Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

33 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I had a patient who looked a little like T'Vondre Sweat swear to its greatness. She had a friend who had a setup at her house. I was like, "Ya don't say". I mean really how do you respond to a 400lb woman describing the event like the opening of a flower?

While I am proud to say that this is one of the more ridiculous tangents a yearly recruiting thread has ever diverged upon, I'm all for texifornia or somebody getting us back on track with actual recruiting news. Maybe I'll catch up with a friend or two today and do it myself.

That considered, to the prior post and discussion, it's interesting stuff. They "season" the steaming for people and there are different flavors. There are women, and I presume their men, who swear by it. And, no shit, different demographics gravitate uniquely towards how, when and why they do it. I knew none of this stuff years ago until one of our partners bought the damned thing.

I can't attest to its health or physical value, as my wife turned her nose up at the notion from day one. @SydneyCarton gets them regularly though, so maybe he can give us a personal experience review on it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

While I am proud to say that this is one of the more ridiculous tangents a yearly recruiting thread has ever diverged upon, I'm all for texifornia or somebody getting us back on track with actual recruiting news. Maybe I'll catch up with a friend or two today and do it myself.

That considered, to the prior post and discussion, it's interesting stuff. They "season" the steaming for people and there are different flavors. There are women, and I presume their men, who swear by it. And, no shit, different demographics gravitate uniquely towards how, when and why they do it. I knew none of this stuff years ago until one of our partners bought the damned thing.

I can't attest to its health or physical value, as my wife turned her nose up at the notion from day one. @SydneyCarton gets them regularly though, so maybe he can give us a personal experience review on it.

Just another random Deep South kid including us in his top who-gives-a-shit. Big week for that.

[EDIT: And @BornAndRaised beat me to that]

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Atticus said:

That's gotta be the most compact 6'2 300 lb guy I've ever seen. Wonder if those measurements are as accurate as Tausili Akana's were.

He looks athletic and nimble. Not a fatty. Barrel chest, powerful arms (Damn!).  Notice how small the football looks.

image.thumb.png.0dc997633d218eab4aa4bded7da9401d.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 4/6/2023 at 10:05 AM, Park Gothic said:

The last name similarities between Jerrick Gibson and Corian Gipson keep throwing me off something terrible. 

Think that's bad? Son has a friend named Corian _____, and a friend named _____ Gibson.  When I first heard of this recruit Corian Gipson, I thought it was the son's friend. Was excite for a minute. Oh, but they call the Gipson kid, "Gip" with a p.  I asked why, he said he had the nickname when he met him - no clue why.

19 hours ago, closetojumping said:

That shit was Puma Punch, no doubt. I'm sure there's some 2023 version of it right now being presented at tables inside various mediocre chains in Katy, Plano, and around Lake Travis, right this very moment. Go hit up the bar area of said type of restaurant this evening, order up a bottle of Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc or a bubbly rose' and you can snag yourself a neurotic, mildly chunkie, fakied, heavily perfumed mistake for a ride for the night. Good luck. We're all counting on you.

Prosecco might be currently holding the cougar title belt - It's sophisticated!

Post-pandemic demand for EU sparkling wine spiked. Will the trend continue  in 2023? | Courthouse News Service

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, kwood4408 said:

This is 100% in line with what I see amongst my wife and her friends. Our weekly Prosecco bill is ridiculous. Started during Covid and has not slowed down.

It's the closest thing to female beer drinking I've ever seen.  1 bottle per woman per event seems to be pretty common.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bevo said:

I think you are underselling the neurotic part. I assume in your business that stereotype is a large source of profits but an even larger part of PIA customers.

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Well, I am not in the wine or spirits business, but I assume you’re right. I do believe if Texas were to sign this recruit named Kendall Jackson, some fun would be had on here with the fucking cheese puns, right up until Kirk Bohls or Chip Brown started doing something with it. 

I'm ashamed to admit I spent a solid 2-3 minutes trying to figure out how Kendall Jackson chardonnay fit into the hydraulics business.

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

It's the closest thing to female beer drinking I've ever seen.  1 bottle per woman per event seems to be pretty common.  

Positive outcome is that she doesn’t seem to notice when I slip a good bottle of whiskey in at the liquor store while getting her case of Prosecco.
  • Hook 'Em 1

(Justin Wells) Recruiting Notebook: 2024 OL Daniel Cruz

Inside Texas takes a closer look at North Richland Hills (Texas) Richland OL and On3 four-star Daniel Cruz in this edition of the Notebook.

How he fits at Texas:

Daniel Cruz is very quick and explosive off the ball. He plays multiple positions for Richland on either side of the line of scrimmage and could probably be effective in college as either a two-gapping nose tackle or an offensive lineman. Cruz is pretty quick in his kick step and certainly on the move in the run game, his ability to get off the ball would be truly valuable for Kyle Flood at center. He doesn’t lack power for battling with defensive linemen and his athleticism is useful in initiating engagements, which matters when you’re a center trying to execute combo blocks with your teammates at guard. Cruz should be a dominant interior lineman in a zone scheme with the quickness to hit lateral targets and the power to move people off the ball when he gets there. – Ian Boyd

Coach Says:

Strengths — Good height for interior line. Great hip and knee bend. Good ankle flexion with very good balance in and out of a two or three point stance. Arm length is good for interior line. Excellent hand placement. Locks out quickly with a straight back. On run blocking, is quick and low off the snap and reaches really well. Good straight line speed for size. He will show good feet on pulling and climbs to the next level with ease. Technical blocker who will play through the whistle. Strong against the bull rush. On pass protection, plays with independent hands. Kicks out properly at 45 degree and doesn’t frequently overset. At least a few nice highlights of him covering the inside gap against a change of direction. Even his opponent highlights have flattering film of him.

Areas for Improvement / Concerns — Will need a little more size to play inside in Flood’s scheme. Doesn’t consistently line up the moving target at the second level. Sometimes inconsistent on transferring lower body power. Could be an emergency tackle, but speed rush at next level might be a challenge.

How this affects Texas:

Kyle Flood identifies his center take every cycle and Cruz passes the smell test. The 6-foot-3, 275-pounder is small for Flood’s usual template, but his ability on the interior is uncanny and he’s a natural fit. Texas has gone big on the offensive line after the last two cycles, but it feels like four is the number for this class. Cruz fits in that center spot, and despite offers from Ohio State, Michigan, Florida, LSU, and Penn State, Texas leads this recruitment by a large margin. – Justin Wells

Cruz is the No. 426 overall prospect and No. 26 interior offensive lineman in the 2024 cycle, according to the On3 Industry Ranking, a weighted industry-generated average that utilizes all four major recruiting media companies. He is also the No. 70 player in Texas. On3 rates Cruz higher than other recruiting services. Per the 2024 On300, he is the No. 152 overall prospect, No. 5 interior offensive lineman, and No. 34 player in Texas.

• Hook 'Em 6

4 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

I know this kid.  His dad is a big M&A lawyer at VE.

Good family and smart kid.  I bet he goes to an Ivy.

He would be dumb not to go Ivy - Become the first player from St. Johns to play football in the SEC (maybe as a preferred walk-on) or have a straightforward path to partner at Vincent Elkins.

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

He would be dumb not to go Ivy - Become the first player from St. Johns to play football in the SEC (maybe as a preferred walk-on) or have a straightforward path to partner at Vincent Elkins.

Not really what you’re talking about, but he won’t work at V&E if his dad is there. Strict anti-nepotism policy. But those guys all belong to the same CC and he’s have a foot in the door at Baker Botts or wherever. 

22 hours ago, Scholz said:

My wife loves the Prosecco or Cava.  She mixes it with some liqueur: blackcurrant, raspberry, blackberry, etc. and makes her a shit ton of Kir Royales.  That's her go to.

This is my wife’s go to as well. Will damn near bankrupt me buying Vueve (but she lets me touch her good bits afterwards so worth it)

20 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

You think I have the time, and much more importantly the deadpan self-control, to be posting as Texifornia over the course of the last decade? There is only so much time in the day, sir. Also, I had to google Aperol Spritz. 

I thought he was saying Aerosol spritz, and I was trying to figure how he was able to get Prosecco in a can with condensed pressurized air and how hard core that would be to get drunk on, like cougar whippets 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

Not really what you’re talking about, but he won’t work at V&E if his dad is there. Strict anti-nepotism policy. But those guys all belong to the same CC and he’s have a foot in the door at Baker Botts or wherever. 

I didn't know that. I guess it is hard to make someone do 70hrs of grunt work a week when their dad is your golfing buddy. It didn't stop Liddell Sapp Zivley Hill and LaBoon (Locke Lord) from hiring Jeff Love, the son of Texas Commerce's Ben Love, to be a rainmaker at the firm. I guess that is different though because money. Anyway, the St. Johns' dude would probably be better off studying in the Ivy League and playing football. That's the decision I would make.

Edited by Bevo

16 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

This is my wife’s go to as well. Will damn near bankrupt me buying Vueve (but she lets me touch her good bits afterwards so worth it)

I thought he was saying Aerosol spritz, and I was trying to figure how he was able to get Prosecco in a can with condensed pressurized air and how hard core that would be to get drunk on, like cougar whippets 

Bankrupt you? You've got to be making bank with your full-time job and the podcast side.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I didn't know that. I guess it is hard to make someone do 70hrs of grunt work a week when their dad is your golfing buddy. It didn't stop Liddell Sapp Zivley Hill and LaBoon (Locke Lord) from hiring Jeff Love, the son of Texas Commerce's Ben Love, to be a rainmaker at the firm. I guess that is different though because money. Anyway, the St. Johns' dude would probably be better off studying in the Ivy League and playing football. That's the decision I would make.

Funny story about Jeff Love. I was at UHLC at the time and was at Locke Lord for an interview. They used to do these big "cattle call" style call-backs where the put us all in a room together at first then broke us out all over the firm for individual interview. It was pretty chaotic and I'll be honest made me lose interest in the firm. I didn't love the lawyers I interviewed with either. 

After all the interviews were done we go the firm's lunch / dining / reception room to eat. This older guy - Jeff Love - walks up to me and shakes my hand. He introduces himself and says he went to high school with my mom. He tells me some good stories and is generally charming as hell. Talking to him was by far and away the best part of that day and it really stood out. What's crazy is that he went and did that with every law student there. I doubt he went to high school with all of their moms but he probably had some personal anecdote that he was able to share. You hear about that level of charisma but it is something else to see it in person. 

53 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

Funny story about Jeff Love. I was at UHLC at the time and was at Locke Lord for an interview. They used to do these big "cattle call" style call-backs where the put us all in a room together at first then broke us out all over the firm for individual interview. It was pretty chaotic and I'll be honest made me lose interest in the firm. I didn't love the lawyers I interviewed with either. 

After all the interviews were done we go the firm's lunch / dining / reception room to eat. This older guy - Jeff Love - walks up to me and shakes my hand. He introduces himself and says he went to high school with my mom. He tells me some good stories and is generally charming as hell. Talking to him was by far and away the best part of that day and it really stood out. What's crazy is that he went and did that with every law student there. I doubt he went to high school with all of their moms but he probably had some personal anecdote that he was able to share. You hear about that level of charisma but it is something else to see it in person. 

Maybe he has toned it down over the years. I met him years ago when a girlfriend took me to the firm's Christmas party - I told him I worked at MD Anderson and he proceeded to tell me that he was on the board and then used every multisyllabic word in the dictionary. Nobody speaks like that and we lived down the block from Percy Foreman so it wasn't like I was new to the English language. Pedantic and grandiloquent would be short-selling. Anyway, apparently we had too much fun at the Christmas party - We were alone on the dance floor and I was probably doing my signature combo gator-hand jive move - She got reprimanded. She learned that she wanted no part in big law. And I learned a special hatred for boring people at boring parties.

Edited by Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 2

59 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Maybe he has toned it down over the years. I met him years ago when a girlfriend took me to the firm's Christmas party - I told him I worked at MD Anderson and he proceeded to tell me that he was on the board and then used every multisyllabic word in the dictionary. Nobody speaks like that and we lived down the block from Percy Foreman so it wasn't like I was new to the English language. Pedantic and grandiloquent would be short-selling. Anyway, apparently we had too much fun at the Christmas party - We were alone on the dance floor and I was probably doing my signature combo gator-hand jive move - She got reprimanded. She learned that she wanted no part in big law. And I learned a special hatred for boring people at boring parties.

Honestly, your experience tracks more with what I know about and have seen from the firm culture at Locke Lord. Love was charming at the interview, but he was also "selling" the firm to us at the time. Probably very different once you're working there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls