Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

It will be interesting to watch the NIL impact on the 2024 class. 2023 really got the ball rolling with big NIL money for recruits, so now they really realize they need to visit, both for NIL opportunities but also to put leverage on other schools. It should really increase engagement between Texas and top recruits and maybe will lead to some surprise commits that right now seem unlikely. 

34 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Uini has a great frame.  Not even close to filling out. Yes please.

24 minutes ago, texifornia said:

GH said yesterday that Williams reminds him of Keenan Robinson and while he's around 10 in the state right now if you are going by upside he's much higher.

• Hook 'Em 3

I'm interested in what they think of Henry. He's young for his class (I think) and obviously strong AF right now. He's a hard worker. His dad is 6'4 so you can squint and see that he's not through growing. 

I think I would bet on him and his genetics but I'm not sure they will.

20 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

GH said yesterday that Williams reminds him of Keenan Robinson and while he's around 10 in the state right now if you are going by upside he's much higher.

A lot of Oregon smoke around him back during the season when he made a visit to them.  Wiltfong put in a pick and several other sites did to.

19 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

I'm interested in what they think of Henry. He's young for his class (I think) and obviously strong AF right now. He's a hard worker. His dad is 6'4 so you can squint and see that he's not through growing. 

Yep. I really like the chances of Henry maximizing.

I said it earlier this spring and I’ll say it again. Jacob Henry absolutely has to be a Longhorn. Starter as a sophomore on varsity at Lake Travis. Placed in powerlifting at state meet. State tournament qualifier in wrestling. That kind of athleticism and strength don’t come around very often. And you don’t get to where he’s at without having a nasty streak too. I want I want I want

Just a reminder motherfuckers. Bring me sexual chocolate Jr.

1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

Mark Henry is 6'1 at best. I think his kid is a PWO candidate or maybe a senior eval if he grows

1 minute ago, Atticus said:

Mark Henry is 6'1 at best. I think his kid is a PWO candidate or maybe a senior eval if he grows

Seahawks DT Poona Ford calls this his 'resting media face'

Take Jacob Henry as a scholarship player. Jacob wouldn't be the worst scholarship player on the roster. Mark Henry's presence around the program is a positive.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Regardless of his father, isn't Jacob Henry like an accomplished power lifter? Poona was also short and strong as fuck. If he sucks at football then so be it, but you can't teach strength and being a gym rat.

A strong AF power lifter who wrestles and whose dad promotes the school. I’d find a scholarship and roll the dice. 

• Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Regardless of his father, isn't Jacob Henry like an accomplished power lifter? Poona was also short and strong as fuck. If he sucks at football then so be it, but you can't teach strength and being a gym rat.

9 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

A strong AF power lifter who wrestles and whose dad promotes the school. I’d find a scholarship and roll the dice. 

Has been posted on Surly before, but merits reposting. Imagine what Bo Davis can do with such a physical specimen?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BigHornedLurker said:

I don't know how you don't take a flyer on Mark Henry's son 

He could have great size and be strong but is a great football player. Size does seem to have good size but hows his hand technique, pad level, etc? its more than just a legacy. I think we take 3 true DTs in 24 class and there are many good options today on campus. Is he even top 6 on campus today?

3 minutes ago, TheContractor said:

He could have great size and be strong but is a great football player. Size does seem to have good size but hows his hand technique, pad level, etc? its more than just a legacy. I think we take 3 true DTs in 24 class and there are many good options today on campus. Is he even top 6 on campus today?

I haven’t seen much of him and it’s not a hill I know enough to die on, but if he’s also a reasonably accomplished wrestler he probably has good body control and an understanding of leverage. Technique, I would think, is the purpose of coaching. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Henry has 1 offer, to Bethune Cookman, who just parted ways with he man who approved that offer in Ed Reed. 
Unless the young man sprouts 3 inches, gains another 25 lbs, and has a stellar Sr season, I’ll be surprised if he’s anything more than a PWO. I’m rooting for him because I know how much he and his family love the Horns, but it is what it is.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BornAndRaised said:

Poona also had tape of him running the football in HS. According Max preps he had 4 TFLs last season. If he sucks at football it is a wasted scholarship and opportunity. Not sure I understand people getting caught up based on his Dad’s lifting and wrestling career. 

5 hours ago, Post Oak said:

3 hours ago, Atticus said:

10D23D69-92BB-4F8C-AEE5-F32D28DD48A9.thumb.jpeg.b1447f341f563a7945cb35a18be96f40.jpeg

Son is listed at 6’0”.

I’m guessing that Mark Henry is in the 5’11” range. Maybe he was 6’0” at one point. 

The thing about Poona is that he has the wingspan of a pterodactyl:

Ford measured in at 5-foot-11 5/8 and 306 pounds, with an 80 1/4 inch wingspan—which is the same as a 6-foot-8 man.”

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-DT-Poona-Fords-wingspan-measurement-turns-heads-at-Reeses-Senior-Bowl-114100524/

THOUGHT: If you are an amazing power lifter, most probably your wingspan is shorter than your height.

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

Poona also had tape of him running the football in HS. According Max preps he had 4 TFLs last season. If he sucks at football it is a wasted scholarship and opportunity. Not sure I understand people getting caught up based on his Dad’s lifting and wrestling career. 

I was ignoring his dad's career entirely. Jacob Henry is the established power lifter here that I was mentioning. That's why I said, "if he sucks at football then so be it," meaning if the only knock is his height it's worth a ship imo, but if he's outright bad then  obviously not. Being at lake Travis certainly helps though imo.

53 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

10D23D69-92BB-4F8C-AEE5-F32D28DD48A9.thumb.jpeg.b1447f341f563a7945cb35a18be96f40.jpeg

Son is listed at 6’0”.

I’m guessing that Mark Henry is in the 5’11” range. Maybe he was 6’0” at one point. 

The thing about Poona is that he has the wingspan of a pterodactyl:

Ford measured in at 5-foot-11 5/8 and 306 pounds, with an 80 1/4 inch wingspan—which is the same as a 6-foot-8 man.”

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-DT-Poona-Fords-wingspan-measurement-turns-heads-at-Reeses-Senior-Bowl-114100524/

THOUGHT: If you are an amazing power lifter, most probably your wingspan is shorter than your height.

Mark Henry is on a knee walker right now. He’s not standing up straight. 

• Like 1

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls