Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

OV visits that have been scheduled so far (from IT)

Spoiler

June 23-25 weekend

Jerrick Gibson, RB, Gainesville (Fla.) IMG Academy
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 33
Official visit schedule: Georgia June 2-4, Alabama June 9-11, Tennessee June 16-18, Texas June 23-25

Daniel Cruz, IOL, North Richland Hills (Texas) Richland
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 430
The skinny: Cruz is expected to stay close to home with Texas leading Oklahoma and Texas A&M.

Makai Saina, IOL, Arlington (Texas) Martin
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 490
Texas offered: March 25 at Junior Day. Texas A&M, TCU and others also in the mix.

Daniel Calhoun, OT, Roswell (Ga.) Walton
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 74
Official visit schedule: Georgia June 2-4, Alabama June 9-11, Tennessee June 16-18, Texas June 23-25

Nyier Daniels, OT, Oradell (N.J.) Bergen Catholic
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 197
Of note: Daniels is also expected in for the Spring Game April 15.

Ory Williams, OT, San Marcos (Texas) High
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 582
The skinny: LSU, Texas and Georgia are receiving the most chatter right now. Texas A&M, TCU, Oklahoma State and others remain in the mix.

Alex January, DL, Duncanville (Texas) High
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 651
In the mix: Texas, Georgia, LSU, Tennessee and others

Dylan Williams, LB, Long Beach (Calif.) Poly
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 105
Official visit schedule: Michigan June 9-11, Texas June 23-25

Landyn Cleveland, S, Mansfield (Texas) Legacy
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 496
Commitment date: Cleveland is currently scheduled to announce his decision April 13.

Corian Gipson, CB/DB, Lancaster (Texas) High
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 68
Official visit schedule: Alabama 9-11, Texas June 23-25

June 16-18 Weekend

Melvin Hills, DL, Lafayette (La.) Lafayette Christian Academy
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 533
In the mix: Texas, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Texas A&M and others. Texas is the lone official visit set up thus far as of Monday morning.

20 minutes ago, BigDSteve said:

Albeit, a very small sample size, he appears slow.  As in makes Slo’neal look functional.  I would venture not a take.

Runs track but has pretty pedestrian times. He was district MVP as a LB as a sophomore according to a Texas Tech write up. He is being recruited by Gideon and played safety as a Jr. He has performed well at camps.

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Hide contents

June 23-25 weekend

The skinny: Cruz is expected to stay close to home with Texas leading Oklahoma and Texas A&M.

Texas offered: March 25 at Junior Day. Texas A&M, TCU and others also in the mix.

The skinny: LSU, Texas and Georgia are receiving the most chatter right now. Texas A&M, TCU, Oklahoma State and others remain in the mix.

Commitment date: Cleveland is currently scheduled to announce his decision April 13.

June 16-18 Weekend

In the mix: Texas, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Texas A&M and others. Texas is the lone official visit set up thus far as of Monday morning.

Pretty interesting that Gibson and Daniel Calhoun have the exact same OV schedule. Would love to see us close on both of them that final OV weekend.

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Hide contents

June 23-25 weekend

June 16-18 Weekend

Justin Wells mentioned this morning that things aren't trending well for Texas and Corian Gipson as well as Bussey 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Justin Wells mentioned this morning that things aren't trending well for Texas and Gipson as well as Bussey 

I wrote off Bussey a while ago. That one has felt like A&M for a long time. Regarding Gipson, I guess Clemson seemingly always comes into Texas and steals a guy or two every cycle lately. I wonder if Gilbert leaving the staff hurt that recruitment.

Edited by Hookem2147

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

I wrote off Bussey a while ago. That one has felt like A&M for a long time. Regarding Gipson, I guess Clemson seemingly always comes into Texas and steals a guy or two every cycle lately. I wonder if Gilbert leaving the staff hurt that recruitment.

He did bring up Gilbert and leaving as well.

22 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Justin Wells mentioned this morning that things aren't trending well for Texas and Corian Gipson as well as Bussey 

Yeah, sounds like A&M sees Bussey playing offense and that's what he really wants. The Gipson change is weird - I thought we led for him, but it sounds like Clemson is in the driver's seat. I can't $ee why thing$ have changed. 

1 hour ago, Park Gothic said:

Yeah, sounds like A&M sees Bussey playing offense and that's what he really wants. The Gipson change is weird - I thought we led for him, but it sounds like Clemson is in the driver's seat. I can't $ee why thing$ have changed. 

Do we not $ometimes $pend dollar$ to get recruit$?

• Hook 'Em 2

247 update on Micah Hudson

Spoiler

Lake Belton five-star wide receiver Micah Hudsonmade a return trip to Austin this weekend with fellow top 50 national recruit and high school teammate Selman Bridges to catch a UT practice and meet up with the Horns' coaching staff.

247Sports' Jordan Scruggs caught up with Hudson after the visit to get the latest on his recruitment.

"It wasn't too long of a visit, went down there for lunch with the coaches and just got to talk with coach (Chris) Jackson and coach Sark but mostly Jackson since he's a new addition," said Hudson. "He was breaking down how he is as a person and a coach primarily. He's now the person at Texas that I talk to the most and when we talk it doesn't feel fake. He'll talk to me about his life and vice versa, it's not always about football."

In addition to speaking with Chris Jackson, Hudson also communicates weekly with Steve Sarkisian.

"Coach Sark mainly just calls to check up on me and my family when we hop on the weekly facetimes," he said. "Today was cool because we got to watch practice in addition to the normal film room stuff on visits. The new players making an impact early and getting comfortable with the new offensive installs was a really big takeaway, plus everybody I saw during the season just looks a bit more polished."

One contender that we've said repeatedly has a legitimate shot to win out are the Texas Tech Red Raiders. Hudson made another trip to Lubbock during the last weekend of March to catch up with Joey McGuire's staff.

"I just have good relationships with the entire staff, I mean it's different when you have a great relationship with the offensive coordinator plus the defensive staff in addition to the primary recruiters," he said. "Texas Tech hasn't changed up with my recruitment and they've just done a really good job on the relationship side."

On Saturday we mentioned that Hudson would take his first UOV to Tuscaloosa to hear more about the Crimson Tide's recruiting pitch.

"I'm really excited to see what coach Saban has planned for me on the upcoming visit," said Hudson. "It'll be cool to see what goes into having all these first round draft picks."

After talking with sources close to Hudson after this weekend's Texas unofficial, the visit seemed more like a check-in than a true UOV experience. One note that we've mentioned before is Hudson's passion for photography and editing, which Texas Tech, A&M, and Ohio State have all done a good job utilizing to their advantage. If Hudson returns for another UOV before his eventual official visit to Texas, the staff would be smart to block out time for Hudson to meet with the Texas Football creative staff.

There is still a long way to go until Hudson's likely December decision on National Signing Day but current intel leads me to believe that while Texas is definitely towards the top of the list, they might be stagnating a bit after a home-run Junior Day experience in January.

247Sports National Scouting Analyst Gabe Brooks had this to say on Hudson in his scouting report.

"Requisite size with plus length. Owns physical tools and functional athleticism to play outside or from the slot.

Highly productive high school receiver who's also provided big-play punch at running back and in the return game. Vertical field stretcher with very good initial burst that also aids in run-after-catch threat.

Mid-air acrobat. Capable of contorting in traffic to win contested throws. Strong with the ball. Will provide periodic highlight grabs thanks to dexterity, hand strength, and adjustment nuance.

Slippery strong after the catch. Dangerous cutback threat who can string together moves to befuddle tacklers well downfield.

Shows an innate sense to avoid the worst contact when navigating mid-air collisions. Wily in ability to set up defenders while anticipating a high-point situation.

Encouraging athletic profile includes basketball, track, and some goal-tending experience in soccer. No verified combine testing as of Feb. 2023, but hopefully new track and field data arrives in the spring.

Displays impressive speed-changing acumen in run-after-catch opportunities, but that same trait in route running can manifest more consistently. Plenty fast but another gear may exist at the top end.

Through junior season, has established himself as one of the Lone Star State's top overall prospects and an elite receiver nationally in the 2024 class. Projects as a potential high-major impact playmaker with a long-term ceiling that could result in early-round NFL Draft consideration."

• Hook 'Em 5

Texas visit checks boxes for five-star EDGE Colin Simmons

Mike Roach

"It went great," Simmons said. "It went better than what I expected."

And in case you were wondering where Roach got the imaginative title from ... 

"Oh for sure. I can say this visit really checked off a lot of my boxes," he said.

Spoiler

Texas visit checks boxes for five-star EDGE Colin Simmons

Mike Roach

Colin Simmons emerged as one of the top pass rushers in the nation over the last two years.

The five-star prospect from Duncanville currently holds 45 offers with some of the top programs in the nation in the race for him. Simmons was in Austin two weekends ago for the Texas Cookout and he said the visit went really well.

"It went great," Simmons said. "It went better than what I expected."

Simmons received the red carpet treatment throughout the trip and he spent a lot of time with current players on the team. There were many familiar faces Simmons knew from his time playing against those athletes in high school.

"The experience honestly," he said. "This time they had me more with the players, so it was like me building connections. The connections were really already there because I've already known these players throughout the years of playing against them in high school. It was guys like Anthony Hill and Johntay (Cook). People from the DFW area."

Out-of-state programs like LSU and Georgia have been trendy for Simmons, but this visit did a lot to raise the stock of the Longhorns.

"Oh for sure. I can say this visit really checked off a lot of my boxes," he said.

With a busy summer upcoming, Simmons is still looking at possibilities for official visits. He has nothing decided as of now, but he's got his eye on three programs for potential trips.

"I'm still deciding on that," Simmons said. "I don't have anything scheduled yet. I'll probably go to LSU, Georgia and Texas but there's nothing official right now."

As with any elite player, the staff is putting together an all-out effort. Simmons said that he spends time with several members of the coaching staff.

"Coach Banks, coach Sark, coach Bo (Davis) and PK here and there," he said. "I've got a good relationship with Banks and Sark. We're pretty close."

At 6-foot-3, 225 pounds, Simmons is ranked as the No. 4 EDGE in the nation and No. 5 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 2

Texas makes the Top 7 for Four-Star LB Dylan Williams

Greg Biggins

(Good quotes about Texas and the staff.  The conflicting lines about OVs ... could be info collected at diff times, or bad editing/cut/paste about a diff school, who knows.)

Spoiler

Texas makes the Top 7 for Four-Star LB Dylan Williams

Greg Biggins

Long Beach (Calif.) Poly linebacker Dylan Williams cut his list of schools to seven over the weekend.

Williams is currently rated the No. 122 player nationally in the 247Sports Composite and is one of the top linebacker prospects in the country. He had a very strong junior season and has elevated his stock in our eyes.

He's a twitchy outside linebacker who can rush the passer, play in space and drop in coverage. He's a physical player and has a nice edge in his game to go with a non-stop motor.

Williams, a one time USC commitment, will make his college choice from a final seven that includes Alabama, Miami, Michigan, Oregon, Penn State, Texas and UCLA. 

Williams broke down what stands out about the Longhorns  and how they made his final cut.

“I love coach Sark (Steve Sarkisian), he’s a great person,” Williams said. “He texts and calls me all the time and he has been up to Poly to see me several times as well.

“I’ve been to Texas twice including for the TCU game and the atmosphere was incredible. The stadium is amazing, I like the new facilities and I think everything about Texas is great and I love how well I fit in.”

Williams said Co-DC/LB coach Jeff Choate is his lead recruiter.

“He’s a great person, really easy to talk with,” Williams said. “He’s a great coach and he really wants me to be a part of their program.

“I’m taking my official visit on June 23 and I’m really excited to get back out there. I love the people and the passion everyone has for Texas football and they’re really high on my list for sure.”

“I don’t have an official visit set up yet but they will be the next visit I lock in. They’re doing a great job of making me feel at home and that’s going to be big for me in my decision.”

Williams said he currently doesn’t have a timeframe for making a decision.

“I know I want to take all five visits first,” Williams said. “After that, it could be whenever it feels right. That could be end of the summer, it could be during the season or even on Signing Day. 

“I’m an early grad so I’ll sign in December. I’m looking for a brotherhood, a school that feels like family, a place where I can get developed and a school where I can grow on and off the field.”

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Hudson can’t be serious with this Tech bullshit. Lubbock + Big 12. 

Normally, I’d think he was just being polite to the Tech coaches, but he’s visited that hellhole twice. Is he trying to work a commitable offer for a teammate or is he actually interested? 

Did anyone check if he was SEC good???

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Hudson can’t be serious with this Tech bullshit. Lubbock + Big 12. 

Normally, I’d think he was just being polite to the Tech coaches, but he’s visited that hellhole twice. Is he trying to work a commitable offer for a teammate or is he actually interested? 

His dad is a Tech legacy, plus Maguire is a really good recruiter. I am not worried about it though.

Edited by Vertigo

2 hours ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Not on the level of Altee Tenpenny (RIP) but a strong candidate for the all name team.

https://deadspin.com/you-say-seymour-we-say-pusey-lets-call-the-whole-thin-219327

Still the greatest recruit name of all time, but I do feel sorry for the kid and totally understand the name change.

Couple 2024 notes from IT (lol at Hampton already moving again)

Spoiler

Inside Texas takes a look at the latest on a handful of targets from the 2024 cycle – Parker Livingstone, Aeryn Hampton, Dozie Ezukanma, Caden Durham, Kendall Jackson – in Tuesday’s recruiting intel. 

Parker Livingstone, WR, Lucas (Texas) Lovejoy

After visiting UT’s Junior Day in January, the On3 four-star made a return trip last Thursday, and was able to watch the Longhorns practice. 

“It was great as always,” Livingstone told Inside Texas. “Really had a great time with Coach (Chris) Jackson too.”

Auburn, South Carolina, and Miami have entered the fray recently, but the Horns hold the cards, as of today. Sources tell Inside Texas that Livingstone is a take for Texas and are currently in the best shape. 

The 6-foot-4, 190-pounder holds 23 offers and the On3 Recruiting Prediction Machine currently has Texas as the heavy favorite to land a commitment from Livingstone at 91.3%.

Livingstone is the No. 360 overall prospect, No. 56 wide receiver in the 2024 cycle, and is also the No. 59 player in Texas, according to the On3 Industry Ranking. 

Caden Durham, RB, Duncanville (Texas)

Texas continues to evaluate the speedy tailback from DFW. After notching an 10.44 100 meters at the Texas Relays, it’s easy to see Durham’s ability and potential. 

The 5-foot-9, 195-pound On3 four-star holds OU, LSU, and Arizona State in high regard, he tells Inside Texas. He’s from Oklahoma and moved to the Lone Star State before his sophomore year. 

As of now, he doesn’t have a visit scheduled for Austin. 

At this time, Texas still has its eyes on Jerrick Gibson and Christian Clark as priority running backs for the 2024 class. 

Durham is the No. 162 overall prospect, No. 11 running back in the 2024 cycle, and is also the No. 30 player in Texas, according to the On3 Industry Ranking. 

Dozie Ezukanma, WR, Fort Worth (Texas) All Saints

The 6-foot-3, 175-pound Metroplex receiver competed in the 4×1 relays for All Saints on Saturday. He has a few schools standing out, while he’s watching Texas’ takes at wideout for 2024.

“I was in Austin two weeks ago for the cookout,” said Ezukanma. “It was real good. Practice was solid. Cookout was fun, talked to a couple coaches, and still building with coach (Chris) Jackson.”

He’s looking to setup his official visits soon, beginning in June. Purdue, TCU, and Miami are three programs that will likely get an official trip from Ezuknama. 

“I love Texas, I’m just waiting on them to pull the trigger,” said Ezukanma. “I want them to let me know they want me.” 

In the priority order, Ezukanma is in the second tier of UT targets. Ezukanma is an On3 three-star and No. 158-rated prospect in Texas for 2024. 

Aeryn Hampton, WR, Daingerfield (Texas)

The On3 four-star athlete will make his way to Austin on Friday, April 7th for an unofficial. Hampton missed UT’s second Junior Day due to a death in the family. Now, he’s ready to return.

Hampton made a move to Carthage (Texas) last month, but has since returned to Daingerfield. Hampton has an official visit to Texas planned for June 16-18. He also has a UTSA official set for April. 

The 5-foot-10, 175-pounder and On3 Industry Ranking No. 22 receiver in the 2024 cycle has stayed busy. He took an unofficial to LSU recently, and has an official visit to Alabama set on June 23-25. 

Of note, Hampton and Texas wide receiver coach Chris Jackson are still getting to know each other. The former UT pledge is eager to get back to Austin. 

Hampton is the No. 124 overall prospect, No. 22 wide receiver in the 2024 cycle, and No. 22 player in Texas, according to the On3 Industry Ranking. 

Kendall Jackson, EDGE/DL, Gainesville (Fla.) F.W. Bucholtz

After attending Texas’ first Junior Day in Austin, the Sunshine State product made a return trip. The 6-foot-3, 245-pound defensive lineman and On3 four-star thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

“Shooot, practice was great,” Jackson said. “The energy was high and I seen a lot of competitiveness throughout the whole day. Defense was showing out and getting after it and I love to see that.”

Jackson, who is being recruited at DL and EDGE, holds offers from Texas, Florida, Miami, Kentucky, and Ole Miss, with the Gators leading at this time. He’s looking at an official visit to Austin in June.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Feel bad for Hampton.  It's obvious he doesn't have a steady, positive home life and that's hurting him.

I think you're right. That said, we can cheer for him to have things come together in his personal life while he's headed to another college football program not named Texas.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, tokamak said:

We're also about to have 2 RB drafted in the same draft, including a first rounder. I'm sure that ain't hurting.

And a huge part of the first round grade for Bijan is the work that Choice and Bijan put in on improving his all around game (including specifically pass blocking)

• Hook 'Em 3

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls