Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

2 hours ago, golfclap said:

Kadavion Dotson (WR) also likes Texas and is going to be a legit prospect. 

https://www.hudl.com/profile/15253102/KaDavion-DotsonWalker

Freshman highlights look pretty good. In a couple clips he has a slow first step but once he hits second gear, he has speed.

Unsure if he played varsity or not. If so, it's a really good tape. If he played on the freshman team, then I'd hope to see a little more.

Wells on January (mostly nothing)

Spoiler

DE Michael January, Duncanville (2024):
At first glance, he resembles the other giants at D’Ville. At 6’3, 250, that seems to be the standard for the Panthers linemen. Then you realize he’s a freshman.

After speaking with coaches, they made a point to make sure we understood his upside. Then you speak with him.

He sounds like he’s a professional with interviews, intelligent, and humble. His father played linebacker at UT in the 80s. Then you notice he’s wearing Texas gear in the halls.

TFB: Observations from Under Armour Camp

Spoiler

DEFENSE

*** 2024 Parish Episcopal DB Daniel Demery is a candidate to spin down later in his career. His lower body is ginormous and he still has potential to grow. Will be a dude to follow.

*** DeSoto had a pair of cornerbacks that turned heads. 2024 Mario Buford is going to be special, he had a great day in coverage. And 2022 CB Devyn Bobby has picked up some smaller offers, but had one-on-one wins against Texas A&M commit Donovan Green, Evan Stewart and several others.

*** One day after winning the 6A State Championship on the hardwood, 2024 Duncanville DE Colin Simmons was in action. As a 6’4″ freshman, he’s going up against Jaylen Early and Cam Williams in practice everyday. Imagine the monster he will be in three years.

• Hook 'Em 1

A lot of the best of the 2024 class were in Houston for 7v7, so I don't know how complete the updates for WR/DB in that class would be based on this one event. 

Some further notes on Buford here ::

- 2024 DeSoto cornerback Mario Buford is emerging early as one of the best defensive backs in his class. The younger brother of Nebraska freshman Marques Buford, Mario is getting early college attention his brother didn’t at the same stage. He already holds offers from Nebraska, Oregon and Mississippi State. He can’t talk with the staff much because he’s just a freshman but he’s hearing glowing early reviews from his older brother’s experience. He spoke very highly of the way Nebraska has embraced him and his family since they began recruiting his older brother saying the staff feels like a part of their family now. It’s also worth noting that the main coach he’s talked to up till this point is Scott Frost. It is still really early, but he’s looking for a great education and a home atmosphere. He has high academic expectations, hoping to graduate high school with a 4.0 GPA.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Roach

Spoiler

— 2024 Flower Mound Marcus quarterback Cole Welliver will get his first chance to start on varsity next fall, but he's already drawing quite a few eyes. Having seen him throw a few times in person, I feel confident in saying that Welliver will be one of the top passers in the country when his class comes around. Welliver moved from the pacific northwest where he previously lived and is close with fellow northwest transplant and new Texas offer Ashton Cozart. Cozart is expected to visit Austin in June the weekend the large group of 2023 prospects are coming. I'd expect Welliver to join him on the trip as well.

Wells

Spoiler

RB/ATH Jason Brown Jr, O'Dea HS (Seattle, WA) (2024):

The 5-foot-10, 180-pound freshman sensation picked up a big offer last week. The University of Texas came calling and extended him the verbal invitation. It makes five offers for the Seattle native, including Washington, USC, Utah, and Nevada.

“It’s been a blessing to see school as big as Texas showing interest in me," Brown said. "It's amazing and I’m really excited to prove to the coaches that I can play at a high level.”

It's so early for Brown to have any schools separating, and he just enjoys the attention from each staff.

“Right now, I’d love to see all of them," said Brown. "What each university has to offer and what feel the school gives me. I’m in disbelief that I have these opportunities so early, so I’m going to take advantage of it.”

Texas has some roots from the state of Washington, and used them to get in on the ground early for the talented tailback.

“The offer is beyond words, like I said earlier, it’s a blessing to have a school like Texas have such confidence in me," Brown explained. "Just having a conversation with the coaches, they seem really genuine and respect my game. I’m excited and I can’t wait to see their production this year.”

• 2 weeks later...

Wells

Spoiler

DL David Stone, Del City (Oklahoma City, OK) (2024):

The large sophomore just north of the Red River is a young specimen. Defensive end, defensive line, tight end, at 6-foot-4, 240-pounds, David Stone is impressive.

Seven offers already for the sophomore-to-be including Texas, Iowa State, Baylor, Oklahoma State, and Texas A&M.

“I honestly would like to visit as many schools as possible and I do know that this June, I will be going to Texas A&M, OU, and maybe OSU," said Stone.

