Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

32 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

It's going to be interesting to see how RB plays out with this class.  Tatum, Young, Peoples, and the Duncanville kid all seem like takes to me.  Plus we seem to be in a good spot with Gibson.

Not up to speed on 2024, but who is the inside runner of that group? 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

It's going to be interesting to see how RB plays out with this class.  Tatum, Young, Peoples, and the Duncanville kid all seem like takes to me.  Plus we seem to be in a good spot with Gibson.

Right now outside of Gibson I think I'd have Peoples followed by Tatum.

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Taking an OV in the summer via Wiltfong

https://247sports.com/player/daniel-calhoun-46103210/

48 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

We are going to have to close on some of these GA kids for this class to be in the top 6.

I think I saw a list like the below for another southern recruit we're after:

image.png.f81c0c2c47f462828082eef2862d7f6b.png

It does give one the feeling that we're pretty quickly being considered by elite guys all over the south. I suppose this is how it feels when a school outside of Texas was in our conference and had some pull in this state. Nebraska and, of course, OU come to mind. We don't have to fight just to get a chance at these guys; we're a default candidate.

It will be nice to be the beneficiaries of this arrangement for a change. The Aggies already opened up Texas to the SEC, so that part of the transaction is already having its impact. This is all upside.

I like it. I'm sure A&M and Georgia are thrilled about it, too.

Hook 'Em!

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I think I saw a list like the below for another southern recruit we're after:

image.png.f81c0c2c47f462828082eef2862d7f6b.png

It does give one the feeling that we're pretty quickly being considered by elite guys all over the south. I suppose this is how it feels when a school outside of Texas was in our conference and had some pull in this state. Nebraska and, of course, OU come to mind. We don't have to fight just to get a chance at these guys; we're a default candidate.

It will be nice to be the beneficiaries of this arrangement for a change. The Aggies already opened up Texas to the SEC, so that part of the transaction is already having its impact. This is all upside.

I like it. I'm sure A&M and Georgia are thrilled about it, too.

Hook 'Em!

I think Texas has wasted their brand in recruiting for decades. I am all for recruiting Texas and owning the state, but I think Texas has over-played that hand for a long time. I think Sark is just being logical and looking outside the state, when it is necessary. It something Mack should have done 25 years ago, when Texas was rolling. The SEC move has made this easier, but the decade long mediocre play probably evens that out. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I think Texas has wasted their brand in recruiting for decades. I am all for recruiting Texas and owning the state, but I think Texas has over-played that hand for a long time. I think Sark is just being logical and looking outside the state, when it is necessary. It something Mack should have done 25 years ago, when Texas was rolling. The SEC move has made this easier, but the decade long mediocre play probably evens that out. 

The fact that our 2006 recruiting class wasn't #1 because it was already filled is insane.

• Rage+1 1

28 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The fact that our 2006 recruiting class wasn't #1 because it was already filled is insane.

i wrote this whole thing not understanding, what are you talking about but now i see you are talking about the class being filled with bread and you weren't kidding. bad news for you though, the 06 USC class probably wouldn't have been topped. 5 5*s and one of the highest rated classes ever in the 247 database. that said...

the 6 lowest rated guys in the class all committed within 60 days of days of the prior years's NSD. 9 of the bottom 10 all committed before June was over.

what i wrote before:

Spoiler

i pulled these from 247 because they have actual rankings there while Rivals only has stars. The Rivals state of Texas has very different rankings than 247 composite ones. either way the underlying info is fine for this exercise.

Texas took a slightly smaller class than those other guys but the USC class had 5 5*. Florida had 3 5*s. Texas had 2. The 06 class was pretty top heavy - no players ranked between 37 and 102. lots of guys in the top 200 but 5 of them were in the 150-200 range.

the 06 USC team was i think #10 all time in 247's rankings. i think that one and the 2010 Florida class are the only ones in the top 10 that weren't from the last decade. that USC 06 class on paper was incredible - especially for the time.

Texas 2006 class had

• 1 top 10 player
  • 2 top 20 players
  • 4 top 50 players
  • 4 top 100 players
  • 13 top 200 players
  • and had 4 of the top 10 players in the state

USC was #1 that year, their class had

• 2 top 10 players
  • 4 top 20 players
  • 9 top 50 players
  • 14 top 100 players
  • 17 top 200 players

Florida was #2 that year, their class had

• 1 top 10 player
  • 1 top 20 players
  • 4 top 50 players
  • 9 top 100 players
  • 17 top 200 players

Georgia was #3 that year, their class had

• 2 top 10 players
  • 3 top 20 players
  • 4 top 50 players
  • 9 top 100 players
  • 15 top 200 players

1 minute ago, NoName said:

i wrote this whole thing not understanding, what are you talking about but now i see you are talking about the class being filled with bread and you weren't kidding. bad news for you though, the 06 USC class probably wouldn't have been topped. 5 5*s and one of the highest rated classes ever in the 247 database. that said...

the 6 lowest rated guys in the class all committed within 60 days of days of the prior years's NSD. 9 of the bottom 10 all committed before June was over.

what i wrote before:

Hide contents

i pulled these from 247 because they have actual rankings there while Rivals only has stars. The Rivals state of Texas has very different rankings than 247 composite ones. either way the underlying info is fine for this exercise.

Texas took a slightly smaller class than those other guys but the USC class had 5 5*. Florida had 3 5*s. Texas had 2. The 06 class was pretty top heavy - no players ranked between 37 and 102. lots of guys in the top 200 but 5 of them were in the 150-200 range.

the 06 USC team was i think #10 all time in 247's rankings. i think that one and the 2010 Florida class are the only ones in the top 10 that weren't from the last decade. that USC 06 class on paper was incredible - especially for the time.

Texas 2006 class had

• 1 top 10 player
  • 2 top 20 players
  • 4 top 50 players
  • 4 top 100 players
  • 13 top 200 players
  • and had 4 of the top 10 players in the state

USC was #1 that year, their class had

• 2 top 10 players
  • 4 top 20 players
  • 9 top 50 players
  • 14 top 100 players
  • 17 top 200 players

Florida was #2 that year, their class had

• 1 top 10 player
  • 1 top 20 players
  • 4 top 50 players
  • 9 top 100 players
  • 17 top 200 players

Georgia was #3 that year, their class had

• 2 top 10 players
  • 3 top 20 players
  • 4 top 50 players
  • 9 top 100 players
  • 15 top 200 players

From what I recall about that class as well is that after we won there were tons of recruits who were knocking on the door to try and come here but Mack didn't want to be the bad cop so to say and recruit over good kids.

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

From what I recall about that class as well is that after we won there were tons of recruits who were knocking on the door to try and come here but Mack didn't want to be the bad cop so to say and recruit over good kids.

Who else would we have gotten? That class also looks like it has a huge bust rate, I don't recognize hardly any of those USC guys.

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Well his only hashtag that isn't a school's cheer probably gives the game away

Yeah, I saw that and that’s why I asked.  He is a taller receiver that is pretty fast that seems worthy of an offer.  Wasn’t sure if there is an underlying reason why we didn’t offer. 

15 minutes ago, Burntcowboy said:

Yeah, I saw that and that’s why I asked.  He is a taller receiver that is pretty fast that seems worthy of an offer.  Wasn’t sure if there is an underlying reason why we didn’t offer. 

Purely based on the Tweet - terminal vaginitis with some light brain disorders thrown in.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Forgive me ignorance on the matter but this isn't entirely clear to me. It seems like we're seeing a lot of guys without rankings and/or similar offer lists being "offered." Are these Bama style "offers" to come do a workout at a camp? Or are they indicative of the staff thinking "this guy can play and we don't care what his offer list and $9.95er ranking look like?" I'd imagine there's some of both but I was just wondering. 

48 minutes ago, campcrunk said:

Forgive me ignorance on the matter but this isn't entirely clear to me. It seems like we're seeing a lot of guys without rankings and/or similar offer lists being "offered." Are these Bama style "offers" to come do a workout at a camp? Or are they indicative of the staff thinking "this guy can play and we don't care what his offer list and $9.95er ranking look like?" I'd imagine there's some of both but I was just wondering. 

I think he had new tape come out because he got like 15 offers in a week. West Feliciana isn’t a recruiting hotbed, so he probably just got noticed. This a legit offer if I had to guess.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, campcrunk said:

Not sure I'd trust rankings at this part of the cycle. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, IDIOTsavant said:

I think he had new tape come out because he got like 15 offers in a week. West Feliciana isn’t a recruiting hotbed, so he probably just got noticed. This a legit offer if I had to guess.

1 hour ago, Bevo14 said:

Not sure I'd trust rankings at this part of the cycle. 

That's kind of what I figured. Some guys I've seen described as really, really high priority targets don't seem to have the rankings to match and there's always a TON of movment up and down the lists over the next year. Was just wondering. Thanks, y'all!

6 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Holy shit, he's FAST. 

i-said-god-damn!-uma-thurman.gif

I assume we're looking at him as a safety then? Although he actually does seem to be a better passer than a lot of the kids we recruit who play the "go win the game" position. 

12 hours ago, campcrunk said:

Holy shit, he's FAST. 

i-said-god-damn!-uma-thurman.gif

I assume we're looking at him as a safety then? Although he actually does seem to be a better passer than a lot of the kids we recruit who play the "go win the game" position. 

Maybe, but I like his film better with the ball in his hands. WR if he can catch. 

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

Saw somewhere that Jaden Allen may not stay in the class. Mutual?

Multiple reports from the $9.95ers have said that his big brother, BJ, has gained a decent amount of weight and really isn't a factor right now for playing time at safety.  He's also not a LB which you can grow safeties to.  He's already getting recruited over.  Pure speculation, if his big bro isn't likely to see the field at all and is a attrition candidate down the road, then that probably means Jaden is not going to end up in the Texas class, especially with that Bama offer.

Edited by victory88

9 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Multiple reports from the $9.95ers have said that his big brother, BJ, has gained a decent amount of weight and really isn't a factor right now for playing time at safety.  He's also not a LB which you can grow safeties to.  He's already getting recruited over.  Pure speculation, if his big bro isn't likely to see the field at all and is a attrition candidate down the road, then that probably means Jaden is not going to end up in the Texas class, especially with that Bama offer.

BJ not playing one, single down in 2022 is eye popping. If the kid could play at all they would have worked him on special teams. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

3 hours ago, victory88 said:

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

BJ not playing one, single down in 2022 is eye popping. If the kid could play at all they would have worked him on special teams. 

2 hours ago, RGBIII said:

I believe he had mono this year which held him back

He was hurt. I talked to someone about him in January and at that point, there was still a point of view that he could be contributor if he got healthy and lost some of the excess weight. Maybe that has changed, but it wouldn't surprise me if folks were jumping the gun. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls