Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

2 hours ago, Park Gothic said:

Funny story about Jeff Love. I was at UHLC at the time and was at Locke Lord for an interview. They used to do these big "cattle call" style call-backs where the put us all in a room together at first then broke us out all over the firm for individual interview. It was pretty chaotic and I'll be honest made me lose interest in the firm. I didn't love the lawyers I interviewed with either. 

After all the interviews were done we go the firm's lunch / dining / reception room to eat. This older guy - Jeff Love - walks up to me and shakes my hand. He introduces himself and says he went to high school with my mom. He tells me some good stories and is generally charming as hell. Talking to him was by far and away the best part of that day and it really stood out. What's crazy is that he went and did that with every law student there. I doubt he went to high school with all of their moms but he probably had some personal anecdote that he was able to share. You hear about that level of charisma but it is something else to see it in person. 

He keeps a notebook and updates it several times a day. Seriously.  He's told me stuff about my grandfathers that I hadn't ever heard. 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It is hard to fathom the notion that this thread has actually taken a turn for the worse from vagina steaming, but sure enough, here we are, discussing boring ass lawyer shit and Bevo getting his girlfriend fired due to his antics at a Christmas party. Christ. 

Also, fuck Baker Botts and all of the big firms like them. It always disheartens me to discover that posters I semi-respect or like are, in fact, giant legal firm robotic shitheels poking their sticks in the wheel of progress for business people time and time again.

That's because all the lawyers care about is the chedda, while us business owners need to brie-lieve in a long term business vision.  This is as gouda I could do.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It is hard to fathom the notion that this thread has actually taken a turn for the worse from vagina steaming, but sure enough, here we are, discussing boring ass lawyer shit and Bevo getting his girlfriend fired due to his antics at a Christmas party. Christ. 

Also, fuck Baker Botts and all of the big firms like them. It always disheartens me to discover that posters I semi-respect or like are, in fact, giant legal firm robotic shitheels poking their sticks in the wheel of progress for business people time and time again.

space-jam-remark.gif

... but seriously fuck big law. Just a miserable existence. 

58 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It's much better when we discuss things like Taylor Hamm being fired at his pool company's Christmas party (do they call it a 'pool party?') for being a complete shit heel. Speaking of ham, Geoff Ketchum is a greasy, drooling fatass. That's goudanough for now.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

He keeps a notebook and updates it several times a day. Seriously.  He's told me stuff about my grandfathers that I hadn't ever heard. 

Yes he does. I saw Jeff at the Santa Fe airport some years back.  We stopped to chat for a minute and he told me to make sure I told my grandparents happy anniversary next Wednesday.

He does have quite the vocabulary.

58 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Yes he does. I saw Jeff at the Santa Fe airport some years back.  We stopped to chat for a minute and he told me to make sure I told my grandparents happy anniversary next Wednesday.

He does have quite the vocabulary.

Jeff Love stories are not what I expected to see in the recruiting thread, but  he was a recruiting and rainmaking machine

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Maybe it would make you feel better to know that they are billing you $1000/hr. to post emojis on Surly.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Edam right! This is a true American statement, the Cream of the crop, and with no String attached. 

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

Maybe it would make you feel better to know that they are billing you $1000/hr. to post emojis on Surly.

It’s a part of my workday. I don’t itemize my time. You’re not getting a gd receipt. This is not Wendy’s. On time, on budget, and I’ll take as much surly time as I damn well please. Service businesses are not manageable in the minutia. Deliver agreed upon service within agreed upon parameters and how you get there is your own gd business. 

Edit to add: Well, it’s not entirely your own business. I don’t live in Austin now, but our company recently hired/fired a guy who is there and for the 3 weeks he lasted, he attempted to outsource his job to India. We’re fully virtual so he tried to just “check in” and attend meetings and send us shit late at night. We figured it out and it turns out this dude was trying to fund a software startup. CEO made him video call her when she figured out he was at a conference in Vegas and fired him lol. 

Edited by Ricky's one-hitter
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

It’s a part of my workday. I don’t itemize my time. You’re not getting a gd receipt. This is not Wendy’s. On time, on budget, and I’ll take as much surly time as I damn well please. Service businesses are not manageable in the minutia. Deliver agreed upon service within agreed upon parameters and how you get there is your own gd business. 

That sounds well rehearsed.

ESPN 300 updated.  It's all over the place.  Texas top 100 as well.  Here's both.  Also, they don't have Alex January in the top 100 in Texas.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2024/order/true

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/playerrankings/_/state/texas/class/2024/view/state

Edited by Elmer_Fudd
  • Rage+1 1

38 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

ESPN 300 updated.  It's all over the place.  Texas top 100 as well.  Here's both.  Also, they don't have Alex January in the top 100 in Texas.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2024/order/true

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/playerrankings/_/state/texas/class/2024/view/state

This threw me off for a few seconds

QB-DT Carlsbad, CA
Carlsbad High School
6'2''  

47 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I looked at the ESPN list and it looks like Georgia and tOSU are about full. Given that it is mid-April, the number of commits to those two schools is staggering.

20 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Even better, my first job out of UT while I was taking a decade to get my shit together, was to run the mailrooms of a variety of the big firms in downtown Austin.  Got some good stories out of it, including possibly the least surprising bit of news ever.  “Z, I need you to do all the copies yourself.  Highly confidential!” So of course I read the filing… our firm was defending Dennis Rodman for knowingly banging a chick while he had a herpes flare up and she sued him.  Well no shit, girl.  Dennis Rodman?  Herpes?  Color me shocked.  Made me sad thinking about Carmen Electra though… that poor vagina of hers smh 

Edited by Zhorn96
  • Haha 6

7 hours ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

Did you pull this from the early 1900’s southern gentleman’s handbook?

Why do they need unlimited official visits? give me a good reason why 5 isn't enough.

6 hours ago, Texas Wahoo said:

image.png.7f6065ea8bd2ff7359ecffe6cdf72f62.png

Sorry brother NIL exist now, dead meme.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

12 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Freddie Dubose told Orangebloods that Brennen Marion was "not very good at recruiting."

It seems like the new WR coach, Chris Jackson, is doing a much better job on that front.

So Texas pulled in Cook, Niblett, and Moore despite Marion, not because of him?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Park Gothic said:

So Texas pulled in Cook, Niblett, and Moore despite Marion, not because of him?

This is a silly discussion. Dubose was a priority target and all Texas before he tore his ACL and Texas pumped the brakes a bit. Was Marion the most charismatic and authentic recruiter on staff? No. Is he a bad recruiter because that made Freddie feel bad? Also, no. 

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Why do they need unlimited official visits? give me a good reason why 5 isn't enough.

The only reason you're saying "5" at all is because "5" has been the artificial cap based on nothing. The kids still have to earn the invite from the school, and schools still have the autonomy to be discretionary in who they invite for an official. I cannot understand the "you've had enough" position at all. 

Edited by Ricky's one-hitter
  • Hook 'Em 5

28 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

This is a silly discussion. Dubose was a priority target and all Texas before he tore his ACL and Texas pumped the brakes a bit. Was Marion the most charismatic and authentic recruiter on staff? No. Is he a bad recruiter because that made Freddie feel bad? Also, no. 

The only reason you're saying "5" at all is because "5" has been the artificial cap based on nothing. The kids still have to earn the invite from the school, and schools still have the autonomy to be discretionary in who they invite for an official. I cannot understand the "you've had enough" position at all. 

So if schools have that autonomy then why need more than 5? Artificial or not 5 was working and I can't think of a reason why more than 5 is needed but I'm all ears if you have reasons. 

11 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Don't schools have a maximum number of official visits they're allowed to host? If that hasn't/doesn't change then this new rule will probably be beneficial for the top 10% of prospects who would have a roster spot reserved at any school no matter what so long as they're actually interested in that school. I'm sure staffs are smart enough to sniff out the ones that have no interest in actually going to that school & are just looking for money & a good time on their 10th visit.

imagine looking at the situation out there and saying "yeah, fuck them kids - 5 OVs is perfect"

...very very very seriously: who cares how many they take. i certainly don't. and i don't think that visits in the form of UOVs to places further away should be only accessible to kids whose parents can pay for it.

• Hook 'Em 7

5 minutes ago, NoName said:

imagine looking at the situation out there and saying "yeah, fuck them kids - 5 OVs is perfect"

...very very very seriously: who cares how many they take. i certainly don't. and i don't think that visits in the form of UOVs to places further away should be only accessible to kids whose parents can pay for it.

Yeah drive that NIL price up when we can't even pay a 5 star TE 300k to land him.  That's literally what it will do is continue to drive up the prices. So instead of dealing with 4 other serious competitors to land a kid you'll have 9 throwing a pitch and cash at them. 

It's just as dumb as throwing out free transer + NIL at the same time. 

12 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yeah drive that NIL price up when we can't even pay a 5 star TE 300k to land him.  That's literally what it will do is continue to drive up the prices. So instead of dealing with 4 other serious competitors to land a kid you'll have 9 throwing a pitch and cash at them. 

It's just as dumb as throwing out free transer + NIL at the same time. 

So what you're saying is that they'll get a better idea of their value in an open market?

• Hook 'Em 8

Imagine you're gaining some recognition in your career and multiple companies are recruiting you to come in and interview for an executive position and then go out to dinner on their dime, but there is some dumb law that you can only interview with 5 companies. 

Let the kids have as many damn visits as they want.

• Hook 'Em 3

17 minutes ago, Sock Monkey said:

Imagine you're gaining some recognition in your career and multiple companies are recruiting you to come in and interview for an executive position and then go out to dinner on their dime, but there is some dumb law that you can only interview with 5 companies. 

Let the kids have as many damn visits as they want.

Sure, but have them sign a commitment letter saying they can't decommit if they do choose your school. 

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls