Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Not a single person anywhere on this board has seriously stated "At Bama should be a game we win." and 2147 is being disingenuous throwing that notion out there.

At Bama should be a game we win. If they trot out Jalen Monroe who almost bumblefucked his way to a loss to 5-7 aggy it might even be a two score win. 
I’ve gotten a head start on their future by trademarking the term Alabraska. We are going to fucking ruin the gumps. Bama won a game being contested by 5 different schools in the rural south. We are going to ruin them with NIL being a thing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, BornAndRaised said:

Milroe, Not to be pedantic, however he was committed here at one point, even if he doesn't look like a great QB. Or we could go the SydneyCarton way and go with "apple is weird."

Apple is weird. I have no idea why they don’t like Milroe. First it autocorrected that way. This time it auto corrected to Milton before I saw it and fixed it. Fuckers. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

There are people who blindly pick ATM to suck each year no matter what. Eventually, they were going to be correct. Broken clocks and all. I guess the same will be true of Bama/Saban at some point. I'm just not quite there yet in consideration that they were two plays from going undefeated. Conversely, they were probably two more plays from losing four games but that's kinda how it goes with college football. A missed FG here. A walk off two point conversion in OT there, and you're suddenly a crumbling dynasty.

I definitely get the Bowden analogy but Saban is a much better football man than Bowden ever was. Bowden's biggest mistake was his mismanagement of his coaching staff. That 2001 season that you reference just happened to coincide with his OC Mark Richt leaving for Georgia and Bobby Bowden replacing him with **checks notes** his dipshit son, Jeff. Mickey Andrews was in place for too long and had become obsolete. Chuck Amato, who by all accounts was actually running their defense and not Andrews, also left around the same time and they never recovered on either side of the ball. I just don't see Saban making those same mistakes. See his processing of BoB and Golding as Exhibit 1. 

With regard to their recruiting... you may very well be correct. We're just going to have to wait and see. They don't look as stout at virtually every position group on offense as they were a couple of years ago. I know less about the defense. It's going to be interesting to see who Saban hires.

Ohhhh, dear, sweet Mitchard. So pessimistic. I’ll argue that the constant turnover for Saban has actually hit a tipping point. He went with Golding because he got turned down by some other folks and was convinced he was a genius. They’re currently trying to get Pruitt through compliance, so it will be interesting to see if he doesn’t miss a beat from his prior time there. 

It’s a pretty interesting and non-depressing game to play right now for folks interested in such things - look at Bama’s two sides of the ball and count how many guys would take straight up to replace the same positional starter at Texas. 

QB? No. 

TB? Okay, probably. 

WR1? No. 

WR2? No. 

WR3? No. 

TE? Ha. No. 

LT? Even if Latham moves over to LT, no. 

LG? Probably. 

C? Probably. 

RG? No. 

RT? Maybe if Latham stays there. Maybe. 

I guess on defense I would take Turner even though I hate that fucking guy. McKinstrey as well, sure. It’s interesting after those two and most don’t favor Bama. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Ohhhh, dear, sweet Mitchard. So pessimistic. I’ll argue that the constant turnover for Saban has actually hit a tipping point. He went with Golding because he got turned down by some other folks and was convinced he was a genius. They’re currently trying to get Pruitt through compliance, so it will be interesting to see if he doesn’t miss a beat from his prior time there. 

It’s a pretty interesting and non-depressing game to play right now for folks interested in such things - look at Bama’s two sides of the ball and count how many guys would take straight up to replace the same positional starter at Texas. 

QB? No. 

TB? Okay, probably. 

WR1? No. 

WR2? No. 

WR3? No. 

TE? Ha. No. 

LT? Even if Latham moves over to LT, no. 

LG? Probably. 

C? Probably. 

RG? No. 

RT? Maybe if Latham stays there. Maybe. 

I guess on defense I would take Turner even though I hate that fucking guy. McKinstrey as well, sure. It’s interesting after those two and most don’t favor Bama. 

Lets Go Sport GIF by ALL ELITE WRESTLING

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, derpyhorndog said:

Slow work day, so update for the two people waiting with bated breath. The choppa left Longview and seems to have made a stop in the Jasper area. The site I use to track lost coverage for a stretch, so fairly certain about that but had to read tea leaves a bit. Maybe visiting Tyanthony Smith?

It's now up again and on trajectory for Houston, which is where it left from this morning and where we know Sark was early in the week (visiting some Humble HS). 

Anyways, curious for shits and gigs to see if there are any other Twitter sightings of Sark/Gideon in Longview or Jasper today. 

Yep. He was in Jasper on a top secret recruiting mission.

University of Texas Head Football Coach Steve Sarkisian was in Jasper on Thursday afternoon. Sarkisian and a member of his staff traveled by helicopter and landed at the school where they met with Jasper Athletic Director & Head Football Coach Kendrick Crumedy and his staff.

However, mum was the word as Sarkisian and others were tight lipped about the exact nature of his visit, other than saying “I’m just here to do a little recruiting”.

https://www.kjas.com/news/local_news/article_5125cb46-9dc2-11ed-a328-939930ce0831.html

• Hook 'Em 2

16 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

There are people who blindly pick ATM to suck each year no matter what. Eventually, they were going to be correct. Broken clocks and all. I guess the same will be true of Bama/Saban at some point. I'm just not quite there yet in consideration that they were two plays from going undefeated. Conversely, they were probably two more plays from losing four games but that's kinda how it goes with college football. A missed FG here. A walk off two point conversion in OT there, and you're suddenly a crumbling dynasty.

I definitely get the Bowden analogy but Saban is a much better football man than Bowden ever was. Bowden's biggest mistake was his mismanagement of his coaching staff. That 2001 season that you reference just happened to coincide with his OC Mark Richt leaving for Georgia and Bobby Bowden replacing him with **checks notes** his dipshit son, Jeff. Mickey Andrews was in place for too long and had become obsolete. Chuck Amato, who by all accounts was actually running their defense and not Andrews, also left around the same time and they never recovered on either side of the ball. I just don't see Saban making those same mistakes. See his processing of BoB and Golding as Exhibit 1. 

With regard to their recruiting... you may very well be correct. We're just going to have to wait and see. They don't look as stout at virtually every position group on offense as they were a couple of years ago. I know less about the defense. It's going to be interesting to see who Saban hires.

BoB wasn't processed, he took a better job. He was a shit coordinator, but Saban hired him. Saban has had way too much turnover in his final years to say that he isn't making mistakes in his hires. He is also failing to develop the talent he is bringing in. 

17 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

BoB wasn't processed, he took a better job. He was a shit coordinator, but Saban hired him. Saban has had way too much turnover in his final years to say that he isn't making mistakes in his hires. He is also failing to develop the talent he is bringing in. 

...his contract expired and he wasn't offered a new one. idk what you personally call that but it isn't good for the person not getting offered a contract.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, NoName said:

...his contract expired and he wasn't offered a new one. idk what you personally call that but it isn't good for the person not getting offered a contract.

Is moving from coaching under Saban at Alabama to coaching the Patriots under Belicheck considered a step-down or a lateral move? 

4 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Is moving from coaching under Saban at Alabama to coaching the Patriots under Belicheck considered a step-down or a lateral move? 

The job you take rarely determines whether you're upwardly mobile. It's the jobs that you don't take that were options, and the leverage used to secure your choice that does. 

Being provided no opportunity to stay at Alabama, O'Brien called his daddy for a job. Then, he took that job. 

Step down. 

8 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

The more successful coordinators at Bama went on to head jobs. And as we all know, it's always better to get a head job.

I don't think this move was exactly what BoB had in mind when he took that job. He probably thought he would kill it there for a year and then one of the big boys would call. Not that his contract would expire and Belichek would give him a soft landing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I will never understand why Saban didn't can Bullet Chin after one season. It was pretty evident that the Bama offense was regressing even with the likes of Bryce Young. 

Correct me if I am wrong, but in year one of BoB Alabama played for the championship, and likely would have won if not for injuries to their best two WRs. Their offense fell off, because their WRs were shitty and they just canned their WR coach. BoB sucks, but both things can also be true at the same time.

I know Saban is a god around here, but I wouldn't want to be on his staff right now, because the game is slowly passing him by, as the coaching turnover and recruiting bust rate increase.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

the Patriots who hired a guy who has been a coach for 25 years, has never EVER called plays at any point in his career, who did have 5 years of experience as an offensive assistant, and whose last offensive assistant coaching was 15+ years ago...as their offensive coordinator and play caller, with a 2nd year QB. they ended up as a bottom 10 DVOA offensive team in the NFL, behind the raiders (who benched and will be trading or cutting their QB), just ahead of the bears and the jets and carolina and the broncos.

BoB is one of Belicheck's guys. here is what he said in 2017 about him:

“Billy is a great coach He’s one of the best coaches in this league, one of the best coaches in football,” Patriots head coach Bill Belichick said. “We saw that at Penn State, too. He’s got a great football mind, does a great job of motivating the players. He’s one of the top coaches I’ve been around, period.”

...at that point, BoB was 31-33 as an NFL coach and in the midst of a 4-12 season.

coaches fail upwards all the time. Kingsbury went 44 days between being fired from TTU with a losing record to being hired by the NFL Cardinals as their head coach.

at the end of the day, despite having the #2 and #7 offensive FEI teams in the country Alabama never entered negotiations with him for an extension. he did not have a job for next year. he interviewed at one place - he didn't get an interview for any of the open HC jobs - and that one place was the Patriots. he took that job.

you can say he wasn't processed but he was done at Alabama.

• Hook 'Em 5

7 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Right, he only took a job in the NFL. Yes, by all means he was "fired." Lulz.

i never said he was fired

Alabama was going to let his contract expire. they didn't extend him. they didn't have discussions about extending him. no leaked stuff came out about them offering to extend him. no leaked articles or texts about their final offer. nothing about trying to keep him in any of the articles about him leaving for NE. nothing but radio silence from the Alabama end. and that's all you need to know about how they felt.

know who was listed as the primary recruiter for their 2025 QB? Wiggins. know who was listed as the primary for 2024 QB Holstein? Golding. know who the primary for their other 2024 QB Lonergan was? Charles Kelly.

5 minutes ago, NoName said:

know who was listed as the primary recruiter for their 2025 QB? Wiggins. know who was listed as the primary for 2024 QB Holstein? Golding. know who the primary for their other 2024 QB Lonergan was? Charles Kelly.

Know who is not at Alabama anymore? Wiggins, Golding, and Kelly

1 hour ago, NoName said:

you missed that the OC and QB coach wasn't the primary recruiter on any of those players.

also you didn't respond at all to the contract expiring.

Why does the contract expiring mean anything? Do you have any quotes from BoB saying he definitely wanted to return?

Maybe BoB didn't want to return, which is just as likely as Saban telling a guy that had really good offenses to hit the bricks. Alabama lost their Heisman winning QB, they have shit behind him, the lost their Top RB, they aren't that deep behind him, they lost their top TE, not sure many more played last year, their WRs were slightly above average, but they are a long way off from having another room consisting of Jeudy, Waddle, Smith, and Ruggs. Given what Alabama is likely to return on offense, BoB likely concluded that staying would hamper his ability to get another HC job. BoB signed a 2-year deal, and honored it, there were rumors he was going to leave for NE last year, and now without a contractual commitment to Alabama, he's at NE. It's much more likely BoB was always leaving after 2 years than signing a contract extension at Alabama.

10 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Why does the contract expiring mean anything? Do you have any quotes from BoB saying he definitely wanted to return?

Maybe BoB didn't want to return, which is just as likely as Saban telling a guy that had really good offenses to hit the bricks. Alabama lost their Heisman winning QB, they have shit behind him, the lost their Top RB, they aren't that deep behind him, they lost their top TE, not sure many more played last year, their WRs were slightly above average, but they are a long way off from having another room consisting of Jeudy, Waddle, Smith, and Ruggs. Given what Alabama is likely to return on offense, BoB likely concluded that staying would hamper his ability to get another HC job. BoB signed a 2-year deal, and honored it, there were rumors he was going to leave for NE last year, and now without a contractual commitment to Alabama, he's at NE. It's much more likely BoB was always leaving after 2 years than signing a contract extension at Alabama.

yeah, we're not going to agree on this.

typically when you have a coach you like and want to keep...you don't wait for them to play out their contract then extend them after the fact.

and of course they are a ways off probably the best college WR room in the last 25 years. literally every team is.

I bet you also think that Pete Golding didn't want to return to Alabama. He wanted to go to Ole Miss after his contract ran out and he wasn't extended. He absolutely wanted to take a pay cut, go to a tougher job and leave Alabama! ...right?

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Kwix said:

<doing the math in my head> could that be John Chiles son?

don't think so - that guy is in Maryland and Chiles isn't that active on twitter but doesn't look lik ehe follows that guy and hasn't liked anything haha

Edited by NoName

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls