Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

2 hours ago, jeevsie said:

Intrigued by this one.  Seen him play in person and he did stand out on the field.  Not just because the d was focusing on Pettaway.

Should be more recruits on campus for the Relays?  We got eyes down there?

There's a bunch but it's one of the most closely policed no contact days of the year.

19 hours ago, jeevsie said:

Intrigued by this one.  Seen him play in person and he did stand out on the field.  Not just because the d was focusing on Pettaway.

Should be more recruits on campus for the Relays?  We got eyes down there?

I've wanted a Langham player to excel at Texas for 20+ years. I'm rooting for Jordan Washington. 

27 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Per Wells, Gatlin Bair will take a LDS Mission and not play college ball until 2026. So there's that. 

Fine with me. I've still got nightmares about getting our asses kicked by 24 year olds.  

He can come whenever he wants 

On 3/10/2023 at 1:26 PM, closetojumping said:

A few thoughts:

-January and the DL from Oak Ridge are the must-get interior DLs in-state in this class. January is a good player that projects well and he's a guy that Texas shouldn't have to waste a ton of energy on in getting him into the class and hanging onto him. The Oak Ridge dude may look like a swing DL/E type but he'll play at 300+lbs and they think he can be an animal in the interior. January is run stopper first and foremost.

-The Oak Ridge LB still loves Oregon, but he's talking a lot to Texas.

-Gipson is better than any other TB on the radar, irrespective of anyone's scouting views of him. He's the top player on Choice's board and he knows what he's doing. Word from IMG is that the dude has a great attitude and puts in the work.

-Tatum wants to play baseball too. Not a good thing for what Texas wants out of TB2.

-Hudson works with Hooks. You'd presume that if Texas is recruiting him hard, they're not planning on playing him at the same position as Cook.

-The rest of the interior DL strategy, and part of the Edge strategy, is to find 25 guys you like in the southeast, offer and recruit all of them, and land 2 of them plus the in-state guys you really like. That wouldn't necessarily be the case in a year where in-state is strong at those spots. 

-It sounds like 4 guys, at least, this cycle for DT & NT combined. They're not sanguine about finding difference makers at these positions in the portal, or being able to land them since if they do go to the portal, everyone will be all over them. 

Portal DT Texas may be after. HM All Big10 and lead them in snaps last season 

Likely only plays 1-2 more years but has 3 more years of eligibility 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'd wait Bair out. It would probably be a golden plate level miracle to keep him away from BYU, but you can't teach 6'3'' 180, 10.2. 

Just get him on campus. If he's running 10.2's he's not wearing magic underwear. 

Great point. I wonder if he could break 10 if he went commando.

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'd wait Bair out. It would probably be a golden plate level miracle to keep him away from BYU, but you can't teach 6'3'' 180, 10.2. 

Just get him on campus. If he's running 10.2's he's not wearing magic underwear. 

Perhaps Sark needs to just offer to jump-hump Bair's bed while he's soaking. 

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls