Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

The Huddle: Tuesday recruiting notes ('24)

Hudson Standish

Spoiler

The Huddle: Tuesday recruiting notes ('24)

Hudson Standish

— As I mentioned last week Lake Belton 2024 five-star wide receiver Micah Hudson will take a visit this weekend to Columbus to watch Ohio State take on the Iowa Hawkeyes. Hudson will make the trip to Ohio State with a number of coaches from Lake Belton and is excited to get a look at the Buckeyes for the first time.

The four schools we're hearing about the most for Hudson right now are Ohio State, Texas, Tennessee, and Texas Tech. Ohio State has been a school Hudson has been high on for a while considering the comparisons made with current New York Jet Garrett Wilson and a source told us that Ohio State head coach Ryan Day is Hudson's primary recruiter and the coach that is doing the best job recruiting him at the moment. Texas has surged this fall after Hudson has watched the Horns play their three best games of the year in person against Alabama, West Virginia, and Oklahoma.

Tennessee's electric offense speaks for itself and Texas Tech has managed to punch above their weight in this recruitment due to Joey McGuire's relentless pursuit and Hudson's father playing football at Texas Tech. Hudson isn't close to formalizing a top schools group, but these are the four that we're hearing about the most at the moment.

('24)
— One visitor that flew under the radar this past weekend was LaGrangeville (NY) Arlington offensive lineman Colin Cubberly. This was the New York native's second visit to Austin after making the trip with his father over the summer for the elite bash recruiting event where he earned an offer from fellow New Yorker Kyle Flood.

Cubberly, his father, and coaches from Arlington high school returned for last weekend's game and the 6-foot-6, 300-pounder spoke with Horns247 about the visit.

"I had a great time," he said. The atmosphere was amazing and it was such a good game. The conversations with coach (Kyle) Flood were great and we talked a lot about Saturday's game and my game from Friday which he watched. It was so good to catch up with him and talk in person again."

image.thumb.png.49e98cd277eb85499d88b15a4f575741.png

• Hook 'Em 1

USC decommit Dylan Williams interested in Texas

Eric Nahlin•about 13 hours

Article written by:Eric Nahlin

Dylan Williams (Chad Simmons/On3)

Long Beach (Calif.) Poly has sent its share of players to nearby University of Southern California but the Trojan coaching staff will have to continue to recruit linebacker Dylan Williams after the 2024 On3 Consensus four-star de-committed earlier today. He originally committed back in April.

Inside Texas briefly caught up with Williams to gauge his level of interest in the University of Texas. He states his interest is high.

Like with many prospects who commit early, Williams felt he shortchanged himself out of a once in a lifetime opportunity so he opened his recruitment up in order “to explore all my options and get the full experience.”

He originally committed to USC because it’s the “hometown school, close to home and family, love the fit, the area, the weather, and I’m great with the coaching staff.”

Certainly USC will remain a threat, and possibly the favorite, to sign Williams. However, he states “for sure I want to hear from Texas, Georgia, Alabama, Oklahoma, Ohio State. And Texas A&M, Florida, Tennessee, I just want to explore out east.”

It’s not uncommon for recruits to fish for offers, but Williams seems genuine in his interest in Texas, “I want to visit soon. Maybe very soon.”

When asked the allure of Texas, he responded, “I played football my freshman year with Larry Turner-Gooden. I wouldn’t mind playing with him again.”

On Hudl, Williams seems to have all the necessary physical and athletic traits to be a successful inside linebacker on the next level, at a minimum. Good speed and change of direction, coupled with physicality and striking ability. Recognition looks good, but that would require more film study to have a better understanding of that important trait. After talking to him, he clearly has some snap.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2022 at 7:05 AM, BurntOrange&White said:

Long Beach (Calif.) Poly has sent its share of players to nearby University of Southern California but the Trojan coaching staff will have to continue to recruit linebacker Dylan Williams after the 2024 On3 Consensus four-star de-committed earlier today. He originally committed back in April.

Inside Texas briefly caught up with Williams to gauge his level of interest in the University of Texas. He states his interest is high.

Like with many prospects who commit early, Williams felt he shortchanged himself out of a once in a lifetime opportunity so he opened his recruitment up in order “to explore all my options and get the full experience.”

He originally committed to USC because it’s the “hometown school, close to home and family, love the fit, the area, the weather, and I’m great with the coaching staff.”

Certainly USC will remain a threat, and possibly the favorite, to sign Williams. However, he states “for sure I want to hear from Texas, Georgia, Alabama, Oklahoma, Ohio State. And Texas A&M, Florida, Tennessee, I just want to explore out east.”

It’s not uncommon for recruits to fish for offers, but Williams seems genuine in his interest in Texas, “I want to visit soon. Maybe very soon.”

When asked the allure of Texas, he responded, “I played football my freshman year with Larry Turner-Gooden. I wouldn’t mind playing with him again.”

On Hudl, Williams seems to have all the necessary physical and athletic traits to be a successful inside linebacker on the next level, at a minimum. Good speed and change of direction, coupled with physicality and striking ability. Recognition looks good, but that would require more film study to have a better understanding of that important trait. After talking to him, he clearly has some snap.

https://247sports.com/player/dylan-williams-46118415/

New 2024 offers 

Trey Owens, QB, Cypress (Texas) Cy-Fair – 2024

Texas has been watching Owens for the longest, as we’ve mentioned at IT over the last six months. At 6-foot-4, 195 pounds, he’s the prototypical pocket passer and loves what the Texas offense can do for him at the next level.

Baylor, Texas Tech, SMU, and Houston have offered, but the Texas offer really hit hard on Thursday. It’s safe to say the Longhorns are the current leader in this recruitment. He’ll also be in Lubbock for the Texas Tech-Baylor game on November 12th. Does he have a timetable for a decision?

“Probably next summer,” Owens told Inside Texas.

Elija Loftin, TE, Las Vegas (Nev.) Bishop Gorman – 2024

The 6-foot-1, 215-pound On3 Consensus four-star picked up his Texas invitation on Thursday. Loftin holds offers from Colorado, Nevada, Hawaii, and UNLV. His Texas offer was his first major offer in the junior’s career, and he’s very eager to see Austin soon, possibly early in 2023.

Loftin is the No. 294 overall prospect and No. 17-ranked in the 2024 cycle. Jeff Banks doesn’t care about star rankings, rather talented fits in the Texas offensive scheme.

Dylan Williams, LB, Long Beach (Calif.) Long Beach Poly – 2024

One of the top rising linebackers in the country continues to stack offers. Texas extended one on Thursday for the On3 Consensus four-star and now has 17 total.

At 6-foot-2.5, 205 pounds, USC and UCLA are the early leaders in this recruitment. Arizona State, Michigan State, and Florida State have also thrown their hats in the ring. He took an unofficial to USC last month as well.

“I want to visit Texas soon,” Williams told IT. “Maybe very soon. I played football my freshman year with (Texas safety) Larry Turner-Gooden. I wouldn’t mind playing with him again.”

Texas has also begun making a push for junior college defensive tackle Elijah Davis (Wagener, S.C./East Mississippi CC). The 6-foot-4, 300-pounder has Tennessee and South Carolina as the competition for Texas and possibly Alabama. Davis made an official visit to South Carolina last weekend. This recruitment has a trio of defensive line coaches that have battled for years in the Southeast Region. Rodney Garner (Tennessee), Bo Davis (Texas) and Freddie Roach (Alabama). 

Kids a baller 

Yes he is, was unfortunate he got hurt the first game. He also seems like a really good kid too, first kid on the sideline to congratulate his HS teammates. Always says Hook ‘Em to my daughter when she wears UT gear to school. Need to get him away from the aggy commit in his ear every day.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Tell that to Derek Williams or going back even further, Major Applewhite. 

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take – Wayne Gretzky ...

I wasn't arguing on not trying. Yes there are a few kids everyone once in awhile that we successfully pull from LA. But as a whole, our batting % is down right shitty when trying to pull kids from Louisiana. We are not alone in that regard as everyone not named Nick Saban has the same problem. We may fair better when LSU sucks. But with their surprised resurgence in such a quick time, this kid was never coming here.

13 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

I wasn't arguing on not trying. Yes there are a few kids everyone once in awhile that we successfully pull from LA. But as a whole, our batting % is down right shitty when trying to pull kids from Louisiana. We are not alone in that regard as everyone not named Nick Saban has the same problem. We may fair better when LSU sucks. But with their surprised resurgence in such a quick time, this kid was never coming here.

Our biggest pocket of success is in northern LA around the I20 corridor, but the further we get from that it gets bad quickly. That said, we currently have the best two players in Louisiana committed, so take that for what it's worth. 

On 10/19/2022 at 7:05 AM, BurntOrange&White said:

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

Based on what? I know you’ve seen a lot of him. Just curious. He’s obviously enormous, which we know Flood loves. 

He is averaging at least a hold a game(and has had at least a game with 2 holds), has several 15 yarders on the season, including some drive-killers, he moves pretty well, but does not seem to be an effective blocker at this point. For a guy that large, he has struggled with at least one guy no taller than 6’. I think he CAN learn technique, but he has gotten plenty of attention because of his size that is unmerited because of his play. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Spoiler

Jason Suchomel • Orangebloods

Senior Editor

The Texas Longhorn coaching staff has been very selective with its 2024 quarterback recruiting, having extended only a couple of scholarship offers to out-of-state prospects prior to last week. That changed last Thursday when Steve Sarkisian extended his first in-state QB offer to Cy Fair’s Trey Owens.

The 6-5, 200-pound Owens has been a regular visitor to the Texas campus this year, and he said he was thrilled to pick up the offer from the in-state Longhorns.

“It’s a big one for me and my recruitment. I’ve been working to get that one for I’d say six months now,” Owens said. “I went back for early spring practices, just loved the place. I came back for camps, pool parties, just to get to see the campus, talk to the coaches, create that relationship. I’ve been wanting that one for a while.”

In addition to the practices and camp visits, Owens has also been at two Texas games this fall. He’s developed a solid relationship with Texas quarterbacks coach A.J. Milwee, who got the ball rolling on last week’s offer.

“I think coach Milwee arranged a phone call with my head coach, then they called me right before practice. Me and coach Milwee were talking just like we normally do. He said he was going to pass the phone to coach Sark,” Owens said. “After that, coach Sark said I’d like to offer you a scholarship to the University of Texas. I was all smiles. I was on the field and my teammates were all looking at me.”

The honor of being the first in-state quarterback offer is not lost on Owens.

“Obviously it’s kind of a cool thing. Texas is such a big state, with the amount of talent there, to think I’m the top guy in my class in the state is a big thing for me,” Owens said.

Texas joins a list that includes Texas Tech, SMU, Baylor, Houston and a handful of others that have issued scholarship offers. At this early stage of the process, Owens is keeping a fairly open mind although he does admit that he’s intrigued by the offers from Texas, Baylor and Texas Tech.

“I’m pretty open to anything right now. I’d say out of the offers right now, I’d say Texas is top three. Out of the ones I have, I kind of have a top three but I’m waiting for some other schools,” Owens said. “I’ll take my official visits next spring and summer.

As for what prompted the Texas staff to offer, Owens said he feels his style of play fits in perfectly with what UT likes to do on offense.

“They know I’m a pro-style. One of the things that sticks out to me, coach Sark said we recruit quarterbacks to throw, running backs to run. I’d say that fits me. I feel like I can sit there and deliver the ball,” Owens said.

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls