Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

30 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

If somehow Sark gets all these Bama guys, it’s got to mean Saban is retiring right?

OC,DC,OL,WR and DB coach from a national title team all jump? Potentially even the TE coach? At some point we have to think that is absurd unless they know something else is up...

There is exactly one guy at Alabama who matters. Everyone else can be replaced with no discernible difference in results. Sark looks amazing as the OC. But so did Mike Locksley. And Lane Kiffen. Saban replaced 7 coaches in 2018 and 6 in 2019. It's what he does.

Edited by Texasrocks
Spelling is hard.
  • Hook 'Em 1

It's not 100% clear that he means as the WR's coach, but.. 

"Drayton has been the UT running backs coach the last four seasons, all under Herman. C joined the UT staff as an offensive analyst in 2019 and was promoted to full-time assistant coach last season. “Andre is going to stay with the wideouts,” Sarkisian said.

“Andre and I have a unique connection,” Sarkisian said. “I talked to him a couple different times the last few years when I was in Atlanta and in Alabama. I love his confidence, but also love his humbleness. I think he's got a great relationship with these kids.”

https://www.hookem.com/story/sports/football/2021/01/11/sarkisian-already-starting-fill-out-staff/6618863002/

16 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Has its own thread but posting here as well. @immamac and I brought the pod back. Give it a listen and make sure to subscribe and give a five star review. This episode we do a Tom Herman post mortem, initial Sark thoughts and of course coaching staff talk. Let us know what you think, thanks!

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/surlyhorns-podcast/id1434954298#episodeGuid=877959dd-0b8a-4c71-81cd-ae1671a80a7f

Is it only on Apple? 

47 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

If somehow Sark gets all these Bama guys, it’s got to mean Saban is retiring right?

OC,DC,OL,WR and DB coach from a national title team all jump? Potentially even the TE coach? At some point we have to think that is absurd unless they know something else is up...

This is my thought. 

Average age is probably closer to 35
Average weight is probably 275
Average junk length: 5.75 inches  (excluding [mention=5384]hornfromdallas[/mention] apparently who skews the average)
Average Annual Net Income: $110K (excluding all male nurses who make $1M plus and skew the average)

Average age has to be pushing 50. Have you seen people try to read player/recruit tweets? The takes in the eyes thread?
  • Hook 'Em 1

Or, alternatively, none of them have been there long, the OL coach is more tied to the OC than to Saban and wants to be a HC again, DC kinda underwhelmed, and most importantly, Saban is notoriously hands on with DBs, and Bama is a machine that could win ten games just drawing plays in the grass at this point.

23 minutes ago, Fud said:

"Drayton has been the UT running backs coach the last four seasons, all under Herman. C joined the UT staff as an offensive analyst in 2019 and was promoted to full-time assistant coach last season. “Andre is going to stay with the wideouts,” Sarkisian said.

“Andre and I have a unique connection,” Sarkisian said. “I talked to him a couple different times the last few years when I was in Atlanta and in Alabama. I love his confidence, but also love his humbleness. I think he's got a great relationship with these kids.”

https://www.hookem.com/story/sports/football/2021/01/11/sarkisian-already-starting-fill-out-staff/6618863002/

alright, so I guess Andre is staying.

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

So Coleman is the WR coach, yes? That article specifically quoted Sark. 

Yeah, but, the quote says 'Andre is staying with the WR's' - does that mean as WR coach?  Its hard to see Coleman going back to an analyst position - unless he didn't have offers he was happy with elsewhere?

Has its own thread but posting here as well. [mention=397]immamac[/mention] and I brought the pod back. Give it a listen and make sure to subscribe and give a five star review. This episode we do a Tom Herman post mortem, initial Sark thoughts and of course coaching staff talk. Let us know what you think, thanks!

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/surlyhorns-podcast/id1434954298#episodeGuid=877959dd-0b8a-4c71-81cd-ae1671a80a7f

SUBSCRIBED!!!
  • Hook 'Em 1

The article says directly states that Coleman will remain in his current role and reinforces indirectly a couple other times. The reporting is about as unambiguous as it gets. There’s always the slight chance that they misunderstood what Sark was saying on the call, after all only a couple quotes are published, but the article itself is as clear as can be. I would assume Coleman is the WR coach at this point.

7 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

The article says directly states that Coleman will remain in his current role and reinforces indirectly a couple other times. The reporting is about as unambiguous as it gets. There’s always the slight chance that they misunderstood what Sark was saying on the call, after all only a couple quotes are published, but the article itself is as clear as can be. I would assume Coleman is the WR coach at this point.

And Tom Herman is the coach.

9 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

It’s unlikely they misinterpreted someone’s statement. I can’t think of a single example of when this has happened.

2B3C2869-063A-444F-9EA1-4680E7388AAD.thumb.jpeg.5261be98dc0e64adadc6e01b9fc9018d.jpeg

Edited by Sgt. Slaughter
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Wow, this one is really enlightening. Right.

There seem to be a group of staff members that were correctly assessed when Gerry first released the list of guys coming with Sark: Flood, Milwee, Davis; some that would stay: Drayton, Carrington (if BC wasn't part of the list, it was disclosed through channels almost immediately that he'd be sticking from the same kind of source); and then some that were kiboshed but correct in original plan: Muschamp (kiboshed by Muschamp), Stoops (by BMD, thankfully), Banks (Saban wants to keep him, so he either sticks or doesn't announce a departure that can be confirmed until after tonight); and then some spitballing from whoever provided the info, such as Colbert and Lupoi. That source actually looks like it had its shit together. 

Since then, everything from the $9.95 side of things has been chasing hypotheses and I see nothing new today in that vein. Wiggins, Simmons, Raymond, Freeman, Arnett, Odom, Huff, Scott, Golding, Quinn, etc., all looking like dry wells or lucky guesses.

Then you have Gideon happening without prior commentary on him. Next is Joseph coming out of nowhere. Now you have Coleman as "being with the WRs" but we don't know in what capacity. I think we're at the point where the $9.95ers don't have anything worth mentioning beyond the original material, so it's everyone's best guess. Guys like Nahlin acting like they know jack shit about the DC are playing charades. 

I'm guessing there is a huge flurry of official announcements tomorrow morning before Sarkisian's PC. If not then, surely immediately afterward. 

One note regarding Coleman: Bama uses analysts as assistants in all facets except being able to put them on the road recruiting. Those dudes coach practice, during the games, do evaluations, contact recruits and take calls/texts with them, etc. Texas is paying Coleman his on-field assistant salary no matter what. Sarkisian likes him as a coach. This could very easily be a situation in which Coleman gets to get paid and coach the way he wants while not having to go on the road and recruit, which he doesn't like. So that frees up a spot to bring on a partner who likes to do the recruiting and will be happy to split the coaching work and get paid. Maybe not, but that's actually the idea I like best at this point, and it makes more sense than anything else I've heard, so I'll go with that over $9.95 speculative stuff to the contrary. 

analysts can coach practice and during games?  I thought they couldn't coach on the field at all.

• Hook 'Em 1

It’s unlikely they misinterpreted someone’s statement. I can’t think of a single example of when this has happened.
 2B3C2869-063A-444F-9EA1-4680E7388AAD.thumb.jpeg.5261be98dc0e64adadc6e01b9fc9018d.jpeg

I don’t think the media misinterpreted that so much as CDC put something out there when he shouldn’t have, but point taken.

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

One note regarding Coleman: Bama uses analysts as assistants in all facets except being able to put them on the road recruiting. Those dudes coach practice, during the games, do evaluations, contact recruits and take calls/texts with them, etc. Texas is paying Coleman his on-field assistant salary no matter what. Sarkisian likes him as a coach. This could very easily be a situation in which Coleman gets to get paid and coach the way he wants while not having to go on the road and recruit, which he doesn't like. So that frees up a spot to bring on a partner who likes to do the recruiting and will be happy to split the coaching work and get paid. Maybe not, but that's actually the idea I like best at this point, and it makes more sense than anything else I've heard, so I'll go with that over $9.95 speculative stuff to the contrary. 

This would fall in-line with Sark's rumored large assistant salary pool.

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

analysts can coach practice and during games?  I thought they couldn't coach on the field at all.

They coach in practice 100% of the time. I am fairly certain that's also the case at Texas. It is for sure at Bama. You can go and find easy footage of Chuckles, Applewhite, and Stoops on the sidelines, this year, at Bama games. They're not there as spectators. 

Does that fit into NCAA guidelines? Maybe, maybe not. Doesn't matter, as that is how it works. Sarkisian isn't going to witness that at Bama and go somewhere else not do exactly that.

This is a level 1 source for me regarding how Bama handles assistants. It is a person in the inner circle, attending their games, and talking to me directly, as we've been friends for decades. 

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

3 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Nor can they contact recruits.

There's a difference between being allowed to do something and being able to do something.

Just now, closetojumping said:

They coach in practice 100% of the time. I am fairly certain that's also the case at Texas. It is for sure at Bama. You can go and find easy footage of Chuckles, Applewhite, and Stoops on the sidelines, this year, at Bama games. They're not there as spectators. 

Does that fit into NCAA guidelines? Maybe, maybe not. Doesn't matter, as that is how it works. Sarkisian isn't going to witness that at Bama and go somewhere else not do exactly that.

This is a level 1 source for me regarding how Bama handles assistants. It is a person in the inner circle, attending their games, and talking to me directly, as we've been friends for decades. 

hmm.  interesting.  when the analyst thing got started by Saban (and under Mack) I thought the rule was they just look at game film and talk to coaches(no field, no player interaction, no recruiting).  maybe the rule is vague and teams have been exploiting it.

The exact quote

“Andre is going to stay with the wideouts,” Sarkisian said.

I think that leaves the analyst possibility open still IMO

• Hook 'Em 6

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Do you think Brian Carrington is communicating with recruits via smoke signal? Seriously guys, come the fuck on.

I didn't think Carrington was an analyst and as director of recruiting he could talk to recruits but not do visits unless he is a coach.

I'm just asking about what the rules are not whether you can bend or break them.

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

The exact quote

...and if you can't read those quotes and see the difference from the whole AAS CDC Statement bullshit, can't help ya. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I don’t think the media misinterpreted that so much as CDC put something out there when he shouldn’t have, but point taken.

CDC put out a vague statement to help recruiting while knowing that Tom would likely be fired 

The statesman asked him if that meant Tom would be back in 2021 and CDC said yes

A couple weeks later CDC fires Herman and the AAS guys get all upset because he lied to them

They need to grow up. I mean what was CDC supposed to do? Put out that statement then go tell reporters it was a lie and he was canning Tom? This is how athletics are handled are handled at pretty much every level except peewee 

Edited by Bodacious Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

The exact quote

He's super humble because he already agreed to an analyst position. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I didn't think Carrington was an analyst and as director of recruiting he could talk to recruits but not do visits unless he is a coach.

I'm just asking about what the rules are not whether you can bend or break them.

We are bookends on the subject matter. I don't know or care about the rules, only how the roles are functioning in the real world environment. So I have no clue on the do's and don't's, just the are's and aren't's and one of the aren't's is a hands off approach for the analysts within these programs, particularly Bama's. 

• Hook 'Em 1