidates were gambles in various ways. It's going to be interesting to see how things turn out.

11.gif.02309247dfbc41f10379fc2ebb2db1ae.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

What all the whiners here are not accounting for is the fact that CDC is a goddamn professional.  There is no way he makes this hire with getting comfortable with where Sark is in his recovery.

I will believe in Del Conte until he gives me reason not to.  So far, he hasn't come close to that.

Have you considered Sark was a mediocre HC with an issue with alcohol opposed to he was a mediocre HC because of an issue with alcohol? 

14 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I'm glad Tom is gone. I don't have the same hate for him as the surliest on here, but it was pretty clear he wasn't the guy after last season.

I think all of the realistic candidates were gambles in various ways. It's going to be interesting to see how things turn out.

Wait...when did you get back?

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, he's got some growing to do, but could do it.  This is actually probably a huge step for him (being fired) if he takes lessons from it.

So we will find out if CTJ is right in his narcissist diagnosis. If he is he can’t/won’t change. If he’s actually intelligent and just an asshole he can reflect and learn. 

15 minutes ago, Machinator said:

You’re too sane fir Surly bud. 😳

To suggest a “deep dive” on his likelihood to relapse is kind of stupid.  Just how would one do that ?  We know what the warning signs are, but have no clue as to predicting who will or won’t relapse in the presence of those signs.  As we like to say, I’m closer to my next drink than my last.  I’ve been sober for over 10 years and have had my share of total fuck ups while drinking.  Each time I relapsed, I thought I had it under control.  You never do, you just manage it far better, know your warning sides and lose the ego to find a little sanity.  Stress, anxiety and loss - all huge warning signs.  All this time he’s been sober, his disease has been right out there in the parking lot, just outside his office, doing push ups and getting stronger every day.....just waiting.

Being a fellow drunk, I wish him well and hope this isn’t setting him up to lose his sobriety.  Can’t believe they took the chance. I doubt corporate America would be quite so trusting in such a position.  They sure haven’t been in my profession and it’s been ten years.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Wanker Bob said:

Why? He's the best thing about that mostly shit coaching staff. He's made chicken salad with the ghost of Andy Dalton and none or 1 starting caliber offensive linemen in many games

Mostly because he’s Jerry’s pet now. The offense has had a ton of issues this year and not really due to playcalling. But the previous year I thought it was way too pass happy. I’m not taking much from this year with all the injuries.

54 minutes ago, Bluemoon3287 said:

To suggest a “deep dive” on his likelihood to relapse is kind of stupid.  Just how would one do that ?  We know what the warning signs are, but have no clue as to predicting who will or won’t relapse in the presence of those signs.  As we like to say, I’m closer to my next drink than my last.  I’ve been sober for over 10 years and have had my share of total fuck ups while drinking.  Each time I relapsed, I thought I had it under control.  You never do, you just manage it far better, know your warning sides and lose the ego to find a little sanity.  Stress, anxiety and loss - all huge warning signs.  All this time he’s been sober, his disease has been right out there in the parking lot, just outside his office, doing push ups and getting stronger every day.....just waiting.

Being a fellow drunk, I wish him well and hope this isn’t setting him up to lose his sobriety.  Can’t believe they took the chance. I doubt corporate America would be quite so trusting in such a position.  They sure haven’t been in my profession and it’s been ten years.

Bill W says Hi 🤘🏼😎

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

Mostly because he’s Jerry’s pet now. The offense has had a ton of issues this year and not really due to playcalling. But the previous year I thought it was way too pass happy. I’m not taking much from this year with all the injuries.

Yeah losing your QB, RT, LT, RG for a few games, center for a few games, starting TE, and being saddled with a lazy ass overpaid running back living off 2016 has a tendency to make the offense bad. Then throw in their defense is among the worst in the game. 

Moore has worked miracles to get them to as good as they have been. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1