It might be early, but Stone is all ready to get recruited.

“So far, it’s been pretty good,” said Stone. “But I do hope after the dead period is lifted, it’s an even better experience.”

His college expectations are simple and fair.

“As far as what I'm looking for in a program; good relationships with the coaches, players, and staff and somewhere where we can win." Stone said.

What about UT, deep in Oklahoma territory?

“To get an offer from Texas is just something amazing,” Stone said. “I mean, it’s a huge deal really. I’m so thankful for it and hopefully I can meet the rest of the coaches to build a good relationship.”

He also lettered in basketball and track and field this spring, and tallied 19 tackles, eight tackles for loss, and one interception in six games on varsity last fall.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Wells

Hide contents

DL David Stone, Del City (Oklahoma City, OK) (2024):

The large sophomore just north of the Red River is a young specimen. Defensive end, defensive line, tight end, at 6-foot-4, 240-pounds, David Stone is impressive.

Seven offers already for the sophomore-to-be including Texas, Iowa State, Baylor, Oklahoma State, and Texas A&M.

“I honestly would like to visit as many schools as possible and I do know that this June, I will be going to Texas A&M, OU, and maybe OSU," said Stone.

It might be early, but Stone is all ready to get recruited.

“So far, it’s been pretty good,” said Stone. “But I do hope after the dead period is lifted, it’s an even better experience.”

His college expectations are simple and fair.

“As far as what I'm looking for in a program; good relationships with the coaches, players, and staff and somewhere where we can win." Stone said.

What about UT, deep in Oklahoma territory?

“To get an offer from Texas is just something amazing,” Stone said. “I mean, it’s a huge deal really. I’m so thankful for it and hopefully I can meet the rest of the coaches to build a good relationship.”

He also lettered in basketball and track and field this spring, and tallied 19 tackles, eight tackles for loss, and one interception in six games on varsity last fall.

This is the type of kid I follow for a year and a half then goes to OU/LSU…

• 2 weeks later...

Wells (including a 2025 note in here because it's too early to start a thread)

Spoiler

QB Cole Welliver, FM Marcus (Flower Mound, TX) (2024): The 6’5 Seattle transplant throws an absolutely beautiful ball. Better than that, he spoke to Texas and AJ Milwee yesterday. That relationship is in its infancy stages, but the Horns have his attention.

CB Aeryn Hampton, Daingerfield (2024): He’ll be one of the state‘s top targets in a few years. Elite traits. He’ll be in Austin for UOV in late June.

WR Jadyn Robinson, undetermined (2025): The 5’7 eighth grader was really strong at Margin Hooks’ camp today. California-raised, the Long Beach native recently moved to the Spring area. I only mention him because he was embarrassing juniors and seniors today. Remember the name.

IT

Spoiler

ATX CAMPING

CB Aeryn Hampton, Daingerfield (Daingerfield, TX) - 2024

At 5-foot-10, 180, the explosive corner/athlete has a busy schedule. He’s beginning June in Notre Dame, UTSA, and Oklahoma State, and then Texas on June 27th.

He’s heard from a handful of programs including Texas, Alabama, OU, Texas A&M, and Florida State. He’s a name to know.

ATH Elijah Jackson, Archer City (Archer City, TX) - 2024: The sophomore-to-be is one of the more intriguing prospects in the 2024 cycle.

At 6-foot-1, 190 pounds, Jackson played quarterback and linebacker in his first varsity action; 372 yards, five touchdowns, and 58 tackles, eight forced fumbles, seven tackles for loss, and one sack.

Jackson tells IT he’s spoke to the Texas staff, who sees him as a linebacker or safety at the next level.

CB Jaden Allen, Aledo (Aledo, TX) - 2024: The little brother of UT commit, Bryan Allen, is a potential dog in his own right. He’ll be locking down one side for Aledo this fall, with BJ playing safety behind him.

Mississippi State offered, and he’ll have a bunch more. He’ll see Alabama on June 5th, Oklahoma State on June 7th, and Texas on June 10th. He’s quite familiar with Austin and that certainly helps here early.

On 3/11/2021 at 7:13 PM, Elmer_Fudd said:

Was he on the freshman or JV team this past season?  Where's our resident LT fan?

sorry just saw this. yes, Jacob Henry was on the freshman team in the Fall. he did well. he was put on varsity during the spring and had some nice reps during the spring game. kid is going to be a monster. he is on varsity wrestling and power lifting, duh. he looks like he might end up being bigger than his Dad. 

he is a great kid. he is good friends with my youngest son, who is also a freshman. and yeah, he is a Longhorn through and through.

Edited by Longhorn94

16 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

sorry just saw this. yes, Jacob Henry was on the freshman team in the Fall. he did well. he was put on varsity during the spring and had some nice reps during the spring game. kid is going to be a monster. he is on varsity wrestling and power lifting, duh. he looks like he might end up being bigger than his Dad. 

he is a great kid. he is good friends with my youngest son, who is also a freshman. and yeah, he is a Longhorn through and through.

So a lock to Bama? I kid I kid.

(Mike Roach) Texas to host elite northwest program FSP for summer visit

Spoiler

This summer’s visit schedule will allow for some big national prospects to come through Austin.

Some of those prospects are already booked for a trip as several of the best from the Pacific Northwest will make the trip on June 8 when Ford Sports Performance brings their prospects on a tour of Texas.

FSP is one of the preeminent training programs for high school athletes in the country. Located in Bellevue, Washington, FSP is run by Tracy Ford and a staff of nearly twenty skills trainers and strength coaches working out of a 30,000 square foot facility. FSP’s 7v7 team, an extension of the training program, is one of the best teams in the country on a yearly basis. Ford works with multiple professional athletes and some of the best recruits in the country.

FSP’s 7v7 program includes alumni such as Sam Huard, Gee Scott Jr, Kelee Ringo, DJ Rogers, Sam Adams, JT Tuimoloau and many others. Pete Kwiatkowski and Jeff Choate both have familiarity with the program having recruited many of their athletes.

247Sports National Recruiting Editor Brandon Huffman’s home base is in Seattle, and he’s seen many of the FSP prospects develop from a young age. He provided some tidbits on each of the prospects scheduled to make the trip.

2024 ATH Brayden Platt, Yelm (Wa.)
"Just a freshman, he plays like he's a senior in college- he wants to hurt you when he hits you. Players will bounce off him in 7on7 and go down quick. He's as physical a linebacker I've seen at his age in a while."

Wells

Spoiler

QB Cole Welliver, Flower Mound Marcus (Flower Mound, TX) - 2024:

Relatively new to the Lone Star State, this soon-to-be sophomore is working the camp and training circuit. He's also bringing a few Marcus teammates for extra work. To him, that's just part of being a quarterback.

He's looking to improve and build bonds and timing with wide receivers this off-season, and throwing to Margin Hooks’ and Coach Flight's campers at John Paul II High School in Plano gives him that opportunity.

"I like building relationships with the receivers and competing the most," said Welliver. "It's my responsibility. My expectations this year are to be named the starter, making plays, winning games, and building bonds with teammates.”

It's still so early, but there are already a number of schools reaching out to the 6-foot-6, 200-pound signal-caller.

"Texas, really," said Welliver. "A lot of colleges send me links to their camps. I'd like to tour Arizona State this summer. Definitely want to see Texas. Also want to see Oklahoma."

From an eye test standpoint, Welliver resembles a redshirt freshman in college. It’s not just his 6-foot-6 stature, and it’s not just his cool and calm demeanor, but mostly his arm talent and sharp mechanics.

“I was just talking to Texas and coach (AJ) Milwee," said Welliver. "Texas is definitely a school I want to learn about."

Welliver played at Burien (Wash.) Kennedy Catholic as a freshman before moving to Texas. He’s one in a group of Seattle-area transplants to the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex.

With four offers early on, including Washington State, Arizona State, Colorado, and Florida Atlantic, he won’t be under the radar too much longer, especially in the state of Texas.

DB Jaydan Hardy, Lewisville (Lewisville, TX) - 2024:

When I say the Lewisville Farmers are loaded with underclassmen, this is the first player that pops in my head.

The 6-foot-1, 180-pounder started as a freshman for the Farmers defense in 2020.

His 61 tackles, two interceptions, one forced fumble, and one fumble recovery led to being named District 6-6A Defensive Newcomer of the year last season.

His father, Darryl Hardy, played linebacker for Tennessee and in the NFL for a period.

He has his June almost booked.

“I’ll be at SMU on June 5th, Oklahoma State on June 7th, Texas A&M on June 10th, LSU on June 18th, and Alabama on June 19th,” Hardy said.

Of his four early offers - LSU, Mississippi State, Tennessee, Illinois State - a number of programs have been in contact, including Texas.

“I’m still thinking about Texas on the (June) 24th,” Hardy said. “I may come down with Armani Winfield at some point too.”

Winfield, the 2022 Texas pledge, is set to take his official visit on June 18th-20th, and has been in Hardy’s ear a little about the Longhorns. It’s only natural for teammates.

He’ll be playing on both sides of the ball in 2021, starting at slot for new offensive coordinator Nick Olla’s offense, and at safety on defense. His high level of athleticism is hard to deny and only see him going up from here. Like his offer list.

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls