Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

On 9/4/2023 at 10:21 PM, SarkAfterDark said:

Look for a note to come out this week, that the staff hasn't given up hope on Corian Gipson, and there is growing confidence we can flip him down the line.

33 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Fong with some updates

One they did lose this cycle was Lancaster (Texas) High Top247 cornerback Corian Gipson, who announced for Clemson in July. I’m not so sure that one is completely over and I’ll keep an eye on the Longhorns for the coveted in-state defensive back moving forward.

Jurassic Park Ian Malcom GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Gipson, Wingo, Baker, and Black would rank us 3rd in the current 247 team rankings with a 285.91. uga and fOSU are uncatchable at this point, and bama is currently sitting at 277 so they'd be ahead or in striking distance. 

On3 drops some of the bottom of the class when it does team rankings to negate class size disparity. IF we close these 4, we would probably rank higher in that model.

the aggie screenshot thread would be so sweet and salty

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Does anyone know if Hudson is in play if he makes the visit?

What visit?

As of 2 weeks ago, I was told the prognosis was negative. Tech losing to Wyoming and then losing again to Oregon might change that outlook, I guess. 

In a similar vein, if Texas beats Bama this weekend, that could play an unexpected role for a number of recruitments and Hudson could be one. 

I am of the opinion that Hudson has been committed to Tech for awhile. Could be interesting though.

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

What visit?

As of 2 weeks ago, I was told the prognosis was negative. Tech losing to Wyoming and then losing again to Oregon might change that outlook, I guess. 

In a similar vein, if Texas beats Bama this weekend, that could play an unexpected role for a number of recruitments and Hudson could be one. 

I am of the opinion that Hudson has been committed to Tech for awhile. Could be interesting though.

This morning Gerry mentioned that Wingo was our primary focus for recruiting right now. Tech may win by default unless A&M makes a big push, but as of now it might feel like opening a stocking full of shit at Christmas for Hudson if he finally does sign with Tech. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, D3zii said:

Not buying it. Heard the same things for McKinley.  I’ll wait til commitment day 

Seems like people just deduced it must be Texas with McKinley because they couldn't figure out who the primary competition was.

Vibe around Baker feels a little different.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

There have been times where Missouri has seemed to grab momentum

I hate when sports guys learn a new word and wear it out. Momentum is the recruiting word. Grabbing momentum doesn't even make sense. Grab the advantage. Take the lead. Something just to mix it up a little bit.

Coach Prime is this year's broadcast sports idiot mantra. Sportswriters are the dumbest people in the world paid to write. Sportscasters are almost as dumb. Scratch that. They're dumber.

Last week, I heard one color guy take the wisdom voice to say, "When you need a big play you go to your playmakers." They really ought to hire funny people instead of "experts." I heard Romo do part of a game last year, and he was good, but that's the exception. Use Don Meredith as the standard. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

I hate when sports guys learn a new word and wear it out. Momentum is the recruiting word. Grabbing momentum doesn't even make sense. Grab the advantage. Take the lead. Something just to mix it up a little bit.

Coach Prime is this year's broadcast sports idiot mantra. Sportswriters are the dumbest people in the world paid to write. Sportscasters are almost as dumb. Scratch that. They're dumber.

Last week, I heard one color guy take the wisdom voice to say, "When you need a big play you go to your playmakers." They really ought to hire funny people instead of "experts." I heard Romo do part of a game last year, and he was good, but that's the exception. Use Don Meredith as the standard. 

If you remember our last head coach said there was no such thing as momentum.  

3 hours ago, irishtexan said:

His dad played football there. 

So he should know first hand. Let's see ... go to that desicated feedlot of a city on the lonely plains or come and play in the capital of Texas, an international city now,  and play for a glamor school in the glamor conference? 

8 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

So he should know first hand. Let's see ... go to that desicated feedlot of a city on the lonely plains or come and play in the capital of Texas, an international city now,  and play for a glamor school in the glamor conference? 

Easier commute for dad down I-35 from Temple to see him play than to hike back up to Lubbock. 

If you remember our last head coach said there was no such thing as momentum.  

This is tricky, there is momentum in a game and it can swing from one team to another, so then it can be taken or grabbed.

But recruiting is often described as if it is some process, like a horse race between schools. It isn’t, it is just some teenager’s decision. Not really such a thing as momentum in making up your mind about something.
  • Like 1

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls