Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

Colorado, nebraska, mizzou, aggy, and arkie ran from texas for greener pastures and a chance to actually win. 

Its working out well for them.
These teams all need to be in the same conference.  Hmmm.  What would we call such a conference?
Power bottom 5?
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

the princess bride queue GIF

The Joseph hire is inexplicable to me.  There seemed to be several better options available.  And not that it's important, but they probably would have cost less.  I don't claim to know as much as many here, but I don't recall the Domers fielding any shut down secondaries, and they don't face the season long onslaught of wide open offenses featured in the Big 12.  Joseph seems like a journeyman who was absurdly fortunate to somehow land in South Bend (what a phrase to type!) that has done nothing to justify that fortune before or since.  If he's a badass recruiter, then he has pissed away the talent.  We need BDE in the defensive backfield, not a lobcock in need of constant fluffing.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 6

6 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I don’t know why Joseph was hired, but he has coached and recruited in Texas before. I don’t think the hire is a sign of anything with the staff. It’s just the one hire that people question. Beats the hell out of Drew Mehringer or Derek Warehime. 

I hope you're right re: Meh and Warehime.  It just seems puzzling to me.  I think the rest of the staff - we'll find out about Coleman this year - is a home run.  Including Gideon.  It would be a fascinating turn of events if he turned out to be a generational coach here.

Just now, Teryor said:

Ya the guy who coached the secondary that held Alabama to its worst performance of the season must have just been in the right place cause he really sucked ass but keep talking about BDE I'm sure that'll help bring in Urban to replace him

Small sample size and grow the fuck up.

14 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I don’t know why Joseph was hired, but he has coached and recruited in Texas before. I don’t think the hire is a sign of anything with the staff. It’s just the one hire that people question. Beats the hell out of Drew Mehringer or Derek Warehime. 

I dunno, he has a reputation as a hard worker, and Ash probably wouldn't have accepted a demotion to a position coach. Maybe Raymond was always a pipe dream. Joseph did coach a CFP backfield, and Sark sees something in him apparently. Maybe he was Muschamp pick before Muschamp bailed. There are quite a few reasons.

CHIEF

22 minutes ago, cafe society said:

The Joseph hire is inexplicable to me.  There seemed to be several better options available.  And not that it's important, but they probably would have cost less.  I don't claim to know as much as many here, but I don't recall the Domers fielding any shut down secondaries, and they don't face the season long onslaught of wide open offenses featured in the Big 12.  Joseph seems like a journeyman who was absurdly fortunate to somehow land in South Bend (what a phrase to type!) that has done nothing to justify that fortune before or since.  If he's a badass recruiter, then he has pissed away the talent.  We need BDE in the defensive backfield, not a lobcock in need of constant fluffing.

You should probably do a little bit of research. Joseph recruited and coached Kyle Hamilton who has been on several All-American lists. 

Also, Joseph "wasn't fortunate". Multiple schools wanted him. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

You should probably do a little bit of research. Joseph recruited and coached Kyle Hamilton who has been on several All-American lists. 

Also, Joseph "wasn't fortunate". Multiple schools wanted him. 

I actually said "seems" fortunate but fine.  All you geniuses are right,  Adam Rittenberg says he "heard" Joseph has been in demand, and Adam Rittenberg is an honorable man  a glorified $9.95er.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

Just now, cafe society said:

I actually said "seems" fortunate but fine.  All you geniuses are right,  Adam Rittenberg says he "heard" Joseph has been in demand, and Adam Rittenberg is an honorable man  a glorified $9.95er.

Rittenberg works for ESPN. He's not trying to sell subs to Longhorn fans. 

You're flowing with some idiotic takes. 

The fact you were bitching about Notre Dame's secondary without even knowing they produced one of the best safeties in the country under Joseph tells me you're clueless. Maybe do just a little research? 

• Hook 'Em 9

15 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Ya the guy who coached the secondary that held Alabama to its worst performance of the season must have just been in the right place cause he really sucked ass but keep talking about BDE I'm sure that'll help bring in Urban to replace him

Mac Jones threw for 300 yards, 4 TDs, and was 25/30. Dude was one incompletion away from having the same number of TDs as incompletions. Even against Alabama that's not confidence-inspiring by any means.

1 minute ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

Mac Jones threw for 300 yards, 4 TDs, and was 25/30. Dude was one incompletion away from having the same number of TDs as incompletions. Even against Alabama that's not confidence-inspiring by any means.

The problem for Notre Dame's pass defense was the corners not the safeties. Even the ND fan on this forum said they kept the wrong DB coach and that Joseph wasn't the problem. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The problem for Notre Dame's pass defense was the corners not the safeties. Even the ND fan on this forum said they kept the wrong DB coach and that Joseph wasn't the problem. 

Oh I don't disagree. My point was primarily that a game in which the opposing QB threw one fewer TD than incompletions is not a ringing endorsement of the defense, no matter how good the offense the QB in is. Like yes it is Bama. Yes, it is one of the best offenses CFB has ever seen. No, five incomplete passes and zero interceptions on thirty throws is still not good.

For the record, I think Terry Joseph is like a B- hire not the C- hire some are making it out to be. I think he is an ok hire. Just disappointing compared to everyone else and some of the potential names discussed for CB coach.

Damn some people can never be satisfied....Sark has done an excellent job of bringing in Tier one coaching talent and y’all just have to find a flaw huh?! 
im pretty sure Sark knew what he was doing when he hired Joseph, I mean look at who he’s been around and the coaches he has already brought in. 

With the money he was giving if it was someone else I’m pretty sure Sark could have gotten him, but to say we really didn’t hear a lot of names for DB coach shows he was probably at the top of the list...

Let’s let the man show us what he has before we scrutinize the hire and show him the door.. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

I’ll put it like this, I don’t know Terry but I do know his cousin Mickey personally (WR coach at LSU) hell of a coach and even better recruiter, don’t believe me go look at his 247....

If Terry is anything like his cousin which I’m pretty sure they talk and probably give each other Tips..We’ll be just fine. Just give the guy a chance. If Sark has done anything it’s lead me to trust his decisions with these hires. 

Edited by D3zii
  • Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, D3zii said:

I’ll put it like this, I don’t know Terry but I do know his cousin Mickey personally (WR coach at LSU) hell of a coach and even better recruiter, don’t believe me go look at his 247....

If Terry is anything like his cousin which I’m pretty sure they talk and probably give each other Tips..We’ll be just fine. Just give the guy a chance. If Sark has done anything it’s lead me to trust his decisions with these hires. 

We've been told that Joseph has a relentless work ethic on the trail, and this is the second straight day someone reached out to express positive feedback on the new Texas assistant.

Seems like he is off to a promising start. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Teryor said:

This.  They held bama to 31.  I’m sure Sark was impressed and tbh I’m not sure our cbs were all that great under Ash

6 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

If our cbs will be coached to turn and try to find the ball it will be a massive improvement.  I kind of get the philosophy of playing the receivers arms, but that is no way to create turnovers, and a terrible way to play when competing against elite wrs.

I just don’t know what to say. 

It is so hard to run with somebody and then turn your head AND find the ball AND stay with person.  Receiver and QB have an idea of what they want. Unless ball is in the air for a long time doing all 3 with perfection is usually only top 25% of NFL db’s. 

With limited practice time do you try something very few in the world can do or do you go with best chance of working. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Shaddie said:

It is so hard to run with somebody and then turn your head AND find the ball AND stay with person.  Receiver and QB have an idea of what they want. Unless ball is in the air for a long time doing all 3 with perfection is usually only top 25% of NFL db’s.

I don’t think we’re asking for too much. Maybe the entire 25% should come from Texas?

• Haha 1

I wa s listening to the Scipio and Kevin Dunn pod and Dunn said he had a good ND source that said Joseph is below average in recruiting and coaching. [mention=542]golfclap[/mention] will certainly echo this sentiment and then some.

Dunn’s source Basically said he’s not a good coach. I’m not sure why Sark hired Jospeh as there doesn’t seem to be a clear connection, but I’d say Joseph as CB coach is probably Sark’s worst hire so far, and is a negative for PK, since it will almost definitely be a downgrade form Jimmy Lake coaching his secondary. 
If Joseph doesn’t work out, hopefully Sark will recognize it quickly and move on. 

You can find ND sources that will tell you he’s a plus recruiter and coach. We won’t know for sure until a year from now. Agreed that secondary is the weak link in this staff. Joseph paired with Gideon leaves a good bit to be desired.
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, cafe society said:

Had to posrep this just because people negging a post purely because it's pessimistic is lame as hell.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

Oh I don't disagree. My point was primarily that a game in which the opposing QB threw one fewer TD than incompletions is not a ringing endorsement of the defense, no matter how good the offense the QB in is. Like yes it is Bama. Yes, it is one of the best offenses CFB has ever seen. No, five incomplete passes and zero interceptions on thirty throws is still not good.

For the record, I think Terry Joseph is like a B- hire not the C- hire some are making it out to be. I think he is an ok hire. Just disappointing compared to everyone else and some of the potential names discussed for CB coach.

“Potential names”... this assumes every single name mentioned wanted to be at Texas and it was up to us to pick which one. Which is simply fallacy because there are coaches that wouldn’t want to move or coach here. But even more to the point, it’s possible that during the interview process Sark decided they just wouldn’t work here. So I’ll wait for how they grade out after the 1st season.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

“Potential names”... this assumes every single name mentioned wanted to be at Texas and it was up to us to pick which one. Which is simply fallacy because there are coaches that wouldn’t want to move or coach here. But even more to the point, it’s possible that during the interview process Sark decided they just wouldn’t work here. So I’ll wait for how they grade out after the 1st season.

Wait.   Don’t you know we’re Texas?  We had guys like tomlin, harbaugh (the good one), and mcvay wanting our hc job

5 hours ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

QBs: AJ Milwee (previously: analyst at Alabama, Akron OC/QB coach) - C

He was pretty terrible at Akron. His highest FEI offensive rating was in the 80s and every other year is below 100. That's out of like 125 teams. In 2018, he was third from last. Maybe he's a decent QB coach without having to deal with the difficulties of being an OC. Maybe he just sucks. He is described as Sark's right hand which sound like code for comfort hire to me. Maybe he got better through osmosis and Sark thinks he learned well during his time as an analyst at Bama. Maybe the dude still sucks. Sark apparently plans to call plays and be heavily involved with day to day offensive duties, so it is possible he could mitigate this by virtue of being a great QB coach himself, but man, I really think we could have done better.

RBs: Stan Drayton (retained from previous staff) - B+

Probably necessary to retain to keep Bijan away from transfer portal and maintain credibility with LJ. Guy is a pretty good coach, but seems to have a habit of getting too cute with rotations (see: Zeke @OSU and everything here). He is a decent recruiter. B+ because he got Bijan and keeping him keeps Bijan happy. Bijan is the truth.

WRs: Andre Coleman (retained from previous staff) - B

A lot of the players seem to love him, a lot of the analysts have great things to say about him, and a lot of coaches have great things to say about him, so I give him a B under the assumption my pessimism over him is just wrong instead of the C+/B- I may give otherwise. I didn't think our WRs were particularly great under him. No receiver got over 500 yards (aware season was shorter due to COVID (10 games vs 12-14), but that's still pretty shit. Putting up more than 60 yards a game for our WR1 should be a given. It's sad we couldn't do that. For comparison in 2018 when Collin Johnson was our WR2 he averaged over 75 yards a game. LJH averaged almost 85. 

TEs/STs: Jeff Banks (previously: TEs/STs coach at Alabama) A+

Great fucking hire. Dude is an ace recruiter and if what the Athletic writes about the Kwiatkowski hire is true, Banksy already has his first elite recruit at Texas when he landed DC Pete from UW. Dude is a rainmaker and a good TE/ST coach that has performed admirably wherever his path has taken him. Don't need to say much else. Perfect hire.

OL/OC: Kyle Flood (previously: OL coach at Alabama) - A+

Only possible better hire is the Arkansas OL coach, but that would be just splitting hairs. Kyle Flood is everything I could possibly ask for (and in fact did beg for). Great hire that should fix the biggest problem Texas has faced for the past 15 or so years. Perfect hire.

DC: Pete Kwiatkowski (previously DC/OLBs at Washington) - A+

Somehow we got a better hire than some of the wild names thrown out on the forums. The idea that we could poach UW's stud DC was inconceivable to me before it happened. Over the moon about it. Dude takes some decent but not elite talent and churns out consistently elite defenses even when adjusted for the quality of Pac-12 competition. He performed admirably against Alabama in the playoffs back in the day (yes, not the same offense, but still did very well against elite talent) and beats the shit out of Mike Leach every single fucking year. If he can consistently handle Leach he is a good DC.

DL: Bo Davis (previously: DL coach for the Detroit Lions) - A+

Another elite hire and a great sign that we're actually committing to playing the game as it is played today under SEC recruiting rules. Lights out recruiter, very good DL coach,  intimately familiar with the region. What more can you ask for?

LBs: - TBD

CB/Defensive passing game coordinator: Terry Joseph (previously: defensive PGC at Notre Dame) - B-

Better of the two ND DB coaches and has put some great guys in the NFL, but we probably had better options available for CB coach than Terry. C'est la vie.

S/ST: Blake Gideon (previously: special teams coordinator at Ole Miss) - A-

From what I've heard from a bunch of people, Blake Gideon is a great up-and-coming DB coach and what I know for a fact is that he's an elite ST coach. His STs at Houston led the nation in blocked kicks and blocked punts. They had a Ray Guy finalist. Ole Miss also had some very solid STs under him. He should be a great complement to Banks. Both of them should make us elite at ST again.

Given how I see the other current hires, relative to them, it is easy to see why there is consternation towards Terry.

One note about Milwee - even by MAC standards Akron is pretty much bereft of talent. No one's going there over Northern Illinois, Western Michigan, or even Toledo. Anytime they or Kent State even make a bowl it's a huge deal.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, D3zii said:

I think, at least for me, its less about Joseph not being the best hire Sark could have made vs not being a good hire.  Its as someone posted.  The others are so good by comparison he pales.  Others includes the other staff and other coaches fans wanted such as Raymond.  Also, in my mind, the timing of the hiring seemed odd especially with the Gideon hire being so close and there being no chance for DC to bring his guy.  Sark hired him for a reason and, not that it matters, i'm cool with it.  That said of the entire bunch he was the hire i question most.  Lastly, i'm pretty awesome and my cousin sucks.  I'd hate for people to make decisions about me based on that regard.

Edited by RollLeft
  • Hook 'Em 4

43 minutes ago, Shaddie said:

I just don’t know what to say. 

With limited practice time do you try something very few in the world can do or do you go with best chance of working. 

Seems like you knew what to say.

However, while it's a difficult skill you are overselling it a bit. If you turn and find the ball then you don't have to worry about staying with the receiver as a separate task. Studies have shown that on 100% of completed passes the ball and the receiver end up at the same spot.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Dunn’s source Basically said he’s not a good coach. I’m not sure why Sark hired Jospeh as there doesn’t seem to be a clear connection, but I’d say Joseph as CB coach is probably Sark’s worst hire so far, and is a negative for PK, since it will almost definitely be a downgrade form Jimmy Lake coaching his secondary. 

If Joseph doesn’t work out, hopefully Sark will recognize it quickly and move on. 

i mean, wasn't Jimmy Lake one of the say top 10? DB coaches in the country before he was bumped to the head corch?

56 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Notre Dame’s cornerback problem is recruiting not coaching. And their hands are tied in recruiting.

Their CB recruiting isn't really that bad:

• 2019 Isaiah Rutherford - 4 Star .9171
  • 2019 K J Wallace - 4 Star .9017
  • 2018 Houston Griffin - 4 Star .9651
  • 2018 Noah Boynkin - 4 Star .8912
  • 2018 DJ Brown - 3 Star .8802
  • 2017 - None taken
  • 2016 Donte Vaughn - 4 Star .8981
  • 2016 Julian Love - 3 Star .8711

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

Alabama was the #1 OFEI in the country - the difference between #1 and #2 was larger than the difference between #2 and #6

Notre Dame had the #24 DFEI in the country

by OFEI, 2020 Alabama was the best offensive team in the history of FEI (going back to 2007) - and there is a pretty large gap between them and LSU of 2019 and OU of 2018 (2.2 vs 2.4)

Telling Brewer "Bye Felicia" will get the TE count down to 6 vs 7. I'd start there. Then maybe tell Epps toughen up or GTFO as well that takes you to 5 which is number Sark would prefer. Cut some dead wood at WR as well and he is on his way to getting defense in better shape.

• Hook 'Em 3

image.thumb.png.fc2cfea51c6876595a99867828fb4f75.png

So adding Sanders on offense, does Juan Davis go the defensive route? 

I did find this with Liebrock...

image.png.8ad9cdb9cac3c236f92cfdebc596e9d0.png

TBH i'd use Brewer in short yardage/goal line packages as the second tight end but use the following combination in other spots being Sanders/Wiley/Liebrock.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

25 minutes ago, Wayne said:

FCB247

<spoiler>

rarkisian told players’ parents the Texas defense, “to the naked eye, will look like last year’s defense.”

The reason Sarkisian can say that is he hired a defensive coordinator in Kwiatkowski who basically runs a four-man front with two interior tackles as well as two, stand-up defensive ends and a nickel or dime package behind it.

Kwiatkowski typically has two, sideline-to-sideline linebackers on the field along with two corners, two safeties and a nickel back. But Kwiatkowski has had packages in the past in which he put seven defensive backs behind his four-man line.

Kwiatkowski’s defense stresses speed and athleticism across the board. He likes interchangeable tackles and ends, so he can more easily disguise tendencies and make it more difficult for the offense to make reads pre-snap.

Kwiatkowski likes interchangeable, cross-trained players in his secondary, too, so the offense can’t easily isolate conflict defenders in their RPO plays.

For two weeks, I’ve heard that Texas’ players on offense have been excited about Sarkisian while the defensive players have been on edge with uncertainty - largely because they didn’t know who would be their coordinator.

Sarkisian saying the Texas defense will resemble last year’s defense “to the naked eye” is helping players feel better about the direction of things, sources said.

“There’s been a lot of concern from the players on defense that they might be going back to a three-man front with a nose tackle and two ends in the 4i, and I can tell you, the portal probably would’ve filled up with defensive linemen, if that was the case,” one source close to the situation said.

“But learning that the new DC (Kwiatkowski) uses two interior tackles and two stand-up defensive ends and allows that front four to get up field and get after the quarterback put a lot of angst to rest.”
</spoiler>

This is a nice short summary that should eliminate all of the confusion on this board over the 3-man/4-man front.  A&M was also negative recruiting the Orlando scheme. I am absolutely ecstatic over the PK hire. Home run.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Telling Brewer "Bye Felicia" will get the TE count down to 6 vs 7. I'd start there. Then maybe tell Epps toughen up or GTFO as well that takes you to 5 which is number Sark would prefer. Cut some dead wood at WR as well and he is on his way to getting defense in better shape.

Epps graduates in May, can’t see him here past that

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

From his opening press conference i thought he implied doing this with the entire team.  

Just now, Dbeasy said:

This is a nice short summary that should eliminate all of the confusion on this board over the 3-man/4-man front.  A&M was also negative recruiting the Orlando scheme. I am absolutely ecstatic over the PK hire. Home run.

Meh, it's because Orlando's scheme is dog shit for DL because he wants space eaters and relies on dumb shit exotic blitz packages.

Just now, RollLeft said:

From his opening press conference i thought he implied doing this with the entire team.  

Man I hope so. There is ample dead weight that should/could be trimmed. I also hope to RGBIII's point that Epps doesn't try and hang out for an extra year just to live the college life a bit more.