Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

Just in case an actual NFL coach could be what we're waiting for, I checked out the staffs of teams still in the playoffs for any collegiate DC experience, in DB or LB positions, and/or ties to Texas. Nobody stands out as must-have:

- Matt House is at KC and used to be DC for Kentucky, Pitt, and FIU.

- John Butler at Buffalo was a grad assistant here 97-98 and coached at Texas St and was DC at Pedo St.

- Michael Hodges at New Orleans was co-DC for Eastern Illinois and played at aggy

- Nick Rapone at Tampa Bay was a DC for Temple and Delaware

- Jerry Gray at Green Bay is a former Longhorn

- Mike Smith at Green Bay was co-DC at Texas Tech

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Modessit said:

Just in case an actual NFL coach could be what we're waiting for, I checked out the staffs of teams still in the playoffs for any collegiate DC experience, in DB or LB positions, and/or ties to Texas. Nobody stands out as must-have:

- Matt House is at KC and used to be DC for Kentucky, Pitt, and FIU.

- John Butler at Buffalo was a grad assistant here 97-98 and coached at Texas St and was DC at Pedo St.

- Michael Hodges at New Orleans was co-DC for Eastern Illinois and played at aggy

- Nick Rapone at Tampa Bay was a DC for Temple and Delaware

- Jerry Gray at Green Bay is a former Longhorn

- Mike Smith at Green Bay was co-DC at Texas Tech

Here we go again. 

Son of Bum hasn't coached college since 1977 from what I can tell.
But I bet he could put together a staff with great college experience.

I'd rather see a big name, younger college DC.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wade_Phillips

Early career:
Phillips attended Port Neches–Groves High School in Port Neches, Texas, and went to the University of Houston, where he was a three-year starter at linebacker from 1966 to 1968. He held the school record for career assisted tackles[2] (228) until 2011 when the record was broken by Marcus McGraw.[3]

Phillips began his coaching career as a graduate assistant to Bill Yeoman at the University of Houston in 1969. From 1970 to 1972 he served as defensive coordinator at the former Lutcher Stark High School (now West Orange-Stark High School) in Orange, Texas. He then coached the linebackers at Oklahoma State University from 1973 to 1974, under his father, Bum Phillips, who was OSU defensive coordinator at that time. In 1975, Phillips coached the defensive line at the University of Kansas under head coach Bud Moore.[4]

NFL coaching:
Phillips began his professional coaching career with the Houston Oilers, head-coached by his father. He served as the linebackers coach in 1976, and the defensive line coach from 1977 to 1980.

Edited by ATXbronco

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Finally, the majority of this fan base can finally lay to rest their dreams of Chris Ash returning.

Wasn't dreaming of Ash,  but I thought he would get the job by default. 

I don't even have a guess who it will be anymore.  

Grand Plan  talk not going away.

I am tremulously relieved that we all knew what the Grand Plan was, and the timing of it.

Golly gee it’s so upsetting though that it’s been smashed into smithereens.

Perhaps our trusted friend , Big Time,  can pull us out of our despair with his highly connected network of insights.

5634A5FA-2070-4D8C-8F9B-3DB6B80258BF.jpeg

10 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Fair, but Arnett and the Georgia douche’s sample sizes are even smaller.  

Yep. I would take Golding over Lanning. I like what Golding did regarding the ND and OSU games. Lanning looks like a hell of a recruiter, but the offenses Georgia played during the year is somewhat concerning. We need a terrific DC. Think we will have the recruiting part covered. 

10 hours ago, BoomerSooner2578 said:

it's on topic. it's not trolling.

Once again. What part of "we don't give a fuck what you think" are you just not getting. Now with all the snow and rain, shouldn't you be at the lumber yard getting the stuff you need to get the ole double wide roof repaired?  

• Fuck You 1

50 minutes ago, ckhorn said:

Yep. I would take Golding over Lanning. I like what Golding did regarding the ND and OSU games. Lanning looks like a hell of a recruiter, but the offenses Georgia played during the year is somewhat concerning. We need a terrific DC. Think we will have the recruiting part covered. 

Plus Golding brings Scott more than likely