Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

247 on five-star WR Micah Hudson's visit. Not a bad start in this recruitment.

Spoiler

AUSTIN, Texas — The Longhorns received a pleasant surprise Saturday morning when Micah Hudson showed up on campus at Texas.

While the UT staff had been preparing to host a huge Junior Day event, Hudson was originally planning to work with his wide receiver trainer in Waco. He decided to change his schedule on Friday night and come in early to see the coaching staff. After the trip, Hudson told 247Sports' Jordan Scruggs in an exclusive interview that he had a good time on the trip.

"It went pretty good," Hudson said. "I got here pretty early. I took pictures first in the all-white uniforms. I had a pretty good photoshoot and stuff and that's what I want to do when I go to college. I want to do creative stuff. Make videos, photos, edits and things like that. I got to talk to the people who do that. I talked to coach Sark. He was just telling me how he likes me and how I have a good mentality and things like that. It was just a little catch-up. We didn't talk about too much. Everybody was treating me really good, but I was here for a short period of time so we couldn't go into everything."

Hudson is interested in pursuing a future in creative media once he gets to college. The Texas staff talked to him about those possibilities, and Hudson knows that he will have plenty of opportunities in a place like Austin.

"This is Austin, it has everything that you pretty much need I would say," he said. "They were saying when I got here I could get tutoring from the people taking pictures and stuff like that. That's always good to get extra help."

The Longhorns don't currently have a wide receiver coach. Steve Sarkisian and Brandon Harris have kept the recruitment up during this time of transition, but Hudson is intrigued to see who they hire and get to know them.

"I feel like that is kind of crucial because that's who you're going to be with the majority of the time in the position rooms every morning," Hudson said. "Having a good relationship with the receiver coach, he's not the offensive coordinator but he's going to pick who plays. The head coach is too, but he's going to put in a good word. I think having a good relationship with the receiver coach is going to be a big thing. As soon as they get one I need to be in contact with him."

When Hudson arrived, he immediately met with some big names on the Texas roster. Quarterbacks Quinn Ewers and Arch Manning both spoke with him along with Texas receiver Xavier Worthy.

"I got to see Arch Manning," Hudson said. "I saw Quinn Ewers and Xavier (Worthy). I talked to all three of them. Quinn just told me if I need anything to hit him up. Arch was pretty much saying the same thing telling me that if I liked it there they need me and stuff like that."

It's still early for Hudson, but the Longhorns are standing out in his recruitment.

"They are one of my top schools," Hudson said. "It's in state. That's not going to be a factor for me, but still it's close. Everything I'd need is not too far up the road from me."

A few other schools have been able to make an early impression with the elite wideout. Several new schools are entering the picture after increasing their contact.

"Texas Tech, Ohio State," he said. "That's the top right now. A&M has been hitting me up. Miami has been hitting me up. Colorado has been hitting me up. Oregon has been hitting me up and they just came down to see me. Oklahoma has been hitting me up. That's really it."

Hudson is looking at making trips to Texas A&M and TCU in the next few weeks to see what a few of the other local programs have to offer.

"I might go to A&M because they keep wanting me to go down there," Hudson said. "A&M or TCU, but I might try to go to both."

He'd also like to get out of state and see a few major national programs.

"I've been talking about going to Oregon and I want to get out to Colorado and see what they're talking about," he said. "Alabama too, I want to get down there. Maybe Clemson too. We haven't been talking that much but I'm always down to try new things with visits and stuff."

Hudson is planning to return to Texas in the spring to see the Longhorns practice or play in the spring game. He's undecided on official visits, but he wants to figure that out during the spring and summer.

"An official visit is kind of like a free vacation," he said. "I'm not going to take one to a school I don't like. I haven't really thought of it too much. I'll probably just keep thinking about it and figure out what I want to do."

Hudson is planning on a long recruitment with a top schools cut coming late summer before his senior season.

"I feel like I'll drop my top schools before the season," he said. "I'm thinking about committing in early December or late November because I want to enroll early."

Out of the trips Hudson made as a recruit, he classified this one as the best because of the more personal nature.

"This is probably the top one," Hudson said. "Probably because I got to talk to everybody one-on-one and it wasn't like a gameday where they had to worry about calling plays or anything."

At 6-feet, 186 pounds, Hudson is ranked as the No. 2 wide receiver in the nation and No. 2 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports.

• Hook 'Em 6

247 on Junior Day:

Spoiler

Cy-Fair quarterback Trey Owens spent most of the day chatting with other prospects about joining him at Texas with emphasis on four-star Katy Jordan 2025 wide receiver Andrew Marsh and four-star Copperas Cove 2024 offensive lineman Michael Uini. The best quote of the day from Owens was that Texas felt like home and the vibes at Matt’s El Rancho on Friday night were immaculate.

Jerrick Gibson didn’t speak with the media after junior day, but after talking with sources inside the building it’s safe to say that the nation’s No. 1 running back enjoyed his visit to Austin. Gibson and Tashard Choice are extremely close and I don’t blame any fan that is starting to feel deja vu from the Cedric Baxter recruitment.

Longview running back Taylor Tatum might be the prospect that Texas made the biggest move with today. It was clear that his individual conversations with Tashard Choice, Bijan RobinsonSteve Sarkisian and Texas baseball coach David Pierce made him feel like a major priority for the Horns.

James Peoples is dropping a top 8 next month and he confirmed that Texas would make the cut. The SA Vets Memorial running back said that relationships would be the determining factor in his recruitment and he could see himself and Choice working well together.

— It was clear after speaking to Fort Bend Christian offensive tackle Bennett Warren that Texas is a serious player and could be the outright leader early in his recruitment after receiving an offer today. Sark personally extended an offer plus Connor Stroh walked him through the similarities between the two as prospects, which made a significant impact.

DeAndre Carter is an extremely soft-spoken kid but his tape and massive frame are anything but soft. Texas is going to recruit the Mater Dei standout through the whistle and early returns from the visit with his entire family were promising. This will be a slugfest recruitment with national powers from coast to coast all in the mix. Carter will visit Penn State next weekend

Daniel Cruz, OL, Richland

The priority offensive line target loved his individual meeting today with Kyle Flood. He added how he can see himself fitting in on the interior at Texas, and that the longhorns will definitely be in the mix for when he drops a top schools list.

Blake Frazier

A local product from Austin Vandegrift, Frazier received an offer from Texas today. The lifelong Austinite is intrigued by the ability to stay home and play in front of the community he grew up, as well as the development portfolio Texas offensive line coach Kyle Flood has shown in his years in Austin and Tuscaloosa. The Michigan legacy remains high on the Wolverines and even with an offer from Texas, UM seems like the early favorite.

— San Marcos offensive lineman Ory Williams is a frequent visitor to the Forty Acres and seemed to enjoy this visit as well. One thing that especially stood out to him was watching film with Kyle Flood, identifying a weakness against power rush moves, and learning techniques to counteract them.

Michael Uini, OL, Copperas Cove

The big-bodied four-star Copperas Cove offensive tackle was adamant about how much he loved his time on the Forty Acres today, as well as his overall love for the coaches and what they’re doing at Texas.

— Kingjoseph Edwards was one of the brightest stars on campus today and the 6-foot-5, 240-pounder mentioned Texas in the same category as Georgia, Alabama, USC, and Ohio State. Edwards doesn’t seem to be in a rush to make a decision and the Horns will be firmly in the mix until the end.

— Markus Boswell from Lake Travis is an intriguing name to stash away at linebacker. The son of former Texas national champion & Olympic high jumper Mark Boswell spoke at length with Jeff Choate and while the local product didn’t walk away with an offer it’s clear that Texas is interested in him.

— Lafayette Christian Academy defensive lineman Melvin Hills was thrilled to receive an offer from Texas and views the Longhorns as a program on the rise. He also highlighted how much he liked the staff and the city of Austin.

— Pascagoula (Miss.) 2024 defensive lineman Jeffery Rush spent a ton of time with Sarkisian and Steve Sarkisian during Junior Day. The Mississippi native said the Longhorns are under strong consideration.

— Brock Jackson was bigger than I anticipated and the Lumberton EDGE said he got a good amount of 1-on-1 time with defensive coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski. Even though Jackson didn’t receive an offer today he really enjoyed the visit and felt like Texas was strongly considering him for the JACK edge rusher position.

Payton Pierce has an interesting connection to Texas star linebacker Jaylan Ford. Pierce’s older brother coached Ford at Frisco Lone Star, so seeing his development from high school to college really underscored Jeff Choate’s ability to develop backers. Texas and Oklahoma are two schools that stand out for the Lovejoy product, along with the recent offer from Ohio State.

— Atascocita 2024 cornerback Braylon Conley said the family feeling was strong today at Texas. He also mentioned how much he liked getting to know Terry Joseph, Blake Gideon, and Steve Sarkisian better.

Kobe Black was the highest-ranked player on campus per 247Sports and the Texas staff made sure he was treated like the major priority he's going to be for the Longhorns. Black will enroll early and said that development and early playing time would be two major factors in his recruitment. When asked about teammate Jelani McDonald, Black said he made a “great decision” and him and Tre Wisner being at Texas would definitely play a factor. Black will be at Texas A&M next weekend and TCU the next

— Corian Gipson remains one of the top priority targets for Terry Joseph and Blake Gideon in the 2024 cycle. Even with Chris Gilbert moving on to North Texas the Longhorns remain in a strong spot to receive an official visit.

— Jordon Davison, RB, Mater Dei (Calif.)

The dynamic 2025 running back didn’t speak to media but a source told Mike Roach that Davison’s eyes were opened during an individual session breaking down film with running backs coach Tashard Choice and Doak Walker winner Bijan Robinson. Robinson told Davison exactly how the practice operates and gave him a ton of off-the-field and on-the-field advice.

— Cy-Fair 2025 DL Landon Rink enjoyed the visit to Austin and it’s safe to say that the Longhorn legacy is extremely high on Texas and they might be his silent leader. Rink having close friend and teammate Trey Owens in the boat can’t hurt matters.

The last time Galena Park North ashore CB Devin Sanchez was at an offseason Texas recruiting event he earned an offer and put on a show locking up some of the best wide receivers in the nation that were two years older than him. On this visit Sanchez was blown away by the familial atmosphere on campus and the coaches ability to “keep it real” with recruits.

IMG Academy CB Noah Francis said that this was his favorite visit he’s taken so far in his recruiting process and that Texas views him as a strong potential offer candidate and expects to be back in the near future.

Jordan Scruggs, Mike Roach, and Tommy Yarrish all contributed to this article

• Hook 'Em 4

New RPM (CB) from Gerry (IT)

Gerry's blurb:

I have entered an On3 Recruiting Prediction Machine pick at 70% for the Texas Longhorns to eventually land a commitment from San Marcos 2024 OT Ory Williams. The 6-foot-6.5, 310-pounder has impressed Texas on the football and field and basketball court. Texas offensive line coach Kyle Flood watched Williams hoops in December. Sarkisian and Flood were by San Marcos High last week prior to junior to Junior Day.

image.thumb.png.31a81c741304dce867ae8adb66966c2a.png

https://www.on3.com/db/ory-williams-94621/

• Hook 'Em 5

41 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

New RPM (CB) from Gerry (IT)

Gerry's blurb:

image.thumb.png.31a81c741304dce867ae8adb66966c2a.png

https://www.on3.com/db/ory-williams-94621/

Williams, Cruz, Uini, and Warren seem the most likely in-state guys we would land at this point.  Would love to have a shot at the Mater Dei guy that visited last week.  Kid from Mitchell's HS might have a good shot as well.

5 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

The University of Alabama will host four-star safety Corian Gipson and four-star cornerback Jaden Allen on Jan. 28, per numerous reports. The two defensive backs are both from Texas and Allen is already committed to the Longhorns.

??

What are the question marks for?

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls