Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

15 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I didn't think Carrington was an analyst and as director of recruiting he could talk to recruits but not do visits unless he is a coach.

I'm just asking about what the rules are not whether you can bend or break them.

Support staff - whoever they are  - can and are involved in recruiting and talking to recruits (that includes phone calls, text, XBox Live, et al. and on campus recruiting).  Only the 10 position coaches can go on the road to recruit (and the head coach with a limited number of 'in-homes').

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Hook 'Em 2

Lol the fact that this is the exact same situation we went through a month ago with CDC’s statement. Sarkisian worded his answers a certain way for a reason. Coleman is not going to be an on field coach. 

The AAS is a joke. Don’t know why anyone still pays attention to them.

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Lol the fact that this is the exact same situation we went through a month ago with CDC’s statement. Sarkisian worded his answers a certain way for a reason. Coleman is not going to be an on field coach. 

The AAS is a joke. Don’t know why anyone still pays attention to them.

I don't know who actually reads AAS or cares about it even outside of sports.

TFB

Spoiler

***Source indicates that Zach Arnett is interviewing with Oregon and LSU this week.

***Source also said that it sounds more and more like Pete Golding may end up being the guy at Texas.

***Alabama CB coach, Karl Scott is very close to Golding so if Golding to Texas happens, then I’d imagine an offer has been made to Karl Scott.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

18 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Nor can they contact recruits.

Brandon Harris. JW Walsh. Ishmael Aristide. <--- those 3 guys are more active in talking to recruits than all of the other coaches at Texas and aggy combined. they just can't go on the road officially. 

20 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

analysts can coach practice and during games?  I thought they couldn't coach on the field at all.

Like Huff? That rule was always going to be impossible to enforce and has been roundly ignored everywhere. Most schools official accounts have been posting practice videos with all of these guys coaching for years. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Unpossible….this is unadulterated fantasy speak...CTJ told me so.

Why FloridaHorn, are we cross? What an ugly tone. I tell you what, we should have a bet on it. You can take the position that Texas will release the assistant coaching list right before gametime of the college football national title game to "make the biggest splash" and I'll take the position that that reads like fantasy and will not happen. Let's bet something on it. 

Also, that's the dumbest fucking PR move ever if they actually do that. Tomorrow would be a great day to do that shit. Tonight is terrible timing and just stupid. So, hey, maybe it does happen since Texas always does stupid shit like that. 

Also also, remember that time right before the Bama/ND semifinal in which they announced Sarkisian to Texas in order to "make the biggest splash?" Yeah, me neither. 

• Hook 'Em 7

25 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I didn't think Carrington was an analyst and as director of recruiting he could talk to recruits but not do visits unless he is a coach.

I'm just asking about what the rules are not whether you can bend or break them.

Carrington was able to go on the road and recruit when we were short coaches. Schools can do virtually whatever they want during on-campus visits

Edited by Michael Knight

4 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Brandon Harris. JW Walsh. Ishmael Aristide. <--- those 3 guys are more active in talking to recruits than all of the other coaches at Texas and aggy combined. they just can't go on the road officially. 

Like Huff? That rule was always going to be impossible to enforce and has been roundly ignored everywhere. Most schools official accounts have been posting practice videos with all of these guys coaching for years. 

so its a rule that is unenforced.  got it.  hope we go big.

1 minute ago, Michael Knight said:

Carrington was able to go on the road and recruit when we were short coaches. Schools can do virtually whatever they want during on-campus visits

yes I remember that they made him a "coach" for a time so he could go on the road when we only had 9 coaches.

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Why FloridaHorn, are we cross? What an ugly tone. I tell you what, we should have a bet on it. You can take the position that Texas will release the assistant coaching list right before gametime of the college football national title game to "make the biggest splash" and I'll take the position that that reads like fantasy and will not happen. Let's bet something on it. 

Also, that's the dumbest fucking PR move ever if they actually do that. Tomorrow would be a great day to do that shit. Tonight is terrible timing and just stupid. So, hey, maybe it does happen since Texas always does stupid shit like that. 

Also also, remember that time right before the Bama/ND semifinal in which they announced Sarkisian to Texas in order to "make the biggest splash?" Yeah, me neither. 

How about a spelling contest? 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

The rule is no player instruction.  They can be present but can't "instruct" players.

That KU analyst got in trouble for talking to a blocker after a punt.

There was another who was asked to review something in film for a player and sat down and watched it with him.  He should have analyzed it by himself and given a coach whatever was needed.

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

No reason to stick Texas' name on a defensive coach whos about to give up 40 points minimum and have everybody question the hire all night. Better to have a headline say "national championship winning coach poached by Texas" tomorrow morning. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Not cross at all, just stating opinions and scattershooting like 99.9% of the rest of the board. You act as if Texas is above making dumb fucking moves, yet I present the last decade plus as evidence to the contrary. Whether or not new coaches are announced before the game remains to be seen, as does the intelligence of said moves...However, those two things are not mutually exclusive when it comes to the Horns and their decision makers. I simply stated that it would not surprise me in the least if there is news on the coaching staff just prior to the game. The only confirmed hires at this point is Gideon, Drayton, Davis, Joseph and Coleman (in some capacity), it is not far fetched to think that someone leaks Flood or Wiggins, or even Golding tonight.

1 minute ago, JBJ said:

The rule is no player instruction.  They can be present but can't "instruct" players.

That KU analyst got in trouble for talking to a blocker after a punt.

There was another who was asked to review something in film for a player and sat down and watched it with him.  He should have analyzed it by himself and given a coach whatever was needed.

thats what I thought.  apparently it isn't enforced and we should go all in and have as many analyst/coaches as possible who can help instruct players.

2 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

You act as if Texas is above making dumb fucking moves

Have you even read CTJ discuss assistant coaches and hiring the *past couple of years? Holy hell he's been about as pessimistic as they come and I want to fight him!

*I'm sure it's been going on longer than that, that's just  in my time on here. 

Edited by UncleBuck

1 minute ago, FloridaHorn said:

Not cross at all, just stating opinions and scattershooting like 99.9% of the rest of the board. You act as if Texas is above making dumb fucking moves, yet I present the last decade plus as evidence to the contrary. Whether or not new coaches are announced before the game remains to be seen, as does the intelligence of said moves...However, those two things are not mutually exclusive when it comes to the Horns and their decision makers. I simply stated that it would not surprise me in the least if there is news on the coaching staff just prior to the game. The only confirmed hires at this point is Gideon, Drayton, Davis, Joseph and Coleman (in some capacity), it is not far fetched to think that someone leaks Flood or Wiggins, or even Golding tonight.

Ha. I admitted to the stupidity of Texas and its penchant for such behaviors, so I'm not "acting as if" anything can't happen. The "cross" line was a joke that some picked up.

We should place a bet though. I think this is a hill you and I should die on, for sure. We could do avatar replacements, money, board banishments forever, some other digital feat of stupidity or instability, you name it.

14 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Support staff - whoever they are  - can and are involved in recruiting and talking to recruits (that includes phone calls, text, XBox Live, et al. and on campus recruiting).  Only the 10 position coaches can go on the road to recruit.

This. It's a matter of who is and isn't authorized to make "contact" (i.e. a face-to-face interaction that's more than "Hello") with a recruit, and when they can or can't do it. 

3 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Leaking Golding as DC right before he potentially gives up 60 to the OSU offense would be perfectly on brand for us so I see your point. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

Just now, Laxtonto said:

Just to make this thread that much better and because how it could impact a certain WR coach we covet...

Early rumors are that the Eagles top target for HC is Oklahoma HC Lincoln Riley

Thats a terrible fucking job.  No QB.  No cap space.  Players hate each other.  Ownership wants to tell you how to coach.  He might want to go to the NFL - but thats the wrong job to take.  

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Thats a terrible fucking job.  No QB.  No cap space.  Players hate each other.  Ownership wants to tell you how to coach.  He might want to go to the NFL - but thats the wrong job to take.  

It's weird, because he hasn't seriously been rumored in any of the already available jobs... but all the sudden Philly comes open and that's "the one?"

41 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

One note regarding Coleman: Bama uses analysts as assistants in all facets except being able to put them on the road recruiting. Those dudes coach practice, during the games, do evaluations, contact recruits and take calls/texts with them, etc. Texas is paying Coleman his on-field assistant salary no matter what. Sarkisian likes him as a coach. This could very easily be a situation in which Coleman gets to get paid and coach the way he wants while not having to go on the road and recruit, which he doesn't like. So that frees up a spot to bring on a partner who likes to do the recruiting and will be happy to split the coaching work and get paid. Maybe not, but that's actually the idea I like best at this point, and it makes more sense than anything else I've heard, so I'll go with that over $9.95 speculative stuff to the contrary. 

Even if Coleman won't be used as a recruiter, his WR group was nothing special this year. Couldn't beat press coverage on the outside.

Bringing him back is not the recipe for replicating Alabama's WR attack.

• Hook 'Em 1