Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

The Huddle: Red River Recruiting Notes

Hudson Standish

Spoiler

The Huddle: Red River Recruiting Notes

Hudson Standish

— Lake Belton 2024 wide receiver Micah Hudson has lived up to his five-star status this season and after visiting Texas once over the offseason has made multiple gameday visits to DKR for the Alabama and West Virginia games. Hudson has given each Texas trip rave reviews and sources around the recruitment believe that the Horns have made a move with the CenTex wideout after appearing to be on the outside looking in over the summer.

One source told Horns247 that Hudson will be in attendance for the Red River Shootout this weekend. While Oklahoma will technically be the school hosting Hudson on the unofficial visit at the Cotton Bowl, Texas will have another chance to impress in front of one of their biggest priorities in the 2024 cycle. Hudson is also eyeing an October 22nd trip to Columbus for Ohio State vs. Iowa. The Buckeyes will be a school to monitor in this recruitment as they attempt to poach yet another five-star wideout from the state of Texas.

image.thumb.png.e233f1def0d050aa11ee55a5780d2a47.png

— Two other 2024 priorities scheduled to be in attendance at the Cotton Bowl are Allen EDGE Zina Umeozulu and Lucas Lovejoy linebacker Payton Pierce. The former teammates at Allen are extremely close and have both Texas and Oklahoma high on their lists halfway through their junior seasons. Pierce and Umeozulu visited Texas for the Alabama game earlier this season.

image.thumb.png.f159b9c9f587204c8d3b6f9712bca513.png

Dominant win over OU has 5-star DE Colin Simmons looking at Texas even more

Jason Suchomel • Orangebloods

Spoiler

Duncanville defensive end Colin Simmons is off to a fast start to the season, making plays in the offensive backfield and helping his team get off to a 5-0 start. The five-star defender estimates that he’s at double-digit sacks on the year, but he feels like he’s capable of much more.

“Honestly right now, I’m just warming up. I haven’t even gotten hot yet,” Simmons said. “I feel like from now on, I’m going to show everyone what’s really me. So far, I’m doing well, averaging a couple sacks a game. I’m playing the run, rushing the passer. But I feel like I can do way more than that.”

Ranked as the No. 4 player in the country in the 2024 class, Simmons is already a hot commodity with a tremendous skill set. He’s showing off his versatility this year, but said there are still areas in which he can improve.

“I feel like I’m showing everything, especially playing the run game. I’ve really been good stopping the run. I’m more explosive off the ball this year, coming with a quick first step. I just feel like I’m faster,” Simmons said. “I can get better using my hands. I have good hands, but I feel like that can be 10 times better.”

On the recruiting front, Simmons has more than 40 scholarship offers. The Texas Longhorns are one of the teams that’s in hot pursuit, and the Texas staff was in touch on Saturday night after UT thrashed Oklahoma 49-0.

“The way Texas did OU, that was crazy,” Simmons said. “They hit me up (on Saturday night), just asking if I saw the game, sending me articles, things like that.”

Texas has always been a team that’s been in the thick of the race for Simmons, but he said after watching the performance the Longhorns put together on Saturday, Texas is in an even stronger position.

“It made me feel like Texas is back to the top program they used to be whenever I see stuff like that. It made me look at them even more,” Simmons said.

The 6-3, 225-pound Simmons is hoping to get to Austin for a Texas game at some point this fall but has yet to lock anything down. He did hit an LSU game earlier this year and the Tigers will be a strong contender for his signature.

“What’s not to like about LSU? It feels like Texas, just smaller. The diversity is great out there,” Simmons said. “The people there, they just feel so welcoming. I love LSU.”

Simmons said he’s considering a trip to Florida this weekend to watch the Gators host LSU.

Yes, please. Need more edges and more Duncanville players. 

https://247sports.com/player/colin-simmons-46113991/

Edited by Hornlover
  • Hook 'Em 4

A couple more quotes from Hudson about the game via OB

Spoiler

2. Texas has impressed Micah Hudson in back-to-back weeks

Texas has pushed a lot of the right buttons with 2024 wide receiver Micah Hudson in the last couple of weeks. The Lake Belton standout was in Austin for the West Virginia game and last weekend he was at the Cotton Bowl to watch the Horns thump Oklahoma. Interestingly, he attended the Texas-OU game as a guest of Oklahoma’s since the Sooners were the home team, but Hudson would wind up leaving the recruit section to sit with some friends.

Looking back at his trip to the Forty Acres to watch Texas handle West Virginia, Hudson said he liked the experience overall, including what he saw from the UT offense.

“The West Virginia game was a good game. I like how they move the ball around,” Hudson said. “Xavier Worthy threw a TD, but I’m a receiver. I like to see more of a receiver touchdown. Quinn (Ewers) was down, so you could see how (Worthy) didn’t get as many targets but I thought the offense played well.”

On the offensive performance against Oklahoma …

“That was a good game. They moved the ball around to everybody. Even the backups got to touch the ball. I like how they have the motions, don’t just keep it to one thing. They have a lot of plays to mess up the defense.”

The Texas offense made an impression, but so did the Texas fan base. OU fans? Not so much.

“It was a good environment. OU fans were kind of obnoxious at first, yelling ‘Texas sucks,’ stuff like that. Doing Horns down. Texas fans didn’t care, they were being respectful to OU, clapping when the band was going. Texas fans were way more respectful, but still cheering on their team the whole time. They stayed until everybody was off the field. With about two minutes left, the OU side was cleared out but the Texas fans stayed until the end.

“(Texas fans) really showed love to all their people. They even know the backups that are in. They’re not just watching one player, they really know all the players and want to support them. They really care about the team and the organization.”

There’s still a long way to go in this one and the Longhorns will have to find off some tough competition, but things are trending up for Texas after the last couple of weeks.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Is Julian Sayin LSU bound?  Georgia is getting a run of picks for a 2024 QB.  Know it was always doubtful he'd come here if we landed Arch.

Gerry said on the IT recruiting podcast that Sayin told him straight up he isn't coming to Texas after Arch committed. I think the 2024 QB will have to be a Charles Wright type.

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls