Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

Here is the latest from the spreadsheet.

image.thumb.png.de3ea849e45fd7f005a73794a67d5b0d.png

As you can see the possible targets are all very good coaches and IMO if we land any combination of them I think this will be the best staff we've had since early to mid 00s and even back to DKR or early Akers days. The only questionable people on the list would be John Glenn, Valai and Akina IMO.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 5

13 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

I keep seeing people thinking Muschamp to UGA? Are they looking to make a change on defense? Didn’t think that was a problem for them this year under Dan Lanning. 

As an analyst. His son is there. 

Get his buyout paid, lower stress for a year, get some family time in.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

I keep seeing people thinking Muschamp to UGA? Are they looking to make a change on defense? Didn’t think that was a problem for them this year under Dan Lanning. 

I think the story is that Muschamp is going there as an analyst and that he would eventually be expected to get the DC job - either by Lanning leaving or getting pushed out.  I don't know how legit the story is - but I have seen more than a few 'reporters' mention that Muschamp would likely be DC there at some point.

10 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Here is the latest from the spreadsheet.
image.thumb.png.1c98619d01a915f6e3d911bae8e8828c.png

As you can see the possible targets are all very good coaches and IMO if we land any combination of them I think this will be the best staff we've had since early to mid 00s and even back to DKR or early Akers days.

Has anybody reported anything about Sark reaching out to Brewster? Hell, do we need a separate TE coach for his offense? 

Edited by Bevo14

Muschamp to Ga as an analyst makes less sense to me because that is something he would have already thought about and decided on before considering the DC role at Texas.

After hearing CDC and Sark talk about how excited they were about the staff coming, it was obvious they had the coordinators identified. Now we hear of Sark interviewing several other DC’s. That would only happen if the planned choice did a u turn. That’s why I’m thinking it could be Alabama, especially since we heard there was a bidding war, and we heard Saban is potentially booting out his DC or losing him. 

27 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Muschamp to Ga as an analyst makes less sense to me because that is something he would have already thought about and decided on before considering the DC role at Texas.

After hearing CDC and Sark talk about how excited they were about the staff coming, it was obvious they had the coordinators identified. Now we hear of Sark interviewing several other DC’s. That would only happen if the planned choice did a u turn. That’s why I’m thinking it could be Alabama, especially since we heard there was a bidding war, and we heard Saban is potentially booting out his DC or losing him. 

Saban has viewed Golding as his next Muschamp/Kirby Smart type protege. I didn’t even ask him when I caught with a buddy working in the Saban regime, but I’ll text to see if something has changed this year. 

The truth is probably more simple. Sarkisian has his guy, whoever that is, and he’ll be here as soon as loose ends are tied up ... or interviewing some of the top names has always been a part of the plan for that side of the ball. 

25 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Not really.

There hasn't been much actual discussion on the following positions; OL, WR, TE, LB and S&C. 

I don’t think the depths have been plumbed for any assistant yet, but certainly WR has been discussed far more than the other spots you mentioned. There’s also been almost no discussion about CB besides a few missives on Raymond and Valai. As well, however the staff on the DL will be configured and who it will be almost looks like we’re trying to avoid the discussion on the boards. 

Everytime we have a coaching search, it’s almost like a rite of passage that Tim Brewster gets brought up and gets the recruitniks excited for a hot minute.  Not this time for me. I hope that fucker is retired by the next time one of these searches happens at Texas. 

Edited by closetojumping
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Regardless of how this staff ultimately shakes out. Horn fans should be excited that we will be led on the field by a coach who wants to wreck shop, not just survive four quarters. “All gas, no brakes” is music to my ears after watching turtle Tom shut things down with a 10 point lead in the 2nd qtr.

Yup. 

That lone win to blowU should've been a fucking blowout. Stupid fuck "doesn't believe" in momentum.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Regardless of how this staff ultimately shakes out. Horn fans should be excited that we will be led on the field by a coach who wants to wreck shop, not just survive four quarters. “All gas, no brakes” is music to my ears after watching turtle Tom shut things down with a 10 point lead in the 2nd qtr.

He just hasn't figured out how hard winning is yet.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Have they fixed the I-10 bridge in Baton Rouge yet?  I've wasted several hours of my life on that bridge.  One time I counted all chemical tanks and smokestacks.

I think so. Drove through on my way to New Orleans the week before Christmas. I may be wrong though.

34 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The truth is probably more simple. Sarkisian has his guy, whoever that is, and he’ll be here as soon as loose ends are tied up ... or interviewing some of the top names has always been a part of the plan for that side of the ball. 

I think both.  It's free consulting to keep interviews going whether you know who your guy is or not.    And the guys we are looking at can afford to wait and see what other opportunities pop.

Muschamp just went through some pretty shitty years after florida and south carolina. The idea that he would sign up to eat Saban's shit for the next 3 years and endure all that stress seems like a long shot to me. I could be way off base but his easiest path to redemption is back in the big 12 with the good guys. Will to Texas as soon as that contract shit is worked out, fight me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Muschamp just went through some pretty shitty years after florida and south carolina. The idea that he would sign up to eat Saban's shit for the next 3 years and endure all that stress seems like a long shot to me. I could be way off base but his easiest path to redemption is back in the big 12 with the good guys. Will to Texas as soon as that contract shit is worked out, fight me. 

Hope you're wrong, or at least your reasoning is.  If Muschamp would rather take the Texas DC job than an analyst job under Saban because the analyst job would be too stressful and the UT job would be an easier path, then I don't want him.  Fuck that pussy ass mentality shit.

10 minutes ago, victory88 said:

We should not lose coordinators or positions coaches to any schools.  It's time Texas reminds the college football world we have more money than anyone.  If Bama, ND, or UGA is targeting Muschamp, offer him 3.5 mil (1 mil more than Venables) to be the highest paid DC in the country and tell him to give you an answer right then and there.  If you want Jeff Banks, double his salary from Bama.  Make him say no.  We raised all of this money and got turned down by Urban.  Well what's stopping us from buying the country's best coordinators, position coaches, and support staff?  Let Sark manage the offense and let Will manage the defense.  We're going to have to buy our way to success.  I'm done with coaches that need to learn on the job.  Get the best guys, period.  If they say no, make them an offer they can't refuse.  It's time we pull our dick out and show how big it is.  Let's see if other athletic departments, boosters, and schools will shell out the money we will in a pandemic.  Fuck those schools... let's fucking go... 

#allgasnobrakes

X5AG4UHEHTR7UB5USM2T4H7LZA.gif

Edited by Landomatic
  • Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, victory88 said:

We should not lose coordinators or positions coaches to any schools.  It's time Texas reminds the college football world we have more money than anyone.  If Bama, ND, or UGA is targeting Muschamp, offer him 3.5 mil (1 mil more than Venables) to be the highest paid DC in the country and tell him to give you an answer right then and there.  If you want Jeff Banks, double his salary from Bama.  Make him say no.  We raised all of this money and got turned down by Urban.  Well what's stopping us from buying the country's best coordinators, position coaches, and support staff?  Let Sark manage the offense and let Will manage the defense.  We're going to have to buy our way to success.  I'm done with coaches that need to learn on the job.  Get the best guys, period.  If they say no, make them an offer they can't refuse.  It's time we pull our dick out and show how big it is.  Let's see if other athletic departments, boosters, and schools will shell out the money we will in a pandemic.  Fuck those schools... let's fucking go... 

#allgasnobrakes

BDE!

• Hook 'Em 3

#allgasnobrakes

giphy.gif

14 minutes ago, victory88 said:

#allgasnobrakes

clap please GIF

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, victory88 said:

#allgasnobrakes

I mean, the obvious answer is that the guys writing the checks were willing to write checks for Urban Meyer. Once you move on from a Ferrari to something less than that, well, price tags and expectations are adjusted accordingly. It's not like everyone venmo'd a bunch of money into a checking account a month ago and told Harztell and CDC to do what they do. This shit works on handshakes and trust. 

I signed a commitment letter to commit money to the AD. Actually signed something. And during covid, I talked to our AD contact and discussed whether we might need to defer a payment or extension. And he pretty more or less said "Yeah, man, I mean we can't actually make you pay anything, so...we understand. Do your best, we'll work something out if we need to..."

And I guarantee you no Boosters signed any piece of paper, be it simple or complex, committing them to monetary responsibility...especially BEFORE anyone was hired. And probably not ever. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, TexasRenegade said:

Was this before or after they did each other's hair?

Seriously?  You think Saban and Sark agreed on what free agent coaches Sark is allowed to chase?  Having some respect as to who he poaches from Sabans staff is one thing but there is no reason they would have any conversation about what coaches outside of Bama that he is allowed to hire?

You don’t think there was a moment where they bounced DC ideas around?  

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I mean, the obvious answer is that the guys writing the checks were willing to write checks for Urban Meyer. Once you move on from a Ferrari to something less than that, well, price tags and expectations are adjusted accordingly. It's not like everyone venmo'd a bunch of money into a checking account a month ago and told Harztell and CDC to do what they do. This shit works on handshakes and trust. 

I signed a commitment letter to commit money to the AD. Actually signed something. And during covid, I talked to him and discussed whether we might need to defer a payment or extension. And he pretty more or less said "Yeah, man, I mean we can't actually make you pay anything, so...we understand. Do your best, we'll work something out if we need to..."

And I guarantee you no Boosters signed any piece of paper, be it simple or complex, committing them to monetary responsibility...especially BEFORE anyone was hired. And probably not ever. 

Nice Humblebrag!

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, FloridaHorn said:

Nice Humblebrag!

Emphasis on Humble, believe me. But at least to some folks here, the fact I signed up for seats in the soon to be completed SEZ is a known subject. But yeah, you had to commit to a contribution to enter the seat lottery. I believe this was before the Sugar Bowl, so...yeah, Tom Herman fucked me harder than many here...if you call that a Humble Brag, well, I'm not sure we have the same definition. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

We have already found out the following about Surly posters

1. We are all "insiders" with BMDs for best friends and hunting buddies.

2. Everyone on here is a culinary wizard, capable for producing briskets that would make Aaron Franklin slit his own wrist.

3. No poster (Vic Mackey excluded) has ever fucked less than a 10...12 if you grade on a curve.

4. We are better talent evaluators than most of the free world, regardless of what we are evaluating.

5. Everyone (Futureman excluded) guaranteed Urban Meyer to Texas.

And now you want us to expose the lies about our dick size as well? Haven't we all suffered enough over the last 10 years?

Uh just to be clear, CTJ never guaranteed Urban to Texas and I was the sole non-troll in the Urban or Bust thread to actually state repeatedly that he said no and wasn’t coming. And at the same time I reveled in the greatness of the Urban or Bust thread praying I was dead wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Emphasis on Humble, believe me. But at least to some folks here, the fact I signed up for seats in the soon to be completed SEZ is a known subject. But yeah, you had to commit to a contribution to enter the seat lottery. I believe this was before the Sugar Bowl, so...yeah, Tom Herman fucked me harder than many here...if you call that a Humble Brag, well, I'm not sure we have the same definition. 

I almost fell victim to that commitment. Stuck with my LL seats and centennial club seats. Figured I’d buy a game or two in SEZ for the experience and still come out ahead. Good on you though. Know who to ask if you ever want to unload those seats for a game or two. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

We have already found out the following about Surly posters

1. We are all "insiders" with BMDs for best friends and hunting buddies.

2. Everyone on here is a culinary wizard, capable for producing briskets that would make Aaron Franklin slit his own wrist.

3. No poster (Vic Mackey excluded) has ever fucked less than a 10...12 if you grade on a curve.

4. We are better talent evaluators than most of the free world, regardless of what we are evaluating.

5. Everyone (Futureman excluded) guaranteed Urban Meyer to Texas.

And now you want us to expose the lies about our dick size as well? Haven't we all suffered enough over the last 10 years?

That’s all absolutely true for Surly as a crowd sourced entity.

By that token we’ve also worked for BMD for years and years, know their families or are members ourselves, have methed out bi-sex orgys, married the most fucking batshit crazy strippers, fucked our hot (pics provided), thirsty 20 something assistant while our marriage was on the outs, fucked our neighbors girlfriend, have open marriages, been and are alcoholics, smuggled gold across Europe, all while being hypocritical and judgmental moralists.

The value in all that is that crowd sourcing offers a merger of all those experiences and buried within all that shit is not only the answer you were looking for but also the question you never thought to ask. 

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, Okcool said:

I almost fell victim to that commitment. Stuck with my LL seats and centennial club seats. Figured I’d buy a game or two in SEZ for the experience and still come out ahead. Good on you though. Know who to ask if you ever want to unload those seats for a game or two. 

Awesome! We will definitely try to unload 1-2 a year, I'm sure. We didn't have any Season Tickets beforehand, so it seemed like a good opportunity. But I would be lying if I didn't think Texas was on the way up and it would be as much of an investment as it would be a chance to raise my son in the light of Burnt Orange. Too bad batting .500 doesn't seem great anywhere outside of baseball and chasing skirts and probably a few other things.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Second, Gideon’s hire is a nod to Texas football and its heritage and provides institutional knowledge to a staff unlikely to have much of it. With coaches Oscar Giles and Jay Boulware unlikely to return, Sarkisian still recognizes the need for institutional knowledge of the University and the state and he definitely gets that in Gideon. Remember, Gideon’s father, Steve, is a long-time Texas high school coach, so I’m not only talking about knowledge of the university but of the state’s all-important high school coaching fraternity.

Given the high marks Muschamp and others have bestowed on Gideon as a coach, and the background Gideon has playing at Texas and for a national championship, I feel like Sarkisian’s hire of Gideon was particularly astute.

I'm not pissing on the Gideon hire, but it seems like Bobby is inflating the value of his "institutional knowledge of the University and the state."  I get that he's the son of a high-school coach.  But how does that and four years as a player a decade ago translate into this valuable "institutional" knowledge?  Of course playing football for the Longhorns and being on staff are vastly different experiences, and most of his coaching experience has been in the SEC, with only one year in Texas (2019 on Holgo's Houston staff).  

If you're trying to hire coaches with this "institutional knowledge," I'm not sure Gideon brings the value that Bobby is touting. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

I'm not pissing on the Gideon hire, but it seems like Bobby is inflating the value of his "institutional knowledge of the University and the state."  I get that he's the son of a high-school coach.  But how does that and four years as a player a decade ago translate into this valuable "institutional" knowledge?  Of course playing football for the Longhorns and being on staff are vastly different experiences, and most of his coaching experience has been in the SEC, with only one year in Texas (2019 on Holgo's Houston staff).  

If you're trying to hire coaches with this "institutional knowledge," I'm not sure Gideon brings the value that Bobby is touting. 

yes that seems like bullshit. but clearly sark had other good reasons. I don’t see him making frivolous Hermanesque hires. He knows better. 

6 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Wondering if Blake will be a source for Bobby soon.

3 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Exactly. There almost no one in the athletic dept on the men’s side that was here when he played. Hell, even the Locker room is different. Gideon might know where the restrooms are located on the office level tho.

29 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I believe this was before the Sugar Bowl, so...yeah, Tom Herman fucked me harder than many here...if you call that a Humble Brag, well, I'm not sure we have the same definition. 

Does that make you and Kendra Scott eskimo siblings?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

9 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Exactly. There almost no one in the athletic dept on the men’s side that was here when he played. Hell, even the Locker room is different. Gideon might know where the restrooms are located on the office level tho.

Fuck institutional knowledge. Bobby just wants Akina back so he'll have a direct source to the team. Akina's time is passed, let that dog sleep. There are far better recruiters and coaches now days.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Everytime we have a coaching search, it’s almost like a rite of passage that Tim Brewster gets brought up and gets the recruitniks excited for a hot minute.  Not this time for me. I hope that fucker is retired by the next time one of these searches happens at Texas. 

It saddens me that you don't want The 512 to be lit.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Nowhichski said:

yes that seems like bullshit. but clearly sark had other good reasons. I don’t see him making frivolous Hermanesque hires. He knows better. 

What if Gideon was hired to be the scapegoat if required?  Everybody needs a fall guy. [/Chris Carter]

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Why are we supposed to be all excited about Colbert as potential WR hire? He's had all of two years experience as a WR coach. And that USC room was loaded when he got there. Not saying he wouldn't be good, just trying to understand the thinking here. 

Agreed - think Wiggins is the best technical teacher of the candidates and will have Devonta Smith as a trophy on the wall for recruiting. We’ve never had problems recruiting athletic receivers, just problems teaching them to get open. If you go back through scouting reports on most of the Bama receivers (Jeudy, Ruggs, Smith, Metchie, Waddle), they seem to indicate all were athletic/ball skill freaks but needed to improve route running. Now, nearly all of them are getting drafted for being freakish route runners. I’d rather have that and have Sark/TE recruiting witch hire take care of the recruiting side.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1