Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

2 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Pretty sure at least half of Surly has autism.

Conditional Statement: If Elon is procreating at a very high level in order to increase future population levels, then the big UT donor, who will donate his entire fortune, must have created a disproportionate percentage of Surly autism.

18 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Black, Williams, Umeozulu, Hudson, and Simmons are the 5 in-state must-gets from this class.  If Texas gets 3 of those 5 it is likely a good year.

I do not see Umeozulu as that level of player right now. Maybe that changes his senior year but I wouldn't put him in the "must-get" category. 

I'd probably replace him with Cruz.

• Hook 'Em 7

From IT

Prospects IT is currently expecting to visit in March:

Daniel Calhoun, OT, Roswell (Ga.) Centennial

Brandon Baker, OT, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei

Darien Mayo, EDGE, Olney (Md.) Good Counsel

Terrance Hibbler, DL, Lexington (Ms.) Holmes County

Colin Clubberly, OT, Lagrangeville (N.Y.) Arlington 

Malik Blocton, DL, Pike Road (Al.) High

Jeremiah Beaman, DL, Birmingham (Al.) Parker

Colin Simmons, EDGE, Duncanville (Texas)

Prospects IT has been told and expects to make June official visits:

Jerrick Gibson, RB, Gainesville (Fla.) IMG Academy

Taylor Tatum, RB, Longview (Texas) High

Micah Hudson, WR, Temple (Texas) Lake Belton

GeKyle Baker, WR, Brownsboro (Texas) High

Daniel Cruz, IOL, North Richland Hills (Texas) Richland

Ory Williams, OT, San Marcos (Texas) High

Nyier Daniels, OT, Oradell (N.J.) Bergen Catholic

DeAndre Carter, IOL, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei

Michael Uini, OT, Copperas Cove (Texas) High

Alex January, DL, Duncanville (Texas) High

Isaia Faga, DL, Phenix City (Al.) Central

Dominick McKinley, DL, Lafayette (La.) Acadiana

D’antre Robinson, DL, Orlando (Fla.) Jones

Joseph Jonah-Ajonye, DL, Conroe (Texas) Oak Ridge

KingJoseph Edwards, EDGE, Hoschton (Ga.) Mill Creek

Justin Williams, LB, Conroe (Texas) Oak Ridge)

Corian Gipson, DB, Lancaster (Texas) High

Kobe Black, CB, Waco (Texas) Connally 

Braylon Conley, CB/DB, Humble (Texas) Atascocita

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I do not see Umeozulu as that level of player right now. Maybe that changes his senior year but I wouldn't put him in the "must-get" category. 

I'd probably replace him with Cruz.

This. Umeozulu's coasting on an early high ranking right now, while Cruz has been Flood's #1 target from the jump.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Another guy that Gerry has mentioned the staff isn't in love with. Was ranked high early but didn't dominate like a top 50 player this past year.

Also lol at a top 16. Was Rutgers or Prairie View A&M the 16th school?

Edited by Hookem2147

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Another guy that Gerry has mentioned the staff isn't in love with. Was ranked high early but didn't dominate like a top 50 player this past year.

Also lol at a top 16. Was Rutgers or Prairie View A&M the 16th school?

We need to hit on two really good DT's this cycle and where they come from who knows?  Louisiana, Mississippi, or Florida maybe?  January is probably the 3rd DT in the class.

18 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

We need to hit on two really good DT's this cycle and where they come from who knows?  Louisiana, Mississippi, or Florida maybe?  January is probably the 3rd DT in the class.

Interior defensive line needs to be priority 1, 2 and 3. Hitting the SEC in 2024 with what we have in the pipeline behind Sweat, Collins and Broughton is no bueno unless multiple guys dramatically out perform their ranking. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Black, Williams, Umeozulu, Hudson, and Simmons are the 5 in-state must-gets from this class.  If Texas gets 3 of those 5 it is likely a good year.

Simmons, Black, and Cruz for me. I might add Alex January, since he seems to be the only interior DL from Texas that Bo is after. Not all 5 stars, but guys you have to sign. Finding replacements will be very hard. Hudson would be a great get, but I am not going to put any WR in the must get category. You can find WRs.

Edited by Codaxx

1 hour ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Interior defensive line needs to be priority 1, 2 and 3. Hitting the SEC in 2024 with what we have in the pipeline behind Sweat, Collins and Broughton is no bueno unless multiple guys dramatically out perform their ranking. 

I think yall are right with this. Continue to get pure pass rushers from the edge and fill out the linebacker group some more. Need that front 7 big and fast with depth to keep up with the SEC week in week out.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

For me, it's Black, Williams, Simmons, Corian Gipson, and Cruz. Those are 5 difference makers that everybody wants. Good luck getting 3 of the 5. Texas leads with one of them right now. 

On Hudson - WR is one of the deep spots in the state and he's not head and shoulders better than the next 5 or so guys. Someone who knows their stuff on this kind of thing better than damned near anyone else, after watching him recently in-person, wants to see how he tests at camps. His view is that he bets the player gets advice not to actually test at camps. Make of that what you will. 

On Umeozulu - This recruitment is almost as much out of obligation as it is any kind of enthusiasm. Think the "wait" gif from Willie Wonka movie if this guy winds up committing somewhere else. 

On Black and Williams, Texas has a shot, but they're not lifelong fans who can't wait to get to campus. Black wants someone to tell him he's going to be a starter when he gets on campus. Texas isn't going to do that and he's not good enough to get that guarantee from most schools, but Oregon, Baylor or Oklahoma State might put that out there. Williams isn't from Texas. He's basically a silent to Oregon, but there are issues with conference alignment and distance for those around him. Tosh Lupoi is all over him and the HS staff or a handler around Oak Ridge has some sort of affinity for Oregon. 

Simmons is pure NIL and this could be one where someone concentrates a shit ton of their allocation to land him. LSU, ATM, and Bama do not have endless funds. I feel like this one will not come close to going UT's way, but there's still a ton of time for things to change.

Gipson is somone Bama legitimately would take, allegedly. I think Texas has a great shot here, but it's going to be a fight.

Cruz - They just have to keep putting in the work and lock him up in June.

In other words,

Spoiler

errbody

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Aggy DL room after another failed season?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I have high hopes for Zac Swanson to turn into a really disruptive DT, he seems to be on track with his physical development and he has a hell of a motor. But, we need Aaron Bryant to make some noise in the spring. 

Rivals 250 is out

https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals250/2024

Some notes:

Justin Williams is #22 nationally and TyAnthony Smith debuts at #155.  Good LB options in state.

Jaden Allen dropped about 80 spots.

The fall of Zina has begun as he dropped 100+ and Aeryn Hampton dropped a lot.  Nigel Smith plunged as well.  

The unranked DT we recently offered from Mississippi (Terrence Hibler) debuted in the top 50.

Trey Owens received some BOMC making the 250.

Rivals does not like Cruz or Ory Williams.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, texifornia said:

25 minutes ago, Bolero88 said:

This kid is seriously fast. Texas has an amazing group of RBs this year. 

This guy along with the RB mentioned earlier suggests to me that we're wanting stocky speedsters represented in the RB room. If you're line is good and disciplined, these guys can kill you.

I'm feeling good about where Texas is heading. Very good.

On 2/12/2023 at 10:55 AM, HenryJames said:

Pretty sure at least half of Surly has autism.

So you're suggesting that development disorders are pervasive on this forum? Maybe it's because previous coaching regimes couldn't develop shit. It's looking like the current staff is not suffering from the same disorder. There's hope, Surly.

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Rivals really doesn't like Daniel Cruz.  Not even in the top rankings for interior linemen.

https://rivals.rivals.com/position_rankings/football/2024/OG

https://rivals.rivals.com/position_rankings/football/2024/C

Someone tell Ohio State and Alabama that so we can scoop him up.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 4

Confirmed March 25 visitors from IT

Brandon Baker, OT, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei

Omar White, DL, Valdosta (Ga.) High – Colorado verbal

Eric Brantley Jr., EDGE/DE, Valdosta (Ga.) High – Colorado verbal

Christian Clark, RB/ATH, Phoenix (Ariz.) Mountain Pointe

Kedren Young, RB, Lufkin (Texas) High

Dozie Ezukanma, WR, Fort Worth (Texas) All Saints

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls