Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

I remember when Seth Littrell was a rising star in the coaching ranks. Now he wants to offer Mike Stoops a DC job? Yeesh.

If you saw how bad their D was the last 2 years, Mike Stoops would actually be an upgrade. Funny part is that they have recruited decently yhe last 2 years now on D and Stoops could be gifted a situation that the D could make a major turnaround with just a new voice in the room.

31 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

This isn't that uncommon in the coaching world. Art Briles famously told the entire UT hiring team that he wasn't going to interview for the job, his interview was the ass kicking he put on Texas the prior season. Yes, Art Briles is a sociopath piece of shit, but football, even down to the HS level in Texas, is full of giant motherfucking egos. 

Maybe he was just concerned the interview would be discoverable.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Art Briles had 11 years of FBS head coaching experience and had turned Baylor's group of felons/rapists into a national power.  I don't expect a well-established successful HC or Coordinator to need to necessarily interview.  But I think its a little more unusual for a guy with 'no skins on the wall' and who hasn't been around all that long to earn an offer without an interview, off of that 1 game where his team played your team well.  Especially when the guy is open to interviewing and just did so for Oregon and LSU - and wasn't offered the job.

Steve "Zack, how would you like to interview to become the DC at the University of Texas?"

Zack "You serious brah?  After we held you to 34?"  Stop wasting my time."

Or

Steve "Zack, how would you like to interview for the DC position at the University of Texas?"

Zack "Can I call you back?  I got a lady on the other line who wants to buy a set of whitewalls."

34 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

This isn't that uncommon in the coaching world. Art Briles famously told the entire UT hiring team that he wasn't going to interview for the job, his interview was the ass kicking he put on Texas the prior season. Yes, Art Briles is a sociopath piece of shit, but football, even down to the HS level in Texas, is full of giant motherfucking egos. 

dazed-and-confused-football-coaches.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm not arguing the merits or situational differences with you. I'm telling you it's not uncommon. I've heard it dropped plenty of times in Press Conferences. "Well, I coached against him, I know what he can do." It's commonplace. I'm not saying it's not fucking stupid. But I mean, a lot of coaches are that delightful mix of stupid and egotistical we've all seen firsthand, so I don't know what to tell you. 

The deal with Briles was that he was coached up to say to Texas when they wanted to interview...I don't have to interview. You've seen my body of work. My teams have kicked your ass up and down the field. Hire me or don't, but I'm not going to beg for the job. 

That's pretty much how that went down. 

1 minute ago, BlackChicken said:

The deal with Briles was that he was coached up to say to Texas when they wanted to interview...I don't have to interview. You've seen my body of work. My teams have kicked your ass up and down the field. Hire me or don't, but I'm not going to beg for the job. 

I mean, thanks for basically reaffirming what I said in my original post, I guess?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Like I said- the part that stuck with me was my dad bc I know him, and that hit close. Even then- I only remember the big picture of sad making an ass of himself. 
the general take away was that given the opportunity to let dad off the hook graciously, like a public figure who has to deal with nitwits all the time should do and have a lot of practice doing, he instead was as ungracious as possible. Ok, fine, play it that way. He then proceeded to spend two hours digging the 16 year old volunteer umps, yelling at his kid nonstop, and giving the coach unsolicited advice. Which- since he’s in the business you’d think he’d realize just how douchey that is.  It apparently he ha no self awareness and no social graces. 
wish I could remember all the ins and outs of the story. 

Worst aggie fan fiction ever. You forgot the part where your dad gets lost on the way to the stadium and Elko takes him to a tailgate where he meets the nicest fans in the history of ever and yearns for the day he returns to aggieland, lamenting that he was never an aggie himself. 

Also Thayer Evans is the OU homer "women romancing each other" guy, right? He's like the bastard son of Clay Travis and John Lopez. I'm dismissing the Mississippi State guy out of hand just based on his poor judgment for hiring that steaming bucket of dick cheese as an agent. And is there any doubt why he's been linked to every open job available? I can't imagine where all these leaks are coming from. Fuck Thayer Evans. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Most people referring to three man fronts and etc have no clue about defense they just heard the term three man front when talking about Orlando’s horrible scheme that used the three man front. The three man front can be very effective and disruptive in the right scheme. You have to present multiple looks and get pressure from 3-5 people at a time on the three man front just as you would in a 4 man front. But people are so hung up on a three man front they’re disillusioned to the fact that the three man front can be very effective still. 

I saw a quote from someone interviewing Saban once on his defense and he said something like their base defense was a 3 man front, but they rushed 4 or more 75 percent of the time.

1 hour ago, Thiefery said:

That was so weird.. hey u were a friend with a friend of mine..who's dead...

I wouldn't be surprised if he joins OB, he was kissing up to Geoff on twitter on his way out, think he called him the godfather or something.  Once his wife finishes med school or whatever, they probably comeback.

The no travel and no sources style of reporting is probably very appealing. 

13 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

The bigger issue is that blue chip DL want no part of that scheme. The NT is basically a space eater and the DE take on two blockers and don't get enough sacks/pass rushing opps for NFL exposure 

I'm not advocating one way or another. Just making the point that last time we ran a 3 man front we didn't exactly have the best personnel for it. I also don't think we should be basing our defensive philosophy on the whims of 18 year old kids. 

15 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

The bigger issue is that blue chip DL want no part of that scheme. The NT is basically a space eater and the DE take on two blockers and don't get enough sacks/pass rushing opps for NFL exposure 

Wrong as always. You’re describing a two-gapping three man front like Orlando used,  but that isn’t what all 3 man fronts use. Schools like Bama and LSU ran 3 man fronts for years and years and landed a boat load of 5 stars while doing it. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I remember when Seth Littrell was a rising star in the coaching ranks. Now he wants to offer Mike Stoops a DC job? Yeesh.

Seth Littrell played at OU, so Stoops is a comfort hire for him, and probably one of the few people who would consider taking the job because it's actually an upgrade for him.

9 minutes ago, BlackChicken said:

What was briles record against Texas?  And fuck art briles. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Worst aggie fan fiction ever. You forgot the part where your dad gets lost on the way to the stadium and Elko takes him to a tailgate where he meets the nicest fans in the history of ever and yearns for the day he returns to aggieland, lamenting that he was never an aggie himself. 

Also Thayer Evans is the OU homer "women romancing each other" guy, right? He's like the bastard son of Clay Travis and John Lopez. I'm dismissing the Mississippi State guy out of hand just based on his poor judgment for hiring that steaming bucket of dick cheese as an agent. And is there any doubt why he's been linked to every open job available? I can't imagine where all these leaks are coming from. Fuck Thayer Evans. 

Dads a longhorn t-shirt fan. He dislikes aggy. 

41 minutes ago, Fud said:

How many defenders are actually at the LOS during or right after the snap, and are they mostly single gapping or multi-gapping? ISU's dropping 8 with two ends edge rushing is different from Todd Orlando rushing 6 from a 3 man front where all three DL are two gapping

I two gapped your mom last night. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

I don’t know what you enjoy more. Being willfully ignorant or pessimistic? I assume you skipped the championship game where both teams used three down linemen fronts on a large percentage of downs. And that’s not how the down linemen were deployed. Baylor used a “3-3-5” in Rhule’s last year and they had a ton of sacks from the defensive end position. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The main issue is actually that you’re a moron.
  • Hook 'Em 6

3 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

I mean Louisville is a shitty town but not due to a lack of ice cream

We must have visited at different times, I thought Louisville was all right.  I went to Ed Lee's two establishments, Whiskey Dry and 610 Magnolia, and they were both excellent.  Perhaps they've fallen off since he moved to D.C.

15 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I had posted maybe a couple weeks back that my gut was telling me it's probably Boom. The more time that goes by the more I think that it might actually be him. If it was one of these other guys it seems it would have been done already - unless we are waiting on someone still alive in the NFL. 

I don't remember in what exact detail the situation around Boom's contract situation has been discussed here already, but the theory that his reluctance to accept a job with UT (or any other program, for that matter) has legs IMO. In before the "lol, didn't read" responses, but summarizing for those that might be interested.

Spoiler

The jist of it that, in Dec. 2019, Boom wanted to keep then-RB-coach Thomas Brown from taking another job and was willing to amend his own contract to remove its $200K/yr escalation clause in order to facilitate the SCAR BOR's approving an extension and salary increase for Brown of the same amount. Boom took the proposal to the SCAR BOR, which approved Boom's amendment and Brown's new contract. Turns out Brown still left SCAR for the Rams a couple months later, so the rationale for Boom's amendment left with him and neither Boom nor SCAR ever signed his contract amendment that would have formally ripped out the escalation clause.

So the issue the BOR and Boom is debating is around whether the escalation clause still in Boom's base contract should be given effect (netting Boom an additional $3MM severance) or overridden by the amendment that was agreed to despite no pen to paper. On the BOR's side, they have formal meeting minutes where the SCAR AD (i.e. Boom's agent) is confirming Boom's agreement to the amendment (and they almost surely also have emails or other indications of agreement from Boom) that they'll argue are sufficient to stand in place of the paper that wasn't signed. On Boom's side, he would argue the minutes or any other indications of agreeing to the amendment are not legally binding because his agreement was actually clearly conditioned on Brown having remained at SCAR for at least the 2020 season. And even if found to be a binding contract, Boom also what I'd view as a strong "frustration of purpose" defense against enforcing it. The BOR will of course argue that purpose was not frustrated, because Brown signed his amendment (i.e., received the benefits of Boom's cut) and the purpose was in reality to incentivize Brown to stay at SCAR and him later deciding it wasn't enough to overcome a Rams offer doesn't mean that extra $200K didn't act as an incentive for Brown to not take that (or other) offers.

On top of that, as mentioned, Boom's base contract does not have a mitigation clause to offset his severance by any income received from a coaching job during the severance period (and neither did the purported amendment). Not that is speaks to the merits of the situation described above, but Boom taking a high-paying DC job during the middle of negotiations with SCAR on is poor strategy in that the BOR would find a way to use it against him and it would likely weigh against his favor in the eyes of any arbitrator or other neutral third party that might be involved in resolving this (not that it should, IMO). If an arbitrator/third party is involved, I would expect they would be pretty close to a final award/decision by now. But if they're simply duking this out between lawyers, that can take an amount of time and, if unsuccessful, could logically lead to litigation for resolution. 

TL; DR: Boom's wrapped up in a dispute with merits/arguments on both sides that could be resolved soon or a long time from now. If he actually wants to coach this season / take the UT DC gig, it's sound strategy to kick that can as far as it can go. If the dispute has no near-term end in sight, Boom would have a judgment call to make of whether the $3MM delta (max, could ultimately get less) he's fighting over is worth UT moving on because time is simply up. 

• Hook 'Em 6

5 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

I don't remember in what exact detail the situation around Boom's contract situation has been discussed here already, but the theory that his reluctance to accept a job with UT (or any other program, for that matter) has legs IMO. In before the "lol, didn't read" responses, but summarizing for those that might be interested.

Hide contents

The jist of it that, in Dec. 2019, Boom wanted to keep then-RB-coach Thomas Brown from taking another job and was willing to amend his own contract to remove its $200K/yr escalation clause in order to facilitate the SCAR BOR's approving an extension and salary increase for Brown of the same amount. Boom took the proposal to the SCAR BOR, which approved Boom's amendment and Brown's new contract. Turns out Brown still left SCAR for the Rams a couple months later, so the rationale for Boom's amendment left with him and neither Boom nor SCAR ever signed his contract amendment that would have formally ripped out the escalation clause.

So the issue the BOR and Boom is debating is around whether the escalation clause still in Boom's base contract should be given effect (netting Boom an additional $3MM severance) or overridden by the amendment that was agreed to despite no pen to paper. On the BOR's side, they have formal meeting minutes where the SCAR AD (i.e. Boom's agent) is confirming Boom's agreement to the amendment (and they almost surely also have emails or other indications of agreement from Boom) that they'll argue are sufficient to stand in place of the paper that wasn't signed. On Boom's side, he would argue the minutes or any other indications of agreeing to the amendment are not legally binding because his agreement was actually clearly conditioned on Brown having remained at SCAR for at least the 2020 season. And even if found to be a binding contract, Boom also what I'd view as a strong "frustration of purpose" defense against enforcing it. The BOR will of course argue that purpose was not frustrated, because Brown signed his amendment (i.e., received the benefits of Boom's cut) and the purpose was in reality to incentivize Brown to stay at SCAR and him later deciding it wasn't enough to overcome a Rams offer doesn't mean that extra $200K didn't act as an incentive for Brown to not take that (or other) offers.

On top of that, as mentioned, Boom's base contract does not have a mitigation clause to offset his severance by any income received from a coaching job during the severance period (and neither did the purported amendment). Not that is speaks to the merits of the situation described above, but Boom taking a high-paying DC job during the middle of negotiations with SCAR on is poor strategy in that the BOR would find a way to use it against him and it would likely weigh against his favor in the eyes of any arbitrator or other neutral third party that might be involved in resolving this (not that it should, IMO). If an arbitrator/third party is involved, I would expect they would be pretty close to a final award/decision by now. But if they're simply duking this out between lawyers, that can take an amount of time and, if unsuccessful, could logically lead to litigation for resolution. 

TL; DR: Boom's wrapped up in a dispute with merits/arguments on both sides that could be resolved soon or a long time from now. If he actually wants to coach this season / take the UT DC gig, it's sound strategy to kick that can as far as it can go. If the dispute has no near-term end in sight, Boom would have a judgment call to make of whether the $3MM delta (max, could ultimately get less) he's fighting over is worth UT moving on because time is simply up. 

Texas should offer $2.5M to Boom and just ask him to forego the initial $500K year 1 in exchange for a guaranteed 3 year deal.  Damn I'm good. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fud said:

MSU mod

Hide contents

I have learned a few more things since our last update. Zach Arnett is represented by Thayer Evans. That name may be familiar to you. Thayer worked for years as a sports journalist before going to work as a sports agent.

As far as LSU goes, I am told that there are a couple of issues that arose in their courtship. Orgeron and Arnett don't appear to be on the same page philosophically. Orgeron wants to run a lot of multiple fronts. Zach is a little flexible with all of that, but is pretty much married to the 3-3-5. I am also told that there was some confusion about Arnett's buyout. It is around 2 million. Arnett signed a new contact that was effective December 1st. With that signed agreement came a huge increase in the buyout. There is a misconception that Zach's SEC buyout is 450K. It's more like four times that. As I have posted on this board before, there is no wiggle room with that buyout. There are no negotiations to be had. Mississippi State will not accept anything less than the full amount of that buyout. Apparently, some didn't get that memo.

I have heard enough from people that I trust that things with LSU and Zach Arnett will not move forward for multiple reasons. I am told a name to watch in the LSU DC search is New Orleans Saints defensive line coach Ryan Nielsen. Nielsen and Orgeron have coached together at both USC and Ole Miss. They are very close and see football the same way. Obviously, that would be a name that would likely make LSU fans happy. That's their issue to deal with.

So what about Texas? Based on what I am hearing, Arnett is a candidate, but not a priority candidate at this time. In many respects, that is the last spot to fill. Texas is a school that has the money to handle the buyout even in these COVID crisis times. That said, I am told by someone with knowledge of the search that the reports last week about Arnett being near the top of the Texas' wish list were premature at the very least. That's not to say that they don't eventually ramp things up with Zach, but I am told there are some other candidates with connections to Sark that will be pursued first.

State has now survived overtures from LSU, South Carolina and Oregon. To be fair, I don't believe anyone extended a formal offer to Arnett. My understanding is that once everyone got the real info on Arnett's contract and buyout that things changed. Everyone of those programs would have benefited from having Arnett on staff, but the three year deal with a hefty buyout has changed the details of their courtships. Good on Mississippi State for getting that extension done in season.

Contrary to popular belief, there are coaches who interview privately every single year. Some are looking to make a move and sometimes people are just having a conversation to feel each other out. Unfortunately for Arnett, it seems that every conservation he has had has made the papers. That's life and times in the SEC, but most of these leaks don't come from the candidates. They come from well sourced media folks and agents. Some agents think it helps their clients to have their names associated with jobs to increase their profile. Those agents don't care about recruiting or the fact that their client may have to walk back into a meeting room with players who read these reports on social media.

While it won't be final until all of the Power Five spots have been filled, at least today it looks like things are calming down. I can't say with 100% certainty that Arnett is going to be here next year, but the trend is positive. This time yesterday, it looked like we were about to have a DC search. Now it looks like Mississippi State might just hang on after all.

Thayer Evans is his agent.  Evans is best suited to writing for a gossip tabloid or being a pimp.  Oh, he's an agent now, you say?  Big do not want.

8 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

TL;DR:

His contract was amended in a manner that affected his buyout, but the new contract was never signed.  His buyout is non-mitigated (he doesn't lose anything to work somewhere else), so it shouldn't really effect his next gig.  But for lawyery reasons it does.

Would really like to see a separate thread on the 3 man front with Fud and Burt providing the commentary.

Some, like me, have been sloppy in our comments and caused confusion, while others have been just wrong in their understanding of the differences of the different schemes. Surly needs to get past this 3 man front bs that pops up twice a month. 

1 minute ago, cdain3 said:
5 minutes ago, Vertigo said:
Texas should offer $2.5M to Boom and just ask him to forego the initial $500K year 1 in exchange for a guaranteed 3 year deal.  Damn I'm good. 

2.5m + hciw should get it done.

What Are You Doing Reaction GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1